[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the longest you've ever gone without intentionally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: 1467879041267.jpg (201 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1467879041267.jpg
201 KB, 600x600
What's the longest you've ever gone without intentionally using your voice for anything.

9 years here.
I used to have to speak very slightly to get things from people until I realized I can just claim to be mute due to a physical injury, so that's what I did.
I now grow my own food, self employ and haven't said a word to anyone in almost a decade.
>>
>>30006203

Is that what you'd thought you do?
>>
post vocaroo of you talking desu
>>
>>30006203
Do you live somewhere rural? What all do you grow, OP?
>>
>>30006203
Become a monk OP
>>
>>30006226
this

>>30006203
why would you go this far not to speak?

>I now grow my own food, self employ and haven't said a word to anyone in almost a decade.
are you lonely or happy?
>>
>>30006203
This is really impressive.
I went 3-4 months due to being a shut-in.
>>
>>30006203
how are you even still sane, lad?
>>
File: harold.jpg (144 KB, 850x720) Image search: [Google]
harold.jpg
144 KB, 850x720
>>30006203
I talk to myself on a regular basis, so probably not very long
>>
>>30006221
What do you mean?

>>30006226
I would, but I purposely have no microphone for obvious reasons. I've tried speaking a few times in the past and my voice is somewhat weak and sort of hurts when I attempt to use it.

>>30006230
I live in a very rural area indeed. I won't say where because I'm sort of paranoid, but it is in the United States. I primarily grow carrots, tomatoes, etc.
I will go to the shop to get meat because you don't have to speak to anybody there if you don't want to, just get what I need and leave after paying.

>>30006249
I'm half way there with no speaking thing.

>>30006256
I've simply always hated speaking to people and when I was younger, I hated the sound of human voices even more for some reason. I've mostly gotten over the latter thing, but I still dislike speaking and see it as somewhat unnecessary. Plus, I've always sort of had problems with my throat that made it hurt to speak too much, as my vocal cords were damaged by a few things when I was a kid.
I am very happy, generally speaking. It was harder when I was younger after the first few months because I'm somewhat of a complicated person with an unfortunate life, so being unable to express myself vocally, even on my own, was sort of painful. After a short while, it became easier. I live completely normally now with the exception of speech.

>>30006295
No idea.
>>
File: 1466752796271.jpg (69 KB, 579x501) Image search: [Google]
1466752796271.jpg
69 KB, 579x501
>>30006398
OP here. As a followup to my response spree, I'll say that I didn't expect to get so many questions. I'll be here for a very long time, so if any of you wants to ask any more, I'll answer whatever because I have nothing else to do.
Shameless self bump, by the way.
>>
File: 1446050627578.jpg (7 KB, 285x287) Image search: [Google]
1446050627578.jpg
7 KB, 285x287
>Working at a Dry Cleaner with a Stacey
>Sorting clothes while we work
>She tries initiating a few conversations, they're uninteresting and unrelatable, I can tell she really doesn't care
>It's becoming apparent that the silence is bothering her, like she can't wrap her head around someone not talking very much
>Eventually she pipes up "You know, you don't talk very much."
>Respond with "Maybe you just talk too much."
>Work in silence for the rest of my shift
>At one point she gets on her phone to talk with a friend, actually starts bitching about how "Yeah, he said I talk too much, can you fucking believe that."

It's good to know that my petty existence alone is enough to knock them down a peg
>>
>>30006780
>Eventually she pipes up "You know, you don't talk very much."
>Respond with "Maybe you just talk too much."

Damn. Stacy bitch BTFO.
>>
File: 1465033417184.png (878 KB, 1653x1023) Image search: [Google]
1465033417184.png
878 KB, 1653x1023
>>30006780
Alpha desu familia
>>
>>30006780
Damn, man. That's like something I'd dream of doing.
>>
File: 1434170801004.png (145 KB, 338x328) Image search: [Google]
1434170801004.png
145 KB, 338x328
>>30006398
>I am very happy, generally speaking
>generally speaking
>>
>>30006857
the samurai jack reboot looks great
>>
>>30006857
Well, if it consoles you, I am still a virgin and I've not been in a relationship since I told someone in the 4th grade that I like them and they said we were in a relationship for 4 days before going with another person instead.
I don't let any of that get me down though. I honestly have no real urge to have a relationship anymore, not since I was about 16 or 17.
>>
wow. longest ive gone was like 3 weeks from not leaving my room. you sure beat my record, ha.
>>
>>30006664
How did you get the land you live on? I mean, how did you afford it? It's my dream to live like that one day, but I barely make more than minimum wage, and I have family, and I'm lazy, and I hate myself, but I can dream I guess. Anyways, you said you're self-employed, what do you do if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>>30006926
Anon I'm perfectly alright with you being happy. It's the pun that made me booty-bothered.

Could you describe your experience of conscious thought? Mine is generally a sort of mental spoken voice, and if I focus, I catch instantaneous "feelings" that must be consciously thought as normal-speed mental spoken thoughts.

Do you still have that since you haven't spoken in so long?
>>
>>30006967
The land I live on was owned by my grandfather before he died from pneumonia.
That's the bad part about living in a rural area. They had no hospitals, only volunteers.
He was put into the back of a stranger's pickup truck and driven to the nearest medical facility which was a veteran's hospital more than 40 miles away. Drowned from the fluid in his lungs.

I got off track there, but I can't say I know the going price for land these days. Maybe in the 200,000 to 800,000 range?
What I do, I essentially do odd jobs of all kinds. I won't get too far into it, since some of it is admittedly a little shady (no, not sex work) but I do enjoy helping people in any way.

>>30007023
I do still speak in my head, although since I don't know what my voice actually sounds like nowadays, my mind still speaks in a vague sound that resembles my early teen self's voice. Rather high, but nice.
However, that's only when I'm thinking about something complex. Other than that, I think in shapes and actions, sort of like a plan of action being drawn in the sand with a stick, but in my brain. If anything, this way of thinking is much faster and more efficient.
>>
>>30007105
Interesting, I pretty much only think vocally. It is somewhat easy to visualize graphs and shapes, but I've no clue how to go about trying to think more thoughts in those terms.

Could you give an example of something you recently thought about in terms of geometry?
>>
>>30007105
>shady

You buy cold medicine for cooks, yeah. I've done it a couple times, they usually pay at least $20 which is cool, easy money.
>>
I'm okay with my voice most of the time but as soon as I hear it on a video or recording I just feel super embarrassed for anyone that's had to hear it.
>>
>>30007105
>>30007181
Sorry about your grandfather btw
>>
>>30007196
This
Originaldo commentardo
>>
>>30007158
Hmm. I can't quite think of anything that really well exemplifies it, but when I think of a gun, I don't say the word or model in my head, I picture the gun in detail, like a 3D model in my head unless I really need to pull up the model name. I'm on /k/ a lot, so I do that often.
When I think of eating something, pictures pop into my mind of things that may sound sort of good at the moment, starting as vague shapes and will get more refined as I imagine them more. Then I go off to get whatever it is I imagined.

>>30007181
Oh, no, the things I do aren't so simple. Though, I do sort of wish they'd give more money for that, since it is rather easy.
>>
>>30006398
>I am very happy, generally speaking. It was harder when I was younger after the first few months because I'm somewhat of a complicated person with an unfortunate life, so being unable to express myself vocally, even on my own, was sort of painful. After a short while, it became easier. I live completely normally now with the exception of speech.
i'm glad to hear that you're happy. i've been hermit for a while and i'd love to live the way you do (rural and self-sufficient) but i feel like i'd go mad if i didn't have at least one person to talk to. maybe it wouldn't be as bad if i had internet though. i don't have anything against speaking really, but every day i come here because i enjoy chatting and shitposting with anonymous strangers a million times more than i enjoy close relationships. i feel like i am suited to a solitary lifestyle except i do wish i had a relationship. i never had one before but i want it. if i could have one person to come live with me out in the country i think i would be happy.

anyway, could you tell me more about yourself and your earlier life and how that relates to your choices? (if it's personal i'll understand)

why did you choose to move away from other people? was it a dislike for speaking, for interacting or something else?

have you considered or tried hunting or fishing for meat?

do you not interact with anyone at all in real life or do you just play mute when you do interact?

would you ever want to live with someone again?

what if you wanted to buy a very small piece of land? would it still cost so much?

how long have you been growing your own food and how difficult was it to learn? did you grow up on a farm or did you have to learn how to do these things as you went?
>>
>>30007270
>could you tell me more about yourself and your earlier life and how that relates to your choices?
Well, putting it plainly, I was abused during childhood. Starved, whipped, neglected, etc. The memory of it all doesn't really affect me in the least. Didn't then, doesn't now. However, it's been said that I have post traumatic stress disorder from it and other things, so maybe that could correlate?

>why did you choose to move away from other people? was it a dislike for speaking, for interacting or something else?
A little bit of both, I suppose. Interacting with other humans, especially talking to them, makes me happy on occasion, but most often it's just tiring. Not saying I don't enjoy answering these questions, of course. I just meant moreso in casual interaction in real life.

>have you considered or tried hunting or fishing for meat?
Oh, I do and have. I don't fish very much, but I do shoot deer and bunnies on occasion to skin and prepare. Deer offer quite a bit of food which lasts, since I'm living on my own and I don't eat much.

>do you not interact with anyone at all in real life or do you just play mute when you do interact?
I do like to interact with other humans on occasion. It's fun to play with people in whatever way. I can and do laugh, but it's usually a silent thing where you can only hear breath being expelled. Sometimes, however, I can't hold it in and I will laugh vocally to some extent. People often find this cute and endearing, as they never hear my voice.

>would you ever want to live with someone again?
If anything, I would like a roommate who I can play with and listen to their stories. I'm obviously a very good listener now, but it's always been that way. Since I was very young, listening to others talk is my favorite thing to do.
A romantic relationship, I'm not so sure, simply on the grounds that I don't think it would work out well.
Continuing in next reply
>>
>>30007270
>>30007439

>what if you wanted to buy a very small piece of land? would it still cost so much?
Likely not. Depends on how small. Could maybe cost something like 60,00. I say that if you want to buy land, work and work until you can. It's a very liberating thing and offers a lot of room to have fun on your own and do things you want to do. If it's out of the way and you enjoy firearms, it gives you room to practice shooting a lot. Getting ammunition for me is kind of funny, since I merely point to a box of the stuff I need behind the counter or the same with a gun, then if I want to buy it, I take out the money. People are understanding.

>how long have you been growing your own food and how difficult was it to learn? did you grow up on a farm or did you have to learn how to do these things as you went?
For all intents and purposes, I'm a city boy who grew up for the mostpart in Las Vegas, Nevada. I still visit there from time to time and I'm living there as we speak, though not for long.
I had to learn as I went along, but I read various books and such through the years and now it's rather easy. I've been growing my own food for maybe 5 years.
>>
>>30006203
Record yourself on vocaroo pls
>>
>>30007844
Sorry, man. No microphone. I would if I had one. Maybe I can find one around here and if I do, I can make a quick something
>>
>>30007439
>>30007489
thank you for all the responses.

i'm sorry you had a terrible childhood, even if you believe it doesn't affect you. i had nothing as bad as you but my mother was physically (hitting, kicking, slapping) and emotionally abusive (screaming, insulting, threatening) and also negligent (had two or three emergency room level injuries before the age of 10 because she just didn't care) and i know that it still deeply affects me and i how i relate to other people. i don't trust anyone at all.

as a city boy, how did you learn to farm? and how much of your diet comes from what you grow, all of it? how much land does that take for one person?

i want to seriously do this myself but am a lifelong city person too and i don't want to get into something i can't handle. i planted a small fruit/veggie garden in my backyard one year but nothing large scale and i did a terrible job haha many of my tomatoes rotted or didn't grow properly for some unknown reason. and animals ate a lot of the strawberries. don't know about guns or hunting at all but i'd love to learn so i could be truly self sufficent. don't know how to go about learning any of these skills but i think this is what i'm planning to do anyway. maybe i'll fuck up but it's better to try and fail than to dream about it and never try. i'm not a fan of society.
>>
>>30007926
Everyone's trauma is the same, I believe. The event that traumatized one person likely did so just as badly as the traumatic event someone else experienced, even if they differ in severity to the public.
Learning to farm, it was essentially a long ass time of reading books and online guides, trial and error, etc.
Maybe about 30-40% of my diet consists of what I grow, since I only grow a few fruits and vegetables. Other than that, I occasionally hunt or go to town to get some other stuff.
If you want, you and I could talk together some more over some medium of your choice and you can ask some more stuff later, since it seems like you're seriously considering trying to begin that lifestyle. Not sure how much I'll be able to help, but maybe we can just continue talking after if you want.
>>
>>30007439
You /sound/ like a really cool guy, OP. I'd be delighted to be your roomate. By play, do you mean to say that you play an instrument?
I'm a sperglord, so I prefer to keep to myself, too, but you seem to be living the sweet life of minimal interaction.
>>
>>30008044
I don't play any instruments, but I do wish to. I should pick it up some time soon.
By play, I mostly meant games and such with other people. Video games, tag, catch, what have you. I enjoy the simple things.
As I said to the other guy, if you wanted, we could keep in contact over a medium of your choice.
>>
>>30008037
i've found and perused a couple of self-sufficiency guides online but they haven't been great.

that would be cool anon. do you have a throwaway email? i don't have skype or anything like that but emails are cool.
>>
>>30008151
It might sound like I'm trolling you with this, but this is my throwaway email
[email protected]
>>
>>30008094
You very well should! Many guitar greats of recent years spent their days in the country, honing their craft. I actually work in a cozy, little music store, so I could get you a discount of stuff, if you so desired.
That genuinely sounds like fun! I too enjoy the simple things in life.
Okie doke, well I have no issue with sharing a back-up email: [email protected]
>>
>>30006780
God damn, nice one. I'm not usually one to be happy about other's discomfort, but she got blown the fuck out.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.