[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is programming hard for a total newbie? I guess it's the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: super_nerd_14[1].jpg (31 KB, 600x392) Image search: [Google]
super_nerd_14[1].jpg
31 KB, 600x392
Is programming hard for a total newbie? I guess it's the most possible way to earn substantial money by working from home, but how do you at first get to that level?
>>
>>29904009
you don't if your not born doing it you don't integrate into it there's no hope or possibility of it
>>
You need to get a degree in it first.
>>
>>29904009
Buy a book, or go to codecademy. Nerd on it for a week and try to do FizzBuzz (google it). If you are not an idiot you can do it. Congrats you now shit on 50% of comp. sci faggots.
>>
>>29904009
i've been dabbling in programming on and off for years when my depression lessens.

like every other subject you can probably grind it out and succeed if you try hard enough but not everyone has a real aptitude for this kind of thinking. you'll find out quickly whether it comes to you naturally or you really have to work at it.

you'll also find out whether you like it enough to stick with it. a lot of people in computer science are passionate about it and really love it. a lot of others are just in it for the money. i guess both are valid motivations.
>>
>>29904009
if u want to be a good programmer with much knowledge u need to learn a lot. especially when u wan't to program hardware depentent
>>
>>29904278
Well, I'm more interested in web development since I'd like to build my own website from scratch. I guess I should start learning PHP and HTML? Btw, how different is web development from, say, software development? Is it easier/harder?
>>
>>29904364
there are services that exist today that can make a website look professional without you needing any knowledge of a language. What's your website for?
>>
>>29904439
Making it look professional is far from it actually being professional. You'd be surprised how often XSS works.
>>
>>29904009
If you're autistic then programming is great because its very organized, structured and pattern based.

If you're not autistic and hate math, then its a god awful boring grind that takes a lot of work to understand it.

Its why every sperg here is a comp sci or computer engineering major, it goes hand in hand with autism.
>>
File: 1459039935673.jpg (3 KB, 125x119) Image search: [Google]
1459039935673.jpg
3 KB, 125x119
>>29904009
>>29904583

I just started doing some Java because why the fuck not and so far it's like learning a human language, with its own vocabulary and sentence structure and so on. I suck at math so I'm kinda scared of what lies ahead but I learned two cool things: John Carmack allegedly sucks at math too, or so he says, but apparently you can still program even if your code looks very crude. Being good at math helps you a lot, but if not then you can just brute force it. He said id software only hired math people when development on DooM 3 started. And here's how Notch allegedly did the TNT explosions for Minecraft: instead of making a nice math thing with scatter and distribution, he fucking made the TNT block send a raycast to every block in a certain radius and attached a percentage value for whether it will break or not. Which is one of many reasons why that game has godawful performance.

Anyway I feel pretty optimistic about the whole thing. But I only started so who knows. All the resources you could possibly want are free on the internet so see if you like it.
>>
>>29904583
I hate math but I think programming is pretty cool
>>
>>29904009
Pick a random university that has a publicly available course system and do their exercise sheets.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.