[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Psychology graduate during later stage of an LSD trip. anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3
File: fractal.jpg (771 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
fractal.jpg
771 KB, 1920x1080
Psychology graduate during later stage of an LSD trip.
anything you guys would like to know?
>>
Is Slaanesh or Khorne amongst you?
>>
Have you read "thinking, fast and slow"?
>>
>>29815584
I haven't, first I hear of it actually.
>>
>>29815669

Changed the way I think. If there was one book I'd have everyone read it's this one.

Back to topic, what are the most important psychology studies you know of?
>>
>>29815553

Have you ever thought of doing a real degree?
>>
>>29815720
I'd say I find tests maintained over decades (raven, wechsler, etc) most impressive psychological achievements so far. no study, unless you count longitudinal ones, comes close to that. Keep in mind though, that psych is really still in the dark ages
>>
>>29815746
funny. I've spent two years on aerospace engineering. Which kind of led to what I'm doing these days
>>
>>29815583
never could get into 40k
>>
>>29815746
>tfw some lowlife neet insults an actual university degree
>>
>>29816296
>Actual degree
Oh you mean that Freud guy who is the father of psychology?

Do you perhaps have an obsession with phallic objects?

Psychology is a fucking joke. I don't care if there's a job after a degree, it will always be a joke until you can actually prove it.
>>
>>29816346
You're probably the kind of faggot who thinks psychology is only about 'here sit on this couch and talk about your feelings' baka
>>
File: 1439987194282.jpg (45 KB, 409x409) Image search: [Google]
1439987194282.jpg
45 KB, 409x409
>>29815553

Better question, is there anything you'd like to know? lol Pretentious when spoonfed baby psychology from a book. kys.
>>
>>29816406
No I'm not. I used to love psychology and sociology. Trying to simplify human emotions to different types of experiments has failed too many times.

Basic things like anger is different in every culture and 'psychologists' are too blind to even understand that human emotions are not universal.

Have you not read the nature article that stated over 55% of psychological/sociological experiments have failed to be reproduced?
>>
>>29816296
>>29816346

oi, chill. I'm rarely the voice of compromise but in this case you are both kind of right. Psych has a long, long way ahead of it and today it's where medicine has been in 18th or 19th century. It doesn't mean, however, that is has nothing to show for itself and progress has to be build on something

also fuck freud, no single person has done so much to harm psychology, despite stumbling along some actual discoveries
>>
>>29816460
see THIS I can get behind
>>
>>29816460
what exactly do you do now?
also how many crazies were in your major? heard that most of them flock to sociology and other fields like that, and that said departments all hate psychology because it dismisses freud as saying nothing but bullshit, compared to other departments having an obsession with him
>>
>>29816543
I'm doing software development these days. kinda prophetic in nature, my best friend always said that psych and IT will switch places one day and here I am writing code, and our best friend, who was a database dev just finished his psych degree.

as for crazies - one really stood out. A complete catholic fanatic, with a mission to cure gays. We had a lot of fun with her at genetics 101
>>
>>29816543
also >departments all hate psychology because it dismisses freud as saying nothing but bullshit, compared to other departments having an obsession with him

more or less. fuck, I actually organized a minor series of talks for several years, which were meant to show people from the outside how psych works these days and how much we are not working on freud's theories
>>
>>29816726
do you have any images that you imagined in your childhood and such, that you still remember?

for example, when i was around 6 years old, i thought it was amazing how i could hear words in my head wihtout moving my mouth. i then imagined a scene of a unicorn with purple sparkles and shit in the background (idk why) and i just kinda always remembered it.

if not, maybe its just me.
if so, why do you think people remember these things? i guess it was kinda the time when i really discovered thought for myself.

also, do you feel like life is jumbled mess? the more things i learn and understand, the more questions i have.

it sounds strange, but the more i learn, the less i know. kind of cruel honestly, because it creates a feedback loop

kinda babbling at this point but ate some shrooms earlier and wanted to uhh idk something
>>
>>29817078
plz reply sempai
>>
>>29817078
yes, there are some images that are stuck.

as for the second part, it's more or less what I'm thinking each time i'm taking lsd. The progress we've made so far is easy to see, however, so I'm hopeful.

I know what you're asking and it's particurly difficult to put my thoughts on the matter into words. If you've taken shrooms then you know exactly what I mean, psylocybin and lsd act in a very similar way
>>
>>29817130
sorry, took me a while to gather thoughts
>>
>>29817211
checked
i know EXACTLY what you mean. its surreal.

i feel like i have concepts in my head, that i push through tube of many layers (which is a visualization for my ethics, memories, beliefs, call it a spirit) which converts them to words

this tube is the only thing that is different internally between humans. it is you.

can you imagine true communication? evangelion-esque shit (if youve seen it)

i imagine the world would be very different if we could truly communicate without words
>>
>>29815553
I told my therapist about my intrusive thoughts(stabbing/killing people) do you think she is now scared of me?
She is the first therapist where I talk about it
>>
>>29817272
its cool. what are some images you remember from your discovery of visualization? the thing that sticks out prominently in mine is the lighting. i always imagine scenarios with strange lighting situations.

I have one thats a front view of a tall brown house. the sun is setting behind it. it is slightly distorted (very slightly) because i am on the ground looking up at it.

I also have one that seems to be in a futuristic setting; possibly when true communication is applied. its me laying in a beautiful grass field, with a single tree, silently. it seems to be post-post-dystopian, where its peaceful, but the atmosphere is like something terrible happened involving advanced technological achievements.
>>
>>29817211
also, do you believe in a god? i feel he designed discussion of this matter to be difficult on purpose. we all know, but it is not compatible with our "thought tube" therefore we cannot express it coherently.

like when crazy people babble on about esoteric subjects. those subjects do make sense and do exist, but the communication itself is where things are messed up. also cruel.

i guess thats why its based on a theme of faith
>>
>>29817315
I can. It can't be done the way we're doing it today. Take a look at any debate, even the ones organized by universities - when you're dealing with a complex idea, a single channel of slow communication like speech is simply not enough. with each statement there are new branches of reasoning you'd have to follow simultaneously.

I have huge hopes for true man-machine interfaces.It'll allow us to tackle more complex problems and will be a massive boon to psychology too. It will be a revolution like none before, unlike industry or even the internet.
>>
>>29817361
Nah, she can probably handle far more crazy and will simply call the cops if you go mad on her. Thinking and doing are two very distinct things however. If I pushed every child I thought about pushing off a ledge I'd be the most hated person on earth.
>>
>>29817386
>visualization

I could go on for hours about that. I'm doing the graphic side of software dev and currently experimenting with 3d. I'm obsessed with light

>God

Nope, I'm a veteran atheist. I come from a somewhat religious family and used to believe strongly when I was a kid. It's difficult because our brains are meant to deal with somewhat less complex issues. We can tackle them, sure, but to use a software analogy, we're not optimized for that
>>
>>29817600
how did i come to exist one day?

life is way too wierd
although i do believe in the idea of intelligent design.

but if it exists, or it doesnt exist, does my belief make a major impact?
what is the reason behind human belief? probably socially related.

I see beliefs as a major drawback and factual evidence as the next step
>>
>>29817712
well, I could give you more or less a complete tour from a fraction of a second after big bang to today. I have no idea what happened earlier. We will now that someday though, I have no worries about that

as for belief, there's a number of possible explanations. I'd say that it's because the divine watchmaker trap is too easy to fall into. Even physics doesn't make it easy at times, because unless you look hard enough, 2nd law of thermodynamics would support it. And then there's the whole big bang business
>>
Psychologist should be gassed for their incompetence to actually help people and the way they hold the topic of mental health hostage in order to continue to justify their salary and existence.

Please don't put the two words LSD and psychology into one sentence again. It's blasphemy. Like a Nazi talking about the quality of Jewish wine. Eat shit and die OP. Give the LSD to your patients and then kill yourself and your colleagues for a better world.
>>
>>29817899
you're confusing therapy and science here mate. I've had little to do with therapy and would be terrible at it.

truth be told, most of therapists are. Like my fiance's therapist who can't figure out why she's insomniac.

as for your rather flowery analogy - would you say the same thing about an accretion disk to an astronomer? Sure, some decades ago, they didn't even know such things existed. Today we know exactly where its place is during stellar evolution. It's the same deal here. A human mind is a problem to be figured out and psychology is the name of the discipline that figures it out.
>>
>>29817899
>>29818033

All hostility aside, this guy is right.

On that point then, psychology is some low-tier stuff and holds very little place in the heart. It treats people as if they are inanimate objects; discarding their feelings and pain.

The best way to help people is to understand what they're going through and show them loving understanding. Secondary to that is to give advice to help them recover.
>>
>>29818155
Well, I'm going to have to disagree with you here. No one knows what is the best way to help people - if we did we obviously would be better off unless there's no hope for us.

Psychology is meant to further the understanding of the human brain. to push it so far that we can readily solve problems of the sort and never fail to prevent them, where possible. understanding is of little use for someone with schizophrenia so advanced they believe they're an archangel. They need someone to figure out exactly what's causing the problem and how to address it.

and I have no illusion here - we're not there yet. But you could have said exactly the same thing about purely medical problems two centuries ago.
>>
>>29818033
Astronomers never did the job of Inquisitors
Psychologists did and do
You are a cancer upon society and should have no authority with your half-assed quackery, instead you sit in courtrooms and castrate whoever gets you the least societal backlash.
You are a laughable bunch that should be wearing clown-shoes and red noses for the next few centuries, whenever you present your new scientific findings.
>>
>>29818292
>No one knows what is the best way to help people
I do, my friend. It's essentially what I just said: bring someone to them who's been through some shit and is willing to show them loving understanding. Then, hopefully they can help them from there onwards.

Most mental illnesses are caused in my opinion by too much negative stimuli and a lack of love from others.

Psychology focuses on the outward world which is largely useless. You need people going inwards and learning wisdom, and then doing the above to help others. Real psychology is about consciousness anyways. Watch this, it's very interesting:

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugvMqHkUO-0
>>
>>29818399
>Most mental illnesses are caused in my opinion by too much negative stimuli and a lack of love from others.

Yeah I'm sure that applies to people with autism. Or with brain damage. or with down's syndrome.

>>29818393
Look at this from this perspective, if it bothers you so much. You have to ask an opinion about someone's mental faculties. There's a group of people who deals with that exactly. They still have a lot to do in the matter but no one else knows any better. You've got little choice here, you know some things will be done wrong because they don't yet know everything but at the same time no one else has even those qualifications. And if they don't continue, it's never going to get better
>>
>>29815553
>Psychology graduate
Yeah, good luck with that.
>>
>>29818582
>Yeah I'm sure that applies to people with autism. Or with brain damage. or with down's syndrome.
Those aren't so much mental "illnesses". Autism/down's syndrome are generally development issues of the brain during fetus development. They can sometimes be somewhat improved with certain nutrition.

Things like schizophrenia normally develop later in life. Most likely everyone with that mental illness is depressed and/or unloved and lives with negative thoughts throughout each day.
>>
>>29818695
>Things like schizophrenia normally develop later in life. Most likely everyone with that mental illness is depressed and/or unloved and lives with negative thoughts throughout each day.
and yet there's genetic component too, so clearly there's something more. And give me a call once you figure out a way for everyone to love one another if you think that'll solve it

>Those aren't so much mental "illnesses". Autism/down's syndrome are generally development issues of the brain during fetus development. They can sometimes be somewhat improved with certain nutrition.

sometimes somewhat does not cut it. We want to understand why, how and how to prevent it. if we leave it to you we'll be forever left with sometimes somewhat

>>29818655
having really good luck actually
>>
What do you think is going to be a big fresh new meme
Also if you will study this pepe
>>
File: IMG_20160707_170708.jpg (18 KB, 277x400) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160707_170708.jpg
18 KB, 277x400
Orogi ansndjdjrjt
>>
Question

Why is that i "day dream" about positive outcomes and hipotetical scenarios and that from them i feel things
Like sadness, anger, love, etc.

I know it's a form of escapism, but whats your opinion?
>>
>>29818819
Stopped caring almost ten years ago.

Also cheers guys, I have to get some shuteye, I have a training tomorrow I don't want to miss.
special cheers to the shrooms guy
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.