[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here actually fixed their depression? How?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 15
File: 1461312319664.jpg (672 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
1461312319664.jpg
672 KB, 1024x1024
Anyone here actually fixed their depression? How?
>>
>>29755020
lobotomy also this comment is not original
>>
Yes.
Stop being a faggot.
I'm sorry it hurts but it's the truth.
You could start by stopping saving edgy emo pictures from random websites.
>>
I went to the arcade and played DDR. It made me feel better and I thought I was cured, but then I woke up again today wanting to die. It was fun while it lasted.
>>
no

i'm hoping i meet a qt3.14 and we fall in love and take care of eachother and make eachother happy.

i tried psychiatry, psychology and that whole deal - none of it worked and it is really hard to get off some of those meds.
>>
File: Poster.png (568 KB, 413x618) Image search: [Google]
Poster.png
568 KB, 413x618
Yes. Optimism.

>Jan 2012
>In a mental hospital after suicide attempt
>scars are permanent

>Jul 2016
>College graduate, gave graduation speech, working in law, $40,000/yr, raise next month + promotion, moved out of mom's, etc.
>Actually have my ex back in my life (she's the lighter arm in the photos)

Optimism really makes a difference. Plus I realized I would never kill myself. The hospital was miserable and I got a younger brother counting on me. Opening a bank acct for him last year was amazing.

tl;dr still have depression, but learned to manage it and look up. stopped cutting.
>>
You keep yourself busy.
>>
Lots of meds my dude. Still depressed though because half the time I forget to take them.
>>
Getting older and gaining some willpower. Realizing that you're just wasting time that could be spent on more productive things that will actually make you feel better if you just do them.
>>
Bohm-Krishnamurti dialogues
>>
I did. Spent many years completely alone. I don't get along or really speak to my family at all, and I didn't have any friends. One day a coworker asked me what I was doing on the weekend and when I told her I was going to the movies alone, she took pity and went with me.

We were both in similar situations albeit for different reasons.

Eventually we became close friends, she introduced me to her family and we both developed our social circles together. For over 6 years we were best friends. And not in the beta orbiting way. She'd date and so would I. Her family, her and I did everything together. Movies, meals, holidays, you name it.

For the first time in my life I felt like I had an actual family. Better then that, because we weren't even related. They cared about me because they wanted to, not because we shared blood.

Over the years the fog lifted. Not all at once but one day I realized it had been a long long time since I had wanted to hurt myself or felt that same gray feeling we all recognize. I might not have been optimistic, but I definitely wasn't sad anymore.

That's how I beat it. Friendship and eventually family. Like in the cheesy animes.

But now that's over. She decided I'm not welcome around her or her family anymore. She Wants time to "find herself" and apparently that means cutting me out of their lives completely. None of them have made any attempt to contact me at all. I keep trying to think of what I could have done, but there's nothing. No big fight no argument nothing. Last thanksgiving I didn't even see my real family. I spent it cooking dinner with them, laughing and talking around the table. Now it's been weeks and it's back to where I first started, seeing movies by myself and spending my days completely alone. The depression is quickly returning, and with a vengeance. I'd forgotten how hard it is to be utterly and completely alone. I wish I'd just stayed lonely than to have gotten free and be pushed back in.
>>
File: 14785248965.jpg (250 KB, 625x472) Image search: [Google]
14785248965.jpg
250 KB, 625x472
>>29755020
I did for like a year then it came back even stronger. What helped me was reading that being overweight can be a cause of depression and losing weight helps get rid of it. But after I lost about 30 pounds, I gained back like 15 of it, and I'm back where I started.

And I also got a cat and that helped a little too
>>
i had a chronic depression for a really short time
but i suffered from depression almost all the time

i recommend to stop giving a fuck about "purpose" "future" and "goal" and just focus on the present.
most people don't get to live their lives anyways,some people die on their birthdays. who gives a shit
>>
>>29755342
*sigh* here come the failed normies again and their "it's worse to have loved and lost" bullshit.
Can you fuck off, Norman?
>>
>>29755020
I think I mostly did. Now I'm just working on doing constructive things and enduring my current environment as well as I can.

What I believed helped me the most was 1) going on walks to the park during the day and 2) reading self-help books.

I don't feel like I need the self-help books anymore, and it's too fucking hot to walk these days. But I'm much better off now.
>>
File: 1448853529445.png (17 KB, 633x772) Image search: [Google]
1448853529445.png
17 KB, 633x772
>>29755020
I just completely bottomed out of positivity, I have zero expectations left, my life is pure pain but I just can't care any longer.

It's like trying to drain a dry pool, nothing else can be taken from me, I have been utterly drained.

I haven't taken SSRIs in months, I fear if I were to start taking them again, the joy would return, only to be whisked away again by my depression. As long as I remain an empty husk I can no longer be harmed.
>>
>>29755020
what i have learned in life is that the more cliche the advice sounds the better it is for you.
>started with walking
>started lifting weights
>changed my absolute shit diet and eat clean now
>get AT LEAST 9 hours of sleep

i went from suicidal depression to an im ok feeling. still no gf but fuck it i just keep my self busy as possible and bury the loneliness deep down. its a 24/7 process keeping the depression away but its worth it,
>>
File: etupep.jpg (20 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
etupep.jpg
20 KB, 306x306
>tfw addicted to autism stimulants and they make me feel empty inside
I want my consciousness to cease most days
>>
File: Thank You Gyro.jpg (39 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
Thank You Gyro.jpg
39 KB, 350x350
I cured mine, but I can only assume what the remainder is, is what was hidden, tucked away before the depression started. A former self I never really knew, because 'it' didn't know much but what it did abide.

The onset of it was almost unrecognizable, and soon I was spending hours in bed crying and sleeping for what seemed to be over something drastically small, that I was confused about. A girl, a grade, an approval, a shameful image and an overwhelming, crushing sense that my inferiority was justice and that being correct was arbitrary. Biting my hands, hearing voices and chanting, heart racing randomly, a sense that I was being watched. It was horrific.

It didn't matter the facts, I was just a failure, and 'wrong' on all accounts. So I isolated myself, and whimpered and moped in echoic melancholy that was not an edgy, attention seeking drivel, but what would be akin to an obsessive, deranged need for strength to be granted. Something that went by what the textbook on life commanded, and marched into countless occasions where acquaintances, work colleagues, friends and family each just narrowed it down to "you're only growing".

The thought of suicide was met with internal screaming, shouting "that is for cowards, you cannot die yet". Self-harm the same.

In time, my isolation brought out my thoughts. I'm calmer and more inquisitive for it now. I malnourished myself, lost 20KG in about 3 months after breaking my body and mind. I held and still hold an intense anger and hatred that I never got out against the abuse, the slander, the liars and the wrong of people I never knew was wrong until I looked internally. I am now functional, but cannot operate on much higher levels as enough is not enough, and when I exit my own likewise community, I find the generally sane are depressingly wrong.

My mind is purged of the depression, but it was really the thing that kept me from being robotic, but at least I'm no longer deluded. The voices are quiet, finally.
>>
I think I beat depression for the time being. I just got off taking Citalopram and I feel a lot better. It seems like the seratonin levels in my brain are normal for the first time since middle school. But, I know that this will only last for a month tops and I'll be crawling back to the pills.
>>
>>29756586
A lot of people probably won't read this and discredit you as some loon, but self introspection is literally the only way out of a depressive slump. Everyone please listen to this man.
>>
i can only beat it temporarily by getting drunk and/or high
>>
File: 1444674996673.gif (897 KB, 250x181) Image search: [Google]
1444674996673.gif
897 KB, 250x181
If they did why would they be here?
>>
LSD nature and knowledge
>>
>>29758326
KNAWLEDGE you say
>>
>>29758080
yeah newsflash assholes
if you aren't on this board in order to make fun of us (which still makes you a shit person), you remain broken
>>
Hypericum
>>
File: IlqlmVZ.jpg (98 KB, 800x511) Image search: [Google]
IlqlmVZ.jpg
98 KB, 800x511
I have found for me my depression isn't something that I can 'beat'. It comes in waves, It's always there, it's kinda just because of how I view the world. I wish I can explain it better but im tired. Like sometimes I feel my depression is justified because of this fucking environment/society we live in. At the same time I choose to find things that make me happy. I can feel better if I run, work hard in my uni classes, and focus on hobbies and friends.

I find lsd to be pretty much an eject button out of depression and addiction, It has a way of making you focus and solve your problems if there are any, at least solve them in your mind. However I have also found it to be unreliable if I am in a particularly bad rut or if I don't prepare for it, almost counterproductive. Lsd trips are amazing but very stressful especially if you take a lot. However no matter how depressed I get now, after that first heavy lsd trip, I find I will never see a reason to commit suicide again.

Antidepressants never worked for me.

Honestly my severe anxiety is what annoys me the most and can often make me depressed after awhile.
>>
>>29758583
*I need to specify. DONT TAKE LSD IF YOU ARE SAD OR DEPRESSED YOU WILL HAVE A NIGHTMARE OF A TIME.
>>
>>29755084
Just play DDR every day. You have found your calling.
>>
Mediation and improving one's physical fitness is the only cure to mental illnesses.
>>
>>29758637
I agree with the fitness part, but I hear meditation is something you should probably avoid if you're depressed
>>
>>29758677
I find when I am down and when I was depressed that mediation was more effective as the mind is more malleable provided that you know what you are doing.

When you are desperate for change then that is the time when you can easily reprogram yourself.
>>
I wouldn't claim that I fixed my depression. It still lingers in the back of my mind. But ever since I started eating better, working out, got a decent job and started doing psychedelics again I feel alot better and even have periods where I forget/don't notice my depression. The only thing missing is social interaction but that's the hardest step to do well I think.
>>
I went to college starting in my early-mid 20s and went to grad school.

Having a passion to live for really helped. If you're depressed, try discovering something transcendental that you really love, and pouring yourself into it. It's not perfect, it involved a lot of luck, and it was a hell of a bumpy ride, but I am happy now and I feel like I live for something really great. As a side benefit, having a career that you love means you will be good at it, which will bring recognition and success, which will bring confidence and friends, which will fix a lot of other issues - I used to be unbelievably socially anxious and much more Aspie, but now I am fine really.

Seriously, just find something bigger than you. There's nothing stopping you from chasing dreams even if you don't have the opportunity to go to college.
>>
>>29755020
Drugs, hobbies, being physically active, an active social life.
>>
>>29755020
well I did kind of

Started drinking heavily. Didnt really solve anything but I dont care anymore.
>>
File: cernovich.jpg (52 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
cernovich.jpg
52 KB, 800x450
>>29755020
The book "Gorilla Mindset" by American author, public intellectual and twitter personality Mike Cernovich
>>
>>29758823
>be born an alpha with good genes
>DUDE IT'S ALL ABOUT MINDSET

hmmmm. that shit only works if you have the faculties to provide for that thing in the firstplace
>>
Going to do ECT bois, wish me luck
>>
I did. It's called being type 2 bipolar.

EMBRACE THE HYPOMANIA
>>
I'm >>29759180
This guy is a soothsayer. >>29756586
>>
>>29758632
loolll grandpa that's so 00s
the turn of the century called and wants its game back
>>
>>29758804
so youre saying i should just be myself!
all this time it has been so simple
>>
>>29755020
I stopped when I moved on and forgot about it. Think about the upsides and find somone...
>>
>>29758613
This is mostly a meme. It can go either way. Sometimes psychedelics can break a bad mood.
>>
>>29759588
ive had times where it has turned the trip to a nightmare. its not a meme
>>
File: 1456835458118.jpg (19 KB, 389x378) Image search: [Google]
1456835458118.jpg
19 KB, 389x378
>>29755154
>Literally a nigger normie

GET THE FUCK OUT NOW
>>
I went on that r/me_irl subreddit and saw all their literal garbage depression memes

They were so bad and yet people thought they were hilarious

It made me not want to be sad anymore not out of wanting to be happy but because they bastardized the concept
>>
>>29755020
OP I'm 32 years old and I've been battling depression my whole life, I was medicated at 18 and just in the last 3 years I have finally won the war and defeated it. If you're interested, I'll explain.
>>
>>29760288
Im interested

Please explain
>>
>>29760439
k give me 4 mins
>>
>>29760565
okiie
>>
>>29760439

ok so I got diagnosed with depression at 18, put on meds, tried a bunch of different meds to see which one worked better. None of them really did anything, as far as I could tell.
>>
>>29760693
I first started questioning my parents about life, death, afterlife, god, things like that at age 6 or so. I got horribly upset thinking about death when I was a kid, it scared the shit out of me. For some reason, in my teen years I mostly forgot about that because I was busy being a teenager, but it started to come back at 18.

My early 20's were fucked, totally depressed, trying different meds, going to shrinks, and none of it made any sense.

I kept starting things (like going to college or joining a sports team) and then quitting them. I couldn't see the point. I just kept running into the problem of seeing everything as meaningless.
>>
>>29760734

So in my mid 20s I started looking for help from anywhere, because my mom committed suicide and I knew I was close to doing that myself. I went everywhere. I went back to shrinks, I even went to church, I desperately searched for answers, and nothing was satisfying me.

Until I started reading philosophy and learning science. I learned that I had existential depression, that the root cause of my depression was a feeling of meaningless of existence, and great thinkers have tackled that problem. I read Niechze, Kant, Kierkegard, and Camut. I learned about the big bang, relativity, and quantum physics
>>
>>29760773

There appears to be no god, and the universe appears to exist without any inherent meaning. What do we do with that? Should we just commit suicide? Well... committing suicide would be just as meaningless as anything else.

If we're going to be here anyway, we must choose what to do with our lives. If free will is an illusion then none of this matters because you don't really exist the way you think you do, and if free will is not an illusion then everything you do matters, so you need to act as if it is real.

You can't know how much of the secrets of existence we haven't yet discovered, and there's no point in getting depressed about things that are beyond your current understanding, like mortality. You've got to make the best of your situation, whatever it is at the moment, with whatever knowledge you've got at the moment.

For me, I've realized that my passion in life is learning, so I went back to school for physics and I've got a 3.9 GPA and got accepted to grad school, I start in Sept. I hope you can find your path.
>>
>>29755084
you must be new to this. after a while you stop trusting those moments and learn to anticipate the concomitant fall that follows.
>>
File: 1433104016998.jpg (25 KB, 330x312) Image search: [Google]
1433104016998.jpg
25 KB, 330x312
>>29760831
> There appears to be no god, and the universe appears to exist without any inherent meaning
inherent meaning is an oxymoron, meaning itself is a human subjective idea. "meaning" doesn't exist, like an imaginary friend doesn't exist.
> There appears to be no god
if there was a god why would it make anything any more meaningful?
> we must choose what to do with our lives
why? ultimate end is just feely goods. whatever.
> If free will is an illusion then none of this matters because you don't really exist the way you think you do, and if free will is not an illusion then everything you do matters
nothing matters either way. why would not having free will change whether anything mattered?
> there's no point in getting depressed about things that are beyond your current understanding
theres no point in anything but we still function as if there is
> my passion / your path
both memes. good job on convincing yourself you're doing something worthwhile so you can get feely goods before death, which is really all there is, but don't pretend you came to some brilliant logical conclusion that changed everything.

the logical conclusion is the one you were so certain of, the one you have to fight to deny. everyone knows this deep down, which is why most of society operates on escape and all humans operate on delusion
>>
>>29755020
Not sure if I had but I remember being unhappy for several months. Mostly caused by finding out that world is a fucked up place that will never get its shit together and become cooperative.

I decided to punch the "fuck the world" button and this sadness has gone away, now I see everything as a living hell and never being surprised by ingratitude anymore. My heart still melts in acts of kindness though.

Sometimes, all it takes is a change of your worldview to fix your inner self, OP.
>>
>>29761830
> I remember being unhappy for several months
> all it takes is a change of your worldview to fix your inner self, OP
kys if this isn't bait
>>
>>29761453
what? Get the fuck out of here with your pseudo-intellectual bullshit.

If I take a shit on your face, it's going to be unpleasant for you. If I beat the shit out of you, you're not going to like it. If I cum in your mom's ass, I'm going to love it.

Take your fake buddhist shit and shove it up your urethra.

There is no such thing as a non-position, everything you say or do is taking a position, even non-action.

To say that nothing matters and everything is meaningless and that there's no point in having a path or a purpose or a passion, IS A FUCKING POSITION. It's a position that can be criticized. And it's a fucking retarded position.

You exist, I exist, our subjective existence is all that we have. Meaning is real even if it only exists in our minds.

God you're a fucking cunt. No one invites you to parties, do they? You must be insufferable IRL.
>>
>>29762206
Can't call it a depression if I never went to a therapist, right? Although I had every fucking symptom, from anhedonia to random moments locking myself in my room and crying silently like a fag.

Not bait.
>>
>>29755020
I can't say I've fixed it but since I started working out once a day things have become a lot easier. I also find mindfulness meditation can be helpful but I just started trying that.
>>
>>29755020
I stopped being a neet, got a job, and found a girlfriend. We are married now.
>>
>>29755020
I realized and fully understood the fact that I am only a biological machine in the sense of cybernetics (input, memory, output, various feedback loops and regulatory mechanisms).

Depression only makes it harder to go from inputs to actions. But with conscious effort, I can minimize these effects.

Just like exercise makes you stronger, mental stimulation makes you more mentally resilient.

Some tricks to train my willpower (cold showers, nofap(even if you fail all the time)), reading books, regular exercise, spending time with family or friends. Also taking care of myself and actually buying nice new yet cheap clothes is also good. Basically forcing myself to function as a human being, at least partially, is what yanks me out of the depressing decay.

Basically this. >>29755189 Which is actually doing things instead of wishing I have done them.

Oh yeah and a mild case of bibliophillia helps too. At least I have a reason to go to the city regularly, to roam antiquarian bookshops and buy used old books.
>>
File: 1466093533912.jpg (74 KB, 917x1186) Image search: [Google]
1466093533912.jpg
74 KB, 917x1186
>>29755020
There's only way off the ride desu senpai baka origami
>>
>>29755154
I fucking love how your scars are massive and run right down your wrists while your girlfriend has little babby scratches. Why women can't be robots in one picture.
>>
>>29755084
How can people be this retarded?
>>
yoga & meditation. you guys should seriously consider doing. sitting there all day is what makes you tense. having a relaxed mind away from bad feels and a relaxed body free from tensions is a good start, with a detoxing diet, you'll feel more lighter and feel like a whole load of shit has been lifted off you.
>>
>>29755020

I started doing ponies. For 2 years, my depression was completely gone and I felt like I was in a new plain of existence. Now I almost lost interest all pony related activities and my mind slowly faded away into nothingness again. Now I am just in a state of apathy and misery.
>>
>>29765972
>tfw ponies were your life for years and now you genuinely consider suicide when the ride finally ends
>>
>>29755020
sorry man
its for life
you were born with it if its chronic
youre gonna need to completely stifle yourself with benzos or alcohol just to remove yourself from reality for the sake of society
>>
>>29755020

I was heavily, heavily depressed for most of my life, starting in my early teens. I spent years where my my only goal for the day was getting through it without killing myself. I did lots of therapy, lots of antidepressants. It wasn't until my late twenties that I finally broke free.

I will teach you my secrets:

Exercise, diet, meditation. These are all equally important and leaving one out will fuck you over but if you exercise regularly (30 min a day at the absolute minimum, no real upper limit on how much is good for you - 2 hours a day would be wonderful), eat a healthy diet (nothing processed, no added sugar, lots of fruits and vegetables) and learn to meditate properly and do it daily, you'll not only cure your depression but actually start feeling happy on a regular basis.

The hardest part is forcing yourself to actually do all this stuff when you're too depressed to care. Once you get the ball rolling it will sustain itself and if you start to backslide, the corresponding drop in your mood will motivate you to get back on track.
>>
>>29766173
this is such a fucking lie it makes my head hurt
>>
>>29765972
Didn't think bronies came to this board
>>
>>29766208

It requires you to actually make an effort, champ. Spending all day browsing /selfpity/ is not going to cure your depression.
>>
>>29766246

Why not? Do you really think someone in his perfect mental state normie chad would into mlp?
>>
>>29755020
I thought doing things like finishing college, getting a job with a salary, moving out to my own place, lifting and getting fit would help. It did a little bit. I still do the same shit though, stay inside playing WoW or something and not making new friends in my free time. I guess it's always been my own fault.

My only friends are girls. I want male friends and a gf.
>>
>>29766364
lmao
im not depressed but that is the biggest load of garbage ive ever seen
its shit that gets repeated ad nauseam at self help groups
DIET EXERCISE AND POSTIVE ATTITUDE
it doesn't cure shit
if it did, no one would be depressed
if anything you were just a little pussy who couldn't handle being sad about shit that happened to them
real mental disease comes from your genes, and there isn't shit anyone can do about it
im a social worker I should know
>>
>>29766459
I sort of know this feel, clawed my way out of NEETdom. College going well, job, apartment, still miserable.
>>
Realized I have god tier genetics, and my ex was a manipulate, jealous bitch.
Once I started doing the opposite of what she would have wanted me to do, I feel drunk, even though I'm sober.

Took me three years, though. Must've turned down at least 20 women, because I didn't understand them when all they wanted were my dik.
>>
>>29766465

So you have no personal experience with depression, you're just some moron who has no idea what he's talking about.

>im a social worker

A.k.a. you have zero training in medicine and are basically a glorified babysitter for losers on welfare. Got it.

Depression is not some magic brain chemistry nonsense. It's your body telling you that there's something wrong with your life that needs to be fixed. The most likely reasons for this are a shitty diet, lack of exercise, or stress and negative thought patterns.

The reason these basic things get repeated so often - and the reason why the main thing every psychiatrist will recommend to you after medication is regular exercise - is because decades of research has proven over and over that they are highly effective.

Any anons who are actually depressed and are reading this and thinking, "Maybe that guy's right, maybe >>29766173 is just a load of crap", please consider if you really want to take advice from someone who thinks that depression is the inevitable result of your genes and if you let it bother you, you're "just a little pussy".
>>
>>29766627
my god you have problems
please check yourself into a psych ward, I think your 'depression' was the least of your problems
>>
>>29766663

Nice rebuttal m8, you sure showed me.

Guess I'll just go sit in the corner and be sad now that you've proven that depression is the unavoidable result of my genes and impossible to cure.
>>
>>29766627
I'm giving this method a try. Currently of using on excercise, doing starting strength and want to start running too. Once I'm more used to that I plan to work on a better diet.

Kind of hard because my general mental state is getting more unstable at the moment.
>>
>>29766758

/fit/ was what got me started too. Don't worry, your mental state will improve as you exercise and improve your diet. Once you get more stable you can start to experiment and find out what works best for you.
>>
File: 1467000719729.jpg (447 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1467000719729.jpg
447 KB, 800x800
>>29755020
>672 KB JPG
>Anyone here actually fixed their depression?
Pic related
>>
>>29766712
'magic brain chemistry'
'negative thought patterns'
'no personal experience with depression'
'babysitter for losers on welfare'
AND you believe that repetition without result in over 70% of cases is not madness
I don't know what to tell you
I think you need help greater than what I can provide
>>
>>29766917
Not him, but fuck off retard. You're just insulting him and acting like that's an argument at this point.

The advice he gave is clinically speaking the method to cure depression. Medication is given for when patients are so bad they can't do that stuff.

You're acting like you working as a social worker gives you any authority on talking about mental illness, and he's right, it doesn't. You might as well claim you're a carpenter, it's irrelevant.

And negative thought patterns is literally what depression is, you fucking retard.
>>
>>29766948
so because I cant prescribe medicine it makes my experience irrelevant?
if these methods worked then there wouldn't be a fucking epidemic of mental illness in this country
shit wouldn't be the worst that I've ever seen it in my career
I don't have the same authority as a doctor, you're right, but as a social worker I work with those who are 'depressed' every day
who cant see a way out of their situation
and its funny, most of them work labor jobs
you cant honestly believe that eating vegetables and walking 30mins a day cures all of your psychological ailments
its fucking insanity
>>
>>29766948
Just give up, mate. These people are beyond saving. The more people who come here and get depressed, the more grils for us to fuck.

I just came back here to r9k, to see if I were missing anything. Apparently not.

If you think there something sensible in what I (>>29766583) say; read up on those infographics that's floating around here, about dominating women.

Now, practice, practice, practice and never take anything a woman says seriously.

>inb4 see you in two weeks
>>
>>29767053
>so because I cant prescribe medicine it makes my experience irrelevant?

No, but you having no training and evidently no knowledge of the field does.

>if these methods worked then there wouldn't be a fucking epidemic of mental illness in this country

It does work you fucking retard. Here are some sources, just to prove how retarded you are.
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3674785/
>In summary, exercise appears to be an effective treatment for depression, improving depressive symptoms to a comparable extent as pharmacotherapy and psychotherapy.

>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21495519
>Specific studies support the use of exercise as a treatment for depression. Exercise compares favorably to antidepressant medications as a first-line treatment for mild to moderate depression and has also been shown to improve depressive symptoms when used as an adjunct to medications

Literally the first two results from google. Fuck off.
>>
Adderall cured mine
Granted I have "real" depression not le i feel sad give me attention normalfag shit that is cured with a few motivational images and weight lifting.

The problem is the adderall will fuck your shit up during the come down so its kind of a trade off if you want to feel great then feel more terrible than ever or if you want to naturally feel like shit all the time.
>>
>>29767099
you sure showed me
now please go cure the epidemic in our country with your amazing insight since apparently a couple of observational studies count as proof to you
>>
>>29767099
Here's a review of many studies, and explanation, just so you don't go "Oh, that's just a couple studies, doesn't prove it".

>http://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/exercise-and-depression-report-excerpt
>A review of studies stretching back to 1981 concluded that regular exercise can improve mood in people with mild to moderate depression. It also may play a supporting role in treating severe depression.
>Another study, published in the Archives of Internal Medicine in 1999, divided 156 men and women with depression into three groups. One group took part in an aerobic exercise program, another took the SSRI sertraline (Zoloft), and a third did both. At the 16-week mark, depression had eased in all three groups. About 60%-70% of the people in all three groups could no longer be classed as having major depression.
>For many years, experts have known that exercise enhances the action of endorphins, chemicals that circulate throughout the body. Endorphins improve natural immunity and reduce the perception of pain. They may also serve to improve mood. Another theory is that exercise stimulates the neurotransmitter norepinephrine, which may directly improve mood.

>>29767071
I'm not really even interested in the whole becoming a player thing, I think that takes away from recovery when you start adding subjective stuff onto it like that, you know? It's like "You can't recover unless you become this thing you might not like".
>>
>>29767151
I fucking knew you would come out with the whole "Oh, it's just a couple studies, doesn't count". Fucking hell you're predictable mate.

This is 100% proven, that exercise is an effective treatment for depression. I have backed this up with two studies, as well as a review of many studies now. You going "Nuh-uh I'm a social worker so I know better" doesn't prove anything.

You're just intentionally spreading misinformation at this point.
>>
>>29758583
>I can feel better if I run, work hard in my uni classes, and focus on hobbies and friends.
If I could do that I wouldn't mind being """""depressed""""". In my case I just spiral between not having energy to do anything and then feeling guilty and panicking because of doing nothing. Finally forced myself to go see a psychiatrist and I'm taking pills, hope they work.
>>
>>29767175
>I'm not interested in becoming a player

I agree, that is an unattractive trait among the women I desire, but knowing I could be helps a lot.

Know that we are animals with the sole purpose in life of having sex, all of the time.
>>
>>29767279
Oh, I get you more now, it's less "I should start fucking all these women and spending my whole life being a player" and more about you realising that you have attractive traits and plenty of potential? That absolutely makes sense then, I agree that's a major stepping stone in recovery from this stuff.

Maybe next time put in something about how it could be realising a talent, or something else positive though, if you post that stuff again? That would be my advice.
>>
I think it depends on what kind of depression you're experiencing.

I got diagnosed with psychotic depression a year ago, among other things. I don't think I really feel "sad" a lot of the time. It's more like I get these intrusive thoughts whenever I try to get anything done. They tell me that I can't do it, that I'm worthless, that I should procrastinate for just a few more hours, that everything's pointless, that I should just end my life, etc. I've decided that whenever my thoughts tell me not to do something I'm going to purposely go out of my way to do that thing, just to prove them wrong. I woke up at midnight last night and I kept thinking about this song I had in my head, that I'd been putting off for a while. I decided to start working on it. After a while, I looked at the clock and it was already noon. I had half of the song recorded and most of the backbone of the other half all set up and ready. So I don't know, maybe I just gotta force myself to do everything that the thoughts tell me not to do. Maybe they'll go away eventually if I keep at it.
>>
>>29767332
Psychotic depression is really similar in how you treat it to other forms, as the psychosis is directly a result of the depressive episodes, as opposed to say, a depressed person with schizophrenia, who would have psychosis no matter how they feel. Sometimes individuals need anti-psychotics, but anything that helps for normal depression will also help you.
>>
>>29767215
100% proven lmao
theres no point with you
im not saying it doesn't SLIGHTLY help
but it certainly doesn't cure anything
and anyone with REAL (SEVERE) DEPRESSION would know that
there is no amount of walking, eating veggies, or sitting alone in a room that would change that
im done, go fuck yourself
>>
>>29755020
funny pills from izaak shekelberg
100% proof
>>
>>29767370
>but it certainly doesn't cure anything
>and anyone with REAL (SEVERE) DEPRESSION would know that

Did you even read anything that I posted?

You're a complete moron. Your desire to be right doesn't change the fact that you are objectively wrong. There have been many studies on on this that prove you're objectively wrong, and I have provided citations to this claim.

Why do people find it so absolutely impossible to admit that they might have been wrong?
>>
>>29755020

i was depressed for most of my early teens. in my mid teens i had a psychotic episode and was diagnosed with schizophrenia. after getting out of hospital i was also diagnosed with major depression. they gave me anti depressive ssris (zoloft) which i took for a couple of years and during that time i became less depressed. now my life is still shit and i have some depressive thoughts but i dont feel depressed anymore. i wouldnt recommend zoloft however because it fucked up my sex drive. i stopped taking it months ago but i still dont fap everyday and it killed my dick for months when i was first on it.
>>
I thought that I had cancer and then I didn't.

The lowest point I've ever been in my life was at the beginning of this year. I had a chronic back issue that resulted in extreme numbness in my legs that required me to walk with a cane. Waking up was torture and every second of my life was agony. I was basically living in my own filth, subsisting on fast food and alcohol to numb the pain of existing. And then one day I fell and hurt my foot, requiring me to go to the hospital and leading to a series of tests that found a massive tumor in my spine pressing against my nerves. There was a 2% chance of it not being cancer. And guess what? It wasn't cancer. I got the surgery, felt immediate improvement and have been doing better ever since. What's funny is that I'm still kind of gross, misanthropic and still drink and eat fast food way too much. But I don't hate waking up every morning. My life isn't agony. I actually feel pretty dope, all things considered. Now, I stay at home and spend all day in my underwear because I've been doing too much every weekend and just want to chill by myself. It's pretty damn nice.
>>
>>29767370
>and anyone with REAL (SEVERE) DEPRESSION would know that

Son, you've already admitted you're not depressed and therefore have no way of knowing this.

It's obvious that you have no idea what you're talking about and you've been embarrassing yourself for a while now. Don't make this worse than it already is.
>>
>>29767466
you nit pick what I say
exercise helps mild depression in some people
good diet helps mild depression in some people
are you really that fucking dense?
you must have misinterpreted me from the beginning
>>
>>29767508
the outside looking in argument huh?
>>
>>29767534
>exercise helps mild depression in some people
>good diet helps mild depression in some people

Both help all depression in all people. Again, we've known this for decades. Psychiatrists recommend both to all patients regardless of their level of depression.
>>
I get better and then worse again when I get some hope for the future and inevitably once again realize that I'm worthless and nothing good will ever happen to me.
>>
>>29767534
>you nit pick what I say

I quote the relevant shit. I'm not going to bother quoting something you claim that is proven completely incorrect by the citations I already provided.

>exercise helps mild depression in some people
>good diet helps mild depression in some people

Also moderate and is important in treatment of severe depression. You don't even have to read the sources I posted if you don't want, but at least read the parts I greentexted for your benefit.

>are you really that fucking dense?

So dense that I'd trust in peer reviewed studies over some person claiming to be a social worker (which isn't even an expert in the field) on the internet. I absolutely am.

>you must have misinterpreted me from the beginning

No, I understood you clearly. You said this.

>DIET EXERCISE AND POSTIVE ATTITUDE
>it doesn't cure shit

Which I proved to be wrong.

And

>real mental disease comes from your genes, and there isn't shit anyone can do about it

Which, not only is completely unsourced and if you follow up on results in a no true scotsman fallacy, with you going "Oh, they got better? They didn't have TRUE mental disease". But I also proved the claim that there isn't shit anyone can do about it wrong, as you can treat yourself quite effectively by exercising regularly.

There is a reason that literally any psychiatrist will recommend these things to any depressed patient, because we know for certain that they are effective at treating depression. You do not know more than specialists in the field.
>>
File: 1445121049742.png (55 KB, 673x501) Image search: [Google]
1445121049742.png
55 KB, 673x501
>>29767592
with what evidence?
I have found no data that says anything close to what you are suggesting.
>>
>>29767321
I have many fields of interest I've been reading up on during my sleepless nights.
That makes it very easy to ask the right questions in a conversation.
Mechanically inclined, aiming for a masters degree in engineering and may become a tycoon. Who knows.

The world is my fucking oyster.
>>
>>29767669
Try reading the thread mate, there's literally sources provided in these posts.
>>29767099
>>29767175

I really hope you're not the guy that was originally arguing this point.
>>
I beat my depression once after I felt I'd given my last fuck and got personally attacked. The next morning I felt nothing and it was incredible.

After that my mood began to elevate until I could say I yes content for a year, then my depression came back worse than ever and I had to be hospitalized.

Some of us are just broken. But occasionally the pieces rattle together nicely.
>>
>>29767620
one study does not proof provide
your sources are shit
2 studies very impressive
you still haven't shown why psychiatrists fail >50% of the time
>>
>>29767669
>Holy shit, /r9k/! I think I may be poisoned. PLEASE HELP!
"Quick, take this antidote. It helps around 85% of poisoning cases."
>Lol okay dude, where's your proof?
>>
>>29767777
Because the system is rigged, man. There needs to be unhappy people who gets to experience momentary happiness by purchasing luxury goods, alcohol and more therapy sessions.
>>
>>29767777
>one study does not proof provide

I really hope you just having reading comprehension issues anon.

See here >>29767175
Do you see where it says "A review of studies stretching back to 1981"? That says it's not just one or two studies, but many, over a long period of time.

>you still haven't shown why psychiatrists fail 50% of the time

First off, you're moving the goalposts completely out of the field here. Secondly, do you have any proof that they fail 50% of the time? Because my citations alone say that exercise or medication are both between 60-70% effective at treating depression, see here "About 60%-70% of the people in all three groups could no longer be classed as having major depression". That's with just trying one sort of therapy for the groups, and one medication. I find it hard to believe that apparently 50% of people aren't treated seeing that.

And thirdly, even if we assume it's true, mentally ill people aren't always entirely capable of following therapy properly. A depressed person may not bother doing the exercise regularly, or making a constant effort to follow the methods he's given in therapy.

But yeah, that's a completely different point to the one we were debating, and I'd appreciate if you stayed on topic.
>>
I fix it every time my mood swings heheh....
>>
>>29762323
wow you got triggered m8

not my fault life is meaningless
>>
>>29755020

>stopped wanking
>started lifting
>got a job
>went back to college
>try to do any amount of self improvement daily ie learning to cook a new food, going to the gym, bike ride, listening to an audio book or reading
>also started volunteering with a nature reserve
Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.