[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Autism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: autism.jpg (69 KB, 1000x400) Image search: [Google]
autism.jpg
69 KB, 1000x400
Hey /r9k/, is anybody here legitimately autistic? I was recently diagnosed by a psychologist (though not formally, they still have to do a sensory profile and IQ test and other such things), but it wasn't all that surprising since I've thought I've had it for years now. Some of the issues I've had throughout life make a lot of sense now, but I'd like to know if there's more people out there like me, getting diagnosed later in life (21 btw).

Can anyone else relate? Stories? First time posting so please forgive me if I broke some of /r9k/'s etiquette.
>>
>>29889985
is it scary to be autistic? Do you worry that you don't understand things?
>>
>>29890035
It's a hell of a life mate
I'm literally incapable of understanding the nuances of interpersonal communication
I'll probably never have sex
>>
>>29889985
Once my therapist thought I was bergers. I said the only reason I never looked at her while talking was because of where the chairs were. We moved them and quickly decided it wasn't the spectrum.

Am diagnosed bipolar and social phobia though.
>>
>>29890094
>can't talk to her because of where the chairs were
how is that not pure utter fucking autism?
>>
>>29890035
It's really hard to understand social cues and human interaction in general, but I've learned to go along with it. People always thought I was a really interesting guy, so they'd always approach me and that's the only way I've ever made friends. I've said some inappropriate things before but I've kind of learned what to say and what not to say in a social setting, like you'd learn maths. I've also learned that the virtue of just being a kind person gets you pretty far concerning friendship.
>>
Diagnosed aspergers here, I just don't care anymore and have stopped trying to change.

I just milk it for all its worth now and survive off of autismbux and other people feeling obligated to look after me.
>>
>>29889985

yes i have aspergers. i did the whole neuropsych testing process. it was not an expected outcome. i went to doctor, regular doctor, complaining of depression and anxiety. doctor referred me to psychiatrist. psychiatrist did an assessment and then referred me for neuropsych testing. it was eight hours of all manner of tests; some multiple choice, one was an intelligence test, a bunch of stuff relating to facial recognition and memory, one test that played a sound clip of a person saying something and then I was supposed to choose from a set of four pictures which picture most closely lined up with the sound clip played. that last one was I think supposed to be about identifying relationship between body language, emotional content of voice tone, and actual words said.

anyway. i looked in to autism a lot more after being diagnosed. it certainly did explain a lot about why i have the problems i do and why things happened in the way they did when i was a kid. it would have helped to know a lot earlier. i was diagnosed at 27.
>>
>>29890272
How does one get autismbux? Currently working part time and going to college, it's a fucking nightmare being around all these people though. Do I have to be incapable of holding down a job or something?
>>
>>29890272
>other people feeling obligated to look after me.
unless you get a mommy gf, you will end up very unhappy after your parents die. keep in mind that this is a short term strategy for survival.
>>
>>29890375
No idea m8, my mum did everything for me but I guess it depends on which country you live in. I had to go see a bunch of doctors before being approved for it though.

>>29890406
Nonsense, the state will look after me. I've even considered moving into an assisted living physicality to bypass needing to support my self.
>>
>>29890459
>physicality
*assisted living facility

See I can't even do basic spelling, I'm hopeless.
>>
How do I take the official autism test? Just phone up a psychiatrist and request to be evaluated for mental illness? Is it expensive?

Not even trying to get bux, just curious.
>>
>>29890662
You meet with a psychologist that specializes in testing. I was referred by my therapist. It's very expensive without insurance, like 800 - 1200.
>>
i enjoy 4chan so much that i'm beginning to wonder if also on the spectrum. but all the internet tests i've taken (many) say no assburgers.
>>
>>29889985
I was diagnosed in the middle of highshool along with other things. I went into special ed but dropped out. I don't really miss being around people and I got some inheritance to buy a small farm to avoid taxes when my dad died.
>>
File: image.jpg (235 KB, 750x985) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
235 KB, 750x985
>>29890961
Pic is some sheepies
>>
>>29890662

you usually can't just make an appointment with a psychiatrist. you would go to a normal doctor, or in the other anon's case a therapist, first, and then they would give you a referral.
>>
>>29891054
They called a guy and he followed me around for a week then he interview me. He said I had some things a I went to the mental hospital, after I came out I was in special ed where they just stuck me in a room and forgot until I left.
>>
I was diagnosed with PDD at 6 years old

Around 15 I held my spaghetti long enough to hold a girls hand until she said she didn't like me

I'm not sure to what extent it fucks my life up but I definitely stare at girls and am generally creepy
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.