[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Things that can be described in one word?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: IMG-20151130-WA0003.jpg (52 KB, 700x1245) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20151130-WA0003.jpg
52 KB, 700x1245
Things that can be described in one word?
>>
>>29772680
>Things that can be described in one word?
colors

blue, you know exactly what I am talking about

also any general idea, if I say mountain, you know we are both thinking of a mountain.
>>
>>29772709

You might be thinking about hazel blue, I might have navy blue in my mind.
>>
>>29772680
>Things that can be described in one word?
come to think of it this is pretty much just all nouns

if a thing can be described in one word, it's safe to say that the word is the name of the thing

cat, describes a... cat
hand, desribes a ... hand
etc

>>29772726
but the general idea of blue can be described in one word
and I suppose blue is a specific color, hazel is a modifier for blue which would describe a different color. when we say blue nobody is thinking of turquoise blue
>>
>>29772757

Actually, OPs question is stupid. Nothing can be described in a single word.
>>
>>29772796
yeah I think you are right

give an account in words of (someone or something), including all the relevant characteristics, qualities, or events.

that's the definition of describe, so by the definition, the ONLY things that could be described in one word would be a SINGLE characteristic or quality

I guess even blue is vague. The only specific things I think would fit this catergory would be numbers

1 describes the concept of their being 1 thing - 1 is the description of 1, you cannot describe 1 without 1, unlike blue, everyone thinks of the EXACT same 1
>>
>be me
>first time on 4chan
>post a stupid question
>expect getting destroyed
>be disappointed
>>
>>29772680
OP- homosexual
>>
>>29772864

Well, 1 could refer to a quantity, or maybe it could be like, "1", as in 1st? I don't know.

Maybe you don't have to account for every characteristic.

In which case you could describe literally anything with a single word.
>>
>>29772885

Would it make you feel better if I called you a faggot?
>>
>>29772946
>In which case you could describe literally anything with a single word.

well I think "describe" implies a complete description, if not, than this question wouldn't really make sense to ask

and the only ideas or things I can think of that can be COMPLETELY described, without variability or confusion in understanding, would be numbers, because even simple general ideas may be different if described by a single word

and 1 is a different concept than first, coming in first place is a uniquely separate concept or thing than having one object
>>
>>29773039

Well, a description doesn't necessarily need to encompass absolutely everthing, by definition. If I called someone fat, that would, technically, count as a description.

But in reply to your number theory, that's not really a description, is it? Because you are just calling them what they are.

It's like, if someone asked me to describe a rock, and I just said "rock".
>>
OP
you know the word
starts with f dumbass
>>
There's no way to describe anything in a word.

To accurately describe something or convey an idea, you would need a sentence or at the very least a handful of words.

A common example of this is the famous "six word novel":

Baby shoes for sale-
Never worn.

There's so much information you can infer from those six words strung together in that order.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.