[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>not spending all your NEET time writing short science fiction
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 8
>not spending all your NEET time writing short science fiction

Why not robots? Why do so little robots show interest in writing?
>>
I suck at it
>>
>>29811156
Keep practicing. Everyone is shit at first. I'm still shit and I've written a lot.
>>
The majority lack any real creativity hence their autistic fixations on things like shit animu which is repetitive, uninspired, and full of recycled tropes. They also would rather invest their time and energy on unproductive, no-effort hobbies like gaming or shitposting.
>>
>Smoke weed
>Write book
>Profit?
>>
>>29811132
Because im a hack who ends up just rehashing old and tired tropes, settings, etc.

Maybe it stems from my meds. I was a lot more creative before I started taking lexapro. It sucks but what can ya do.
>>
>>29811132
I'm far too depressed to do anything but lie in bed and shitpost.
>>
>>29811132
>short science fiction

Give word count and income potential

I'm this close to writing cheap erotica
>>
>>29811274
I've tried and that shit was so fucking confusing and full of typos the next morning I read it.
>>
>>29811240
>no-effort hobbies
>shitposting
NO
>>
>>29811132
Because everybody criticizes everything. Write a great science fiction, and wait to see how much butt kissing it requires to get it seen whether in publication of any other form.
You can post it online, and no one will care but to criticize it.
Everyone is a cynic, and can't wait to insult everything no matter how well thought out a creation it is.
>>
Are there any good websites that I can post it on and potentially get money/get spotted on there and gain money via that? I used to write a little bit and I wouldn't mind it as a hobby.
>>
>>29811346
>>29811386
Short fiction could be between 2,000 to 6,000 words. Publications like new authors to write 2,000 word stories.

http://www.asimovs.com/contact-us/writers-guidelines/

http://pulptastic.com/write-for-pulptastic/

http://www.newpulpfiction.com/p/publishers.html

https://secure.freebooksy.com/promote-your-science-fiction-novel-on-bargain-booksy/

Income potential can be decent if you self publish and create e-books. No one will buy your stuff unless you promote it through other social media or cheap advertising.
>>
File: 1460329813889.png (9 KB, 246x205) Image search: [Google]
1460329813889.png
9 KB, 246x205
>>29811240
>no-effort hobbies like gaming or shitposting

Playing Factorio is more work than my fucking office gig

So is proper shitposting, you youngsters think you can just walk in and start spamming
>>
>>29811359
>>29811560
Upon further reflection, I realize I'm wrong about shitposting. It IS an underappreciated artform and good shitposting requires a lot of creativity.
>>
File: 1464010500597.jpg (114 KB, 776x600) Image search: [Google]
1464010500597.jpg
114 KB, 776x600
You really expect an entire board that cant even type out coherent sentences and greentexts everything to have the patience to write out a story? Also some of the best science fiction is based on real science and theories that it then pushes to the extreme. You cant write good science fiction based all off "bro science" and not have it chewed apart in instances by the very nerds you wrote it for.
>>
>>29811542
I'll probably look into this in a while, but 2,000 words seems to short for me.

Anyway thanks anon.
>>
>>29811705
Perhaps they could write science fantasy then. Star Wars style adventure romps. Although I truly think a robot could spin a story about how chads and stacys are really alien invaders. Or how they feel disconnected from society with a SciFi spin.
>>
>>29811705
When people say science-fiction they mean science-fantasy, aka Star Wars etc

Hard science-fiction is a tiny and demanding market
>>
Because im not actually as intelligent and creative as i would like to believe
>>
>>29811815
All they have to do is go for the cyberpunk genre. That is pretty much "disconnected from society" the genre
>>
See, I've got ideas, I just don't have enough social experience to write any good dialogue. As a result, all my stories are either really forced when conversations happen, or they just don't. I think I have good ideas, like:

-Society where virtual reality is taken to extreme.
- The "Perfect" world was achieved, no one needs to work or do anything, robots handle it.
- Environment is actually shit, but the middle class and up just live in pristine, cleaned areas.
- Lower economic people often live in squalor, stuck in their virtual reality as they don't want to deal with real life.
- Only criminals and a select few military still roam earth, part of punishment or duty.
- They maintain the systems, and fix problems. Criminals are often hackers and such, who have great computer skill, but would destroy the system if given a chance.
- These people, few hundreds in the billions living inactivate state, only have each-other.
- They learn to agree and even see eye to eye, despite their backgrounds.
- Anger boils as they continue to care for people like humans are babies.
- From there, they destroy the machines.
- Freak accident, most people lose all their memory.
- Ends with the military and criminals leading the world, trying to get off the path of virtual reality.

But I could never write a full story on that.
>>
>>29811902
Very interesting idea but i would reccomend having an idea about a world where everyone's consciousness is stored in a computer while every human is actually dead.
>>
File: 1466256267743.png (536 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
1466256267743.png
536 KB, 1080x1920
>tfw you will never whip up a script like rod serling
>>
>>29811132
i have 0 creativity
original comment (see?)
>>
>>29811902
This outline structure may help.

Act I:
1. Opening conflict.
2. Protagonist is shown in daily life, before transformation
3. Opportunity for change.
4. Resistance to the opportunity.
5. Point of No Return Opportunity Accepted.

Act II:
6. Entering the New Situation.
7. Meeting Friends, Enemies or Romance.
8. Problem Brings Them Together.
9. Problem Drives Them Apart.
10. Crisis Hits

Act III:
11. Terrible Secret Revealed or Final Attack Starts
12. All Seems Lost
13. Self-Sacrifice or Symbolic Death
14. Final Showdown
15. Conclusion
>>
>>29812123
This looks very cliche and kinda unoriginal in my opinion.
>>
File: 1464758945860.jpg (201 KB, 857x1134) Image search: [Google]
1464758945860.jpg
201 KB, 857x1134
>>29811132
Because SF sucks? I don't give a shit about spaceships and lazors. I write about human struggles.
>>
>>29812217
Like what?
oc
>>
>>29811132
I live with the mentality that anything that I can think of has already been done and my lack of real life experiences would make that even worse.
>>
>>29812217
>sci-fi is spaceships and lazors
>"human struggles" is its own genre

We have a real expert here anons. Can't wait for the new John Green novella
>>
>>29811132
For the same reason most people here aren't ripped from using their free time at the gym. In reality, NEET life is primarily napping, masturbating, eating unhealthy foods and getting drunk.
>>
What genre IS twilight zone anyway? its almost like surreal sci-fi mixed with some fantasy
>>
File: 1467764040243.jpg (379 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1467764040243.jpg
379 KB, 800x600
I write but it's shit writing that is just for my own escapism. Even if I was good, I'd be too afraid of promoting myself and dealing with other people.
>>
>>29811344
This is what 99.9% of NEETs actually do with their time.
>>
Every time i write something i immediately bin it as pseudo-intellectual, self-indulgent trash. I accept that I do not have it in me.
>>
Because I get frustrated whenever I try to write anything. I can never find the right words. It's why half the time I try and post here I give up half way through typing. Writing an entire story would be impossible
>>
>>29811132

I write poetry. Though, I haven't done it as much recently.
>>
>>29811822
>is based on real science and theories that it then pushes to the extreme
If you mean by mass appeal its basically just imagination with science as the powers instead of fucking wizards.
Like Heinlein is basically a chad, all of his books are about chads fucking bitches or that one where the old rich guy becomes a bitch and the science fiction revolves mostly around helping his characters kill people, set up governments to kill people, fuck bitches, etc.
>>
>>29812171
Of course it is. However absolutely everything is structured this way.
>>
>>29812244
Well a story I'm working on right now has a protagonist who is a narcissist and struggles to fit in a society where everyone looks down on him, to the point of losing moral values and questioning what it means to be human.

>>29812293
Didn't say "human struggles" is a genre, you faggot. SF centers around machinery and technology and science, and this setting simply doesn't interest me, even if it has some human element to it (Hitchhiker's Guide is an exception).

>>29812321
I think the genre is Weird Fiction or Supernatural Fiction. It's different from Fantasy in that it usually has only one "magical" element, which usually isn't even given explanation.
>>
>>29812340
Tfw I'm not even NEET, got signed off work for three weeks. Really hope I get stable before 2nd year of college starts.
>>
>>29812171
Yeah dude thats the point.
Cliches are actually rather advanced. As a amateur you're thinking 'well I want to do it BETTER' which is why you're not a writer.
First you have to 'meet' the cliches. Once you are able to write a generic story you've seen a billion times then you can tweak shit to satisfy your own creativity but until then cliches are golden because THEY WORK.
Most popular works use cliches because people want to understand where the story is going vaguely so they get that feeling of prescience.
This is why hollywood movies sell tons and have those dumb scripts.
You don't get to be creative until you understand the basics of the culture of your language.
>>
>>29812382
>>29812357
Here's an advice friends. When you're writing a story, imagine you're just greentexting an experience on 4chan. Only without the greentext. It flows much easier because you're used to it. You can make changes later.
>>
I write more fantasty. I do have a science short story I'm writing. The main character is put through a huge trial ala OJ and George Zimmerman for a crime he may or may not have committed. It's more about reputation and how it affects people's perception of you. The science fictiony stuff revolves around space travel, robots and teleportation.
>>
Here is a guide for any one writing. I have a lot of these. Let me know if you want to see more.
>>
>>29812432

Twilight Zone is almost like "uncanny". Not even totally surreal. Its weird, but close enough to reality to feel unsettling, as if something is ever so slightly off. I think it's great
>>
>>29812655
I fucking hate this formula.
>>
File: storyality-screenplay-syntagms.png (271 KB, 878x751) Image search: [Google]
storyality-screenplay-syntagms.png
271 KB, 878x751
>>29812696
How about one of these?

Are they more your speed?
>>
>>29812706
I'm just kind of sick on stories that rely on "momentum" and "climax". It's boring.
>>
>>29812696
Nearly everything is formulaic. It's how it sells. If you're only writing for yourself, that's fine, but if you want to have an audience, readers, or make money, you'll most likely start by following structures. I used the word start on purpose. Eventually you can do whatever you want when you have a fan base, following, or money.
>>
>>29812760
Nah, I've read books that didn't follow those formulas, and they were pretty good.
>>
The best books don't follow those retarded formulas.
>>
>>29812847
Name some pls
>>
>>29812793
You may have not consciously picked up on the structure, but it's probably there. Also are these books that sell a ton or that people read to feel smug for understanding?

And they are always exceptions. As I said, they're usually after a writer becomes comfortable with story writing. If you sit around dawdling instead of practicing, your story will never even happen.
>>
>>29812879
Kafka's Metamorphosis
Ratman's Notebooks by Stephen Gilbert
The Sorrows of Young Werther by van Goethe
>>
I wrote a short story earlier this year. I thought about posting it online, and then creating a web site where I'd post other short stories in the same universe weekly. Nothing high quality, wouldn't even bother monetizing it. But I can't make myself do it. My first story I just wrote randomly without planning it. Once I decided on it, and set a plan in motion, I lost all desire.
>>
>>29811132
>lazy
>writing

nah
i can't for the life of me force myself to do anything
you need dedication to write instead of partaking in the various media at your disposal that are more fun
>>
>>29812944
Out of those I have only read the Metamorphosis. It definitely follows a structure.
>>
>>29812960
You're a writer who writes when inspiration hits them. Plenty of them out there. Just try to write 15 minutes everyday to gain a regiment.
>>
>>29812990
The author has A structure, but it doesn't follow one of these awful diagrams posted.
>>
>>29812960
If you do continue on with that plan, try to have a few stories lined up instead of writing them weekly. Also give yourself a word count deadline every day. Make it small, something conquerable. 500 words a day is very doable.
>>
>>29812847
>>29813026
yeah this
if you think the best authors are all following the same retardrf "hero does x at y time" principle you need to read those ideas out of you
>>
>>29813026
You're a dip shit.
>>29812655
Key Character Motive Situation: Gregor wakes up as the bug.
Turning Point: His family finds out he has changed.
Conflict/Obstacles/Drama:
Gregor attempts to live with his changes. His family deals with the changes as well.
Turning Point 2: The burden of taking care of Gregor and Gregor being spotted by more people.
Outcome resolution: Gregor becomes infected by the apple and dies.
>>
>>29811225
Stop trying to trick us to get good at something before we remember that we have poor genetics and therefore shouldn't even try.
>>
>>29811351
Fix the typos and keep the content.
>>
>>29813114
Soooo...

Beginning, events, events, ending?

you wowed me
>>
>>29813144
That's the fucking formula here.>>29812655
You're a fucking idiot mate.
>>
>>29812060
His scripts wouln't be passable for today's television.
>>
>>29813172
t. lit major
>>
>>29811706
>probably in a while to
>>
>>29811902
Something I've learned: Good dialogue is easy to learn. Almost effortless, really.

It's good characters that are the bitch to create.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.