[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>get the urge to make a simple 2-D platformer despite not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: aid2132808-728px-2132808-7.jpg (102 KB, 728x524) Image search: [Google]
aid2132808-728px-2132808-7.jpg
102 KB, 728x524
>get the urge to make a simple 2-D platformer despite not having any ability to code
>download different programs for game creation, gamemaker for simpler GUI for idiots like me
>want to make the main character, look at some reference sprites
>remember I have no artistic abilities at all and immediately give up after failing to draw a leg

Whenever I see a normal person post some dont-give-up macro I just wonder what runs through their heads that allows them to keep going on. I struggle to brush my teeth most days.
>>
>>29835702
Did you actually expect to just be good at something without working at it?? Drawing is a skill-- a bunch of skills actually-- that you have to develop. You were never going to make a game with that attitude.
>>
>>29835702
Not giving up isn't an instant process. It's a pain in the fucking ass. I code for a living and every time I sit down I am terrified of coding. I'm scared that the code I write will break, not work, and my boss will call me incompetent and fire me. If I don't know how to do something I spike of adrenaline hits me and I have to walk around before trying to do the thing again.

"Not giving up" means acknowledging that that will happen, possibly every time, and being okay with it. There will be pain, you will be ignorant about stuff sometimes, you will not know how to do a lot of shit, you will be awkward around people, you won't know what to say. People will think that your art sucks, or your music sucks, or your game isn't creative.

The whole time you have only one thing on your mind, and that is the next time that you will attempt the thing you just fucked up. Hopefully you're also thinking about how to not fuck up next time, but it isn't really necessary.

You gotta be the Muhammed Ali of depressed and anxious people. You take that switch for "giving up" and you fight like hell to turn it back on. You calm your ass down after being anxious and you come back for round 2, and 3, and 4.

It's not about being "normal" lots of normal people are less equipped for following through on difficult tasks when compared to someone with depression or an anxiety disorder. After awhile you won't care that your task is difficult or impossible, because you know that you will make another attempt.

So you fucked up drawing a leg? Fuck it up again, differently. You won't get it right the first time, that's the whole purpose of learning. Let your brain figure out how to not fuck up while you try again.

You don't have to be mentally healthy or stable to be successful at shit you attempt. It's nice, but definitely not a pre-req.
>>
"Practice" is a meme, you either have it or you don't. "Practising" is just perfecting the skills you were already given by luck.
>>
>>29835702
just learn to program
>>
>>29836197
Argue for your limitations and they're yours.
>>
>>29835702
>remember I have no artistic abilities at all and immediately give up after failing to draw a leg
*laughed originally*
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.