[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who else /toooldtogotocollege/ here? I'm 24 and I see people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 10
File: 87_year_old_rose[1].jpg (69 KB, 640x494) Image search: [Google]
87_year_old_rose[1].jpg
69 KB, 640x494
Who else /toooldtogotocollege/ here? I'm 24 and I see people getting shit for being in college at 23+
>>
Are you kidding? If you're that worried about people judging you (which they won't) go to a community college.

Jesus, it's like you're just making up reasons to be complacent.
>>
It's not too old you lazy NEET
>>
>>29996455
I'm not a neet tho I make $10 an hour. Just seems pointless when I'll only have my degree when I'm almost 30. Lifes basically over at that point.
>>
File: 1466309094600.png (879 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
1466309094600.png
879 KB, 1080x1080
>>29996381
Whether it's community college or state college or whatever, literally no one cares how old you are.

Really, the only annoying types of people are militaryfags going to college on the GI bill who won't shut the fuck up about the military, and women who think that because they're mothers they have special insight to whatever topic you're talking about which magically grants them the right to argue with the professor
>>
When I went to college there were people over the age of fifty or more in some of my classes. Now that I'm over fifty I think of auditing classes at a college just for fun and self improvement. But I hesitate as I'd be in among mostly 18 to 21 year olds. Plus I'm kind of an introverted loner.

>inb4 how did you find 4chan grandpa

I've loved computers since before the first Apple computers. I dialed into BBSes on a 300 baud modem, uphill, both ways.
>>
>>29996561
FUCK you're old cunt
>>
File: 1468134457955.jpg (66 KB, 906x906) Image search: [Google]
1468134457955.jpg
66 KB, 906x906
I'm 22 and I don't have a single community college credit.

I make 13.50/hr working in a warehouse for a ubiquitous company and I'm living from paycheck to paycheck.
>>
I just signed up and going in september and I am 29
I'm really into politics and I wanna help run campaigns or actually be the campaign manager for republican types if I am so lucky.. it's going to be shit before all of that but it's the goal at least. if not I'll use my degree to teach
>>
>>29996569
how good are you at flipping burgers?
>>
>>2999665
McVeryGood
>>
>>29996381
I went to a community college for web design, and another time for network administration, and I was 27/29 years old. I seriously thought I would be the oldfag.

In both instance there were 50 fucking year olds. Fifty.

Actually most people were around my age or older, only a couple of 20 year olds.

A lot of Chinese and random immigrants who were already doing this back in Fujian or whatever and just needed to study it here again for a certification. Some bored housewives, etc.

One of the 50 year olds legit could not even operate a web browser, dude was so out of his element. The other 50 year old was giving it all he's got though and made it all the way through.
>>
>>29996828
I took an English comp class in CC (nights, rushed half semester course) and nobody in the class was older than 30. Most of them were younger than me and I was 21.
>>
>>29996381
I started college at 23. Graduated when I was 29. It was a fun time but didn't do anything for me career-wise.
>>
>>29996828
i can understand a 60+ year old not really knowing how to use a computer that well, but i don't understand how someone who is 50 that can't open a web browser... that guy was 20 in 1990. how the fuck do you get through the 90s without operating a computer?
>>
I got a degree in microbiology, got tired of making minimum wage. Didn't want to go to grad school because even then you're still making minimum wage.

Just finished my first year of engineering at 29. And I'm not even the oldest one in my classes. And nobody fucking cares. It's not a big deal.
>>
>>29996852
It was probably just stoners kids and former NEETs taking a random class just to get their parents off their back, especially something like English comp. It depends on the class you're taking.
>>
>>29996533
Why are you doing it then? I can vouch that there's nothing to life after 30, so why don't you just save up money, take out loans, sell everything, and do something fun, travel the world or something?
>>
Nobody fucking cares I'm nearly 23 and I have friends in their 30's on campus.
>>
Anyone take Japanese at college? Kinda suspect it's just a group of weebs dressed like Naruto. Can anyone confirm? Maybe I should take Mandarin...
>>
>>29997045
I didn't, but I knew several of them were in the anime club.
>>
No one cares how old you are.
Quit comparing yourself to people.
Who gives a shit that some asshole graduated at 22?
>>
>>29996978
I'm not going to college that's why I made the thread. And yeah I kind of want to travel the country while living in my car.
>>
Dawg, I went to community college after high school and I was the only one my age there. It was all adults. You'd be young there and save a bunch of money while getting your degree. Community college master race
>>
>>29997045
i had a friend a while ago, his brother was a full on jap game playing fat weeb. he took japanese in college. last i heard he was working for some video game company translating shit to english
>>
>>29996381
>/toooldtogotocollege/ h
what does that mean?
>>
>>29996882

Well even by the 90s computers weren't THAT common, depending on your field of work. My mom is her in her 60s and was a teacher and she didn't start using computers and the internet, at least at home, by the mid/late-2000s.

The dude was a freelance wedding photographer and totally in debt so he thought he'd just be making easy money by making websites on this "internet" thing. He could barely navigate websites, let alone learn to code to make or even use photoshop. Everytime I looked over to his computer he had like 37 tabs open, a third of which were all pop-up ads.

I'm guessing he was just stuck doing photography with film and overcharging people for it & never fully made the jump to digital.
>>
>>29996601
Femanon here, is that you? Wanna go out sometime?
>>
File: christinespengler-2.jpg (41 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
christinespengler-2.jpg
41 KB, 333x500
i worked with a programer once that started his CS degree in uni when he was 30 and was a father of 3 kids.

Had the first kid when he was 18 quit school and worked construction for all of his life until that point. Before his first CS class he had never turn on a computer before.

He had quite a story, super bright, was also a chain smoker tho. Last time i saw him he was enroling for the master's degree
>>
>>29996541
>Really, the only annoying types of people are militaryfags going to college on the GI bill who won't shut the fuck up about the military, and women who think that because they're mothers they have special insight to whatever topic you're talking about which magically grants them the right to argue with the professor

As a graduate student who teaches Composition, this.

Most of the people who are in graduate school are what's referred to as nontraditional students - meaning that they're 24+ or already have their first degree or a couple of other criteria.

Really, OP, you'll be fine. It took me 6 years to get my undergrad; nobody's given me any shit for it except myself.
>>
>>29996381
It is really that uncommon for americans to have older people in their classes? In my country is common as fuck to see 25+ people taking classes.
Hell one of my actual classmates is an 60 years old lady with grandsons.
>>
I regret ever going to university
>>
>>29997204
>>Most of the people who are in graduate school are what's referred to as nontraditional students
Well he's not going to fucking grad school retard.
>>
>>29997226
Did you accrue a large student loan debt and not finish a meme degree?
>>
>>29997045
I did it, there were some cringy weeb girls but also a couple of guys who were cool and went there for the language and not for anime.
>>
>>29997236
I'm just referring to the collegiate environment in general.

Besides, it's not like if you're an undergrad you have to sew a scarlet "U" onto your sleeve or something. People who see him will probably assume he's a grad student except for the handful of undergrads he has classes with.

People are generally too busy paying more attention to themselves and their own flaws to notice those of others, let alone care enough about them to make the effort it takes to nitpick and browbeat them.
>>
there are parents in my summer cc classes and there were 30+ year olds in my general ed classes at uni

who cares
>>
>>29997045
It depends on why & where and when you take it. You'll probably see ESL types, some business and commerce Chads, probably some language-collecting geniuses, and yes maybe a few weebs who just want to listen to their hentai without subs.

Your city or village or whatever might have a Japanese cultural center where they teach Japanese to actual Japanese people but also welcome gaijins.
>>
>>29997262
oh I finished my degree, all I have to show for it is a large dept and a shit job for shit pay I probably could have gotten without a 4 year degree.
>>
>>29997321
Well at least you finished it. Good job, Anon! Maybe use this work xp to get another job.
>>
>>29996381
You know whats worse than going to college as a 23+?
Being uneducated and having a shit job and no money.
Go to school you appearance obsessed fuck.
>>
>>29997371
I would have prefer id just gone to work straight out of highschool or gone to a trade school.
>>
>>29996381
I wouldn't say you're too old to be in college if you're still in your 20s. If college is benefiting you, the opinions of others really shouldn't matter.
>>29997045
It's the language weebs take in college.
Expect pretentious weebs.
>>
>>29997380
It's not like anyone is going to care about his degree if he's 30+, if he doesn't have a career by then, his life is over anyway.
>>
File: 1440611966963.jpg (107 KB, 500x782) Image search: [Google]
1440611966963.jpg
107 KB, 500x782
>>29997380
this post sponsored by the jew bankers profiting off the unimeme
>>
File: wojak bungee jumping.png (425 KB, 652x1224) Image search: [Google]
wojak bungee jumping.png
425 KB, 652x1224
>>29997226

I regret never going to university

I'm a 30 year old live at home NEET, people my age have kids and careers and houses of their own
>>
>>29997045
Why would just flip-flop between Japanese and Mandarin?

What's your reason for wanting to learn a non-specific Asian language?
>>
>>29996381
Imagine the shit you'll get for the rest of your life for never going at all
>>
>>29997422
"Should I guarantee that I'll go nowhere in life? Or risk possibly learning things and doing things?"
>>
>>29997459
I went to uni and still ended up as a 30 year old neet living at home.
>>
>>29997459
i'm almost 30 and i don't know one single person my age that owns his own house, they can't fucking afford it
>>
>>29997422
Fuck off with your standards. Just because someone doesn't go in a specific path in life in a streamline fashion, doesn't mean their life is over, you fucking insecure chink-spawn.
Finishing your degree at age 30 in a career you genuinely enjoy being in is better than finishing your degree at age 22 in something you hate but are doing anyway to cut your loses.
I swear, all you kids want to do is rush into a career for the sake of "not falling behind".
>>
>>29997508
>>29997513
Imagine how much money I'd save by not going... How many people start their careers in their 30s? Also I give NO shits about going to college to "learn and do things".
>>
>>29997459
I went to university and im still in your shoes, its a fucking pyramid scheme.
>>
>>29997561
>>Finishing your degree at age 30 in a career you genuinely enjoy being in is better
Ok, how? Unless you've advanced in your career so much that you're in a leadership position, no one is ever going to hire you for anything after 35, until you reach retirement age so you can be a Walmart greeter.
>>
>>29997620
So says you.
>>
>>29997507
Because I've been to Japan but Mandarin seems practical in Canada. Just want to learn another language.
>>
I'm eleven and I'm in 14 colleges n ur a virgin
>>
>>29997682
MODS
UNDERAGE
IMMEDIATELY BAN
>>
>>29997666
Learn Spanish. Most of the US will be speaking it soon.
>>
>>29996381
Im 27 and Im going to a community college to get a second degree
you're never told old anon
>>
>>29997666
Learn French or Spanish, not only are they easier to learn than Japanese or Chinese but they're much more useful in Canada/the Americas.
>>
>24
>too old for college

Jesus christ, do you know how many people wait a few solid years after high school to save for a university? I guarantee most of the people you go to school with will be around 20 - 27ish
>>
>>29997884
I think it depends where you go. My community college was full of older people, but my university was full of young people.
>>
>>29996915
nah, it was people who were sheltered and trying to save money by going to CC and it was kids who got kicked out of university for failing too many classes
>>
File: 1209.png (60 KB, 190x206) Image search: [Google]
1209.png
60 KB, 190x206
>>29997158
is that a joke

pic related is me
>>
>>29997321
>dept instead of debt
>wonders why he has a shit job even though he has a degree.
>>
>>29997949
shave the neckbeard laddie
>>
You shouldn't be in any rush to join the workforce. I got my degree later than most at 24, and started working that year. I was still the youngest person in my office by about 5 years.

Trust me, being the youngest person in the office is lame. My age quickly became the "go to" joke for cheap laughs. Being made fun of for being young starts to get on your nerves. You can only fake laugh along so many times before it just gets old. It got to the point I pretty much stopped participating in any unnecessary conversations, because they would always leave me feeling agitated.

Plus school life is way better than working, at any age, you're actively learning, there's less pressure, less monotony. You don't have to get up at the ass crack of dawn just to sit in traffic. I'm saving to go back for a masters.
>>
>>29998112
hush anon, everybody makes mistakes
>>
>>29998171
>joining an industry full of old folks
Should've joined a hip startup like the rest of the Chads and Stacys.
>>
>>29996381
I had a 70 year old woman in my intro to electronics course die halfway through the semester, 24 isn't too old, although if you're balding or some shit you might get looks or something idk.
>>
>>29997798
>>29997846
Spanish it is. Thanks faggots.
>>
>>29998247
yeh I am bald
>>
>>29998178
It wasn't a mistake. He legitimately thinks it's the correct spelling.
>>
some senior woman who was in one of my classes told me to have a good weekend on a tuesday afternoon after I held a door open for her. that is when I decided that the elderly had to go
>>
>>29998144
it makes me look distinguished
>>
I'm 27 and in nursing school. I fucking love it,qt bitches everywhere and they pretend the material is hard so lots of excuses to have study groups with 11/10 patooties. I have baby face so I just ask them to guess when they ask then say good guess. They know I can buy alcohol but that's it. On the OR floor I'm asked what grade I'm in sometimes. It's a good job for robots. You naturally become a leader, we might an well put our superior intelligence to use. It tickles our neet tendencies too, only 3 days of work a week but 70k average salary, for just an associates. Avoid medsurg, ER, and clinics and you should have it made. I got a comfy job in an acute psych and chemical dependence place. They only make about 55k but they seriously don't do anything but read and watch movies all night.
>>
>>29998247
>I had a 70 year old woman in my intro to electronics course die halfway through the semester

Kek, fell for the STEM master race meme literally
>>
>>29997152
>a third of which were all pop-up ads.
laughed when I read this.
>>
lol I just got my degree at 34
>>
>>29996381

I am 24 and graduated 2 years ago. But I was there youngest of all my friends. Most people I graduated with were 26 - 27.
>>
My grandma did a degree in physics when she was 81 at Cambridge.

She wanted to go on and do a physics degree when she was in high school but WW2 pretty much fucked England up to the point where she couldn't. She's a pretty neat old lady.
>>
>>29998638
okay get back to us when someone gives you a job in your field
>>
>>29998247
>nah people wont judge you

really?

>actually people will judge you lol
>>
lmao i'm 18 and already 1 year into my degree
>>
>>29996381

My sister is 29 and studying construction management undergraduate. She started when she was 18. You should be able to destroy all the teenagers just starting college with your superior wisdom and life experience.
>>
I started pre-med when I was 23. Started med school when I was 26. Going to finish med school when I'm 30.

Which doesn't sound too old but medicine is definitely one of those degrees people go straight from high school into. So everyone in my class was 17-18 and I was 23. Big leap. I just got my shit done and topped classes.
>>
>>29998764
Were you good in High School?
>>
I'm in my first year of uni at age 24, 25 in August. Nobody gives a fuck and there's 2 other 24 yr olds in my class and a 31 year old. Everybody treats you the same p. much.
>>
>>29998759
>You should be able to destroy all the teenagers just starting college with your superior wisdom and life experience

This sounds like a meme but honestly, if you have some motivation you really will. If you haven't studied in years it's going to be a steep curve getting into a good study regime, but eventually you'll be efficient and dedicated.
>>
>>29998701

When people that age get a degree, they usually already have a job in their field and they are getting their education so they can move up into a higher-paying, more cushy position that requires "A degree in such-and-such or 20 years of experience"
>>
>>29998701
I was offered a scholarship to do a masters at the college because the faculty liked me. Kids can suck it, I'll probably be offered a job there after I finish.
>>
>>29998830
>Were you good in High School?
Nope. I always thought I was 'smart but lazy'. I'm bright, but not insanely clever. Got shit grades because of it.

I worked for 5 years, traveled and matured a lot because of it. Now I'm a hard worker. Worked hard in pre-med (10-14 hours studying a day) and got into med school via a graduates degree.
>>
>>29996381
I'm 20 and I'm in highschool.
>>
>>29997045

I'm in my second year of Japanese in the UK, and surprisingly there are very few weebs, and for the ones that do exist guaranteed ALL of them fail the first year and are expelled. Now my entire class is just chill people that are legit into linguistics and East Asian history/culture.
>>
My dad started college at 45.
It is never too late to be college cucked, anon.
>>
>>29998933
>I'm 20 and I'm in highschool.
wat
>>
>>29998861
Yeah that or they're one of these memers that do it for the life experience or whatever

But that's my point. You don't go to college when you're old and expect to start a new career.
>>
>>29996381
You're not too old to go to college. I'm 25 and going back to grad school. Everybody I meet on campus takes one look at me and thinks "grad student," not "old guy who shouldn't be here."
>>
>>29998929
I got bad grades in high school because of depression and anxiety issues. I think I could really do well in higher education but I've attempted it and dropped out already.

What you're saying is pretty inspiring to me, I just hope I didn't already ruin my chances by trying and then withdrawing from everything.
>>
Being old in college is the best. I'm 23 now and probably won't graduate until I'm at least 24 or 25. If you're single, it's easier to get laid because younger girls tend to go for older girls. You're also not feeling the same pressures as younger students, like having to drink or fuck or whatever, because you've already done all that. It's not special any more, and you've hopefully already moved on to bigger and better things.

I feel very confident in my classes becaus I know how to deal with school, people, and life better than most of my classmates. I'm graduating late because I've taken time off to travel. I've been to a few dozen countries by myself, and on my own dime, and lived and worked in the third-world for a year. I went to Iraq pre-ISIS and saw the Gezi Park protests in person.

I've also continuously improved my resume. I've gone from being a delivery driver to the operations manager of a logistics company. I'm not rich, but I make about as much money per week as most of my professors, especially the younger ones.

Being older than the norm doesn't have to suck in college. I am sick of school and just want to get my degree, but I wouldn't give up what I've done in the meantime for anything.
>>
>>29998588
Helps distinguish you from Chad
>>
>>29996601
do you live at home? can you actually support yourself on that amount of income?
>>
File: 1382980477325.gif (635 KB, 238x211) Image search: [Google]
1382980477325.gif
635 KB, 238x211
>>29999153
>tend to go for older girls
haha you're a girl lol
>>
>>29999257
That's a good thing. It's a good thing that we don't all look and act and think the same.

There was a Fairly Odd Parents episode about that.
>>
>>29998997

There was a girl in one of my high school classes who was 19 and technically a sophomore. She was really smart and taking AP classes. Super nice too. She basically had to take 2 years off of school because she had serious medical problems when she was younger.
>>
>>29999305
>>29999153

*older guys, my bad. Wrote it on my phone.

Thanks for the catch, senpai.
>>
>>29999281
>do you live at home?
I pay rent to my older brother.

>can you actually support yourself on that amount of income?
yes, all of my bills amount to about $600 a month, which is about 2/3 of one paycheck without any bonus or overtime.

I want to go to school again but it seems really daunting without the kind of foothold a normal PRIVILEGED SUBURBAN anon has like living with his parents and not having to survive by himself. In a lot of ways I am really lucky but it takes a lot of scheming and planning and backup planning to keep going and I still feel like a sloth running with cheetahs.

When it comes to women and a social life and that stuff, I've just sort of resigned to being alone for the rest of my life. I'm just trying very hard to gain some skills and to become self-sufficient.
>>
I go to a community college and I'm 32. I just keep to myself most of the time. Nobody gives me shit about my age.
>>
When I was at uni some guy started at 27 and he also only learned to drive at that age. There were also people on our course in their 40s. No one gives a fuck in the real world, people on the internet may give you flack. Personally I think it's better to work though and make money.
>>
>>30000490
>No one gives a fuck in the real world,
Not true, pretty much everyone does. When I was in university, one chick I knew dated a guy who went there who was 27-28, and she was pretty much ostracized by everyone, when they found that out, they would cut all contact with her, male or female. And that guy had literally no social contact with anyone in any normal age university groups, everyone thought he was a creep for even being there.
>>
>>30000578

Not that guy but you're clearly just making shit up or there were some other factors at play.

I'm 23. Even in some of the 100-level classes I take, there are a decent number of fifth- and sixth-year seniors. It's not unusual at all to be over 22 or 23 in college. My best friend graduated at 25 and is starting medical school next week a few months before his 26th birthday.

Nobody cares. Anybody who's too stupid to realize that not everybody is going to graduate on time isn't worth caring about anyway.
>>
>>30000578
In real life nobody cares.
>>
>>29996381
Fuck, I'm nearly 24 myself. And I've been a neet for years. It's over.
>>
>>30000729
Where do you think this happened, fake life?
>>
My mother went to college at 40 and now she earns more than my dad.

You're worrying about stupid shit.
>>
>>30000805
Yes. It's one of the many made up stories posted on /r9k/.
>>
>>30000849
Did she work while going to college?

If she had your dad to support her, she had it all cake. CC passing rates are fucking horrible and the college directors are under the impression that it has something to do with the resources available. That's not it. People struggle with attending CC because they typically have to spend most of their time working and/or taking care of their families. It's much harder for life to get in the way of your education if you have somebody looking out for you like parents or an SO.
>>
>>30000910
>CC passing rates are fucking horrible... because they typically have to spend most of their time working and/or taking care of their families
That's cute, you think that it's because people don't have enough time when it's actually that most people are stupid.
>>
>>30000975
No, I've been there and I've seen that most of the people aren't struggling with the high school tier work. They stop going, a few weeks to half way into the class.
Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.