[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't Americans have these things on their windows?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: white_shutters_resize.jpg (20 KB, 600x535) Image search: [Google]
white_shutters_resize.jpg
20 KB, 600x535
Why don't Americans have these things on their windows? In the summer it keeps hot and sunlight out, in the winter it keeps hot in.

Is there even a word for these in English?
>>
Never heard of em/seen em, I just put up aluminum foil on my one window in this room, my bedroom, because it's the only room I inhabit, where I spend most of my time. It helps keep heat out, and sunlight. Window, foil, blinds, curtains. All of those keep it pretty dark in here when I want it.
>>
Shutters? Yeah, we do, but we keep them inside. We also have curtains that also block out sunlight and insulate the room from drafty windows. Guess you guys are behind on the times?
>>
>>29828150
"blinds"?

>not even american or brit
>>
>>29828150
>Is there even a word for these in English?
>white_shutters_resize.jpg
Hmm. I wonder.
>>
>>29828171
>Never heard of em/seen em,
Here in Europe these things are on literally every window. (minus office buildings and stores etc)
>>
>>29828179
Anything INSIDE the building don't do jackshit in keeping hot temp out.
>>
>>29828190
No, blinds are like curtains (from fabric)
>>
>>29828233
Curtains are the cloth things that you pull across a rod to cover the window, this is external (inside the house). Blinds are the shutter things, sometimes plastic, sometimes wooden if you're a bit of a fancy lad, that open and close via a string you pull, again, inside the house.

That's always been the case in my experience, might just be a regional difference in what they're called.
>>
>>29828204
Yeah, apparently it's called "rolling shutters"

I just wonder why it isn't popular in the US.

In Europe it has it's own industry and shit. Hell, modern models have motors and you can hook it up to some house computing shit (like a thermostat) and adjust when you want it to roll down, at specific time every day or at certain outside light intensity etc.

And another benefit is that people on the streets can't look in your windows, or when it's dark outside and the lights are turned on.
>>
>>29828299
My bad my bad.. *40 in brown sack to chest* ey my bad, I meant: Internal (inside the house)*

I fukkd up, but you see what I mean.
>>
>>29828218
Uhh, yeah. Why don't you actually try it and see how much of a dumbass you are.
>>
>>29828317
Yeah, I tried those aluminum shutters and in direct sunlight they were so fucking hot I couldn't touch them and radiated to much heat the inside temp was over 110 near the window.
>>
>>29828309
>Hell, modern models have motors and you can hook it up to some house computing shit (like a thermostat) and adjust when you want it to roll down, at specific time every day or at certain outside light intensity etc.
And we wonder why obesity rates are skyrocketing since we're too lazy to actually adjust the easiest things for ourselves.
>>
superior glass technology, people here generally only have storm shutters and they are to prevent damage during hurricanes/tornadoes
>>
>>29828326
>shit that doesn't happen
Continue trolling pls. I have aluminum shutters and that has never happened even living in this 100F shithole.
>>
i have some cardboard lined with tinfoil on my windows
>>
we have air conditioning to keep things cool inside
>>
>>29828150
we have guns to shoot the heat away, son.

YYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

HHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>29828364
ok whatever U say pham

must've been my imagination then
>>
>>29828394
True, but anything else you can do to help is great.
>>
>>29828150
Because they look like shit/work like shit.
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 892x366) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 892x366
>not buying smart glass
Typical Europoor
>>
>>29828437
the one the left looks pretty shitty i must say
>>
>>29828433
Nah they don't look bad, work bad I don't know, but they look alright. Better than shitty foil on the window like some piece of trash.
>>
>>29828437
Have fun when some autist masturbates to your silhouette at dusk
>>
>>29828468
Only mentally ill robots would put tinfoil on their windows. Only eurotrash would have these abominations ruin the aesthetic of their house.
>>
>>29828437
thanks for ruining the view
>>
>>29828500
Nah they're fine, even foil I guess. Especially if its on a window that's out of plain sight (side of house facing right up against a fence). It's fine though, and the ones in OP look okay too.
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 492x322) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 492x322
>>29828456
It's just their shit tier camera
>>
>>29828150
In America we have double planed glass on most homes that is a better thermal barrier than metal shades.
>>
>>29828653
(why bother with some shitty mechanical solution when you can just get glass that regulates temperature correctly?)
>>
people have them because they live in shitty area
>>
>>29828671
>glass that regulates temperature correctly
Because that shit does not regulate anything. No matter how good the insulation is, then direct sunlight hits your windows at least 6 hours a day, no matter how good the glass is, it's still a fucking greenhouse.
>>
>>29828557
wow itslike looking into a n abyss
>>
>>29828653
>>29828671
just put some ducking tinfoil or solid object obwr tpur window

duxk
>>
>>29828431
why when they work perfectly fine?
>>
>>29828150
those are blackout shutters.

as in, "we need these because there is a blackout side"
>>
they're called shutters and believe me they aren't for the cold or hot, they're to keep people from breaking in
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.