[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone ever moved to a major city in their 20s without being
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (12 KB, 450x112) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12 KB, 450x112
Has anyone ever moved to a major city in their 20s without being privileged
>>
>>29965289
>Roommates
>working a saving while still in hs
>determination
oh right i forgot where i was
>>
>>29965289
Oh hey, Chicago. I live there. I grew up in Bolingbrook. It's not the richest area (absolute shit compared to neighboring Naperville) but it wasn't as bad as say, Aurora. I saved up my last year in high school and now I share a flat with my friend. Sometimes money is tight but it's not that bad.
>>
>>29965289
>26
>never got the chance to move to a major city and experience the vibrant youth culture
fuck
>>
>>29965289
didn't you already make this thread a few days ago? i think things were explained pretty nicely there.
>>
File: 1467824899165.jpg (48 KB, 550x368) Image search: [Google]
1467824899165.jpg
48 KB, 550x368
>>29967117
Do you eat ' ' every night?
>>
File: _go_za.jpg (150 KB, 1080x810) Image search: [Google]
_go_za.jpg
150 KB, 1080x810
> be in my 20s, living on the east coast in the middle of nowhere
> get sick of everything
> pack my car up with everything I can fit, leave in the middle of the night
> drive to Highland Park outside of Chicago
> live in my car for almost three months
> spend the day at the public library applying for jobs
> finally get an interview to contact for a large company
> get the job, start making some money, get an apartment
> company wants to keep me, cancel my contact, hire me on as salaried employee

Its been 3 years and I'm still here. Granted I'm miserable and friendless, but it's still better than living in my mom's basement
>>
File: pogeybeach.jpg (41 KB, 598x337) Image search: [Google]
pogeybeach.jpg
41 KB, 598x337
>>29965289
>>29966543

Yep. Grew up in the pporest area of Canada, moved where the jobs/ research contracts were, just accepted a full time career level job in Toronto.

It's overpaid for this level of work too 8)
>>
>>29965289
Nope, I've done it several times but I'm mad privileged.
>>
I moved from the suburbs of San Diego to Fresno
>>
>>29966543
First post, best post. Nailed it.
>>
>>29968409
Damn I wish I had a car how much did you have
>>
>>29968409
what do big companies hire people for when they have little to no experience?

i have a degree with years of experience in multiple countries in a variety of fields and every application goes unanswered.
>>
File: 1468485951669.png (407 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
1468485951669.png
407 KB, 800x450
>>29968639
what big companies post online for jobs often isn;t a job they need to fill at all, and they only look at a resume if it`s outstanding.

jobs they NEED are ones that the internal candidates and external candidates known by the HR consultant (targets, "known quantities") get to compete for before it even goes online.

So for big companies especially, applying to online ads is a bad tactic.

I know because I did about 20 interviews last month and 80% of them were ones I didn't apply for directly.
>>
>>29968628
I had $600 to my name. I pretty much lived on fruit and peanut butter.

>>29968639
I was hired on as a contractor to pretty much do data entry while having no experience. I mostly used the contractor gig as a means to get my foot in the door. I just worked really hard until they offered me a real job that wasn't data entry related and worked my way up from there.
>>
>>29968493
>Toronto
>major city
>>
>>29968816
it's the 4th largest in NA . not that I adore toronto, I'm ditching for a tax haven as soon as I can.
>>
>>29968789
Wouldn't you be fucked if a headlight went out or tire went flat
>>
>>29965289
How many times is this podunk autist going to make this thread?
>>
Mehmet here.
In Germoney is pretty easy
>find a Pension
>register your adress there
>get job
>save money
>find apartment and move in
>?????
>profit
>>
>>29965289
>privileged
stop talking like a faggot
>>
>>29968999
Yep you sure would, fortunately that never happened. I locked my keys in my car once, but luckily I left one of my windows cracked just enough that I was able to unlock my car after about an hour of trying
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.