[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the things you miss the most about the late 90s and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 9
File: dreamcast[1].png (212 KB, 650x419) Image search: [Google]
dreamcast[1].png
212 KB, 650x419
What are the things you miss the most about the late 90s and early 00s?
>>
>>29913147
Still having a soul
>>
File: 1456869575021.png (124 KB, 616x725) Image search: [Google]
1456869575021.png
124 KB, 616x725
>>29913147
not having to go to work every fucking day and actually having freedom
>>
>>29913147
The Dreamcast has got to be the most robot game console.
>>
Having friends and no responsibilities.
>>
>>29913147
>9/11
>having the will to live
>>
not having my alarm remind me to go to work yet again, a place that breaks me a tiny bit more every day as i try my best not to look at the seemingly countless years ahead of me.
>>
My parents weren't yet ashamed of me.
>>
File: 1456720885498.jpg (87 KB, 582x600) Image search: [Google]
1456720885498.jpg
87 KB, 582x600
>>29913167
>>29913183
>>29913209

I know these ones all too well. Add hope and dreams to that list.
>>
File: 6133660-large.jpg (62 KB, 618x416) Image search: [Google]
6133660-large.jpg
62 KB, 618x416
That being an edgy disaffected teenager was mainstream for a minute.
>>
pop punk
ps2
toonami with sailor moon and dbz
renting dvds
AIM
being a kid
friends
potential, feeling like things are leading to something
not being able to waste time because there's still so much of it
>>
File: fashion updated.jpg (283 KB, 1400x1000) Image search: [Google]
fashion updated.jpg
283 KB, 1400x1000
>>29913147
The fact that there was a mainstream alternative culture.

Those were prime cyborg years.

>tfw ywn again impress some 17 year old failed stacey with your mallgoth make-up, punk-rock fashion, nu-metal music taste and pop-punk sensibilities.

These days Normies and robots are at extreme polar opposites and the only cyborg thing is like anime and video games.
>>
File: 484756734.jpg (56 KB, 300x360) Image search: [Google]
484756734.jpg
56 KB, 300x360
coming home after a miserable day of school and playing my vidya, I would often just skip lessons and come home if my mom was still at work.

I still remember those lonely walks home as if they were yesterday... it was like 11-12 years ago....... I would get the few bucks my mom gave me to buy lunch and buy some junk food, walk though the door and just breathe a sigh of relief that the day was over and I could just play vidya... alone... while the sun beamed though the windows and I could hear the other kids playing outside....
>>
The whole point of being young is that you don't grasp what you have until it's already in the rear view.
>>
Still being happy.
>>
File: 2001.jpg (84 KB, 472x320) Image search: [Google]
2001.jpg
84 KB, 472x320
>>29913284
>>29913507
mah nigga

too bad that the average robot was like 8 years old and couldn't appreciate or barely be aware of that whole era.
>>
File: 1399383904810.jpg (43 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1399383904810.jpg
43 KB, 480x360
>No Facebook or Twitter
>No smartphones or dating apps permanently screwing up people's interactions/relationships
>No political BS forced everywhere on every site
>Huge Flash community making content purely out of interest and not profit
>Internet culture wasn't just about memes and social networks
>Video games didn't completely suck yet
>Economy didn't completely suck yet
>Time actually seemed to move normally and the future actually felt optimistic
>>
>>29913846
Agreed with all of those things but

>>Video games didn't completely suck yet

video games always sucked, probably moreso back then and earlier on.
>>
>>29913938

not really man, I remember enjoying single player because that's all I had.... crash bandicoot... I remember I got blisters on my fingers from playing too much Mario Party on the N64.

Then online came, I bought that big ass modem for the PS2 and used PS2 online for a while, couldn't go back to single player after that..
>>
Oh and speaking of vidya

>arcades

even though they were on their dying breaths back then with machines no longer being a single quarter to play but multiple inflated tokens and it being filled with DDR normie magnets. There was still something so pleasantly unique about all the loud sounds and bright flashing sights of arcades.

There is now literally one arcade in my city of millions of people, and a few meme barcades with MAME machines.
>>
>hope for the future
>loving my fellow man
>believing it would get better someday
>>
>>29914001
You were a kid and enjoyed the best games of that time.

I was a kid and still enjoyed the shittiest games of that time because I was a kid, I wasn't really aware that those games were bad until later.

There was always rushed products and shitty licensed games and unfinished messes and terrible ports and shovelware and unplayable artificial difficulty, etc. The video game industry had already crashed once before Nintendo even put out their first console.
>>
>>29914179
I agree that bad games have always existed, but it is still a lot different now. When a game was good, it was REALLY godod. There's a reason why a game like Doom still has a huge fan community and is still talked about and praised to this day. In contrast, barely anyone's going to care about the latest Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed 20 years from now.
>>
>>29914276
*it was REALLY good
>>
>>29914276
It's because games back then were pushing boundaries (like Mortal Kombat leading up to the creation of ratings) that had yet to be pushed, and the technology was jumping from 8/16/32 bits to 3D, you also had handhelds, the beginning of the internet, etc.

>There's a reason why a game like Doom still has a huge fan community and is still talked about and praised to this day.

Because of the reboot?

We can pick and choose examples, for every Doom there was dozens of Daikatanas, for every Mario there was a Sonic or a Bubsy, etc. The problem is that there hasn't been a massive leap in gaming technology in the last 15 years or so.

Virtual reality will be the next big thing. The first company to get a proper VR game going (Minecraft?) will be talked about for decades to come for sure.
>>
>>29914614

shit man, bubsy 3D, i remember getting stuck on that game, didn't know where to go in the end and never completed it.....
>>
>>29914688
I played the original Bubsy on SNES and it wasn't AWFUL, but still pretty bad
>>
>"1998 we're flying around the forest zone situated in northwest Raccoon city..."
>>
File: DranzerV.jpg (28 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
DranzerV.jpg
28 KB, 400x400
lanigiro edalbyeb
>>
Things being good.

America was great

Video games were great

Anime and cartoons were great

Movies were great

comics were okay but oh well
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.