[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been dabbling in Buddhism lately, and it seems like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 10
File: buddha-225x300.jpg (14 KB, 225x300) Image search: [Google]
buddha-225x300.jpg
14 KB, 225x300
I've been dabbling in Buddhism lately, and it seems like it's actually the most logical religion (if you can even call it a religion).

I mean, the Buddha realized that life is suffering, and all robots can attest to that as the truth.
>>
Buddhism is an incredibly toxic religion in a lot of ways. It encourages disengagement and a lack of criticality.
>>
File: 1467295081925.jpg (36 KB, 505x284) Image search: [Google]
1467295081925.jpg
36 KB, 505x284
>>29781725
>Atheism is incredibly toxic in a lot of ways. It encourages disengagement and a lack of criticality.
>Video games are incredibly toxic in a lot of ways. It encourages disengagement and a lack of criticality.
>Social media is incredibly toxic in a lot of ways. It encourages disengagement and a lack of criticality.
I hope in time that you realize what an idiot you've been, or that you're just a troll which is more likely. Also,
>criticality
>mfw
>>29781706
OP, I would highly recommend some Joseph Campbell literature to you, especially his book, The Hero with a Thousand Faces, which was my introduction to Buddhism. Joseph Campbell saved my life with his writings and insights.
>>
>>29781725
>disengagement
In a sense, yeah.
Thing is, here in the west we are married to a notion of black and white, and shades of gray. Most people in the west stick tho this vision, and see Buddhism through this lens.
Plus there are a lot of different buddhist schools out there. Da Mo went to the temple at Xiao Lin and saw the monks stiff from just sitting there and they'd just die without ever making any progress. So he taught them the ways of Ch'an.
The marriage of Buddism and Dao that spawned the Ch'an philosophy is a happy one, for buddhism had a lot going in it but it had a very indian perspective to it still.
Anyway, as stated in the Dao De Jing: Wei wu wei: do without doing. This is a good example of the essence of the doctrine.
You don't detach yourself from the world, you just don't stress over it. That's a very very simplified way to see it, but I'm just trying to make a point: it's not about detachment.
>lack of criticality
[citation needed]
If anything, it encourages to be more critical with yourself regarding every action.
>>
>>29781725
Baited hard, anti-buddha. Good to see you're still around, though.
>>
buddhism nihilistic and self-extinguishing

not worth it bruh
>>
>>29781706
>logical
>religion
pick one
>>
>>29782046
>Saved my life
>On this board

Pick one. :')
>>
File: a.jpg (39 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
39 KB, 450x450
>>29782181
>logical
>atheism
pick originael
>>
>>29781706
If I want to learn about Buddhism where's a good place to start? I don't wanna get roped in by some bullshit book that completely misses the point
>>
File: 81+biT2yiKL.jpg (354 KB, 1201x1884) Image search: [Google]
81+biT2yiKL.jpg
354 KB, 1201x1884
Niggas ask me about my Toaism

http://personaltao.com/teachings/taoism/taoism-101/
>>
File: image.jpg (105 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105 KB, 512x512
Eastern Orthodoxy works out for me just fine.
>>
>>29782046
i have several jospeh campbell books, the power of myth and hero with a thousand faces. dont get me wrong, theyre interesting reads, but im curious what about them transformed you, or "saved your life?" i didnt find them to be about buddhism much, just basically his books are more like comparative mythology, like every culture and religion shares the same bullshitty hero stories. thats pretty much what i take away from it.
>>
>>29782266

probably something by alan watts. he is basically buddhism for the western white man.
>>
>>29782266
If you want to go direct to the source, you can consult the original Pali scriptures which claim to contain the Buddha's original words. Problem is, it's actually pretty hard to find a non-abridged translation of the full Pali Canon.
>>
I like Buddhism, but life isn't suffering to me though, it's an incomprehensibly beautiful and complex experience. I know I will grow old, sick and die, I know people will leave me, I know I am attached to and dependent on transient things. What's the big deal?

See, I've accepted I will lose this life and the things in it, and I will let go of it when the time comes.
>>
>>29782269
nice javascript ridden webapp
what does it say?
>>
>>29782269
>Taoism is acceptance of your life.
>Taoism is following your breath to find peace.
>Taoism is opening up a smile to enable possibility.
nope. completely missed the point
>>
>>29782407
I would paste the text but it's riddle with ascii

>>29782441
What was the point?
>>
>>29782465
the point of taoism?
it's well beyond those immediate pragmatic words oriented to stressed the ordinary mid-class norman
Obviously, can't tell you what it is because I haven't reached comprehension of tao.
Fuck it might as well be that but, it's not
>>
>>29782234
>theories are now beliefs
>>
File: 1457421767650.jpg (728 KB, 1350x1800) Image search: [Google]
1457421767650.jpg
728 KB, 1350x1800
>>29782499
No the point that they completely missed. I think that site gives a good overview of what Taoism is

Also pic >>29782269 is a great read
>>
>>29782562
>theory

is this bait? prove that nothing can become something. prove nothing can be. fuck off with your nonsense. people take drugs, dream of a god and an infinite being etc. nobody has experienced some dumb shit like the big bang.

experience > what we think happened based on this one thing
>>
>>29782608
>prove that something can come from nothing

dark matter, mate
>>
File: bigsmile2.jpg (53 KB, 544x548) Image search: [Google]
bigsmile2.jpg
53 KB, 544x548
>>29782213
>>29782213
eh, I just visit here from time to time, I like to be reminded of how shit women are and how terrible the experience of being male in our modern society can be, it keeps my perspective in check.
>>29782303
I grew up in a very christian family and didn't get much exposure to other religions. The Hero with a Thousand Faces was the first dive-plunge I took into Buddhism, if you can even call it that. The most I can say is that his books opened me up to an entire field of human experience that I was oblivious to before and I am now a better person because of it.

Am I still a nerd locked into dead-end jobs with no hope of making it with the opposite sex? Sure. But that's okay with me now. I look at alot of posts on this board and think to myself, "I wish this person had more life experience, then he would look back on this post he made and laugh at it."

I can't speak for everyone, but for me, Joseph Campbell teachings + some MGTOW philosophy = happiness and contentment.
>>
>>29782693
>still waiting

orange
>>
>>29782718
Of course the person interested in Campbell is also a mgtow. Jesus
>>
>>29781706
How do I learn about buddhism when most of what I read seems to be profound sounding bullshit that doesn't really mean anything? It's like every damn thing has to be this long ass complex speech with shitty analogies that don't make any sense. Are there any teachers that can give it to me straight? I've been fascinated with buddihsm for a while know but I can't learn anything cause no one is making any sense.
>>
>>29782833
Start with the original story. If you are completely green to it, then I recommend the documentary, "The Buddha" available from PBS, I swear I'm not shilling, that's just where I saw it first. It's about a good 3 hours total but it's a pretty decent crash course in what the practice is all about.
>>
>>29782925
Definitely going to check it out. Thanks!
>>
File: Meditation.jpg (69 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
Meditation.jpg
69 KB, 499x499
How come nobody has mentioned that the Buddha was hardcore NEET
>>
>>29781706
>be an enlightened buddha
>don't judge experiences
>assign zero value to experiences, positive or negative
>life is composed of experiences
>the value sum of things with zero value is zero
>life has zero value for the enlightened
>just fucking kill yourself then and stop wasting everybodies resources
It's logical, it works, it's just pointless.
>>
>>29783121
he was truly based
>>
Tao/Zen > Buddhism.
>>
>>29783121
NEETdom lead to the same conclusions buddha reached (the truths) desu, but for me, christianity is p good to escape nihilism.
>>
>>29782718
Campbell is shit.

t Jung.

>>29785165
Zen is Buddhism you retard. Tao is better but that doesn't make it good.
Gnosticism is best.
>>
>>29785419
Zen isn't Buddhism you stupid fuck, it is a spin off.
>>
if u guys want to study true Buddhism, go with Zen. Zen picked up core of Buddha teaching and let go of all supernatural bullshit.

i live in Thailand and i saw a lot of western people come here to study Buddhism not knowing Buddhism here is pretty much Hinduism Ghost worship cluster fuck with temple and buddha statue.

99% of people here are buddhist but 99% of them also never study Buddhism they just worship statue and do things out of fear.

tldr: avoid thai Buddhism and stick with Zen
>>
>>29785447
asian here. Zen is Buddhism. there many version of Buddhism here Zen is one of them.
>>
File: c26.png (223 KB, 404x507) Image search: [Google]
c26.png
223 KB, 404x507
>Life is suffering
All religions one way or another know life is gay, that's their appeal, Anon. You got Muslim women dressing like penguins, Catholics doing that fasting shit, all self denial just to make you feel good and realize the Earth fucking sucks compared to a paradise or new incarnation or Moksha.

Sorry, OP. Religion is never a logical thing to talk about unless you wanna be those indecisive fags who don't choose. It's all touchy-feely. I hate that about Ontology, but I don't hate religion.
>>
>>29781706
There are things about Buddhism that make a lot of sense, but you should not make the mistake of assuming that just because part of a religion is true, the whole thing is gospel. Truth is more important than religion, and it has to be rigorously proven to be considered as "truth."
>>
>>29782465
just read the tao of pooh
>>
>tfw TANTRA

>tfw OSHO
>>
>>29785549
This guy gets it. Well said.
Zen /=/ Buddhism
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.