[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Explain something to me for a sec
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8
File: Burrito Bar 650px 710.jpg (300 KB, 650x520) Image search: [Google]
Burrito Bar 650px 710.jpg
300 KB, 650x520
I want to ask you guys a genuine question.

Why do people, my American countrymen in particular, love Mexican food so much?

It's basically just a haphazard slather of meat and select vegetables. It's sloppy in presentation, and doesnt particularly taste amazing. Tons of retards claim to have "better" mexican food than others, but it's so simplified you can't really claim that. It's hard to fuck up ground beef or a fajita because all you're doing is rolling it around in a pan.

For instance, a friend and I both ate at a few family Mexican restaurants and then we compared it to chipotle. There was practically no improvement between any of them. Here's one of them that we visited:

http://casagaminoinglewood.com/menu.html

I mean don't get me wrong. It's edible, but i would never go out of my way for it. The selection for mexican food is very limited as well. You have tacos, quesadillas, burritos, tamales, fajitas...and that's more or less it, and most of those choices are very close derivatives.

If you take Mediterranean, Jap, American, or Polish foods for instance you're looking at a wide variety of flavors, combinations and implementations, and even methods of ingestion within each.

tl;dr - Mexican food is boring as heck, why do people like it?
>>
Mexican food in the US is shit and its not very Mexican. Im a Mexican btw :^)
>>
>>29957877
>doesn't particularly taste amazing

That's where you're wrong. Tastes really good.

You linked a terrible menu.

But swarth, jap, murrkan, and pole foods are also super good. You're too picky of an eater, sign of a privileged and soft little boy. I bet your father is so disappointed
>>
>>29957910
I live in a place with a lot of recent immigrants and the food is very authentic with the added benefit of not having to be in mexico to eat it.
>>
>>29957949
My dad makes soul food (black people food), and that again is far superior to anything mexican I've ever eaten. I'm not asking opinions here anyway, I'm asking for an explanation on why it's popular.
>>
>>29957978
Because soul food and indian food has far more flavor and substance to it. Don't listen to him, spic food is trash for trashy people.
>>
>>29957910

It very much depends where you are. TexMex can be good, but also bad, and it's still not Mexican. San Diego Mexican food has it's own riffs, also good but still not Mexican. You probably ate at shitty TexMex places in the midwest. In those places, look for the tacky and smaller shithole restaurants. That's the key. Beyond that, head further south.

>>29957877

Anthony Bourdain disagrees, as do I. It's easy to approximate Mexican food, but hard to do well. Partly due to availability of ingredients, and the large amount of time and effort it can take to prepare some dishes. Not to mention it's hard to really talk about a general 'Mexican' cuisine, when you can really delve into seven different major traditions within the country.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_cuisine#Regional_cuisines

http://anthonybourdain.tumblr.com/post/84641290831/under-the-volcano
>>
>>29957877

Family Mexican restaurants, so labeled, is often code for 'made bland and loaded with cheese so your 5 year old and your grandma will eat it'.
>>
>>29958121
OP again. I recognize they have more unique dishes like Nopal Cactus recipes and such. Those are good, but very rarely served.
>>
>>29958121
agreed. I feel the same way about British food, when done properly with good ingredients it's delicious, but sadly most people cooking it adhere to the stereotype
>>
>>29957877

chipotle was successful because they distilled everything that makes mexican taco food great (tomatoes, corn, beans, salsa, meat) and turned it into a doggy bowl dish so americans can understand it and scarf it down

actual mexican restaurants are much more varied than the slop you get in the US, try visiting an actual mexican restaurant in mexico sometime in your life and you'll probably get mexican food.
>>
>>29957978
Well anything homemade tends to be better than going out. If you had a mexican dad and he made mexican food at home out of fresh ingredients in your own kitchen to your own tastes it would also be better than practically any restaurant.

Mexican food is fucking good though. You probably just couldn't handle the spice
>>
>>29958227
But I eat indian food and prefer it heavily. I love spice and use it in my own cooking.
>>
>>29958254
>staunchly avoids a pleasurable activity out of autism

K
>>
>>29957978

Soul food shares more in common with Mexican food culture than you realize. Soul food is great stuff too, so you're fortunate to have it - that's another food culture that's hard to get quality access to if you don't know the right people or live in the wrong places. If you head down South closer to the border ever, or meet a 1st gen family and get to know them well enough to try their cooking, I hope you'll give it another shot.
>>
>>29958283
I like them both but I don't find them to have anything in common
>>
Mexican food is delicious, you're just a pleb

Just don't go to places that cater to stoners
>>
A lot of the places in California are overly Americanized

Burritos aren't even common in Mexico, except in some parts in the North
>>
You're a retard OP, this is obviously not an authentic Mexican place

Any Mexican restaurant in the US that's been open since 1970 is probably American-Mex

http://casagaminoinglewood.com/
>>
>>29957877
had 3 chicken tacos for dinner they were fucking delicious
>>
>>29957910
nice generalization m8 got any HARD EVIDENCE to support your RADICAL CLAIM?
me an my TACO are VERY HAPPY
>>
Where are some good spots to get Mexican in NYC?
>>
>>29957877
It tastes good, it's hugely versatile and can match a variety of dietary requirements, it's usually inexpensive, and you can make it pretty healthy. Rice bowl with a protein of some sort, salsa, onions + peppers, and beans is a pretty fucking good meal.
>>
>>29958207
British food is actually terrible though. I mean, they pretty much conquered the world just to try and find something new to eat.
>>
>>29957877
You're an amazing faggot and ate at shitty restaurants.
>>
>>29958933
agreed

just look at the link he posted, that shit looks like a bad time capsule of Americanized Mexican food from 1970 (not trying to knock the place, maybe it's still good).

He lives in California though, so I'm sure he could find something better if he tried. There are a lot of Mexicans in Inglewood if I'm not mistaken, so if he tried a little harder he could find something good.
>>
>>29958908
>it's hugely versatile

No, it isn't.
>>
>>29959098
yes it is, you autist

You're probably a retard and judge Mexican food off burritos and enchiladas

Some Mexican food, especially Southern Mexican food, would blow your mind
>>
File: 1467846102315.jpg (59 KB, 674x960) Image search: [Google]
1467846102315.jpg
59 KB, 674x960
>>29958988
>>29958933
>>29958908

>normalfags have fucking awful taste in food

Go figure. You don't know what's good, just like with women, video games, hobbies, and anything else.
>>
>>29959126
is that you're only response, you weaboo faggot?

you ate one sloppy cal-mex burrito and think you're now an expert on mexican food?
>>
>ate at a few family Mexican restaurants and then we compared it to chipotle

try actually going to mexico and going to a well reviewed restaurant you tard
>>
>>29959185
You must hate your body since you ingest trash. I bet you don't even lift
>>
>>29959217
go drink your wheatgrass shake, faggot
>>
File: 1467255990111.png (798 KB, 996x868) Image search: [Google]
1467255990111.png
798 KB, 996x868
>>29957877

>ground beef

>Mexican food

People actually believe this
>>
try some mole poblano, faggot
>>
>>29959291
>mole poblano

>chicken

No thanks
>>
>>29959315
that looks amazing, you 8 year old
>>
File: Ensalada de Nopales 3_LCDL.jpg (398 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
Ensalada de Nopales 3_LCDL.jpg
398 KB, 1200x900
>>29959315
Ignore him, msot Mexican food is simply trash. You have to understand that it's been heavily diluted by americans.

You have to try and find an authentic mexican place, which is hard, because tons of people claim to have "authentic" mexican food.

Try to find a truck instead, preferably one where no one speaks English.

I can tell you demand food with specialized ingredients that give real character, flavor, and pizazz to the food, which I understand.

Try cactus nopal recipes like pic related.
>>
File: Nopales-eggs2.jpg (129 KB, 750x500) Image search: [Google]
Nopales-eggs2.jpg
129 KB, 750x500
>>29959425
Here's another one. Don't give up on it OP
>>
>>29957877
>Mexican food
Because when people think of Hispanics they think Mexican. And Mexican food is so simple to franchise.
I love Taco Bell and Chipotles but it will never best the Dominican cuisine.

You don't see many Korean food over Chinese and Sushi right? Same thing here.
>>
>>29957877
>aphazard slather of meat and select vegetables
you answered your own question
>>
Low standards and constant exposure.
>>29959291
Mole poblano is actually pretty good, one thing doesn't speak much of the whole though.

I'd much rather eat some local Indian or Turkish food
>>29959217
There are plenty of real Mexican restaurants in America.
>>
>>29958929
fuck off. we have some of the world's best and most popular cheeses, basically invented the pie, and we're the masters of simple and delicious roasts. if you need to drown your food in spice, your ingredients are low quality for sure
>>
>>29959704
you probably haven't been to many real Mexican restaurants

just because you see brown people working/eating there doesn't mean it's authentic
>>
>>29959773
You keep telling yourself that, kiddo.

TexMex is distinctly different from Mexican food, stop acting like you're the only one that has realized this.
>>
i like jewish food. like, for example, the bagel with cream cheese, just like avi used to make.
>>
>>29959839
No shit, but it goes deeper than that. And Tex-Mex is misused to mean any Americanized Mexican food, though.
>>
>>29959901
Isn't the majority of Americanized Mexican food based upon TexMex.
>>
>>29959928
not really, shit like those stuffed Chipotle Burritos is based on Mission Style Burritos from Northern California
>>
>>29957877
Real Mexican food is disgusting, Tex mex is good but yeah, overrated
>>
>>29959996
you must be a fat 12 year old
>>
File: ragingpepe.jpg (39 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
ragingpepe.jpg
39 KB, 900x900
>>29957877
I LOVE DIARRHEAAAAAA AND IM NOT AFRAID TO ADMIT IIIIIIIIIT
>>
>>29959717
I agree! Always wondered why this stereotype exists british food is delicious
>>
>>29960011
No, I just really like American food.
>>
That is Mexican-American food. I once went to an authentic Mexican restaurant and it was miles better than any 'Mexican' food I had had before.
>>
>>29960273
but I doubt you've had a lot of real Mexican food

>>29960345
the fact that that restaurant has been around since 1970 is not a good sign lol
>>
>>29957978
I love soul food or anything grilled or marinated albeit mexican, asian or anything
>>
>>29960394
I've seen real Mexican food that was nothing like Tex mex and that was enough to put me off
>>
>>29960574
>seen

how fucking picky are you?
>>
>>29960600
Not picky at all, I also don't like fancy European food either for instance. But there was like cow stomach soup which really turned me off the generic tacos I ate were good but there was barely any cheese so overall texmex is way better
>>
File: 1468343854370.jpg (18 KB, 400x200) Image search: [Google]
1468343854370.jpg
18 KB, 400x200
because normies are delusional slaves who wallow in vanity of vanities. it's all the same garbage.
calories + nutrients + price is all that matters.
>>
>>29960691
You are kind of picky, but it's not that bad.

>>29959315
This is still disgusting. Chocolate on chicken is a no-go for me.

>>29959425
>>29959458
This is surprisingly good looking though. Give it a try, OP.

>>29960700
I can't disagree with those repeating digits.
>>
>>29960939
Mole poblano doesn't taste that chocolatey, you're incorrectly expecting it to taste like hershey syrup
>>
>>29957877
I eat Mexican food at least 5 days a week, but I only eat 1 meal a day
God bless those beaners
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.