[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does it matter where you go to university? Shitty state school
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 4
Does it matter where you go to university? Shitty state school vs. MIT/Princeton/Stanford, for example.
>>
>>29917401
Depends on the degree and employer, but generally yes it does matter.
>>
depends on your goals. From my experience only Oxford and Harvard guarantee you a good job no matter what you do.
>>
>>29917401
between shitty state school and MIT, yes

between good state school (Berkeley) and cornell, no

between average state school (UCSD) and duke, probably
>>
>>29917416
>>29917433
>>29917441
what about for something like Physics?
>>
>>29917401
Doesn't necessarily matter when you're applying for a job, but usually you'll get more connections in a top-tier school which will result in more job opportunities. In business though the bottom line is money, if you can bring in more net money than the other applicants you will get hired (assuming the boss's kid isn't also applying).
>>
>>29917490
absolutely you retard. it doesn't matter at the other end of the spectrum where the degree isn't impressive anyway
>>
>>29917441
>good state school
>posts berkeley

lol that's literally the best state school in the country, better than most schools.
>>
File: 1461650325424.png (198 KB, 648x586) Image search: [Google]
1461650325424.png
198 KB, 648x586
w-w-what about for comp sci guiz
>>
>>29917401
I went to an expensive private school that was 70% female. I got a decent education but no job and a fuckton of debt.

I never lost my virginity either as every girl "had a bf" or wasn't looking/interested.
>>
I went to community college for 2 years because I did shitty in high school, then transferred to a uni for the second half of my bachelors in accounting.

I got a decent paying job for a fresh out of college student. I'm sure going to Harvard will get you a better job or pay, but you're not fucked over if you don't.
>>
>>29917983
Not OP but this gave me a shitton of hope. Thanks anon :')
>>
>>29918363
Also make sure to get a good degree. Generally business degrees (Finance, Accounting, and Business, though I'd recommend going with the first two), and STEM are guaranteed jobs, Medical field especially.
>>
>>29917401
Do you want to spend $200,000 for your stem degree at a meme school or $20,000 for a stem degree at a state school? If you're not smart enough for stem just get a job at Starbucks now.
>>
>>29917401
>MIT/Princeton/Stanform
>good schools
>>29917490
An irrelevant meme degree? Nothing matters for you, you're a grey sheep.
>>29918393
>le 'a good degree is a degree that makes you money' meme
>>
>>29917538
Yeah for rejects that couldn't get into Stanford lol
>>
>>29918424
>le 'a good degree is a degree that makes you money' meme
How is this a meme? College costs a metric fuckton today. You have to get a degree that makes you money or else you're gonna be piled under shitty debt.

Also I forgot to mention trade schools are usually an okay choice too if you're not the brightest.
>>
File: 1468311241257.gif (975 KB, 420x420) Image search: [Google]
1468311241257.gif
975 KB, 420x420
>tfw born in a country where everyone gets high-quality education for free and the few paid universities suck ass
>>
>>29918517
>You have to get a degree that makes you money or else you're gonna be piled under shitty debt.
Non sequitur;

Why does this mean a degree in something that isn't absolute meme garbage is a 'bad' degree?
>Also I forgot to mention trade schools are usually an okay choice too if you're not the brightest.
Or STEM, a field for the absolutely mindless.
>>
go to school at a typical state college
>deal with boring teachers
>deal with boring classmates
>lackluster campus life
>no real mental stimulation
>finally graduate without really having pushed yourself into any new areas and enjoyed it
>track down employers
>force yourself on them
>finally get a job after grinding out the resumes and interviews
20 years later
>where did you go to school?
>i went to ________ state, yeah go (generic mascot)

or you can go to yale/princeton/oxford/MIT
>place yourself in the middle of the brightest students in the world
>you have one-on-one teaching from forerunners in academics and research and be involved in projects that will literally change the world
>enjoy some of the most stimulating campus life that an area can offer
>employers literally start talking to you right after you're done with your freshman year, if not earlier
>you walk right into executive/leadership/prestigious positions with actual experience to tackle the job at handle
20 years later
>where did you go to school?
>don't talk to me, cretin

yes there is a BIG difference
>>
>>29918393
This. I agree with this anon. Whatever you do OP, don't get a shitty le liberal arts degree. Its literally a money trap degree made so the university can leech money off of students. Go with STEM. Accounting I okay and probably one of the easiest majors to complete for a decent paying job. The starting pay would probably be in the 40,000s which isn't bad. You could do nursing which is good. But you have to be on your feet and interact with lots of people. Its not robot friendly. You can do engineering but thats hard as fuck. Prepare to study all the time. Especially if you electrical engineering.
>>
>>29917401
The difference between state schools is not big buy the difference between ivy league and state schools is large
>>
>>29918593
If you're doing engineering and you don't exactly know what you want to do, I'd recommend mechanical engineering. It's the broadest out of all of them.
>>
>>29918570
>place yourself in the middle of the brightest students in the world
None of them are intelligent
>you have one-on-one teaching from forerunners in academics and research and be involved in projects that will literally change the world
STEMsperg spotted; all relevant fields are in decline.
>enjoy some of the most stimulating campus life that an area can offer
Nouveau Riche materialist nonsense isn't 'stimulating'
>you walk right into executive/leadership/prestigious positions with actual experience to tackle the job at handle
hurr everything is about le job!!!!
>>29918593
DON'T DO SOMETHING RELEVANT, DO LE STEM XDDD ITS GOOD BECAUSE LE SCIENCE

Engineering isn't hard, only undergrads think this. Empiricists need to stop talking online
>>29918604
Not at all, just pomp.
>>
>>29918627
Could you elaborate on this a little? I'm a bit interested in going into engineering myself, but I'm not really sure what kind of engineering. All I really know is that it's going to be a lot of studying and math regardless of what program I choose.
>>
>>29918649
What the fuck are you talking about. The reason STEM is a good path is because the degrees that fall under it are relevant you dumbass.
>>
>>29918649

you can find a career with any major, stem is just easiest because the careers are centered around crunching numbers and applying physics

you can find a job with a philosophy major too, but it won't be as easy to transition from college to the workplace with just the bare minimum in coursework

and yes, college is all about the job

wait til you're almost 30 and you get to see which of your friends went somewhere and which ones didn't and how college actually works
>>
>>29918655
>he fell for the le money engineering meme
Disgusting
>>29918688
They aren't relevant, though.

Because all of science is irrelevant.
>dumbass
Could you project harder? My reflective surface is
>>29918700
A career isn't a job.

A career is good, a job isn't. Working is destructive.

I'm 28 you stupid child and I WORK in engineering, it's the most disgusting experience I've ever had and I've been molested. You're delusional and perfectly fine with a lifetime of disatisfaction because muh le atheist science meme and the promise of money.

>went somewhere
What an absolutely meaningless statement. I bet you think you're deep you absolute dullard.
>>
>>29918655
Main branches of engineering degrees are:
-Chemical
-Electrical
-Mechanical
-Civil

I believe you're smart enough to know which each one would cover. They're all going to involve math, but the course work will still differ. By broader I mean mechanical would get you the most jobs, but they aren't exactly specialized jobs, just general engineer jobs.

Does that make more sense? You should really read up on each degree though before making a choice. They're all good and will earn you a living, but still pick one that interests you the most.
>>
>>29918775
Thanks for explaining how mech engy is broader man. I'm considering electrical a bit more over the other types of engineering.
>>
>>29918770
>They aren't relevant though
I get that you dislike engineering and physics, but how can you seriously say that medical and technology degrees are irrelevant?
>>
>>29918775
Engineering isn't interesting, stop lying to the child you manchild.
>>29918812
They are, because materialism is irrelevant.

It's an outdated ideology based upon '''''''Enlightenment''''''' memes. Actual memes; garbage like 'self-evident infallible human rights'
>>
File: 1358705717312.png (16 KB, 450x410) Image search: [Google]
1358705717312.png
16 KB, 450x410
>>29918846
What degree would you recommend to an oncoming college student then
>>
>>29918846
inalienable*

Stupid language
>>29918881
You really don't understand what I'm talking about if you're asking that.
>>
>>29918700
>wait til you're almost 30 and you get to see which of your friends went somewhere and which ones didn't and how college actually works

Can you elaborate on that ? What did you witness? How do you feel about that?
>>
No, it's all equally pointless. Enjoying wasting time and money like the stupid cuck you are while I live the almostNEET self-employed life.
>>
>>29918770

do you design beer caps for some bottling company or is it something acutually interesting?

i know a lot of very happy engineers and some miserable ones

since you're miserable, please tell us what you do so we know to avoid it
>>
>>29918899
i make 100k a year straight out of college how is engineering irrelevant? you sound like a jaded failed engineer.
>>
>>29918899
Explain further

I don't agree with you, but you have an interesting enough opinion.
>>
social skills > degree pedigree and grades

in this bizarro normie world
>>
>>29918393
>and STEM are guaranteed jobs
STEM is not a guaranteed job. My Biology degree is basically useless. The acronym should really be something involving CS, Medicine, Engineering, and Accounting.
>>
>>29918948
How about the acronym MECSA?
>>
>>29918948
I got it. We'll call it "HATE" for healthcare, accounting, technology (in reality only CS), and engineering.
>>
>>29918911

friends that became doctors hate life because they're swamped with debt but they have a guaranteed job thanks to aging and shitty diets

people that went into engineering are hit or miss, some are in interesting mechanical or electrical jobs and some are just there designing foundations for apartment buildings and they hate it. but they're employed

i have a few friends who went into business, all them are in real estate and none have really broken out yet except one. he was born into and has a gift of gab, so we all knew he'd do well

one friend got a degree in environmental science and drives to x area of the country, marks off a 5x5 square and counts plants and files a report. he makes quality money

a lot of friends became nurses, but they came from waiting tables so they were used to being treated like shit and working in crap conditions with tight timetables

i'll go on if you'd like
>>
>>29917401
went to Princeton
now am 25+ y/o NEET, depressed, ____anxious, only smoke weed, drink, play vidya, and pet my dog
AMA
>>
>>29918971

and one thing to add on, regardless if requested

almost every single person that went to college because they 'had to' or because they thought it would lead to a job with zero extra work or investment, is now waiting tables

thankfully, i sat out and worked for disney for a while and now i can go back to school and avoid all the mistakes that they made and do things that i want to do and get paid for it
>>
>>29918996
What was your major originaliosdf
>>
>>29918996

did you graduate?

if you didn't graduate, that would make sense
>>
>>29918996
one of my friends went to princeton, would have been in his junior year now but he's taking a year off from it so I'm wondering if he'll become a NEET
>>
>>29919034
I did graduate

>>29919026
computer science
never could find a job though. they can smell the pain and laziness on you, I think

>>29919039
I knew a guy who took a year off, used to be the robot type, although he's doing fairly well now. Much better than I am at least. Actually now that I think of it I know several people who did. they seem to be doing mostly fine. I also occasionally play vidya with one person who dropped out (I guess? didn't finish at least). I
>>
>>29918930
>100k straight out of college
jesus christ how the fuck. I knew engineer paid off but I always figured it was in the 60-70k ballpark
>>
>>29918971
>i'll go on if you'd like

Yes, please do.

I was a promising student in high school, but went to community college to save money. There I came down with the blues because I had no direction, and CC was just high school v2.0 with cigarettes. The two years at CC was a directionless slog and I ended up not having good enough grades or extracurricular activities to go to the state flagships. and ended up going to a sort of crappy state school.

My major was political science. 5 years after earning my BA (graduated with honors) , Im now a pool lifeguard making near min wage and stuck living at home. Im like the biggest failure I know. I was in the top 5-30/900 for most of my high school career and now im a total loser.

I'm 28 and there's people from my high school class that were in remedial education programs that are definitely making more than me and having more fulfilling social lives (one guy I remember being an especially irritating asshat is now a mechanic and has a wife a kid - he seems pretty happy too). It's really irritating and depressing at the same time.

I havent talked to anyone from high school since high school, and probably never will. Same goes for college.
>>
Is a BA in Math ok to go for instead of BS in Math? I have intense stage fright, and most BS Math degrees require a final year dissertation that I know I wouldn't be able to do. Also I've looked online and there is schools that provide full BA Math degrees through online courses.
>>
>>29919225
>Choosing political science
Sorry anon, you were doomed from the start. If you wanted to get into politics, being a lawyer would have been the best route..
>>
>>29919085

>laziness

yeah fuck lazy people, you guys are the worst
>>
>>29919288
Political science is one pathway to law school. Just saying.
>>
>>29918498
those rejects are doing damn well
>>
>>29919319
Really? I wasn't aware of that. I'm not too familiar with the law route though
>>
>>29919225

first off, you're obviously basing your happiness on comparisons to other people. you'll always be miserable if you do this. stop doing this.

you're not a failure, but i have a few questions

why didn't you hop on board with a politician and join the campaign trail? or work in a senators office? or find any politican to help.

why didn't you take up a career in political journalism? something raw and real and vocal from an educated POV, something necessary (especially today)

i mean you keep talking about school but you don't talk about what you did afterwards...so did you do anything at all?
>>
>>29919305
are you lost, friend?
>>
Can I still be an engineer, without a lot of remedial work in college, if I got a 2 on my AP Phyiscs exam? I think I really fucked myself over by not studying.
>>
>>29919671
I guess what I meant to say was, how hard would it be to get into an engineering program at a state school, with a 2 on my AP physics exam?
>>
>>29919357
Not much.

I got a TEFL certification, but I havent done anything with it. I still think about teaching English overseas, but haven't bothered to apply for any jobs. Just doesnt seem that appealing.

I've done some other jobs and volunteering since graduating. I tutored underpriveleged children in the barrios near my university. Some of the kids were nice and bright, but I felt like deporting them all would make the country a better place. This was several years before Trump .I also managed polling places a few times. Each time, nothing but the Nietzchean concept of slave morality was running through my head by the end of the day. Idiots and women are the majority. They are the ones political actors and movements must appeal to.
>>
>>29919111
100k starting isn't extraordinary if you're in the right field and work somewhere with a high cost of living.
>>
>>29917433
harvard is literally the most overrated shithole in the world.
if you want to get a degree in math\physics, the best choice is princeton. for computer science, MIT is heaven
>>
>>29919111
don't worry. it doesn't actually happen unless you're living somewhere with a very high cost of living.
>>
>graduated college with highschool sweet heart
>couldn't get a job
>she got a 100k+ job right out of college
>about a year in she left me for one of her co workers

feels bad man
I loved her more than everything
>>
>>29917401

The "smarter" the school, the less you'll deal with normies.

I've never heard of a state school that wasn't also a party school.
>>
>>29920855
fuck off retard nobody gives a shit
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.