[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw incredibly high standards but couldn't get a gf
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
File: Margaret_Hamilton.gif (262 KB, 566x719) Image search: [Google]
Margaret_Hamilton.gif
262 KB, 566x719
>tfw incredibly high standards but couldn't get a gf even with substantially lower stanfords

Does anyone else know these feels?

>must be pursuing/completed a ph.d. in stem, philosophy, or literature
>must be well-versed in math at at least an undergrad-level (algebra & analysis at a minimum)
>must have an above-average level of knowledge of classic visual and auditory arts
>must read literature frequently
>must partake in cultural events like art shows, theatre productions, symphonies regularly
>must enjoy traveling to cities to further explore these interests
>must be pretty
>must be slim
>must have no mental health issues
>bonus: interested in theoretical computer science/foundations of mathematics/formal philosophical logic
>>
>>29847160
Holy fuck, dude. Those aren't incredibly high standards, those are nearly impossible standards.

Some of them are alright, but
>must be pursuing/completed a ph.d. in stem, philosophy, or literature
>must be well-versed in math at at least an undergrad-level (algebra & analysis at a minimum)
>must have an above-average level of knowledge of classic visual and auditory arts
>bonus: interested in theoretical computer science/foundations of mathematics/formal philosophical logic

are incredibly stringent standards. Those easily knock off most females. Finding someone that meets those standards is going to nearly impossible. It could happen, but more than likely it will not.

Bottom line is to just go with someone that makes you happy and not feel like a piece of shit. You're looking for a romantic partner, not a well qualified employee.
>>
also
>extra bonus: interested in free software/user privacy/building open platforms
>extra extra bonus: runs an FSF approved Free operating system
>extra extra extra bonus: runs a free BIOS
>>
>>29847365
well yeah, but at some point i'd rather be foreveralone than have to live to someone whose interests I don't share.
>>
>Hey guys, I'm so smart, haha life is so hard, know these feels Reddit?
Fuck off you insufferable insect.
>>
>>29847719
why so mean-spirited? :(
>>
>>29847160
>STEM
Fuck off, subhuman.

>liking old hags
disgusting.
>>
>>29847989
what are your standards anon-kun?
>>
>>29848016
>hurr im le stemfag i need u to meticulously list out everything
>>
>>29848042
you may phrase your answer in the form of an gouache painting, minimalist symphony, solid iron sculpture, or a satirical short story.
>>
>>29848084
>minimalist
You even listen to awful music

I bet you think 'minimalist symphonies' exist!
>>
>>29848123
well, you can do another opera if you're feeling trite, but i wanted to give you the chance to create something new.
>>
>>29848165
hurr im so le smart xddddddddd

Good lord do I hate you poser teens.
>>
>>29848261
>cleverly avoiding putting some actual thought into your future because you're afraid of what you might realize

Not even STEM can help you now
>>
>>29848283
>STEM
>putting thought into anything
lmao, undergrand believe this

t. person with hundreds of hours of lab internships + 6 years of post-BS work.
>>
>>29847160
I understand, OP. I have similar standards, except I did do a PhD so that one is optional.

I kind of understand why people say the standards are impossible, because so few girls tick all boxes. But are they unreasonable? Unattainable by a woman? I'm just looking for someone who ticked the same boxes I ticked. Is that so unreasonable to ask for?

Lowering your standards will do nothing, as the uneducated party whores which will then be "in scope" for your attraction will want nothing to do with you. You should go for an educated chick.
>>
>>29848401
*did not
>>
I believe there should be a balance between "accepting someone the way he is" and "finding common interests". Depends on the way you look at relationships. I don't care if he/she will like the same things I do, if I'm still able to have a meaningful conversation and find *a* topic we share, movies, music, whatever. I'm not looking for a person to learn derivatives with senpai
>>
>>29848401
I actually did meet a girl like this (more into literature/arts but she also did a math major) in undergrad, but she had severe depression and trust issues. We still talk but nothing ever really happened because of that.

But I definitely haven't been putting in the effort myself recently (going to seminars, conferences, extra classes, making a point to dress nicely/be clean shaven, etc.), so I can't complain too much right now.
>>
>>29848490
>senpai
Alright. Alright.
>>
File: no feels left.gif (971 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
no feels left.gif
971 KB, 500x500
>>29847160
>must willingly acknowledged me
>must think positive of me
>must not be fat
>must not be a roastie

i've got such high standards, lel... ;_;
>>
>>29847432
These dont sound like interests they sound like you being a prententious faggot.
I highly doubt you do any of these things yourself.
>>
>>29848588
the ones i don't are
>i know very little about music, as pointed out by the other anon
>i haven't done much traveling yet
>i am not /fit/, but at least thin.
>i'm probably on the autism spectrum somewhere
>>
>>29848536
which animu is this from, i see him alot and i should probably go watch it. its the same one as that weird looking chick too right?
>>
> currently doing geology undergrad, aiming for grad school
> taken 2 or 3 credits in math
> i originally was going to become an artist, worked on commissions
>member of a book club, this month is Nabokov themed
> i love stage shows and museums
> i like travelling but can rarely afford it
> horsefaced
> slim? Lolololol nice fucking joke OP
> depression, general anxiety, think i might have autism or OCD because my stimming movements have affected my living substantially
> i like computer science but i never really pursued it, have many softwear eng/ comp sci friends

I think your problem OP is that you shouldnt be attracted to accomplishments, but to goodness. I've met plenty of people who are professors or phd students and they have no love for what they do, no serious intellectual insight, etc. I'm also friends with people who barely graduated high school are some of the most impassioned, ethical and charming people i know.

Why do you want someone like this op? Do you fit those standards and feel thats what you deserve? Do you think those accomplishments are short and for "smart" and dont think someone with anyone one else can qualify as such? What is the point?
>>
>>29848536
you can do it anon, I believe in you and you deserve such a girl :)
>>
File: word.jpg (3 KB, 327x36) Image search: [Google]
word.jpg
3 KB, 327x36
>>29848745
Thanks for the response.

Well most of them aren't accomplishments but rather signs of interests. That is what regular friendships are based upon, right?

You're right, I'm potentially cutting out a ton of people I might like. But so far the only girls I've been interested in have fit more or less those criteria. I fit most of these standards as in >>29848642, but I definitely don't think that's what I really deserve, at least right now.

It's not that people who don't have them aren't smart, it's just that I might not be interested in spending time with them. For example a person could be really into stock trading and know how to do due diligence and stuff, but I don't really care.

>Why do you want someone like this op?

I want someone to talk to about what I'm reading or learning. Someone to send a funny joke I found in a textbook. Someone I can bounce ideas off of, and vice-versa. Someone to spend the day at a whiteboard going down some rabbithole. Someone I can visit art museums and plays with and have neither of us be bored. Someone I can work on a real project together with.
>>
>>29848745
and fwiw you sound like a cool person. Yes, I should've definitely included goodness, which I take to mean general kindness to people. To this extent I think most people are good.

>who barely graduated high school
perhaps the ph.d part is a bit restrictive. but most of the rest of them you can just find and study on the internet, although I'll admit that it's not the easiest to be motivated to study some subject you don't 100% love if you're not in a class.
>>
>>29848897
Okay, that makes more sense, youre using those things as shorthand for " things i like".

However, you dont need a partner for everything. I believe your partner should be your best friend, but even in my closest platonic friendships i largely compartmentalise my interests because they are varied. Theres my friends to have bantz with, my science friends, my nature friends, my art and music friends, my comic book and action figure friends, etc.

You dont need to do everything with your partner, you might appreciate the breathing room. Likewise, she might feel smothered. Disagreements in taste could lead to growth, either in developing a new skill or learning to tolerate and support someone in something you dont care for.

In the end, most people are willing to try for those things if youre an otherwise likeable person. Ive had crushes on guys with no stem background who know more about art than me, and ive liked guys who could outmath me any day but were completely blown away by even the most rudimentary insight into restoration comedy. Their interests and accomplishments were secondary to their curiosity, moral values and wacky senses of humour. Its the everyday process of interaction that matters.
>>
>>29848951
> cool person
Thanks op! I think a lot of people got annoyed with your list because it comes off as cynical or status obsessed, but youve made it clear its more an issue of wanting someone to get along with. With that in mind, you definitely sound pretty rad.

> phd

I think the reason it bothered me a tad was that its a bit classist. I came from a shitty neighbourhood but go to a decent university. The people here can memorise facts and maybe even produce some great research but none of their opinions surprise me. My working class friends think more creatively.
>>
>>29849052
Thanks anon. Maybe I need to try and get regular friends first.

>Their interests and accomplishments were secondary to their curiosity, moral values and wacky senses of humour. Its the everyday process of interaction that matters.
Yeah, that makes sense, especially since a lot of people (incl. me) just haven't been exposed to something they might potentially like.

>>29849149
Thanks for the perspective. Cheers.
>>
I know those feels.
But I don't ask for a Ph.D or high amounts of knowledge in certain area.
I just ask for curiosity and desire to know, to learn.
I did 1 year and a half of fine arts and left because I found out most people in there wanted to be artists but lack the curiosity to research by themselves about art and stuff. Which is extremely easy.
And the teachers didn't surprise me with anything new.
I think that's the hardest part of finding someone with same interests, nobody will really impress you. Or at least nobody can impress a curious person.
I dont know much about math or physics, but still would like to know more or learn more. I'm deeply in love with astronomy although I know I don't know enough.
I read and watch movies for pleasure.
I need to learn things inorder to not get bored. (I hate myself a bit for spending time here)
I will start my anthropology career next month, to see how it goes.(And I plan auditionig for the acting school next year)
I'm a 19 y/o with almost no friends, but I don't have mental issues, I'm pretty, I'm slim, (90, 63, 88, 175cm) but I find it hard to connect with non-curious people, and for bonus I cannot do small talk, at least not enjoying it.
I somethimes think the only people I could date are men like Nikola Tesla or Leonardo Da Vinci.
Plus, I do live in a corner of the world.
I'm not unique nor special and I wont start any STEM career, at least not until I'm in my 30s or 40s.
The STEM-capable of appreciating Art Combo is hard to find.
>>
File: 1458462723385.jpg (283 KB, 1000x997) Image search: [Google]
1458462723385.jpg
283 KB, 1000x997
If you're posting this on RK9, it's fair to say that you're no catch yourself.

I feel like you permavirgins say you have high standards as an excuse for not having the social skills to date any woman, let alone this fictional super woman you describe.
>>
>>29850399
Are you mad that he has (not really that) high standards. In my opinion what he wants is just a smart person. What's so bad about that?

>I feel like you permavirgins say you have high standards as an excuse for not having the social skills to date any woman
>>tfw incredibly high standards but couldn't get a gf even with substantially lower stanfords

> let alone this fictional super woman you describe.
Not really that outlandish
>>
File: fatguys.jpg (216 KB, 706x1280) Image search: [Google]
fatguys.jpg
216 KB, 706x1280
>>29850501
I guess I am mad a bit. I see all this shit like the comic attached.
I just find it arrogant when guys expect impossible standards from women, but make no effort to improve themselves.
>>
>>29850399
I just saw blade runner for the first time last week. Im still mulling it over in my head. I really enjoyed it.
>>
>>29850700
Those standards aren't impossible though. I know tons of girls like that already. I /somewhat/ fit within those standards too.

Except for
>>must partake in cultural events like art shows, theatre productions, symphonies regularly
>>must be pretty
>>must have no mental health issues
>...
You know what, nevermind
>>
I can describe my ideal woman.

>5'5"
>long dark hair
>big light eyes
>perky nose
>nice figure
>artistic creative type
>likes to go to concerts
>can sing
>reads
>extroverted
>will cook dinners with me
>somewhat of a cinephile

At least that is what the woman is like who inhabits the daily fantasies in my head. Even though there are countless women who would fit this description it doesn't matter. I am 28 and i have not so much as been on a first date before. I am fundamentally, emotionally stunted. I just didn't turn out right i guess.

For now i just focus on finishing my degree and my hobbies. I am close to finishing my masters in metallurgy. The blacksmithing club at my university has grown from 8 people to 50 since i took over. I got us 10 new anvils and a powerhammer to play with. Once i graduate i will set up my home metal shop and start something on the side in my spare time. It will probably take 5 or so years to gather all the tools i need but the basics wont take long. Metal working unfortunately can be a tool intensive hobby.

In my head though my fantasy girl helps me come up with projects to build. She is the designer and I am the builder. It is nice to dream.
>>
>>29847160
why post a non animated gif?
>>
File: beth gobbons.jpg (66 KB, 500x605) Image search: [Google]
beth gobbons.jpg
66 KB, 500x605
>>29850991
Can you make jewelry or things girls typically like?

I'm a web developer/designer and I started doing fashion related sites. Met a few girls that way.
>>
>>29851116
i can but working with precious metals can be a pain. When i get full time access to a SLA 3D printer i plan on doing silver investment casting because im not that good with carving wax by hand.

But then again meeting women isnt the problem. Woman are all over my university. I just dont understand romance. I freeze. I can talk with beautiful women about crystal structures or some random celebrity gossip just fine, but if i was tasked with starting a relationship deeper than friendship I would have not the slightest clue.
>>
>>29849970
I'd like to know more women who fit this profile exist out there. I know they do, I've met one myself. Unfortunately, they are already taken for sure.
>>
>>29851860
I'm almost sure I exist, and I think there could be people like me, but not in a tiny city like mine.
I suppose if I focus on my projects and goals I'll eventually find someone on the way.
Something I'm sure, is that you won't find this kind of person in a bar or a danceclubpartywhatever, and if you do, they are well disguised.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.