[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is existential anxiety a sign of immaturity or have the people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: 1448757660682.jpg (128 KB, 964x580) Image search: [Google]
1448757660682.jpg
128 KB, 964x580
Is existential anxiety a sign of immaturity or have the people calling it so never really experienced it themselves?
>>
>>29802374
I think it becomes less frequently with fulfillment or apathy, one of these typically increase with age.
>>
>>29802374
>you will never be a kid who hops around everywhere and goes on innocent adventures eve again
>>
I have become less 'existentially anxious' only because of my compromised position in life which has given me (unwanted) travel, 'adventure' obligations, etc. Nothing has resolved it or made it absolute, it just distracts you. Age makes you more focused on the minutiae of your body so as to distract you. It has nothing to do with immaturity unless you are referring to socially normative behaviors which I in particular do not 'value' in that sense.
>>
You just learn to accept it as you get older. You don't matter, nothing you do matters, nothing really matters. Enjoy what you can while you're alive and make life better for the people you care about.
>>
I think you just learn to live with the uncertainty.
>>
People who brush it off are either just dumb or inebriated sensualists (in other words, they're just dumb)
>>
I've been a loser my whole life and am now having an existential crisis since the start of the year. I'm killing myself soon. What's the point of living when you're a loser and when nothing matters anyway? Being a loser isn't fun.
>>
depends on the type of anxiety

being confused because you're alive and you don't know what the fuck is immature

stressing because you're literally dying of disease is not
>>
>>29802438
>You will never find some godforsaken abyssal hole and leap into it
>>
You need to remember that a vast majority of normals avoid introspection. They might realize some of the existential issues but they don't dwell on them, they toss the thoughts aside because Chad is coming over today or they're going to da club that evening. Because they first noticed the thoughts during their teen years they conclude that it is an immature teen thing.

Meanwhile robots and philosophers dwell on the issues for years and live them each day. Normals just can't understand.
>>
>>29802532
okay but do some lsd first. preferably 200 mcg or above

if you still feel that way afterwards then i understand
>>
File: 1467577516065.jpg (405 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1467577516065.jpg
405 KB, 1920x1080
>>29802374
they will come from the land
>>
>>29802374
immaturity compared to an adult, but maturity for a child i guess.

literally no one on this planet has not experienced it if they made it past the age of 14. the more time you waste on it though the more it stops mattering what people call it, you're just fucking retarded.
>>
>>29802582
>implying 4chan isn't that hole
>>
>>29802459

It's pretty refreshing to hear that every once in a while.
>>
>>29802374
>he fell for the maturity meme

Adults are just glorified horrible children capable of dissimulation
>>
>>29802778
>he word saladed again
>>
>>29802829
>people on this board who use the phrase "word salad" loosely without realizing what the fuck it means
He meant that adults are big children who are more capable of being dishonest than regular children.

It's not that hard to figure out.
>>
File: a1b.jpg (63 KB, 499x625) Image search: [Google]
a1b.jpg
63 KB, 499x625
>>29802691
Normals be refreshing me to death.
>>
>>29802829

Not word salad. Have you ever actually heard word salad? It's incoherent.
>>
consciousness and it's bugs is what keeps me from being a complete nihilist
I mean, qualia is weird as fuck
Sapient life is like the most complex matter interaction ever
>>
>>29802374
I don't think it's a sign of immaturity, more of a sign that you have too much time on your hands. Generally, I find that those with the most concerns about things not immediately infront of them have the luxury of contemplating the stranger things. The only people who would call it mature are those without said luxury, as their focus is more living day by day, whether by need or choice.

But to answer you, it depends on the conclusion in which you reach. If you throw a fit, self-pity, and give up, then you are immature. If you keep going, trying to live a virtuous and happy life despite doubts or fears, then you are mature.
>>
>>29802955

>if you liked getting cucked by life then you're mature
>>
>>29803013
Amazing reading comprehension.

I never once said life actually did shit, it was all mental games. Hence the words 'Doubts' and 'Fears'. Life is how it is, only you paint the picture that you perceive. Don't be a nigger, anon. You make us both look bad.
>>
if you have real existential anxiety you realize literally nothing you do or say matters and we all just cease to exist forever after we die so there's literally no point in anything.
>>
>>29802955
>here bby I made you some spooky undercooked pasta
why did you make it?
>not telling lol my intentions are unfathomable, anyway aren't you going to eat it?
no I don't want it, I'm not hungry
>omg immature pussy get rekt what are you, chicken?! wow you are such a coward, that is so childish, real adults stand up to their problems instead of running and hiding from them
o-okay, I-I'll try it
>how is it?
tastes like shit
>what?!!?! you ungrateful faggot, I have cooked WAY WORSE pasta for people before you, you should be lucky that you got this pasta that I made for you and not some other variation of it
b-but I don't li-
>no, it's not the pasta's fault, it's YOUR fault for feeling the way you do about it. It's YOUR fault you don't like it. You have to like it otherwise you are just another cynical asshole.
it's b-been hours I r-really need to sleep...
>DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT WALKING AWAY OR I WILL DUMP AN ENTIRE TUB FULL OF PASTA ON YOU AND IT WILL TASTE WAY WORSE AND YOU WILL HAVE TO EAT IT ALL FOR ALL OF ETERNITY AND IT WILL BE ENDLESS.
>>
File: 1433121845926.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1433121845926.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1200
I think it's a path of introspection you might venture in depending on your life conditions and/or simple misfortune, a path from which it can be hard to find your way back the further you venture into it, but maybe it can lead you on the other side, a place for those who were strong enough to overcame all of it.

I would say though that there is a point after which it can become seriously debilitating, and that is when you are truly involved with your thinking and it isn't just a recurring but blurry thought. I'd say this can be particularly dangerous if you are a middle/poor class modern pleb in a first world country.
>>
>>29803081
There's no point in nothing either. There's no meaning to doing anything but choosing to do nothing rather than anything else, choosing suicide, asceticism or whatever exit from life you prefer is just another decision without inherent meaning in a vast vacuum of meaning, you can't escape that. Nonexistence cannot be proven to be preferable to existence, inaction cannot be shown to be preferable to action and even limitation of personal suffering is not inherently a better course than exposing one's self to suffering.

Love thy fate. It's the only solution to the mess we call life. Assign your own values to things and make your own meaning because religion or what have you are no longer sufficient to provide those. Postmodernism and the death of god didn't end the project of value creation, it merely exposed every man who's capable of an ounce of introspection to the project.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.