[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who thought Uni would improve their life socially?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
>Be me
>freshman
>talk to people first day
>they ignore me
>keep trying hard for 2 months
>graduating with no friends this year
>>
Wait until you find out it doesn't help you get a job either
>>
>>30020784
What degree?
Through my whole first year I talked only with two people from my group.
>>
>>30020820
Computer Science, already know I'm fucked for jobs. I'm a sperg at interviews, have no internships/projects and I have a GPA of 2.9
>>
>be me
>undergrad year 1
>miss freshers, join no societies
>lose the will to attend lectures after about 1 month
>summer holidays and I haven't made a single university friend, even after I was forced to go on a 5 day trip with other students, where we shared rooms with piss poor internet connection.
I guess some of us just aren't cut out for friendship.
>>
>>30020874
If you have any advice to upcoming freshmen on making friends what would it be?
>>
>>30020891
Well I go to uni in the uk but I think if I could offer advice that would work anywhere it would be to actively put yourself in a situation where people are new and looking to make friends. I should have joined the gaming and anime societies, a lot of people made friends that way, but I was too self conscious and I'm kind of socially inept.
>>
>>30020784
If you tried to talk to people and they still ignored you, you are probably intolerable to be around.
>>
>>30020979
They didn't exactly ignore me, they just seemed to not acknowledge my presence. They wanted to go to clubs, whilst I didn't, so maybe that was the reason? I just eventually became known as that 'anti-social guy'. Even people in my classes didn't give me the time of the day.
>>
Made a ton of new friends my freshman year and they slowly sloughed away from my life as I realized they all still had the mentalities of high schoolers, and cared only about living it up as much as they could while away from their parents. I doubt any remember me. I get the urge to text people occasionally, only to remember I deleted every single number I had in my telephone.
>>
>>30021044
It's quite hard to bond with most people when most of their social lives revolves around drinking, fucking and gossiping. I had many acquaintances in freshman year that vanished after first semester.
>>
I was the opposite. I went in already expecting to make 0 friends and to sit alone in my room all day. I was prepared and ready for this comfy life, coming out of highschool with a grand total of 0 friends.

Then on week 2 I find this dude talking to my roommates, almost instantly we became friends, best friends later. He introduced me to his 3-person group and we became tight, then we joined 6 others and I now have one best friend and 9 other people I consider to be genuine friends and could talk to any of them about anything for hours.

It truly is random, though I suppose it does depend on the uni too. Everyone in mine is so open to everything, even in making friends with a weirdo like me.

Good luck anons. I hope you find hope like I did.
>>
>>30021231
Yep, it definitely is luck of the draw. Also, you're right in that the Uni you pick is important as well e.g. party schools will have a lot of clubbing-type students, not exactly compatible with robots.
>>
>>30020891
Find a few clubs and go to meetings. At minimum settle on one you like. Do this freshman year, and you'll have time to build up your esteem with the people in it. Guarantees you spme friends, or at peast friendly acquaintences.

Pay attention to the people in your classes. Try to see who is on your wavelength, and befriend them. You have a whole semester to get to know the people in each of your classes, so don't feel the need to rush things.

Also, be on the lookout for potential roommates (assuming your livinng on campus). You may, like me, hate or dislike your existing roommate. Getting a friend, or at least someone your friendly with, as a roommate makes life so much easier.
Of course, you may get lucky and your random assign may become your friend. But I wouldn't bank on it.
>>
>>30021083
I wonder if it's something people grow out of, that the only reason they're in this state is because of separation from parents, or if it's just human nature. Most don't support themselves, and even if they do there's a safety net to enable their hedonism. People aren't worth knowing, and it's absolutely terrifying to live the rest of one's life with that in mind.

Been to many parties, anon? I have. Every single one is the same, a bunch of millenials sit around drinking 'cool' drinks (rum's a popular one here) and listening to top 40's hits. They never stray far from the 1 or 2 people they came with, and everything's the same until people gradually leak out of the house, always going GREAT PARTY and drive home drunk.
>>
>>30020856
Jfc, are you me? Did I black out and post this? I match literally every detail, and your attitude is bumming me out because I prefer to live in denial.
>>
>go to big state Uni
>meet people in lectures and tutorials
>just talk occasionally between classes, that's all
>semester ends
>they all disappear
>rinse repeat until graduation
>>
>>30021359
Probably better to live in denial desu.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.