[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Internet 1.0 Nostalgia Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
File: blissimage.png (565 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
blissimage.png
565 KB, 800x600
What do you miss? What do you wish would come back? What don't you miss?

I miss the way instead of spending most of your time on a few big sites, you would spend small amounts of time on smaller sites.

>the forums of some random site for discussion about your interests
>your local cities newspapers website for news
>newgrounds for games and animation
>ebaums world for funny pictures and other games/animations
>blogger or livejournal for blogging
>flickr for photos
>AIM for chatting

These days, people can do all that without ever leaving normiebook. The web became a pretty homogenized place once a few big sites decided to do everything for everyone. I liked it more when you spent more time at different places that had their own personalities and cultures.

Just one more way the world is gets shittier in smaller but noticeable ways.
>>
Nothing.

The only thing I had close to 4chan was the Morrowind development forum, until someone had to use the phone.

Also had to hoard everything I downloaded onto burnable cds and eventually external hard drives since it would take a week to download a gig.
>>
Oddysay of hyrule in 1998/1999 during the world wide hunt for the triforce in ocarina of time.
>>
File: internet.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
internet.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
I don't know what OP is talking about, but I miss the late 90s and early 00s internet experience. It was the time just before computers and internet became everyday thing. It was back when computers and internet were for the people interested to use them, and for people who had to use them. Nowadays computers can fit in your pocket, and everybody has a 24/7 access to facebook and twitter.

>that aesthetic that is nowadays known as "vaporwave"
>that mysterious feeling and mind blowing realization when you think that all that text/live chat you're reading is written by other people around the world
>those grainy slowly loading pictures
>streamable super tiny resolution movie trailers that felt super futuristic to watch on your computer screen

Surely everything is faster and slicker nowadays, but I do miss the original internet feeling. I still use IRC and UNIX based operating systems for that very same reason. It's exciting when everything is not visualized and polished, they give me that feel of rush I got as a kid when I connected to internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfMrVKnGzwg
>>
>>30012169
the dial-up sound

that's about it
>>
File: angry-white-man.jpg (68 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
angry-white-man.jpg
68 KB, 633x758
>playing runescape
>pking
>phone rings
>mom answers
>find myself dead in lumbridge
>>
I miss those lovingly crafted fansites with unreliable information.
>>
>>30012372
>tfw only got into camp hyrule in it's final year.

What did I miss?
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.