[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Going to college late
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: 1452131165595.jpg (45 KB, 569x510) Image search: [Google]
1452131165595.jpg
45 KB, 569x510
How old is too old to go to college, if you have zero degrees?

I constantly hear normies saying that your age doesn't matter, but I don't fucking trust them. Most of them graduate at age 22 and are then set for life so it's hard to believe that they know what it's like to try and get a fucking bachelor's degree later in your life when you have nothing.

I heard of a few people in their late 20s/30s that tried to do this but I never actually found out if they were able to become successful after that. They probably got nowhere in life since who the fuck would hire a loser that got a bachelor's degree that late in life? Employers would probably just stick with a younger, more successful graduate.
>>
>>29905058
How old are you?
Btw i think you are never too old to study. Several guys in my class are 30+
>>
>>29905136
Yeah all memes aside I see 30+ guys going back to study all the time. I know a cook who's a software engineer now, at 35. They're generally not cut off from social contacts either. At house parties and such nobody cares if you're 22 or 33. At least that was my experience.
>>
If you either:

1. haven't been working or otherwise have some for of 'normal' activity over the past 5+ years
2. haven't been practicing normalfag behavior and can't easily manipulate people into liking you

I wouldn't recommend you go back to college at all, you will end up just dropping out and getting a massive hit against your self-esteem
>>
I'm 26 and am in college. I have about 2 more years before I graduate.

My plan, aided by the fact I have a baby face, is to not tell anyone how old I am and let them assume I am the 20-22 year old most people mistake me for. I made an e-mail address that I use to contact professors and businesses that has 95 at the end to make them assume I am 21.

Employers cannot ask your age in an interview due to possible claims of age discrimination if you are rejected.
>>
>>29905058

I was a flat out NEET for 12 years and decided to overcome my fears and go to college. Now I have a BS with $30K+ of debt and am still NEET. I want a job, but who's going to convince a company that a near 40 y/o programmer with no experience is worth a shot? I figured my best bet at this point is getting a Masters and more debt. Oh well, if sudoku the gov ain't getting any money back. It may come to that.
>>
OP if you don't know what kind of degree you want and you have 0 credits you should just enroll in community college first. CC is meant for older people who typically have other shit to do (work) besides go to class.
Once you have general education credits then you can transfer those to most public universities.

Some roasties or chads will talk about you behind your back but that's usually because older people tend to talk too much and ask too many questions in class. If you are 25 or older, I would not try to get too involved with the college kids. Just keep your head down and go home after class and tell people that you have work or something so you can't hang around.
>>
You're never too old. I see people 40+ at my uni trying to get a degree. I'm 24, and back in school after 3 years of being NEET. Not one of my classmates has said anything about my age, in fact all of them have encouraged me to finish. This isn't highschool, no one really cares about you. If you want to get your degree, just shell up the cash and do it.
>>
File: 1458532917857.jpg (284 KB, 649x638) Image search: [Google]
1458532917857.jpg
284 KB, 649x638
>>29905058
>Most of them graduate at age 22 and are then set for life
anon pls
>>
>>29905058
I actually sat next to a woman probably in her 40s (maybe 50s) in one of my classes a couple semesters ago.

No one gave her a hard time, she and I actually got along very well.

Even my mom takes college classes when she has the time/money for it (also in her 40s)
>>
>>29905058
If youre so out of touch that you think having a BA = set for life, college will be wasted on you. Consider tismbux.
>>
>>29905499
Thats true.
But depends a bit in which country do you live. Its much easier for european people as for amerifags
>>
>>29905058
I worked retail till I was 25 and got my degree late in life it was worth it
>>
>>29905058

most people get meme degrees and are in debt for life. you have the advantage knowing what you want and want makes money
>>
File: 1468355044020.jpg (37 KB, 400x491) Image search: [Google]
1468355044020.jpg
37 KB, 400x491
>>29905058

There are dudes in my chem class in their thrities and one dude who looks about fifty. It's never too late, but sooner is better.
>>
>>29905058
Simply not true.

No one cares about your age more than you do. No one will go "well anon you have a degree in electrical engineering and excellent grades but since you did not complete your degree at 22, we can't hire you". Your peers might see you as "anon who is a few years older" but that's literally it.
>>
>>29905058
There's no such thing as too late. Just go--learn, treat it with respect, enjoy the struggle. You'll be a bigger loser for not doing it.
>>
>>29905058
>are then set for life
Look up how many graduates are underemployed in the US, now approaching their 30s, still struggling to pay their student loans, and working at Starbucks
>>
>>29905058
most people don't graduate college in 4 years. Usually it's close to 25. If it upsets you take summer classes so you're only there for 3ish years
>>
File: 1429585170574.png (14 KB, 183x232) Image search: [Google]
1429585170574.png
14 KB, 183x232
>>29907116
>Look up how many graduates are underemployed in the US, now approaching their 30s, still struggling to pay their student loans, and working at Starbucks

BAD GOY

EVERYONE MUST GO TO COLLEGE, YES YES, BORROW MONEY, GOOOOOOD
>>
>>29905058
If you want the "college experience" then yeah, it's long gone. You gotta look like a college kid to not be the old guy.

If you want your life to drastically improve with a job that makes you more money (STEM/some business), then no it's never too late. Any adult that goes to college for a better life is admirable.
>>
>>29906749
Sorry but this is bullshit. Ageism is very real in certain industries.

For example, there's no way you're getting hired at a hip 20-something software engineering startup if you're grandpa. It's just not going to happen.

It would be torture for you anyway due to the culture clash.
>>
My mom went back to school at 49 and has a successful career in real estate. nobody knows she never went to college before that, nobody knows she got bad grades in high school. She doesn't have a resume, she didn't need one. She works hard and does her best and passed the courses and is successful. Bought her first house at 50. She's in line to take over the brokerage she works for because she is the most competent agent there.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.