[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>there are two possible things that happen when you die >1.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2
File: 1468080955411.jpg (43 KB, 319x310) Image search: [Google]
1468080955411.jpg
43 KB, 319x310
>there are two possible things that happen when you die
>1. You are born again as something else just like you were born a human being. This is different from reincarnation because there is no "you" that carries over-the only "you" that carries over is the only you that exists which is everything in this universe. You can't stop being conscious or being a life form because the alternative is being soil on mars or being involved in a fusion reaction in the sun-these things aren't conscious and thus cannot be experienced
>2. An uninterrupted eternity of nothingness. You randomly show up on Earth one day, as a human being, and randomly slip out forever. Life is nothing but a random fart in between the default state which is nothingness.

I have a feeling 1. is much more likely. It just doesn't make sense when I look at a massive ant colony comprised of hundreds of thousands of the buggers and when I step on one I snuff out his existence for all eternity. He was born as an ant one day, apropos of nothing, and then a few days into his existence I step on him and then BAM! Nothingness for all eternity. I'm not sure why we treat death differently for humans than insects-we all came out of this rock the same way, and we're all trapped in its ecosystem.
>>
>>29864564
>I have a feeling
because your feelings have been such a successful guide in your life right? ;^)
>>
>>29864564
its because of the human condition. one of its many symptoms, in fact. were the smartest, so its kinda hard to imagine how grand our lives are and how grand theirs are, simply because we have issues putting things to scale.
think about it, anon. a few days may notbe much to us, but thats the ants ENTIRE LIFE. its the same reason why life seems to go by so slowly wen youre younger. wen youre 2, 1 year is half your life, but wen youre 80, 1 year is an 80TH of your life.apply this reasoning to the ant. its all relative.
>>
>>29864586
You can't empirically prove what happens after you die. This is why I said I have a feeling.

The main problem with proving what happens after you die is the assumption that you go somewhere and that necessitates tracking down where you go.

But your entire being from head to toe has gone somewhere at around 3 times already if you're reading this (assuming you're around 21). Every atom in your body has been swapped out around 3 times.

So, which atom do we track for finding out where you go when you die? The answer is that there is no original atom in your entire body that is uniquely your own-it's all recycled. It's been used on this planet for a billion years.

So technically speaking, you die every second because you become something atomically different every second. There is no you to track because everything exists in tandem with one another.

Without trees, you wouldn't be here, for example. If Earth didn't have as much water as it has, then life would not have evolved on this planet and you wouldn't be here (but you would be somewhere else because like I said, you can't chill as mineral debris in Saturn's rings for hundreds of millions of years because that's not an experience).
>>
Yeah I agree.
"It is no stranger to be born twice than to be born once." -- Voltaire
There's also some Oppenheimer quote about him saying that thinking two cats doing the same thing in the same place born centuries apart aren't the same in someway.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.