[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is depression and anxiety real? Why does it seem to be more
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 1467369263084.jpg (97 KB, 329x500) Image search: [Google]
1467369263084.jpg
97 KB, 329x500
Is depression and anxiety real?

Why does it seem to be more common now than it was say 50 or so years ago?

Is computers/internet causing it? Is it live in civilization games where if you have too high of a population the people become discontent?
>>
>>29826815
it's real and it's caused by being separated from people who care about you

most of us just don't have anyone who really cares anymore.
>>
It's real and in a large part caused by mineral deficiency. It causes chemical imbalance in your brain, quite literally. Make sure you eat some fruit, veggies and protein every day.
>>
>>29827018
>tfw I'm in a vicious cycle of not eating because I don't even have the energy or motivation, then I don't have any energy or motivation because I haven't eaten
>>
>high exposure to strangers
before you had your family and an immediate community who would do their best to accept you and find you a place. now you just compete with sociopathic normies.
>permanence
social media and digital storage will make your past last longer. painful memories can persist longer than the day it happened.

they did research and found out that the average 18 year old today is under the same stress a 35 year old would have in the 70s.
>>
>>29827787
>>high exposure to strangers
>before you had your family and an immediate community who would do their best to accept you and find you a place. now you just compete with sociopathic normies.

Joe Rogan did a bit on his podcast about this, He says we were never meant to be this connected with people, we've gone from knowing about a small village to the entire world and it's having a negative effect on people
>>
>>29827048
You obviously have the energy and motivation to complain
>>
There are a ton of factors that can make you feel depressed. Consumer culture is a big one. Products promising you false happiness, advertising preying on and perpetuating your insecurities. As long as you can generate demand for a product, it will be made available, regardless of it actually being a good thing. An internet designed with such a mindset will contribute to your misery.
>>
File: 1432185707679.png (218 KB, 600x579) Image search: [Google]
1432185707679.png
218 KB, 600x579
>>29826815
> Is depression and anxiety real?
yes. but i think a lot of depression is simply humans realizing what a shit deal this is and giving up (not voluntarily, but the software that does effort/risk/reward equations just decides nothing is worth it) - society pretends this is "mental illness" so those ideas don't spread to the rest of the population and can be contained.

> Why does it seem to be more common now than it was say 50 or so years ago?
the death of god
>>
File: 1430612918774.jpg (539 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
1430612918774.jpg
539 KB, 1200x1200
>>29828251
This post is trustfull.
>>
Too many people. Standards are too high.
>>
Fulfill a purpose (self-defined) and cultivate mental integrity. It protects against anxiety and depression. However, it won't bring happiness without further measures.
>>
>>29826815
>Why does it seem to be more common now than it was say 50 or so years ago?
Most people here are depressed because they don't have a girlfriend.

Before the sexual revolution almost every man was guaranteed a wife in his early twenties. Now it's impossible for some to even hold hands with a girl without paying in the current year.
>>
>>29829236

Most people don't realise what a blessing it is to avoid commitment with a modern woman.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.