[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's New York City like?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7
File: Reaction image.jpg (25 KB, 433x380) Image search: [Google]
Reaction image.jpg
25 KB, 433x380
What is New York City like, /r9k/?

As an Irishman, I have always wanted to visit the States and go to NYC in particular because photos of it make it look really nice, and I'm a big fan of the night lights and 'big city' feel that it has.

I suppose NYC is to us Irish what Dublin is to Irish-Americans.

So, anyone here from NYC that can tell me what it's like?
>>
i live an hour away and have to go there sometimes. it's a crowded disgusting shit hole with rude people, it reeks of diesel fumes and garbage, and it is expensive
>>
It's fun if you're attractive and wealthy. Not fun if you're ugly and poor.
>>
>>29852977
Hey you can stay at me and my parents house in NJ if yoy let me stay at your crib in Ireland
>>
>>29853043
That's just life in general, friend.
>>
>>29852977
The subway is incredible and really cheap. You can go almost anywhere in the city in 10 minutes and you never wait for a train.

It might as well be the home city of capitalism. I have never seen so much pointless fluff garbage advertising in my life. If you go to McDonalds the bag is covered in ads and sponsors. Anything you desire is at your fingertips. You can walk down the block to find whatever it is you're looking for.

People don't care about you. At all. You'll bump shoulders with people on the street (its crowded) and no one will turn to look at you or anything. You just keep on moving.

It's also the first city I've been in where if the light is red you still cross the street because traffic doesn't move.
>>
>>29853036
Really? Damn. My mother goes over there for vacation shopping, but I've never went myself.

>>29853043
I'm somewhat attractive, but I'm short.

>>29853051
I love Ireland, but it's not amazing as it's made out to be to Irish-Americans.

>>29853066
>It might as well be the home city of capitalism.

That's a good thing. Capitalism is great.
I just want to see the bright lights at night and go drinking or something.

What's the legal age in NYC? I'm 18, so I'm legal age here, but what is it over there?
>>
>>29853208
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J66VLmyF2PU#t=2m30s

21 is drinking age here btw
>>
>>29852977
It's an absolutely amazing place to visit.

Living there though is very difficult just because of the expense, and the negatives start to outweigh the positives.

Also you'll need to be 21 to drink and they are fucking strict with ID so I'd wait a few years if I was you.
>>
>>29853241
Ah, that sucks. I couldn't imagine waiting until I was 21 to go to the pub for a pint.
>>
>>29853260
>It's an absolutely amazing place to visit.

i don't know why people say this, compared to some of the cities i've been to i'd say nyc is an awful place to visit. it's just a bunch of fucking stores to buy shit, at least places like rome and florence have things to actually see.
>>
>>29853288
It's the night lights and city feel that I am interested in.

We have that in Dublin too, but only on the main streets.

Plus, American culture is intriguing.
>>
>>29853288
There's a lot more than just stores, but I can see how it wouldn't be good for the typical robot. Most of the fun stuff is very normie focused.

I'm not saying that NYC is better than Rome though. I lived in NYC and I now live in Europe and I much prefer living here. It's much more chilled out and everything is cheaper.
>>
The photos are all shiny because of the neon crap everywhere in the commercial parts of Manhattan, but the actual city is very dirty with trash everywhere until all the street sweepers show up to clean, and still dirty at all other times. It's nothing special at all, just a polluted and overpopulated city.
t. New Yorker
>>
>>29853341
rome is how a city should be, when i went there i felt like that is a proper city, nyc is just a grimey dirty cramped dump compared to rome.
>>
>>29852977
You've been brainwashed by American media and you're all the way in shitland? Holy fuck the Irish are cucks. Just stay in your country fucking loser
>>
>>29853440
Why do you have to be a dick about it?

I mean, it's not like Irish-Americans haven't been brainwashed about Ireland.
>>
File: NYC at night #2.jpg (200 KB, 955x636) Image search: [Google]
NYC at night #2.jpg
200 KB, 955x636
>>29853384
Yeah, I just see stuff like pic related and I get somewhat excited and want to go there.

Maybe I'm romanticising it a bit.

I feel like an Irish-American fawning over the wonders of Dublin City. Dublin City is nice, but it's full of junkies.
>>
>>29852977

Smelly. Litter everywhere. Rude rich people and rude poor people. Overpopulated. Expensive. Extremely superficial women. Homeless people.

The subway is neat but dirty. The city lights are pretty. The history is interesting, particularly for Irish people. And some of the food is really good.
>>
>>29853538
You're kidding yourself if you think anyone, anywhere thinks about Dublin. Literally just a nothing city In a nothing country. Only people living out their pointless existence one the fringe of society think about that place, and even they just consume American media and want to move to a smelly shithole like NYC because of "muh city lights".
>>
>>29853208
>lives in ireland
>mother can afford to go other there to shop

Ok so what's the craic potatoe man. Give it up, how rich are you? Where do you live in ireland? Wexford county is best county sure.
>>
File: 24564567654765.jpg (259 KB, 1204x803) Image search: [Google]
24564567654765.jpg
259 KB, 1204x803
>>29853620
Too bad, Dublins a beautiful city, really cozy aesthetics, nice people, good bars.
>>
>>29853620
Well, every Irish-American I've ever come across has wanted to visit Dublin, so I don't know where you're getting the idea that no Americans want to go there.

>>29853648
Limerick, lad.
>Wexford

Shit hole, more like.
>>
>>29853036

First post best post. OP, I would recommend Toronto instead. It's got all the good aspects of NYC without any of the garbage, overcrowding, arrogance (a large part of why I dislike NYC is because every person I know from there acts like it's the fucking Garden of Eden), and rude people (who are rude because they've willing subjected themselves to the social experiment of shoving 8 million people into tiny rooms with 6' tall rats).

If the American aspect of it specifically is a draw to you, there are other big cities that you can check out instead. I haven't visited it much, but from the time I have spent there Boston's a very enjoyable city.
>>
>>29853733
I suppose so.

I would go to Boston but I hear the Irish cocksucking over there is endless, and while I would appreciate the sentiment, I don't know about that.
>>
>>29853689
Wexford and Waterford are literally the best places. Best women, best farms. Nice pubs, chill towns.
>>
>>29853800
>best farms

I hate farms. In fact, I'm not a fan of the countryside at all. I much prefer urban areas and big cities, which is why I enjoy going to Dublin City.
>>
>>29853773

Ah yeah, that is true and didn't occur to me. Even so, no harm in evaluating all your options before sticking with NYC.
>>
I just got back home yesterday after spending some time in NYC.

Was one of the best trips I ever had but it was mostly do to meeting up with someone that lives there.
>>
>>29853830
dublin has an ok mcdonalds, thats it. shops are literally who tier.
>>
>>29853991
They have a class Burger King too and some really nice pubs like Fibber Magee's.
>>
File: 56875487596870.jpg (2 MB, 3401x2073) Image search: [Google]
56875487596870.jpg
2 MB, 3401x2073
>>29853733
>>29853773
Boston is pretty comfy imo. not too big, not too small, and there's parts of it that are really aesthetic.

>Esplanade
>Public Garden
>Faniuel Hall
>Columbus park
>Basically any part of the Emerald Necklace
plus museums and history out the ass

The dicksuccc only really happens on st. paddys day, and that's because everyone like to get shitwasted. For drinking, I'd say try to meet up with some college kids, which are like 20% of the population during the school year, they'll find you booze and pot.
>>
I hate everyone here.
please book me a trip to Alaska where the nearest person is 50 miles away.
>>
DON'T BUY THE NYC MEME, ITS ABSOLUTE SHIT HERE I'VE LIVED HERE MY WHOLE LIFE AND HATE IT
>>
IM IN NYC RIGHT NOW FUCKERS MEET ME AT THE MCDONOLDS AT 104 AND BROADWAY AND GET BTFO
>>
>>29853440
lmao this is something a new yorker irl would talk to you like. better get used to this OP
>>
>>29853066
>The subway is incredible and really cheap.

For an American city, it's really something. But after having traveled around a bit, it's unremarkable compared to some European and Asian cities.
>>
File: hustled bones.jpg (80 KB, 525x326) Image search: [Google]
hustled bones.jpg
80 KB, 525x326
>>29853066
>subway is incredible and really cheap
sure if you like walking around in garbage and hate escalators

>You can go almost anywhere in the city in 10 minutes and you never wait for a train
>anywhere in the city
>10 minutes
>never wait for a train

dude which fucking new york did you go to? because i'd like to see it, since it DOESN'T FUCKING EXIST
>>
>>29855726

I'll agree that most American subway systems are unremarkable compared to many European/Asian ones, but I'd say that even by American standards NYC's subway isn't that great. It stops at a shitload of places, which is nice, but wait times are no different from what I've experienced in other major cities (I live in the D.C. area myself, for reference), and it's as dirty as an open sewer.

The most impressive subway system in North America I've seen so far has been San Francisco's. Very clean, very efficient.
>>
File: 1429136391556.jpg (45 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1429136391556.jpg
45 KB, 640x640
>>29853321
Don't waste your time. Seeing as you're 18 you probably have a very idealized view of other places in the world and you yearn for travel and exploration, which is all well and good but as someone who's been to NYC to visit friends and not just for bullshit tourist garbage, it's not that great of a city. If you want that Bright Lights Big City feel you'd be better off going to somewhere else in europe, or opting for Toronto which is basically NYC but less stupidly crowded and not nearly as fucking disgusting. Plus things run cheaper because canadian dollar.
>>
Some many NYC robots in this thread, damn. Someone be my friend.

>>29853066
This is pretty spot on. 10 minutes is a load of shit.
It's also filled with some of the most narcissistic and insufferable people in the world.
>>
>>29855922
for 200 dollars, I'll be your friend for an hour.
>>
Too many niggers and shitskins. I should know, I'm a filthy shitskin.
>>
>Manhattan
yuppies with huge, inflated egos and jews
>brooklyn
hipsters with huge, inflated egos and hood niggas
>queens
3rd world shitskins
>bronx
hood niggas and 3rd world shitskins
>staten island
guidos
>>
File: jen?.jpg (66 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
jen?.jpg
66 KB, 720x960
It fucking sucks dick. It's crowded. The ENTIRE city smells like piss. Central park smells like horse shit.You have to take the worlds worse subways everywhere. Everyone talks like "deadass, my guy. im gonna grab them new, tims or i be sleep."
Shit place for shit people.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.