[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are so many of you guys all living with the mindset of a victim?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (186 KB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
186 KB, 750x1334
Why are so many of you guys all living with the mindset of a victim?
>>
Our mindsets aren't in the right place. Why is water wet? Fuck off normo. Sage.
>>
R9k is basically feminism for men
>>
What do you mean by "the mindset of a victim"?

What is that mindset?

Do all victims have it? If not, then calling it "the mindset of a victim" seems unspecific.

And who counts as a victim, versus the person who is not a victim?

Are we not all victims of some injustice or another?
>>
>>29871715
because we are smart enough to realize free will doesn't exist, and our current situations in life are 99% out of our control.
>>
What I mean by that is the unfavourable way of viewing oneself in reality
>>
Because we are faggots OP. Just like you.
>>
>>29871764
I'd say it's a lot less than 99% that is out of your control. For instance control your indulgence in self-pity. Agree to limit it to a bare minimum
>>
>>29871788

>What I mean by that is the unfavourable way of viewing oneself in reality

So, like, low self esteem?

Having low self esteem doesn't seem like the same thing as "the mindset of a victim".

Someone can be a victim of something but still have high self esteem.
>>
>>29871828
I feel that the mindset victim causes self-esteem and vice versa, a self-propagating problem.

Self-esteem is difficult to just reverse. A mind-set is something you do with your thoughts actively. I actively choose not to have the woe is me attitude - and I do this throughout the day
>>
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 235x215) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 235x215
>muh chadocaust!
>muh six million tendies!
>we need reparations from goyi- I mean normies!
That's what you all sound like.
>>
>>29871893

>I feel that the mindset victim causes self-esteem and vice versa, a self-propagating problem.

Okay, but that "victim mindset" and "low-self esteem" form a vicious circle is a different statement from the idea that victim mindset = low self esteem.

>A mind-set is something you do with your thoughts actively. I actively choose not to have the woe is me attitude - and I do this throughout the day

Why do you have to actively choose it throughout the day?

If you can choose your thoughts, then why not just choose it once and stick with it?
>>
>>29871965
We're discussing psychology here so it's not going to work in definites.

It's something you have to choose again and again because many things in the mind like self-confidence and emotions are constantly fluctuating, influenced by your environment thoughts body and so on. Suppose you can say it's forgetful so requires constant repetition
>>
>>29872054

>We're discussing psychology here so it's not going to work in definites.

Regardless of what you're discussing, terms should have a coherent meaning rather than vaguely blurring from one meaning to another.

>It's something you have to choose again and again because many things in the mind like self-confidence and emotions are constantly fluctuating, influenced by your environment thoughts body and so on. Suppose you can say it's forgetful so requires constant repetition

If your feelings are influenced by your environment, body chemistry, and so on, then couldn't it be the case that your constant "actively choosing" to not feel like a victim, itself, is actually caused by your environment and body chemistry?
>>
I'm the victim, since I'm my own oppressor.
>>
>>29872072
Are you looking for reasons that you can't actively influence your emotions, well-being etc?

Don't. You can consciously influence, I'm telling you, go with it. A one week ban on feeling bad for yourself, or your situation.
>>
>>29872132

>Are you looking for reasons that you can't actively influence your emotions, well-being etc?

I'm a seeker of truth.

>Don't. You can consciously influence [your emotions]

This relies on the assumption that there is an "I" independent of my emotions, thoughts, and feelings, which I don't believe is the case. The idea makes no neurological sense and I'm not a dualist.

>I'm telling you, go with it. A one week ban on feeling bad for yourself, or your situation.

Why do you assume I feel bad for myself or my situation? You don't even know what my situation is. For all you know I could be pretty happy.

All things considered I'd say I'm handling my life as well as possible.
>>
>>29872182
Good luck to you sir
>>
That's modern culture now. We've all been raised to be victims.

When you start to learn about this culture, you see it everywhere in everything. It's disgusting.
>>
>>29872241

Thanks bro, and likewise.

>>29872288

Could you elaborate on what you mean?
>>
>>29872327
There was a sociological paper released a year or so ago that talked about different cultures in the US and most of the West, and the core topic was about the current culture, in which people are hyper sensitive to things, and try to utilise third parties (i.e. people that aren't themselves) to resolve problems. I'll see if I can find the specific paper, there was a video I watched that covered it pretty well.
>>
File: 1467179478021.png (2 MB, 700x970) Image search: [Google]
1467179478021.png
2 MB, 700x970
>>29872327
Jews think they are victims of Christian oppression. Therefore we all must be
>>
>>29872370

Cool, hope you can find the video. I'll watch it.
>>
>>29872327
>>29872370
Here is an article by the Atlantic that is really good.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/09/the-rise-of-victimhood-culture/404794/
>>
>>29872415

It's an interesting article. That someone would be so offended by another student's use of the term "futbol" and for it to become such a huge deal really blows my mind.

But I personally didn't experience such things on my college campus very much, back when I was in college. Not that I'm saying such things didn't happen--but I didn't experience them.

However, the article called to mind one "incident" (amazed I'm even calling it that) that did happen to me a few years back.

Once I wrote "xiexie" to my boss at my work-study-ish-job (she was Chinese) and she replied "lol".

I could say that I did feel somewhat hurt by it, because I was actually studying Mandarin very intently at the time and she knew I was a linguistics major. But, I didn't take it that badly...I just said, "I was not joking, actually I'm studying Chinese", and she was like "oh, cool!" and that was the end of it.

There was no need to make a big thing out of it.
>>
>>29871715
But im not anon
origami, oregano oregemaginal, eroge
>>
>>29872643

I'm still trying to even understand what "victim mindset" is.

The article >>29872415 posted sort of explained it I guess. A kind of extreme oversensitivity that can be almost tribalistic.

But I feel like there's another meaning that "victim mindset" could imply--the rightful indignation and desire for a redress of grievances, once you realize that actually you have been a *victim* of some crime or cheat or other form of dishonorable treatment.

I don't want the term "victim" to become so stigmatized that people who are indeed victims of some grave injustice will be afraid to stand up for themselves.
>>
>>29871748
^
upvote for you you my friend
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.