[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did lonely or depressed people do before TV and the Internet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: dril.jpg (18 KB, 409x243) Image search: [Google]
dril.jpg
18 KB, 409x243
What did lonely or depressed people do before TV and the Internet were a thing? I've gotten bored of just sitting in front of the computer.
>>
killed themselves because there is nothing.
>>
>>29834137
They killed themselves

Or I guess went to libraries and shit like that
>>
>>29834137
such a dumb quote
>>
File: 1441730872880.jpg (155 KB, 400x674) Image search: [Google]
1441730872880.jpg
155 KB, 400x674
>>29834137
M...- Mastur-- Masturbato
>>
>>29834222
Trips confirmed. Quote is basically say murder for fun is the same as volunteering in charity.

>>29834137
A lot of reading. The intellectual with the blues was a real maymay.
>>
Reading and writing. It's what I do when I'm cut off from the internet.
>>
File: 1438907429413.jpg (16 KB, 251x300) Image search: [Google]
1438907429413.jpg
16 KB, 251x300
>>29834137
They read books and bathed in the radiant sea of sunshine that is the collective wisdom of our most enlightened minds instead of wallowing in the plebeian sewage trough of the Interbucket.
>>
>>29834255
Tbh his meaning is probably that objectively there are only "things" that are happening and that the judgement of wether these things are good or bad are subjective, thus relative to the absolute of the event in itself which simply "is".

Where it's dumb is that there is only ever subjectivity as far as making a judgement of an event goes, we aren't machines, we aren't primarily concerned by the shape, weight and point of impact, things exist in our lives (in our subjectivity) before anything else.
>>
>>29834137
Books and movies probably, maybe some developed painting or musical skills.
I feel like a lot of people here with way too much free time would have been better off without internet, maybe they would have developed a worthy skill.
>>
The vast majority would be working 14 hour days after graduating grammar school. They didn't have the time le first world existential enui. They'd fucking murder to have it this easy
>>
>>29834354
>>29834330
This

Get the fuck off the internet and fucking do something you faggots
>>
>>29834355
they fucking murder and then after some time they'd get bored
only people who can truly enjoy this are old people who did work their asses off

>>29834378
meh
>>
The less smart ones probably used a lot of alcohol or drugs.
>>
>According to a childhood friend, Schubert "used to sit down at his writing desk every morning at 6 o'clock and compose straight through until 1 o'clock in the afternoon. Meanwhile many a pipe was smoked." The Austrian composer's afternoons were less rigorous; his friend noted, "Schubert never composed in the afternoon; after the midday meal he went to a coffee-house, drank a small portion of black coffee, smoked for an hour or two and read the newspapers at the same time." On summer afternoons, he often went for long walks in the countryside surrounding Vienna, then enjoyed a glass of beer or wine with friends. He avoided giving piano lessons, even though he always needed the money and frequently had to rely on friends for financial support. As one member of his circle remembered, "Schubert was extraordinarily fertile and industrious in composing. For everything else that goes by the name of work he had no use."
Sounds pretty comfy
>>
File: 152156.png (421 KB, 615x409) Image search: [Google]
152156.png
421 KB, 615x409
>>29834355
They'd murder to live in a time ful of niggers and Jewish mind control.
>>
>>29834438
this, just like nowadays
>>
>>29834438
Smart people do a shitload of drugs.
>>
>>29834137
They went out and met people
>>
>>29834438
http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/11/14/high-iq-linked-to-drug-use/
>>
>>29834644
>For everything else that goes by the name of work he had no use
An early example of a NEET.
That does sound comfy though.
>>
>>29834137
Abandoned society and led a simple, spartan existence in the wilderness. You'll probably need to exercise some before trying that, though, it's a tough existence
>>
>>29834939
I don't see a reference to the original source. They probably based the results on a self-reported survey and included any kind of illegal drug usage. There is a big difference in stealing granny's pain medicine vs buying street drugs.
>>
Very few people got depression back then. People had bigger concerns, like "how do I not starve to death today" and stuff like that. The few sensitive spirits would become poets or painters or whatever.
>>
File: 0435 - Wot3ijc.jpg (149 KB, 653x635) Image search: [Google]
0435 - Wot3ijc.jpg
149 KB, 653x635
My grandpa has been a depressed robot since grandma died. He doesn't use the internet.

He mostly spends his days feeding ducks. Whats weird is that he basically treats the birds like a shitposter would treat boards on 4chan

He has his 'main duck' where he spends his time shitposting. By which I mean, he gives it lots of bread, sometimes he coats the bread in mud and juice from potentially poisonous berries, sometimes he slaps the duck with the bread etc. It gives him the most joy.

Then he has his 'sub ducks' that he fucks about with but not quite as much. He mostly goes to them when his main duck doesn't show up

Then he has his 'specialty' ducks kind of like boards nobody shitposts on. For example I might visit /po/ to learn Origami if I need to but would't bother shitposting. Sometimes my grandpa will get approach one duck in particular because that duck is very fat and he wants to see if ducks will eat a new kind of bread he bought.

Its pretty crazy desu. I sit at home all day on 4chan, he sits with his ducks all day. I feed low quality posts to my main board, he feeds low quality bread to his main duck. He even bitches about women to his ducks lel. I was sitting with him a few months ago and spoke to his main duck and started telling it to not worry about 'crumb hunting whores'. I guess that is their version of roasties.
>>
>>29835905
t. duckhold
>>
>>29834137
They were too busy working on living to see tomorrow to be depressed
>>
>>29834255

good and bad are social constructs
>>
>>29836050
The term "social construct" is a social construct.
>>
>>29834438
It seem drug users are either very stupid or very smart-very little middle ground in the drug world.
>>
File: 1452491975873.jpg (71 KB, 500x469) Image search: [Google]
1452491975873.jpg
71 KB, 500x469
>>29836132
original cultural marxism
>>
>>29836667
not sure if you're agreeing with me or not. also off by one.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.