[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is your theory on life in general? As crazy as it may be.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: dealwithit2.jpg (45 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
dealwithit2.jpg
45 KB, 600x450
What is your theory on life in general? As crazy as it may be.

For me I believe in a deterministic universe where we're all just equations with inputs and outputs of numbers.

None of my life hypotheses say life has to be awful, yet it is.
>>
>>29915183
>still believing in determinism
what is this, 1910? after quantum mechanics expressed the momentum and position of electrons as probabilistic systems only an idiot could believe God doesn't play dice with the universe. it's all stochastic and completely pointless, so have as much fun as you can before the walls fall and the barbarians flood in.
>>
>>29915325
Just because I think everything is scripted doesn't mean I don't think it's pointless. I don't believe something can be truly random, I think quantum mechanics can be explained and predicted with more knowledge and perhaps that knowledge is out of our grasp as humans.

Regardless you and I come to the same conclusion.
>>
>>29915183

Your personality = Avatar
Your consciousness = Player

This world is a test
>>
>>29915183
Life is full of a multitude of idiotic distractions
The "truth" is hidden plain in sight
I do not believe in strict determinism that does not account for the wills which violate and define it.
>>
>>29915325
modern determinism acknowledges the randomness in quantum mechanics, however, the randomness occurs on such a small scale that is averaged out in larger systems. for example, in an animal cell, the functions can be determined with relative certainty. the randomness of quantum mechanics has little effect.
>>
>>29915738
Everyone is looking for the answer to the universe by looking outward, both in thought and space.

The answers we seek are on this planet right now. They're the tiniest of ideas and existence that we cannot comprehend.
>>
>>29915782
>>>/x/
Those assholes are very focused on defying convention and comprehension to find their truth

Too bad they get so caught up in memedemons + etc stereotyped mental constructs to do anything worthwhile
>>
>>29915636
Interesting, anon
>>
Do not get so attached to your body. See yourself like you see your avatar in a video game rather than seeing it as your actual vessel.
When you do, I think you'll find that things suddenly get a lot easier in most areas of life.
It's a bit more complicated, but I think that's most of the explaining I need to do to get the general jist of it across.
>>
File: 1447270986111.jpg (69 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1447270986111.jpg
69 KB, 499x499
>live
>fuck your body up
>die
then there is no you anymore
>>
>>29916096
>See yourself like you see your avatar in a video game rather than seeing it as your actual vessel
i kind of like this analogy. maybe i'm wrong or maybe i'm just weird but i think i've done this since i was young (not on purpose) and it hasn't really served me very well. the more disconnected from my vessel i am, the more i see myself as an observer and the less i feel connected to other people. i've felt for a very long time like an anthropologist observing the humans who are living their lives instead of living it myself. i just want to be a part of it.
>>
>>29916463
A good level of balance has to be reached with that, as trite as it might sound.
I was diagnosed as having sociopathic tendencies by age 13 as a result of my integrating the process too far into my every day life.
It's best only used during stressful times or before you're about to do something dangerous.
>>
File: lifeandstuff.png (41 KB, 500x737) Image search: [Google]
lifeandstuff.png
41 KB, 500x737
life is random, life isnt fair.

for the most part, if you treat people right they'll treat you the same. but just because you do that, doesnt mean the universe will suddenly bless you with things like great job opportunities or tons of women. took me a long time to realize that while karma doesnt exist, being a decent person and contributing to the world does bring some positivity in my life.
>>
>>29915183
>What is your theory on life in general?

That's a pretty broad topic.
>>
>>29915183
the turtle moves
>>
>>29915183
Hedonism mainly.

Everything is pointless unless you take pleasure in what you do. And people only care about money and social statue. If you had nothing good to contribute, Everyone will hate you and see you as non existent at the same time.

The purpose is to find that honest person that actually like you despite your flaw but not everyone has it. Hence why, people get cynical and shitty growing up because they have lost the opportunity to get that person they wanted to have and are stuck living in comfort, material possession and statue to relive the fact that their life are empty and they have become soulless due to their dreams and aspirations crushed.
>>
bumpering the threede, family
>>
1. there is God

2. He created all of this. why? i don't know, i can't even think in 5 dimensions, how should i be able to think on the level of an omniscient

3. we're all in this together. be good to each other and live alongside nature and we'll all have a good time
>>
>tfw too dumb to understand any big-boy philosophy
>>
File: 1402949363606.jpg (471 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1402949363606.jpg
471 KB, 1920x1080
>>29915183

People seem to know what they're talking about itt, including you, but consider the fact that the jury is still out on whether numbers are real or not.

If it's the case that numbers aren't real, does that change anything for your theory on life? (not necessarily saying it should or it shouldn't, just trying to get you to elucidate)

To answer your question, I haven't determined what I think is my theory of life. I'm a philosophy student in grad school and each "new thing" I read or hear about changes my opinion. I haven't settled on anything it seems. I may be honing in though, we'll see.
>>
>>29918069
do not let anyone take this from you
too many allow themselves to be influenced in their beliefs by negativity. It is always a shame to see someone lose faith
>>
There is a God.
God encompasses all that is good.
Happiness is achieved by becoming one with God by authentically practicing good things.
The meaning of life is to glorify God, which lines up with the ways to achieve genuine happiness and fulfillment (not simply physical pleasure, which is where I think a lot of young people have it wrong): genuinely loving others and trying to live selflessly, as Jesus did, while reflecting on who you are.

As far as religion goes I attend Catholic church and large;y agree with their overall teachings but really don't know that much about how specific interpretations of God/life are different. There's a lot that I don't "get".

>>29918071
I know that feel man, it kills me because I really want to get into theology and existentialism but I can't make heads or tails of a lot of it
>>
>>29918071

You an me both brother. Can you explain some things that you do know? How much experience you've had with philosophy and which philosophies/ers do or don't make sense to you?

For example, a simple reading of Plato, Descartes, Hume, and Kant make sense to me. But I'm still having a hard time on Kripke-esque distinctions between a priori necessary and a priori contingent, and their counterparts.
>>
>>29918141

science alone gives me faith in the Almighty

i mean crap, think about gravitational waves and astronomical spectroscopy and the way math just works and it just blows my mind out of my ears

there isn't any chaos, it's all just a big perfect symphony of matter and energy that just, works
>>
I think that people are led to do horrible things to themselves and others for no reason other than the pursuit of pleasure (money, sex, power).
In the big scheme of things nothing really matters, nothing "here" anyway. I'm still basically a kid, but I've lived a quarter of my life in the blink of an eye, and there's a chance I'll die earlier in some accident. When you're dead it doesn't matter how much money you accrued or how popular you were. In a few generations, chances are no one will even know who you were.
What matters is what comes next. I believe in some sort of benevolent God but I really don't know much past that. I've looked at many major religions and can't seem to find any answers to the "big questions", I'd consider myself aligned with Christianity for the most part.
The fact that God is infinite, and is the ultimate of things like love and positivity, means that God is the only thing that really matters; the infinite is the only thing that will still be there when I die and my body rots and the sun consumes the world and the universe reaches heat death. If God doesn't exist or there is no continuation of the "soul" or something eternal in us then nothing matters in any way, besides the meaning we give to things. If there is some beyond, then that's pretty much all that matters.

It's a worldview that seems like it's shaky and full of holes but it's the one I believe in deep down.
>>
>>29915183
>For me I believe in a deterministic universe where we're all just equations with inputs and outputs of numbers.

this, but not 100% deterministic, maybe
>>
akakak shakshak
glorious dogs
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.