[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GET FIT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 224
Thread images: 25
File: TTVGBTGRTRGF.png (3 KB, 750x383) Image search: [Google]
TTVGBTGRTRGF.png
3 KB, 750x383
In this thread: I help you get fitter. Ask any question, set any goal.
>>
I would really appreciate some advice.
I just started working out 2 weeks ago, and I've been going to the gym every other day, doing 5x5 stronglifts.
Is it normal and acceptable that I can finish my workout in about 30 minutes? Does it need to be longer? I always do 30 minutes of cardio afterwards, so it makes for an hour altogether. Don't worry I'm trying to lose weight, so I know cardio isn't good for gains.
>>
>>29813738
how do i get a skinny face?
>>
>>29813847

lower body fat percentage
>>
>>29813766
>Is it normal and acceptable that I can finish my workout in about 30 minutes?

Yes. When I started, I was doing even less, but had no program. Time isn't really meaningful here. If you start, you will be weak, and that means you will reach your max more quickly.

For less exercises, I now spend over an hour doing exercises I would have finished in about 15 minutes before (excluding exercises I couldn't do back then).

>I always do 30 minutes of cardio afterwards, so it makes for an hour altogether.

I would strongly advise to do cardio on a different day. Maybe seek someone else's advice, but strength and cardio don't work well together in the same session. Doing it afterwards, I think, is the better option, though. But if you do SS or SL, which include leg work, you shouldn't be able to run easily.

>Don't worry I'm trying to lose weight, so I know cardio isn't good for gains.

If that's your main goal for now, lifting can take a serious backseat. You can always get back to it later.

But yeah, if you're doing your best, don't worry about the length. Just be sure to use weight that is too heavy for you to do more than one necessary rep.
>>
I've tried time and time again to work out with the end goal of my peak potential being the result, but each time I lose the drive and motivation to keep pushing forward. Is it better to work at disciplining myself by exercising little by little and gradually working myself up?
>>
>>29813847
>>29813860

This. Fat cannot be lost locally. You can't target fat loss. Fat is stored and used all over, roughly. To get a skinny face, you'll need to burn the fat all over your body.
>>
>>29813882

Your problem almost assuredly lies in your organisation. If you think something MUST be hard to be worth it, you will artificially increase the difficulty of what you do. This ends in you giving up because what you do is too hard, too demanding.

Let me ask you: what is your goal?
>>
I've been running for a good 4 years now and I'm pretty much a fucking skeletor with no arms. I'm thinking of transitioning to gym but don't have slightest clue how to start out. Help me out here bubba.
>>
File: Nick's Fitness Guide for r9k.png (689 KB, 3664x2552) Image search: [Google]
Nick's Fitness Guide for r9k.png
689 KB, 3664x2552
>>29813951

Read my guide. It should answer most of your questions.
>>
>>29813918

For me at this point, exercise and getting fit is a stepping stone to not only build confidence, but to also fan the flames of desire for what I want to accomplish.
>>
File: image.jpg (12 KB, 220x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12 KB, 220x200
>>29813738

What happened to those website links for BMI and calories calculators? Are they not good enough anymore?
>>
>>29813984

We need to know if what you want is:

- losing fat
- getting muscles
- getting stamina
- all of the above

That's what I mean by having a goal, because some of these things don't work together necessarily.

>getting fit

As in gaining weight, losing weight, getting muscle mass? What do you desire my friendly anon?
>>
>>29813867
Very detailed thank you for the advice. I'm focusing mainly on my diet to lose weight of course, but I just want to lift to make sure I'm not completely doughy and skinnyfat at the end. Also, I will switch the cardio to my off day, thank you friend.
>>
>>29814007

I'm 6'2, 172 right now. I'm skinnyfat, and out of shape. Muscles, stamina, and an aesthetic physique are what I want from the hard work. I want exercising and seeing these results to also psychologically benefit me as well.
>>
>>29813993

I still have all of them in my address bar, just for you guys.

I'm trying to be fresh every time I show up.

>guide with bonuses
http://pastebin.com/zrpicavw

>calorie calculator
http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

Everyone needs to calculate this while knowing that it may be off.

>weigh self daily upon waking, after emptying yourself
>count cals daily
>see how things work
>>
>>29814025

You're welcome.

I'd also advise to switch from SL to SS, although using the principles should give results all the same.
>>
File: 1350355745749.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1350355745749.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>Swim laps at the Y for exercise
>Am skinny so I sink like a stone, half the effort is put into simply staying afloat
>did this shit for 6 weeks straight, three hours a week
>A few months ago I just stop
>Haven't swam there since

I'm going to make an effort to try to go back monday now that I have a lot more free time in the mornings, but I'm afraid that I'm going to have issues motivating myself to leave the fucking house.
>>
>>29813766
>Is it normal and acceptable that I can finish my workout in about 30 minutes?
Yes. If you think you aren't getting enough of a workout and you have enough time, increase sets. 5x5 shouldn't take much longer than half an hour anyway (rest between sets included).

Don't worry too much about that right now. Any exercise when you're a noob is going to give you results, even when in a caloric deficit.
>>
>>29814044

Lift. Don't try to tackle too much at once is my advice. Start with lifting and putting on muscle. Read the guide that I posted. It will tell you all you need to know and how to get to it depending on what you can afford, financially and mentally. For instance: some of us cannot go to a gym because of mental reasons, I offer solutions for such people as well.
>>
>>29813847
Drop to 8-12% (for some 14-17% is low enough) body fat percentage.
>>
>>29814068

Swimming is cardio. Is your goal cardio? Do you wish to get more stamina?

If your goal is to get fit, as in more muscly, then swimming won't cut it. I'd advise not focusing on swimming for that particular goal if that's your goal.

I also doubt that the reason you sink has much to do with your weight. Your swimming form may be the real culprit here.

Questions:

1. do you enjoy swimming?
2. do you want to get more muscle mass?
>>
I seemed to have peaked at 25 lbs lost, it's going so much more slowly than the first month or two. what do?
>>
>>29814119
>I seemed to have peaked at 25 lbs lost, it's going so much more slowly than the first month or two. what do?

If it's going "slowly", then it's still going, and that's great. Depending on how fat you started, this is normal. The law of diminishing returns. Most things start strong and gradually dwindle. You get less results, because those results are harder to get. Don't worry.

State current weight and weight when you started.
>>
>>29813738
How does one go about dropping body fat percentage? Any advice?
>>
>>29814157
211 when I started, 185.5 this morning (though it's been hovering at 186 for the past week or so).
>>
>>29814113

>do you enjoy swimming?
It's summer and I live in the swampass belt, so any escape from the heat is welcome. It's nice and keeps me active being full body exercise, but swimming back and forth and back and fourth for 45 minutes a day gets real boring real quick.
>do you want to get more muscle mass?
Muscle would be nice, but I've got almost zero energy, so right now stamina is more important in my opinion
>>
>>29814176
>How does one go about dropping body fat percentage? Any advice?

The same way you lose fat in general: less calories in than calories out. Reduce your calories. You can do cardio to accelerate the process too. But mostly, just eat less calories.
>>
So my BMR is around 2000 (6 ft, 190lbs). If I exercise to the point of burning, say, 1000 calories a day, would that be an unhealthy amount of weight loss?
>>
>>29814044
>skinnyfat
You have several options and depending on how high your body fat percentage is (approximately) and how much muscle mass you have currently, you should pick one of these: bulk, cut, maintenance/recomp.

All 3 will give you results eventually. If you're fat (25%+ bf percentage regardless of weight), definitely cut down to at least upper teens while lifting of course. You will most likely gain some muscle mass on the way depending on how far away you are from your natural potential. Once done cutting, eat at maintenance for a week or two and start bulking.

If you're skinny (below 15% bf), bulk.

If you're regular skinnyfat (vey little muscle mass and 17-22% bf) you can try a recomp routine (eat at maintenance, lift). A bulk/cut cycle will most likely give you results you want faster.
>>
6'2" 290 lbs here.

I've worked myself into quite a hole. I have sleep apnea and always feel tired. The fix is obviously to lose weight, but I have zero energy and zero motivation. Food addiction is bad too. How the fuck do I finally break free?
>>
>>29814178

Staying at the same weight for a week isn't that bad at all. If it's still going down, don't worry about it. If it's stalling at the same weight for a long time, consider reducing your calories.

As you lose weight, your body needs less energy to just move yourself around, thus the calories required lower. You've probably reached a stage where you need so fewer calories than before that your weightloss has slowed down to a near halt.
>>
>>29814244
I've been at about ~1200 cal/day for a few weeks now. I'm probably just worried too much about it since the initial gains were so great.
>>
>>29814176
Eat a 20-25% deficit and lift (bodyweight exercises are better than nothing). You absolutely need to lift or at least do bodyweight exercises to reduce muscle mass loss as much as possible. Since you're probably a complete noob, you can gain some muscle while losing fat at the same time.
>>
>>29814184
>It's nice and keeps me active being full body exercise, but swimming back and forth and back and fourth for 45 minutes a day gets real boring real quick.

Keep in mind that you will never grow muscles from swimming. I took up swimming with getting muscles in mind some years ago, so if you're making the same mistake, I must inform you right now. Swimming is strictly for cardio and general exercising, it will not make you stronger or bigger.

>Muscle would be nice, but I've got almost zero energy, so right now stamina is more important in my opinion

Stamina will demand more energy from you. You don't need much energy to do a good lifting session. A rule of thumb is that you should reach nearly your maximum, but never go beyond that, so you should never get "too" tired. Lifting demands energy in short bursts with lots of rest in between. For a beginner, you will find weight lifting much easier than running or swimming, if done right.

Read the guide on what lifting should be like.
>>
>>29814213
>So my BMR is around 2000 (6 ft, 190lbs). If I exercise to the point of burning, say, 1000 calories a day, would that be an unhealthy amount of weight loss?

That's a lot of exercising. It completely depends on how you eat. If your deficit is 1000, that's a lot. I'd advise 600kcal less than your BMR, just to see how that goes. No matter what you do, count your calories. It's essential.
>>
>>29814213
In general, yes. Such a diet is not sustainable over longer periods of time (2-3+ months, even earlier for some). You WILL feel tired eventually. Eat at a 400-600cal deficit and start lifting.
>only cardio and a 1000cal deficit
You will lose a bunch of muscle mass along with fat.
>>
what are some good exercises to do if you don't have access to a gym (or are too sperg to go to one)?
>>
>>29814240
We can't help you with that. It's something you simply have to do not only for physical appearance, but for your health as well. Do you care?
>>
How much bf% could I realistically lose in 2 months if I eat -500 cals and workout 3-4 times a week?
>>
>>29814273
>I've been at about ~1200 cal/day for a few weeks now
You are definitely still losing weight. Try not to worry about it too much and don't weigh yourself all the time. Weight fluctuates significantly throughout the day which means seeing a difference on the scale in just one week can be difficult. Weigh yourself every 2 weeks.
>>
File: 1404594881879.jpg (41 KB, 388x500) Image search: [Google]
1404594881879.jpg
41 KB, 388x500
>>29814240
>I've worked myself into quite a hole. I have sleep apnea and always feel tired. The fix is obviously to lose weight, but I have zero energy and zero motivation. Food addiction is bad too. How the fuck do I finally break free?

You write down your weight every morning and you count your calories every time you eat.

At first, don't even set a ceiling, just write down what you eat to get an idea of how much you really eat. Awareness of the amount of calories you put in you will motivate the shit out of your fat ass, I promise.

Next, you educate yourself about the food you eat. Favour fresh products and unprocessed food items. Learn to appreciate natural food by starving yourself until your hunger teaches you how delicious a tomato is, for instance.

Next, prepare food that is nutritious and filling: veggies to the max, stews, soups, lots of water. This will fill you up for few calories. Vegetables are almost zero calories but will fill you the fuck up.

I can always conjure up some motivation in the form of images.
>>
>>29814240
seriously what >>29814347 said about health. you may be young now but diabetes is fucking scary and overweight people have like a 50-50 chance of getting it these days. try an all-consuming diet, cold turkey off unhealthy food. count calories, use an app like myfitnesspal. the numbers are motivating, especially too autists like us.
>>
>>29814276
>Since you're probably a complete noob, you can gain some muscle while losing fat at the same time.

As long as you provide your body with enough protein, you will gain muscle mass, in my experience at least.
>>
>>29814371
I like weighing myself every day though, it helps me stay in a routine. get up, shower, weigh myself, eat breakfast, go for a bike ride. I know I need to keep the routine because if it breaks it has a cascading effect. it's happened before.
>>
>>29814325

Read the guide. But basically this, for beginners:

>pushups, until you can do over 20 easily, it's a great exercise, do 5 sets, even if there are sets of 1 pushup, do girl pushups if you can't do classic ones

>get dumbbells, do military presses

>get pullup bar, do chinups if you can, do negative ones if you can't

That's a good start for home stuff. You only need some leg work and you have a complete body workout.
>>
>>29813738
I just want to lose weight and not have to become an exercisefag (no offense) in the process. What's a simple "it just works" routine I can get into to just lose weight?
>>
>>29814361
>if I eat -500 cals
I hope you mean 500cal deficit. Eating 500cal a day would eventually kill you.
>workout 3-4 times a week
By workout do you mean strength/resistance training (lifting, bodyweight exercises) or cardio?

Anyway, 2 months of 500cal deficit is approximately 8-8.5 lbs of fat. It won't all be fat, though. You will lose some muscle mass unless you lift.
>>
>>29814361

If you mean 500 calories less than your daily requirement, then you may lose around 4 kilos, or 8 pounds, roughly. I don't know how much that would be for you in terms of percentage.
>>
>>29814425
If you really are eating 1200cal a day, you're definitely without a doubt losing fat.
>>
>>29814425

I weigh myself daily, not like an obsession, but as part of a routine. I get up, piss and shit, weigh myself, write down the weight. It gives me a record I can overlook and see trends with. Keep doing it, it's worth it.
>>
>>29814405
Getting enough protein shouldn't be that hard for most people, but you're absolutely right, I forgot about protein.
>>
>>29814450
put down the fork
>>
>>29814325
This please. there's a gym at walkking distance but I'm too much of a sperg to go.
>>
>>29814450
>I just want to lose weight and not have to become an exercisefag (no offense) in the process. What's a simple "it just works" routine I can get into to just lose weight?

Good news: you don't actually need to work out to lose fat. Even with working out, it may be useless if you don't eat accordingly. Eating less calories than your body needs "will just work", 100% guaranteed.

Working out is done to get stamina or to get muscles, or flexibility, or all three, but I never advise working out primarily to lose weight.

If you work out hard, as a beginner, you may burn 500kcal, which is nothing compared to what your body burns during a day just existing and walking a little, around 2000kcal. All you really need to do is count your calories and know, roughly, how much you burn in a day.

Calculate your basal rate here:

>>
>>29814485
>>29814489
alright, thanks for the weekly motivation. gotta decide on dinner now.
>>
>>29814325
Invest in an adjustable dumbbell ($15-25 for a 20-25lbs dumbbell, additional plates cost $5-15 depending on weight). You can do a lot with just a dumbell as far as equipment goes. Do push ups, pull ups if you can (nearby park for example, you can also install a wall-mounted pull up bar if you have a concrete/brick wall), regular squats, planks, l/v sits etc.. There's so many bodyweight exercises out there, use google.
>>
>>29814494
>Getting enough protein shouldn't be that hard for most people,

It's especially hard for people who don't know that protein is required for muscle growth and general body repair. The amount needed for muscle growth can be a lot if you don't eat the right food. Getting 40 grams of protein with eggs, for instance, requires you to eat over 7 eggs or so, that can be too many eggs for a lot of people. Protein shakes are a huge help here, I drink them with milk to make them tastier.
>>
>>29813738
I am too scared to go to gym, not like that there is any near in this shithole I live in.
So I am building my own from scratch.
What are the essentials which I should make ?
>>
>>29814521

Read my guide, I address this issue. I've never used a gym myself. I do everything at home. And I AM getting results.

Workmate noticed my gains some weeks ago. I denied working out, like a bitch, because I don't think it's good enough yet. I think I'm a dyel still, and won't admit to anything until I have something to show for it.

I know many of you doubt me because of the results, but I do get results, which are silly to judge without comparing to where I started (skinnyfat weakling).

I know what I advise works and is seconded by people far more advanced than I am. I haven't invented anything in what I advise.
>>
>>29814575
>Protein shakes are a huge help here
I'm more of a 200-300g of chicken breast a day guy. That in itself is 60-90g of protein. On top of all the other food I eat, I end up at ~160g+ of protein a day easily even on a cut.
>>
>>29814601

Are you French?

The essentials:

>compound exercises (using 2 joints, no isolation with 1 joint)
>pushing
>pulling
>legs

>military presses (or overhead presses with barbell)
>pushups (or presses when you can do 20 pushups easily)
>chinups / pullups
>squats

This works your whole body.

Basically, buy a barbell, a rack for security, a bench, and you're all set. And a pullup bar. With this, you have the best gym.
>>
>>29814637

Chicken is more than fine. Great source of protein.
>>
>>29814447
I'm another guy but.
I can already do pullups and pushups pretty easily now.
I started to just do pullups/chinups in the stairway everytime I walk by a while ago, I usually do 5-7 at a time.
20 pushups hasn't aver been too hard for me.
I feel like i have gained a little bit of muscle but have hit kind of a plateau just doing this, I guess the best thing for me to do now is to go to the gym but I have pretty bad social anxiety.

I will never get big ;'(
>>
File: lose-gain-maintain-weight.png (71 KB, 698x749) Image search: [Google]
lose-gain-maintain-weight.png
71 KB, 698x749
How calories work.
>>
What would be the effects of fasting for a week?
>>
>>29813738
I'm a skelly. If I start working out but don't eat enough will I get skinnier, I really only want the endorphins
>>
I have a skinnyfat gut. Can I lose it without changing my dit? I eat mildly healthy but still enjoy the tendies mildly often.

I used to be fit in high-school with a shit diet. I actually tried in PE, but without someone to motivate me I've regained the gut.
>>
>>29814601
Budget? Gym equipment is very expensive. Dumbbells and a barbell are a must. A bench is quite useful, as well.
I personally have a couple of adjustable dumbbells (20-60lbs), a barbell and a wall-mounted pull up bar. It was ~$250 in total (Europe, Croatia).
>>
>>29814667

Friend, I'm gonna assume you aren't very fat at all, which is why you can do these bodyweight exercises easily.

Don't worry, you don't need to go to a gym at all. In fact, you're better off spending that money on a home gym and studying what to do well.

You will get big if you stick with me. Read my guide and watch a bunch of tutorials.

All you really need is this:

>a barbell
>a rack
>a pullup bar
>maybe dumbbells

If you acquire these, you have a gym at home. It will cost you less than a year at a gym and it will be yours forever.

If you don't have money, there are solutions. All explained in the guide.

You need to focus on free weights now, dumbbells and/or barbell. Make sure your form is PERFECT. Make sure you never lift too heavy and never suffer the bad kind of pain (sharp and alarming).

Watch these:

Introduction to Barbell Training
https://youtu.be/7HRqB30lxmo?list=PLcQezwqoDs7ECX54FS0Lnkcn47AL5a5-L

Deadlift
https://youtu.be/4AObAU-EcYE?list=PLcQezwqoDs7ECX54FS0Lnkcn47AL5a5-L

Overhead Press
https://youtu.be/CnBmiBqp-AI?list=PLcQezwqoDs7ECX54FS0Lnkcn47AL5a5-L

Bench Press
https://youtu.be/4T9UQ4FBVXI?list=PLcQezwqoDs7ECX54FS0Lnkcn47AL5a5-L

Power Clean
https://youtu.be/wIB_X2N6020?list=PLcQezwqoDs7ECX54FS0Lnkcn47AL5a5-L
>>
>>29814686

Fasting for over 3 days becomes unhealthy. You'll be fine for the first 48 hours, but after that, just don't.
>>
>>29814638
No slovak. (Slovakia)
Eastern europe.
Also buying is out of question, I am poor as fuck.
>>
>>29814700

It depends what your work out is. If it's cardio, you may, but doing cardio will make you hungry and you will eat more. Either way, eat more. Don't be a skelly.

You should be all right, though. Go ahead with the cardio. If that's what you want.
>>
>>29814669
so if you want to build muscle do you have to eat more calories than your metabolism burns?
>>
>>29814686
You'd lose ~1.5kg or 3.3lbs of fat and some muscle. You'd also probably collapse or feel extremely tired. Not a good idea at all.
>>
>>29814706
>I have a skinnyfat gut. Can I lose it without changing my dit?

No. You must lower your calories so that your body ends up tapping into its reserve of energy: your body fat. As long as you feed your body the energy it needs, it won't tap into the reserves.

Count your calories. Eat what you like but keep it under your daily requirement.
>>
>>29814714
I am going to make them, not buy them.
I have shitton of materials at home
>>
>>29814706
>Can I lose it without changing my diet?
If you do cardio, yes, but you'd have to lose weight all over. There's no way to spot reduce fat.
>>
Recovering alcoholic reporting.ve been lifting for a few monthsut what to improve my breathing and heart more and focus more on those. Is 30-45 minutes of cardio three to four times a week to make a significant difference? Im mostly concerned about the damage years of drinking mightve done to my body, so i want to focus on reversing that. Plan on seeing a doctor next week but wanted some info in the meantime.
>>
>>29814755

Make sure to see if anyone sells, or gives, equipment. Most people give up on working out. They buy weights and all, then never use it again. You may find people willing to just give you the stuff for free, or very cheap.

Ghetto mode:

>pushups
>chinups using a rope around a high beam or anything like that, or bars at a park, anything
>military presses using water jugs or ANY heavy objects

These are the best essential exercises you can do. Any SS program is built around their BB equivalent: bench presses are basically pushups for advanced people, chinups/pullups work your back muscles, military presses work your arms. Only leg work is missing here. Do squats with a backpack full of stuff.
>>
>>29814779
A pull up bar is fairly easy and simple to make and I guess you can improvise with dumbbells. I still highly recommend to buy at least one 25-40lbs (~10-15kg) adjustable dumbbell. They're not very expensive, they go for $20-30. A pull up bar is ~$50.
>>
>>29814768
>so if you want to build muscle do you have to eat more calories than your metabolism burns?

Unless you already have a reserve, your fat. If not, then yes, you need to give your body more than usual so it can produce more of itself: muscle.

If you don't, you will not grow muscle and will stagnate.
>>
>>29814755
You can get fit without any equipment. All you need is some research and dedication.
>>
>>29814804
>Is 30-45 minutes of cardio three to four times a week to make a significant difference?

I'd imagine so, yes.

>Im mostly concerned about the damage years of drinking mightve done to my body, so i want to focus on reversing that.

Everything you will do towards that goal will be infinitely superior to not doing anything.

>Plan on seeing a doctor next week but wanted some info in the meantime.

You will do great. What is your goal? More stamina, more muscles?
>>
>>29814706
just cut out all the snack and junk foods replace them with fruit if you must. get a mountain bike and ride as hard as you can for 30-40 minutes.

i look super autistic running but when im on a bike it just looks like im casually riding not necessarily exercising.

also i recommend doing a 24 hour one day a week. you only end up skipping 2 meals, its not difficult

just some things that are working for me
>>
>>29814776
When can I switch from SS and to what routine?

I'm at 80kg squat 90kg dl 62.5kg bench and 37.5kg OHP
>>
>>29814886

True, but the additional time it may take you is not worth it. Bodyweights will make you stagnate very quickly and you may lose entire years doing shit routines that bring little results.
>>
>>29814853
You underestimate my power. I have full tanning shack and equipment. If I can make football balls I can make dumbbels too.
>>
>>29814905
*24 hour fast
>>
>>29814768
Generally, yes. If you're a total noob, you can gain muscle while eating at a deficit as long as you lift/workout 3 times a week and eat enough protein. You will have to start eating at a surplus.
>>
>>29814905
>i look super autistic running but when im on a bike it just looks like im casually riding not necessarily exercising.

Chances are you're better off looking autistic but actually burning calories than looking great burning less.

>also i recommend doing a 24 hour one day a week. you only end up skipping 2 meals, its not difficult

This. There is no health risks doing it, we have evolved to survive much more. Skipping a complete day is fine and a fine way to burn a lot of calories in one go. If you can do it, on an off day, then go for it. I try this every week and absolutely always fail. But if you can, do it.
>>
File: 1451416706541.jpg (192 KB, 1351x505) Image search: [Google]
1451416706541.jpg
192 KB, 1351x505
>>29814920

You are more advanced than me. But I have this, it may help.
>>
>>29814899
My main goals are to be able to breath right, not feel tired and fatigued all day, and just to not have to worry about having a stroke at such a young age. I only recently got sober again, but last time i got clean i wasnt seeing results fast enough so i got discouraged and quit.
>>
>>29814721
Thanks mate, I'll look into buying some home equipment. If I happen to stay on my goal for once in my life I'll make sure to post my progress here in a year.
>>
>>29814923
Still much better than nothing. As he said, he's poor as fuck so equipment is out of the question.
>Bodyweights will make you stagnate very quickly
There's different push up variations where you 'push' more of your body weight by raising your legs and you can always strap something heavy (a backpack filled with rocks for example) to your body for pull ups and even push ups if the backpack is tight on your back.
>>
So I'm a hikikomori and I want to get dumbbells but I doubt I'll be able to afford them.

I've been doing bodyweight exercises for a long time now but I'm still a skeleton, only difference is my muscles are more defined

How can I get bigger nick???
>>
>>29814930
>You will have to start eating at a surplus.
You will have to start eating at a surplus eventually*
>>
>>29814996
>My main goals are to be able to breath right, not feel tired and fatigued all day, and just to not have to worry about having a stroke at such a young age.

How much fat is there to drop?

>but last time i got clean i wasnt seeing results fast enough so i got discouraged and quit.

What did you do exactly? I want to hear it.
>>
What's the best way to lose body fat?
I'm already ok in bodyweight
>>
>>29815039
>cut and lift
>maintenance and lift
>bulk and lift, then cut and lift
Pick one.
>>
>>29815062
Lift heavy weights / low repetitions?
>>
>>29815150
3-5 sets of 8-12 reps for muscle mass/hypertrophy.
>>
>>29815012

Yes. Pushups will go a very long way before he reaches his max, unless he's extremely skinny.
>>
back to your containment board
>>>/fit/
>>
>>29815033
>So I'm a hikikomori and I want to get dumbbells but I doubt I'll be able to afford them.

They are not very expensive and well worth their price. Otherwise, you can buy big water jugs and adjust the water in it. That would be good enough to start with.

>How can I get bigger nick???

More weight, more food.

You also need to be sure you know what to do with your lifting. Read my guide.
>>
>>29815039

Eating less calories than you need by around 600 or 400kcal, depending.
>>
>>29815150
>>29815186

This. I do 5 sets of every exercise in my program. I then go for 5 to 10 reps, depending. I've been sick for a long time and haven't trained much, so now I do 5 to 8 reps where I could do 10 before. I'll gradually go back there. Once you can easily do 10 reps, load up and start at 5 again, or around. It doesn't need to be perfect.
>>
>>29815246

The /fit/ board is known to all. If I meet you here and not there, it's because of a reason, and that reason is why I am here, not there.

>saying containment board without irony

K-k-k-k-kill yourself.
>>
>>29815036
>How much fat is there to drop?
There isn't much fat to drop, that's partly whats really scary. I'm a perfectly healthy weight, and don't look fat at all.
>What did you do exactly? I want to hear it.
I was lifting 3x a week on SL 5x5 and doing cardio 2x a week, but then ended up relapsing.
>>
File: 1464042694244.jpg (115 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1464042694244.jpg
115 KB, 500x667
Fat bro trying to lose weight. What is something that I can eat a whole bunch of and it's so low calories that it's ok? Like say I'm watching a movie or playing vidya, something that would replace a whole movie size bag of Popcorn? Anything I can just let loose on and not feel guilty?
>>
>>29815258
How much do dumbbells cost? I'd need to get them delivered to my house too because there aren't amy sport shops near me and I have no car or anything.
>>
>>29815324
>There isn't much fat to drop, that's partly whats really scary. I'm a perfectly healthy weight, and don't look fat at all.

Looking fat and being overweight don't necessarily have to match. I look like an anorexic piece of shit if you only see my wrists, but I'm actually near overweight.

>I was lifting 3x a week on SL 5x5 and doing cardio 2x a week, but then ended up relapsing.

My advice: drop the cardio for now. Focus on your lifts. Do not be hard on yourself; contrary to popular belief, this won't help. Be cool. Better be a bit lax every now and then than not and then sending the whole thing to fuck itself in hell at once and forever.

I have stopped working out altogether for 2 weeks last year, for holidays, and again recently because of an illness. It's OK. I didn't lose much and I'll get it all back within a week easily. Don't strain yourself. Manage your motivation.

What made you give up specifically?
>>
>>29815326
Maybe celery? supposedly it contains less calories than is required to digest it. Dunno if it's true
>>
>>29815326
>What is something that I can eat a whole bunch of and it's so low calories that it's ok?

Vegetables. Any of them. Get spiced ones if you need more taste. Beans are full of proteins and you'll eat a shitload before reaching some serious calories.

Counting your calories will get you rid of all guilt, because you'll know exactly how much you're eating and if you're allowed to or not. Even chocolate.

I'd fry some peas to eat as popcorn, if I were you. Sounds retarded but may actually be delicious. Fried beans with spices of you liking.
>>
Nick, you posted a beginner's programme some while back ago and said you were gonna revise it, have you? Can you post the new?
>>
>>29815354

It's not insanely expensive. Maybe around a hundred bucks. It varies a lot. But with a few weights for them, you'll last years.
>>
>>29815445
>Nick, you posted a beginner's programme some while back ago and said you were gonna revise it, have you? Can you post the new?

Let me see what I have... I have some bullshit I've updated already.

I'll show you what I personally do for now, considering I only have DB's and a pullup bar mounted on ropes, tied to a high beam:

>military presses 5x5 (going towards 10 reps when possible)
>pushups 5x10 (or less, depending)
>chinups 5x4

I throw in some leg work like calf raises generally (5x10 on one leg) although I'd ideally do squats with weights, or sumo squats.

This would get you far for a beginner. You just need to do squats, with or without weight.

I don't think I'll have a much better version of it because I'm starting to consider that you can't do much better for legs with DB's, and sumo squats are more limited than what you can do with a barbell.
>>
>>29815411
General hopelessness, but i didnt feel like i was making any cardiac gains. My breathing was still strained, i always felt tired or fatigued, life felt very distant, and some other non health related things happened, but mostly i just felt like i was working so hard trying to improve my breathing, my heart, and other aspects of my life and i wasnt seing progress.
>>
>>29815354
20-25lbs adjustable ones are $20-30. Additional 5kg/12lbs plates are $10-15 a piece.
>>
>>29815326
there are some kinds of popcorn that the whole bag is only like 1100 cal. if you eat the whole thing in one day (and nothing else) then it should be fine.
>>
File: 1424163204904-0.png (716 KB, 1288x3200) Image search: [Google]
1424163204904-0.png
716 KB, 1288x3200
>>29815567

Do you happen to have some form of diarrhea and other gut pains?

Your constant fatigue is a problem, but it can have many causes.

As to cardiac gains, make sure you write down your progress. I'd recommend running in the same spot to see how things evolve with your stamina. Notice where you get exhausted, and see yourself go past that spot eventually, not exhausted. You will experience the progress as you go and feel great about it.
>>
Do you like my abs nick?
>>
>>29813738
How much protein do I exactly need?
>>
>>29815638
I've experienced a fair bit of nausea, but I've always linked that with the anxiety.
>>
>>29815697

Yes, I'm jelly. No homo.
>>
>>29815706

Most will advise this formula: half a gram per kilo of your body. Meaning: if you weigh 80 kilos, you should take 40 grams of protein per day. This amount varies, some people advise to take 2 grams per kilo, as in 160 grams of protein, but I think that's a shitload. I'm doing fine with 40 grams. I don't really count my protein all that much unless I eat it from shakes. Just load up on protein: meat, beans, eggs, shakes, dairy products, etc.
>>
>A random noname skeleton that struggles to bench 1 plate giving fitness advice and tripcoding

LMAO
>>
>>29815738

Try not eating gluten for a while, see what happens. Chances are you're gluten intolerant. Some of the symptoms include fatigue, diarrhea and constipation, generally less than solid stool. It can also cause anxiety and depression, oddly enough.

Lay off bread, pasta, and the likes, and see if you get better. Gluten free bread exists, so you can still get that.

Do you sleep well? Do you snore?
>>
>>29815638
>be 190lb fat ass
>can hardly make it to 5 minutes jogging
>now be a 175lb fat ass
>made my way up to 20 minutes non-stop easy

Feels good man.
>>
>>29815809
Thanks, I'll lay off the bread and stuff for a while and try to take it easy on the exercise in the mean time. I sleep pretty well usually, sometimes neighbors keep me up but that's about it.
>>
>>29815754
Can I see your body nick

For research purposes of course
>>
>>29815785

I certainly hope we don't already know each other, friendo.

My advice is good, and I did not make it up. It's the result of what I have learned for myself.

My own results strongly suggest I'm doing the right thing, not because I'm a mountain of flesh, but because I went from skinnyfat weakling to much, much better.

If you have anything to add to my guide or my advice here in general, do that. If you can't do that, then you disavow yourself.
>>
File: 1441150368681.png (211 KB, 367x427) Image search: [Google]
1441150368681.png
211 KB, 367x427
290. Lost 10 lbs and now i'm down to 280 and stopped counting calories. I want to count because in the long term it'll help me lower how much I eat and won't just require me to work out a shit ton.

Anyways... I'm going back at it. Any cheap healthy foods? I'm poor as fuck and want to be able to sustain myself healthily and by only stocking that, I require myself to eat that way.

My diet lately has been peanut butter sandwiches and whatever else I end up picking up. Macaroni and ramen too, cause it's cheap and filling.
>>
How to gain some motivation to try and keep pushing working out?
How to stop staring blindly to the idea that after months there's still very little visible improvement, within a few weeks of not doing any working out you'll lose the grand majority of gains, and how to go at it if the working out in and on itself is not interesting enough to you and you're only in it for the potential gains/improvements?

I'm genuinely curious, interested to hear other people's perspectives, drives, and reasoning that gives them that motivation and self-discipline. Things like experience on how they started the initial push towards routine/motivation are much appreciated as well.

I'm 143lbs 5'10" with 7%BF, and I'm all in all content with it (as I'm not interested in becoming a bodyuilder or anything, my body type as base is fine by me), but some extra muscle gain and strength would be nice.
>>
File: rare pepe.jpg (103 KB, 511x428) Image search: [Google]
rare pepe.jpg
103 KB, 511x428
>>29815820

Excellent!

>>29815860

Let me see... I have an old pic and a newer one. Give me a sec.

Here is the old pic. Results were starting to show at the time.
>>
>>29815872
>Any cheap healthy foods? I'm poor as fuck and want to be able to sustain myself healthily and by only stocking that, I require myself to eat that way.

The basics are all cheap. Eggs, fruit, vegetables. Canned food can help too.

Peanut butter is one of the most insanely calorific food I know.
>>
>>29815872
>Any cheap healthy foods?
For protein: chicken breast, beans, various canned fish, lentil, regular oats etc.
>>
>>29815892
You're a big guy

I have good abs for sure but I'm actually a skinnyfag. Feels weird desu
>>
>>29815888
>How to stop staring blindly to the idea that after months there's still very little visible improvement,

Realising that you're probably doing it wrong.

> within a few weeks of not doing any working out you'll lose the grand majority of gains

Untrue. You'd have to not do anything for over 2 weeks, at a calorific deficit, and maintain not doing shit for months to lose it all. And even then, you can get it all back very quickly by just working out again. People who worked out for years stopped entirely, picked it up again ten years later, and got it all back within a few months.

>and how to go at it if the working out in and on itself is not interesting enough to you and you're only in it for the potential gains/improvements?

Put some music on and focus on what you're doing to ensure you do it well. It should be somewhat challenging enough that you don't get bored.

The extended guide has bits on motivation:

http://pastebin.com/zrpicavw
>>
File: 1428300340154.gif (248 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
1428300340154.gif
248 KB, 512x512
>>29815904
When I was in junior high I dieted a little and cut out peanut butter. Saw results. Maybe I should do the same.

Eggs I can do, but 'fruits and vegetables' is too vague, I don't know how to properly feed myself on that without blowing all my money on fruit and veggies I don't know how to prepare.
>>29815922
I had success with chicken breast, i'll have to do that again. What can I do with oats? Sounds good. Also I need to git into beans bad
>>
File: tztrheh.jpg (92 KB, 537x656) Image search: [Google]
tztrheh.jpg
92 KB, 537x656
Latest pic. It's 2 months old, I think. It may not look impressive, but I started from literally no muscle. I wasn't able to do a single pushup or a single chinup not too long ago. Progress is happening.
>>
>>29816015

That was my post, forgot trips.
>>
>>29813738
might be a though one,I cut about 95 pounds by doing bodyweight exercise and eating no more than 1500cals a day. I'm starting to look good and about 10 pounds from my ideal but those 10 pounds refuse to go away.
>I keep up my training
>I cheated my diet once in the past 4 weeks
>no change at all for 5 weeks now
>wat do?

Currently 6' 185 pounds, my goal would be 175 because I'd be shredded as fuck.
>>
I've switched from soda to "sparkling flavored water", is that going to help me lose weight, or at least be less erosive on my teeth?
>>
>>29815966
>When I was in junior high I dieted a little and cut out peanut butter. Saw results. Maybe I should do the same.

In case you didn't know: a jar of peanut butter is worth over two fat pizzas. It's some insane amount of calories. Seeds generally have crazy ass calories. Birds know where it's at. Beware of seeds, good fat, but shitloads of calories.
>>
>>29816015
>>29815892
WOW!!! amazing!!! LiteralLLy LookIng The sAMe!! congratz!
>>
>>29816047

Lower to 1200.

Personally, I don't lose jack if I eat over 1200.
>>
Why do I have to put on muscle and fat at the same time?

I want to be a shredded Chad but I feel like I'm cucked by genetics, because I get fat very easily.
>>
>>29816073

That wasn't an after/before set... I have significantly grown in strength since then, though.
>>
>>29815414
Celery and cucumbers have like no calories pretty much, 8 for a whole cucumber and 6 for a celery stalk, you could probably eat that all day 24/7 for the rest of your life and never get fat.

Just eat pickles forever nigga.
>>
>>29816093
>Why do I have to put on muscle and fat at the same time?

You don't. Bulking is only done to guarantee that your body has all it needs. You can see that it has all it needs by noticing a surplus, i.e. fat. If you have fat on you already, you don't need to bulk. Don't bulk unless you are skinny and need more mass. You can easily get muscle mass without getting fat.

Everyone gets fat easily if they eat enough. You aren't cucked by genetics, just by your mindset.

Do this: ensure you eat enough protein. You'll grow muscles without getting fat. I'd still advise some surplus, but don't overdo it, and if you notice fat gains, cut down on the cals and no problemo.
>>
Currently in the process of losing 180lbs, I have 80lbs left. The few friends I have offer no support and I've been doing it alone the entire time. I think I'm as lonely as I've ever been in my life. How the fuck do you deal with that?
>>
File: 1467594430481.png (26 KB, 190x194) Image search: [Google]
1467594430481.png
26 KB, 190x194
>>29816015
>giving people fitness advice
>with this body

You'd be laughed right out of /fit/ if you tried this shit there.
>>
>>29816158

You don't need anyone to reach your goals. That said, you can report to me on your progress:

[email protected]
>>
>>29816078
damn that's starvation level, but I'll try
>>
>>29816060
How many calories should I be eating if i'm 280 5'10''ish and want to lose?
>>
>>29816255
>You'd be laughed right out of /fit/ if you tried this shit there.

I wouldn't, because /fit/ knows how things work and they realise that what counts is where you start and where you are now with regards to your beginnings. If I had been a whale a few years ago, and got this body now, /fit/ would celebrate me. Don't forget that I was on /fit/ before I decided to visit you guys here.

Moreover, /fit/ is populated with fatasses who want to improve, and you can bet your ass all of them would love to have my body (no homo but also homo, surely).

I know you're trying to be negative and make me feel bad for my body, but it's pointless. I am proud of what I have accomplished although I am aware it's not much to convince anyone with. I'm working on it. The plus of this is that when I can finally come around with no-dyel pics, you'll know I made it because you knew me before.
>>
>>29816302

Provided you're male and around 25, you need about 2200kcal a day. So, less than that and you'd lose weight. Go for 1800kcal, see what happens. If nothing happens, go down to 1600kcal. See what happens.
>>
>>29816382
I thought it was 2200 for me to be losing, and 2700 to maintain. Shit, guess i'll cut more out then.
>>
>>29816340
It's fine that you made progress, but you're still too much of a dyel to think you can give out advice.

Dial back your ego.
>>
What about carbs? Should I be watchful of Carbs?
>>
>>29815953
>Realising that you're probably doing it wrong.
The information is what I gathered from other fitness-related sites (and /fit/). I'm not talking strength gains, but (lean) muscle mass gains.
>Untrue. You'd have to not do anything for over 2 weeks, at a calorific deficit, and maintain not doing shit for months to lose it all.
To my understanding as a newly stared person the gains will be gone quite rapidly and getting it back is relatively slow. Perhaps not the grand majority of gains over a few weeks of doing nothing, but definitely a significant amount.
>People who worked out for years stopped entirely, picked it up again ten years later, and got it all back within a few months.
That's the whole "muscle memory" thing and makes sense, but I'm more concerned about the losses as a newbie.

Thanks though, I'll look into it some time, do the occasional bodyweight workout as to not be completely sedentary (besides physical labour part-time job). Gains will likely be almost non-existent, but at least the losses probably will as well.
>>
>>29816395
>I thought it was 2200 for me to be losing, and 2700 to maintain. Shit, guess i'll cut more out then.

Try. If it doesn't work, lower.
>>
>>29816428

No. You watch your calories and that's enough. Carbs are calorific, so getting rid of some may help, but it's not necessary.

>>29816516
>The information is what I gathered from other fitness-related sites (and /fit/). I'm not talking strength gains, but (lean) muscle mass gains.

Some of the info is wrong. Strength and mass go together once you're past harmonising your central nervous system. After a point, you must gain (muscle) mass to gain strength. It goes together.

>To my understanding as a newly stared person the gains will be gone quite rapidly and getting it back is relatively slow. Perhaps not the grand majority of gains over a few weeks of doing nothing, but definitely a significant amount.

Muscle memory is a real thing. You get back very quickly what you once lost. Don't worry about it.

> but I'm more concerned about the losses as a newbie.

Don't. I have literally stopped doing shit for over 2 weeks and had no losses. This stuff doesn't happen suddenly. It's all a long run thing. Don't worry about it. If you don't stop for 3 months, you won't lose anything. Just keep working out regularly.

read my guide, it's helpful.
>>
give me a diet to follow to lose weight ASAP
>>
File: image.jpg (114 KB, 480x614) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
114 KB, 480x614
I'm a kissless virgin.

Getting fit doesn't make it easy since people don't see you naked all the time.

Still better than beimg fat tho
>>
Where can I get an exact routine to follow? I can't "just try different things and see what works" I need to be lead by the nose.
>>
>>29816623

Count your calories.

Find out your daily need.

Eat less than that.
>>
File: 193lbs.png (445 KB, 435x488) Image search: [Google]
193lbs.png
445 KB, 435x488
>>29816015
Git gud

>>29816685
Look up Starting Strength or Strong Lifts.
>>
>>29816670
You're also not brolic enough for it to be visible through your shirt. Think a little man. Get my pec definition. Do pyramid sets of flat bench, incline bench, and cable crosses and eat your body weight in grams of protein that day. Eat whatever you want
>>
>>29816670

Females have noticed my gains despite being clothed. It always shows eventually.

>>29816733
>Git gud

That is what I am doing. As you know, if this picture is you, these things don't happen overnight.

What was your program?
>>
>>29816727
>Count your calories.

never understood what this means

count them up until how many?

do i stop eating when i hit a certain number?

how do i find out my daily need?
>>
>>29816761
>What was your program?

It was Texas Method while I was bulking but since my cut I'm doing push/pull/legs twice a week.
>>
>>29816817

Your body burns a certain amount of calories per day, it's fuel. It may be 2000, for example. If so, you eat 1500, and your body takes the 500 left from your fat. Fat is reserve energy for your body.

Calculate your basal rate here:

>>
>>29816733
>that extremely flattering lighting
do you even fucking lift m8, eat more
>>
>>29816878

Sounds very close to SS. Did you start with Texas?

I'm considering buying a barbell and a rack. Dumbbells are more limited in my impression.
>>
File: Snapchat-7593427217399228156.jpg (809 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-7593427217399228156.jpg
809 KB, 1440x2560
Alright Nick, help me out here
I've been doing WiiFit for awhile(6mo), but I'm thinking I should make the switch to another program soon, one where I can make more progress.
Pic related is me.
>>
>>29817087

I didn't know WiiFit had a barbell program.

What's that scar near your armpit?

But yeah, go do some SS with a barbell. Always good.
>>
>>29813738

I'm getting fit by using dumbbells and a pull up bar in my bedroom. Getting closer to ottermode every week.
>>
>>29817123

That's what I do, but I have failed my cut for months now.
>>
File: october2015.png (259 KB, 342x528) Image search: [Google]
october2015.png
259 KB, 342x528
>>29816991
>implying physique isn't 90% lighting

>>29817012
Nah, I fucked around for a long time with bro splits, and I'd recommend any beginner don't make the same mistake and pick up a basic 5x5 barbell program instead. TM was great though, built up to a 220lbs over-head press on it.

Pic related was near the peak of my bulk.
>>
>>29816970
how many calories are in fruits and stuff

i could probably google it actually
>>
>>29817174

Here you go bro. http://www.weightlossforall.com/calories-fruit.htm
>>
>>29817165

I wasted over a year myself. I was doing a DB circuit piece of shit I'm still upset over. I did gain, but very slowly and very little. Each session took me 3 hours to complete and it was more cardio than lifting. It was ass. It's one of the reasons why I wrote a guide and advise people. I'm not an expert, but I know enough to save people entire years of wasted efforts.

You should advise others too. Because of your results, they will believe what you say more than me.
>>
>>29817174
>how many calories are in fruits and stuff
>i could probably google it actually

Google actually has a quick response to you googling calories. Very useful.

I think an apple has around 40kcal or something. Fruit generally don't have much, but they still have some.
>>
>>29813738
Sup OP, what are some exercise I can show my gf. She wants to get fit, but all is us how to get big and strong.
>>
File: a cute deadlifting.webm (1 MB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
a cute deadlifting.webm
1 MB, 720x720
>>29817231

Is she fat?

Either way, she could do SS and wouldn't get big and strong, just strong and fit. Females don't get big easily at all.

What's her goal?

Mostly, the exercises will be the same as for a man, really.
>>
File: justfuckmyshitup.jpg (76 KB, 640x812) Image search: [Google]
justfuckmyshitup.jpg
76 KB, 640x812
What should I focus on? I just started recently and my body is ugly as fuck right now but I've been working out every day trying to get good. My major gripes are One: my ribs show Two: I don't have a six pack or visible abs yet despite low body fat.

Here's a body pic. I mostly eat fruits, vegetables, oatmeal/wheat bread, and lean meats.
>>
>>29815872
rice, beans, etc. are all cheap. peanut butter is a no, waaay too much fat. pasta is okay once in a while, ramen is okay but the sodium content is off the charts.
>>
>>29817292
Na, she's def high test. She just wants to tone and sculp her body. She sees me lifting hard and she feels like she should put the same effort in.
>>
>>29817314
low T manlet
>>
>>29817314

What's your routine?

oringinsgainiengoingieohngowgw
>>
>>29817370

>tone
>sculpt

Sounds like she's too fat a bit. Caloric deficit. I'd still advise doing some weightlifting to get some nice defined muscles. Especially the ass.
>>
File: stickytrex.gif (21 KB, 451x75) Image search: [Google]
stickytrex.gif
21 KB, 451x75
>>29817197
>You should advise others too

Literally the only advice anyone in this thread needs is to just read the fucking sticky.
>>
>>29817420
Will do. I'm showing her how to do squarts today
>>
>>29817397
I mainly do bodyweight exercises right now because I don't have any equipment other than a pull up bar and a couple dumbells.
I do 50 pushups, 50 air squats, 20 pullups every day. I'll bike or go for a run sometimes.

I just got out of high school and I took a weight training class where we did 5x5 of the basic lifts (deadlift/power clean/bench/back squat) every day but I won't be able to afford a gym membership until I go off to college in 2 months.

>>29817391
lel
>>
File: 1459441859523.jpg (379 KB, 800x3000) Image search: [Google]
1459441859523.jpg
379 KB, 800x3000
>>29817489
>Literally the only advice anyone in this thread needs is to just read the fucking sticky.

No, the sticky is lacking in many things and doesn't answer all questions. Actual noobs won't learn how to lift from it, for instance.

My guide does a better job of introducing people to fitness than the sticky.

I know you're just memeing it out in the hopes that I will sodomise you because, let's face it, you're from /fit/.
>>
Okay OP seems to be still around so I'll ask up
Currently I only do pushups and abs.
I've been increasing the number as I feel I can, right now I do
>50 pushups
>36 abs
>32 pushups
That's what I did last night.
Is it enough with this, while increasing the numbers, for making some gains?
I am also 25 and I just started less than a month ago.
I was also thinking that, since there is some emphasis on reps, I may, instead of doing a lot of pushups then pushups again after the abs, I can do, say, 3 reps of 30 pushups and 2 reps of 20 abs and go on from there. Should I?
>>
>>29813738
Yo, Nick. What do you think of skipping rope as a way to build endurance? I want to run but obviously I can't do that due to being a robot. Is it a good substitute?
>>
>>29817522
if you want abs do ab exercises m8

when the fitness guru people say "crunches are a myth/situps are myth etc." they mean that it won't help you lose belly fat. but it DOES build ab/core muscles which is what you want.
>>
>>29817118
That's a stretch mark
And barbells? What are those? I restrict myself to kettlebells only.

Anyways, I heard that SS will make me to muscly :/
Idk I just wanna get toned for summer
>>
>>29813738
Any bodyweight or other exercises I can do at home?
>>
>>29817619
>Is it enough with this, while increasing the numbers, for making some gains?

No, past 20, you're doing cardio, not strength.

You should stick to 5 to 10 reps, meaning, you can't do more reps than that. If you can do 20 reps of anything, you're not training strength anymore, because the weight is too light.

Pushups need to become bench presses. Same exercises, but you need more weight, so much more that you can only do 5 to 8 reps, not more. You must work close to your max. The ideal being doing as many reps as you can but saving the final one: you should be able to do one more rep, without actually doing it, to be sure.

Drop abs. You need a barbell and SS, or Texas Method. Trust me. You'll make much, much faster progress. You can't progress much with what you do now.
>>
>>29817628
>Yo, Nick. What do you think of skipping rope as a way to build endurance?

I think it's the shit. Very good exercise.

Yes, it's a good substitute. For cardio, ANYTHING you do that burns calories is good. Swimming is the most complete, but if you care mostly about getting stamina and burning fat, anything goes. Your heart will always benefit. Skipping ropes is nicer on the knees, I suspect.

Know what, I'm gonna get myself some skipping fucking ropes too. No idea why I never thought of this before. I don't run because my knees need more flexibility (short hamstrings) and they hurt if I run, but I can skip ropes.

Jumping jacks are good too. Very close.

Thanks for the idea, anon.
>>
>>29817660
>if you want abs do ab exercises m8

No. You'll mostly need to burn bodyfat to reveal whatever abs you may have, but situps aren't the best exercise to get serious abs.

Lift some shit.
>>
File: 1453659191745.jpg (70 KB, 587x356) Image search: [Google]
1453659191745.jpg
70 KB, 587x356
>>29817665
>And barbells? What are those? I restrict myself to kettlebells only.

Friend, you need a barbell. It's the long bar.

There is no chance that you'll suddenly get too muscly for your own liking. This shit takes forever.
>>
sIEG hEIL! :DDDDDDDDDDDDDD .i. ;(
>>
Really good thread,appreciate it anon.
>>
>>29813738
How the fuck can i enjoy foods that i don't like? I Weight about 202 lbs, 92 kilos and im 178 cm tall, 5'10

I had a time where i was fasting 2 years ago, no food, just water, plane water.

I lost about 10 kilos in just 8 fucking days.

But a few weeks after that i got lost in my old eating patterns, gaining week again.

Is there a tip in how to strenghten my mind?

Also a good and easy work out? I can't go out.

Maybe a bycicle thingy for inside?

Has to be easy, i don't wan't to learn 200 different fucking things just to loose fat, i don't need muscle, i just wan't to loose that god damn fat.
>>
>>29817791
What exercises are best for ab gainz?
>>
>>29817933
>Weight again

god damn, maybe i should cut alcohol too and replace it with some kind of training
>>
>>29817933
>How the fuck can i enjoy foods that i don't like?

Oh, it's very easy: you fucking starve for a while.
>>
File: progress.jpg (227 KB, 1520x600) Image search: [Google]
progress.jpg
227 KB, 1520x600
>>29813738
Should I keep cutting or should I eat more? I've started going to the gym 2months ago and dieting in January

Also, BF% estimate?
>>
If I can't afford a gym what should I do when I'm a 100% out of shape lanklet?

Running and even doing bodyweight exercises for a bit is exhausting in a bad way and it's put me off of working out altogether.
>>
>>29817933
>Is there a tip in how to strenghten my mind?

Yes: you don't set up crazy goals for yourselves and you'll reach them more easily. Don't do extreme fasts. Just gradually lose the weight.

Any cardio will do to lose fat, provided you eat accordingly.

Read the guide, it answers all.
>>
>>29817943
>What exercises are best for ab gainz?

There's a section on that in my guide, it tells you not to be retarded. Don't focus on just getting abs, that's dumb. Working out is for your entire body, or else it'll be retarded.

Doing barbell, with SS, is best for serious abs.
>>
>>29817973

This is awesome. I'd keep on cutting because it seems you still have some fat, though it's not mandatory. You can keep that reserve to fuel your muscle gains.

I don't estimate BF, sorry. I have no idea. But you're doing great.
>>
>>29817978

Answers are in the guide, please read it.
>>
>>29818039
Thanks Nick.
>>
>>29817943

So You Want Abs?

You shouldn't attempt to work out just one particular area of your body, especially not for esthetic reasons alone. Your body functions as a whole and to strengthen any one part of it more than the rest would only lead to muscular imbalances. You'd also end up looking goofy naked, thus cancelling the very thing you were looking for originally. Keep this in mind: what works best, what is most functional, also happens to look best. In other words, don't seek to have nice abs alone, seek to have a nice body altogether, and seek to achieve this by getting stronger and losing fat.

If you're already somewhat in shape but struggle to get visible abs, what you need isn't necessarily more work out for these abs, but simply burn the layer of fat on them. And no, you cannot target the fat you want to lose: your body will tap into your fat in a general manner and you will only lose fat on your abs as you lose fat everywhere else. If you're the sort that stores fat in the belly more than everywhere else, then this will be the last place to burn the fat completely. Keep on that caloric deficit and you will get there eventually.

cont
>>
>>29818056

Another word for those of you who never worked out before and are considering doing so just to look good. There is so much more to it than you know, and you should consider this before all else. If you go to it only thinking of achieving some quick esthetic result so you can lift your shirt at a party and impress the ladies, you will not only fail spectacularly, but you will also lose motivation very fast. If you somehow succeeded, you'd become a living joke as imbalanced physiques simply don't look good. They look funny. Do you want to look funny? No, of course not, if you're interested in improving your looks. So I repeat: anything you may want to achieve in terms of esthetics will result from actually getting healthier, stronger, etc. Immediately drop any dreams of doing 40 situps a day for 2 months and obtaining the desired abs. That's not how it works.

Suppose you're beyond the esthetic concern and intend to work out fully - meaning your whole body - but still would like to ensure abs at some point. Consider this: to grow, muscles need to understand that more is requested of them than they usually offer. You achieve this by lifting heavier and heavier. Now, you can't exactly lift with your abs. While you may reasonably load up before you do your situps, I'm not sure that this is the best way to get there. A barbell program with compound movements that require most of your muscles to act (such as the deadlift and squat) will also work your abs, and more efficiently, since you are made to lift heavy weights (relatively to your own strength) and that this is more than what you could do with situps. So yeah, if you are to get abs, that should be part of a larger goal: to get strong and fit overall.
rgwerbgweiubgwebgewgwgw
>>
>>29818024
Thanks. It sucks that I can't lose more fat because of becoming complacient and trying to keep the few friends I have. We've literally never eaten anything but pizza and beer when we get together for anything
>>
>>29818091

I handle pizzas with friends by literally eating nothing else that day. It's feasible. Annoying, but feasible.

But don't worry, you got to a great point. You only need to keep up with your program and you'll be a god soon enough.

I must depart now, it's past 1 am here.

Take care, everyone!

e-mail address just in case:

[email protected]
>>
>>29817818
Oh Nick. You know I'm joking.
Thread replies: 224
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.