[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
(You)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7
File: dat boi.jpg (50 KB, 863x853) Image search: [Google]
dat boi.jpg
50 KB, 863x853
What part of your brain is the "you"?
>>
>>29849290
the cerebral cortex
>>
You is just a ego of made up past memories. There is no You, only consciousness.
>>
>>29849290
it makes the executive decisions in your brain and is the part of your brain that assigns likes and dislikes. solely without this part of your brain you wouldnt be yourself, if you damage this area you can be stuck without the ability to make decisions for yourself

a first year class in psychology should teach you this
>>
File: 1468006971287.jpg (6 KB, 263x191) Image search: [Google]
1468006971287.jpg
6 KB, 263x191
>>29849328
you bought the bait
>>
>>29849290
This post is me
>>
>>29849329

>it makes the executive decisions in your brain and is the part of your brain that assigns likes and dislikes.

But what controls it?

>a first year class in psychology should teach you this

No need for the patronizing attitude.
>>
>>29849290
the brain isn't the self, the body isn't the self, the self isn't matter.

if you think that the self comes from the brain, then answer me: what is the simplest possible brain that could have a self, and how can you tell? What is the special magic combination of matter that makes a self pop into existence when a moment before, there was no self?

when you see how ridiculous it is to assume that this is how things work, you'll see that the self is spirit, immaterial, eternal, and that matter only gives it a shape.
>>
>>29849385

But what is the "self"?

If I change, then am I still the same "self", or am I now a different "self"?

And if the latter is the case...where is the old self?
>>
>>29849399
the self is just a ripple in the field of consciousness. your life, and each life, is just one large wave in consciousness with many small waves in it (emotions, memories, habits, etc.) Some say that god is the largest self and that we are all ripples in god the same way that a bad mood is just a ripple in your "self."

Where is the old self.... when you eat a sandwich, where did it go? It changes form. The material gets broken down and chemically changed in the body. The self changes like this too.
>>
>>29849338

Prove to me that (You) as your ego exists.
>>
>>29849426

>Where is the old self.... when you eat a sandwich, where did it go? It changes form. The material gets broken down and chemically changed in the body.

At a certain point though, it ceases to be a sandwich.
>>
>>29849328
They are in effect the same thing
>>
>>29849489
yes, but it doesn't cease to BE. The self may be a liberal, but then later change to a conservative. That's a transformation. Th self could be immature and then change to mature. That's a transformation. Like how a seed becomes a tree. A seed isn't a tree nor is a tree a seed, but a cycle of transformation begets each from the other. That's material transformation. Self-transformation is the same. Just because you have the same name and memories and idea of who you are doesn't mean you haven't shifted in structure. The self isn't a discrete, singular thing. Aspects of the self come and go, wax and wane, grow and shrink.
>>
>>29849482

What do you think of the cogito
>>
>>29849489
>>29849532
and in the same sense, when you die, your self ceases to be a "human self" just like a sandwich ceases to be a sandwich.

Google "terry schiavo." She was a big controversy way back in the Bush years. Her brain was damaged (a transformation) and so her self was changed (a transformation). There were arguments as to whether she was still a self or not. The answer was, of course, that her "self" changed into something far less than it once was. The stuff that made it up transformed. Her self wasn't "there" or "not there" but rather in a degree of being there. There is an illusion that you either are here or are not here. Ludicrous! your self changes at every moment.
>>
im14andthisisdeep

anything else would be a mroe stimulating conversation, seriously a freshman textbook on psychology would end your curiosity and get you into more complex interests

the 'am i me' debate is a conversation only idiot laymen have
>>
>>29849779

>I am the great philosopher, your discussion is beneath me!

Get over yourself dude
>>
>>29849807
its not philosophy you dumbfuck, its basic psychology. thats what you keep getting wrong. this simply isnt deep
>>
>>29849842
You are literally in High School.
>>
>>29849807
easy way to figrue out if this is deep since you wont take advice

what are you looking for from this?

what small insight meme did you read that made you think up this first time smoking weed conversation

what knowledge do you have in the field that would directly apply from this

are you literally 16

if you answered yes to any and all of those you have no reason to be posting something about this after i told you to read a textbook
>>
>>29849842

No one cares if you think it's "deep".

You are barging into a discussion and basically saying "this discussion sucks, you suck!" and acting like you're so much above everyone else. it's off putting.
>>
>>29849842
the problem of the origin of consciousness has never been solved. the entire body of psychology is 100% a description of how the mind works and 0% a proof of what the mind is.

You have literally never read a page of a psychology textbook and you literally don't know what philosophy or consciousness is at all. You are probably 19 and in college and believe yourself to be educated.
>>
>>29849872
http://bookzz.org/book/544621/3aa77c
>>
>>29849889
the origin of consciousness? are you forcefully trying to push this into metaphysics

no you living dumbfuck im a grown adult, metaphysics is the most im1 and just started smoking pot conversation to have

and i told you where to find the conversation

consciousness comes from the brain and its proven in neuroscience

the conversation to have is just cringy
>>
>>29849926
>consciousness comes from the brain and its proven in neuroscience

you are about .00001% as educated as you think you are.

As I asked earlier in this thread, what is the simplest brain that can be conscious? How many cells must it have to be conscious? What happens when you take one cell away from this total? The brain goes from a fully conscious being to just a lump of dead matter?

"consciousness comes from the brain" is meaningless retard garbage spoken only by people who don't seem to understand that the quality of experience is not quantifiable in material terms. It hurts your worthless little brain to think about how there can be awareness if it isn't made of a bucket of shit. I pity you.
>>
the crap youre trying to bring into is a dead end, youll get literally nothing out of the conversation when you delve into metaphysics and its a worthless waste of time to bring up. everyone with two brain cells to rub together brings it up but its entierly a waste of time

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/scientists-find-a-link-between-low-intelligence-and-acceptance-of-pseudo-profound-bulls-a6757731.html
>>
>>29849983
>all of history's greatest philosophers tackle the meaning of consciousness
>I have determined that it was a waste of time because I halfway read something on the internet in between binge-eating and playing pokemon
>>
>>29849972
>As I asked earlier in this thread, what is the simplest brain that can be conscious? How many cells must it have to be conscious? What happens when you take one cell away from this total? The brain goes from a fully conscious being to just a lump of dead matter?

no, what happens is your brain makes up for it. you can actually cut a chunk of the brain out and it will still remember things. in humans specifically our brains are too complex that we cant actually delete memories.

it was hard to do for rats but we found out how, i dont remember the study on that

>"consciousness comes from the brain" is meaningless retard garbage spoken only by people who don't seem to understand that the quality of experience is not quantifiable in material terms. It hurts your worthless little brain to think about how there can be awareness if it isn't made of a bucket of shit. I pity you.

no little bitchboy youre looking for shit and wanting it to fit your totoro, inception watching bullshit, the world is really interesting just not in your disney for teens way
>>
>>29850010
and you realized you have nothing to contribute to the actual point i brought up so youve devolved, as your kind does.

im out enjoy your dead end kid
>>
>>29850013
>no, what happens is your brain makes up for it. you can actually cut a chunk of the brain out and it will still remember things. in humans specifically our brains are too complex that we cant actually delete memories.

But you just said that consciousness comes from the brain! You seem not to be smart enough to understand the sentences that you're copy-pasting off of your new-atheist chat forums. If consciousness was rooted in the brain, how could it possibly remain if a piece of the brain was removed?

It's amusing watching you struggle to understand. You're never going to, because you're as dumb as a rock, but it's fun teasing you into a rage.

Let me pass this one a mile over your weak little head: do you even know what consciousness is? Do you know the difference between a memory and the thing having the memory? Take a few hours and puzzle over that one. Don't respond right away while you're mad and confused. So, so confused by this simple, childish shit.
>>
>>29849873
you're a little bitch and literally 16
>>
OP here.

Please let's keep on topic and not keep feeding the troll.
>>
File: smugwojak4v2.png (32 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
smugwojak4v2.png
32 KB, 640x400
>>29849290
the answer is
the penis
>>
>>29849290
Obviously just the parts noticeably doing shit at the moment you're asked that question.
>>
File: Peace_Walker.jpg (491 KB, 1120x769) Image search: [Google]
Peace_Walker.jpg
491 KB, 1120x769
the mammal pod
>>
File: happy to be alive.jpg (7 KB, 232x200) Image search: [Google]
happy to be alive.jpg
7 KB, 232x200
>>29850358
The smug posting god.
i just want to say that i love you man, always making my day.
>>
>>29849290
Neocortex
>>
File: 146274359151.png (279 KB, 1315x1290) Image search: [Google]
146274359151.png
279 KB, 1315x1290
>>29849972
>>29850108
>falling this hard for the metaphysics/ontology meme
Read a book on Neuroscience. Or better yet, buy a time machine back to the Middle Ages.
>>
>>29850358
>>29851900
It's not him. The correct format should be

This spoiler
>>
>>29849779
Except the mystery of consciousness is discussed by some of the smartest philosophers, biologists, physicists and theologians in the world.
>>
>>29849290
The self is not some part of the brain. The self has no form, its not an object.

The self is not coinciousness either. When you lose coinciousness it is experienced by the self. When you take drugs and start experiencing the world differently, its the coinciousness that changes. The self remains unchanged
>>
File: 1451433500027.png (35 KB, 352x352) Image search: [Google]
1451433500027.png
35 KB, 352x352
>>29849290
ayyyyyyy whaddup
>>
>>29851958

So no other part of the brain is you--just the neocortex?
>>
>>29852203

>When you lose coinciousness it is experienced by the self.

When you lose consciousness, how are you "experiencing" anything?
>>
Where just (you) made up of other (you)s.

Memes made up from others memes.

Our brain constantly searches for patterns(memes) puts them together in a logical process to output the memes.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.