[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of rich sad/depressed people? there are rich
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 7
File: robin_williams7.jpg (181 KB, 620x412) Image search: [Google]
robin_williams7.jpg
181 KB, 620x412
What do you think of rich sad/depressed people?

there are rich kids out there right now who are sad/lonely & depressed
these people also use the phrase
>"Money doesn't buy happiness"

Is this just a meme?

Im not talking about people who are born into wealth, as much as i know a guy who has rich parents and was given everything in life... he always complains and seems depressed as fuck

even people who start off poor and become rich will use that same exact phrase

desu i don't believe it, but i don't believe in true happiness i don't believe happiness exists
>>
Plenty of studies show that money buys happiness up to a certain point (i.e. when all basic needs are met comfortably), but then there's no real correlation between income and happiness after that. So it's helpful certainly, but it won't provide that sense of fulfillment that people need in order to really thrive and live life to the fullest.
>>
If I had enough money to never worry about finances ever I would just buy a shit-ton of things I like/want. That would make me pretty happy. At least it's better than being poor and depressed.
>>
>>29751622
Some people have money, some people have depression, there's a small intersection.

For some people, money solves everything and they're fine. For others, it doesn't.
>>
>>29751622
What makes you think happiness is related to money in the first place? Happiness comes from a fulfillment of desires. Money isn't the solution to every desire.
>>
>>29751622
Imagine yourself in your mind as having money. After you have bought all the shit you want, you will probably go back to being miserable. Spending money really is just a distraction.
>>
>>29751622
money helps, but its effects are limited, all the money in the world isn't going to save you if you have bone cancer
>>
99% of the time, you can't be rich and depressed. Just face it. These faggots are just whining about non-issues, although sometimes they're truly fucked due to chronic diseases that will kill them soon.
>>
File: 554.jpg (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
554.jpg
6 KB, 225x225
>>29751728
i don't believe in happiness at all, im just saying if ur well off & rich you have wealth to support yourself

im poor, and if something tragic happens to me, im left to deal with it.

if a rich person is struck by tragedy he has the ability to deal with it
>>
>>29751662
>>29751728
These guys know.

Money ensures happiness in so far as the ability to purchase commodities that make your life either safer or more secure. Once these needs are met, money becomes less "valuable" to you due to diminished marginal utility. Yeah, it's nice to be able to purchase that $1000 phone or $200,000 car, but they haven't provided you with any new utility or function that a $100 phone or a $10,000 would provide.

So then you turn to customization to tailor the items you like to your specific tastes. Customization allows you to tie inflated subjective meaning to an ordinary object by making it seem as though this item is yours and yours only despite there being potentially hundreds or thousands of people with the same exact item that performs the same exact purpose, but the item the other person owns means less to you because it is customized to that person's tastes, decreasing the subjective value of the commodity if their tastes do not align with your tastes should you be given their item.

Human life can be defined in a word: struggle. Everything humans have ever done was because of a struggle or the need to persevere through adverse conditions. Money allows you to "fight" the struggle, but after a certain point you feel as though you've won and may fail to see the point in continuing on. Your original goal was to beat the human struggle and you did, but then what after that?

You can either continue as you are and continue to consume hoping to find something greater through hedonism or acknowledge the futility of obtaining more money and "check out" like these depressed people do.

It doesn't matter if the person was born poor and worked for their security or if it was handed to them at birth, both branches lead to the same conclusion.

The absence or a struggle removes the desire or need to change or evolve.

Stagnation invites a host of truths and entities into the human experience that we sometimes do not wish to acknowledge.
>>
>>29752160
Completely took the words right out of my mouth anon.

^ Listen to this post OP. He know's the truth.
>>
File: 1446437858569.jpg (96 KB, 540x619) Image search: [Google]
1446437858569.jpg
96 KB, 540x619
True happiness is a timeless bridge we find ourselves on only as often as we let go of fear.

Let go.

Allow yourself full acceptance of any situation you are in - even if you are doing all you can to change it because you must.

Put yourself where you want most to be, but wherever you find yourself, appreciate some part of it.

Happiness is awareness. Happiness is wisdom. Happiness is love.
>>
>>29752160
I used to think the universe was keeping it's secrets from me but now I believe a part of my evolution is purposely making the truths I uncover scary.

As if to know them is to die.
>>
You can be rich but feel like you never earned any of it, in which case your esteem should be low and you'll obviously feel depressed. Also being rich doesn't guarantee you a SO who sincerely loves you for you. They're unrelated.
>>
>>29752160
>Human life can be defined in a single word: struggle

Damn. The rest of your post is on point too. Nice job.
>>
I was born into a wealthy family and I am depressed. You can ask me questions if you feel like it.
>>
>>29752326
If anything it just makes you a giant target for gold digging whores.

If any of you in this thread ever become wealthy, hide your fucking status. Dress like a poor person and live in a cheap apartment, you'll save more money and won't have a giant target painted on your face.
>>
>>29752355
here's your (you) my firend
>>
File: bart laugh.jpg (16 KB, 412x445) Image search: [Google]
bart laugh.jpg
16 KB, 412x445
>earn passive income
>become neet
>never go outside
>listen to vaporwave all day and play video games whilst getting drunk
>life is fading by. Years haze together and the last 5 years have gone by in a flash
Soon I will be dead. But in the mean time I am enjoying life as best as I can.

So, yes, money does buy happiness... especially if you hate people and don't mind going crazy.
>>
Most rich people are all about selling themselves. They're like walking facebook profiles. You think they'd be honest about how happy they really are?
>>
You think it's a coincidence some of them have an opiate problem prior to becoming famous and never get out of the habit because now their income supports it?
>>
One of the saddest people I've ever met is filthy yacht rich and beat cancer.

He doesn't talk to anyone anymore.
>>
>>29752355
What are you doing with your life

replica
>>
>>29752841
I'm a student right now. My family isn't plutocrat level or anything. About 30M USD net worth. They bought me a 1.5M USD apartment to live in while I study. At the moment I am off school because of summer, and I am working for a finance company. It is a cushy internship, low hours, so I waste a ton of time. Take today for instance. I haven't done a single productive thing.
>>
>>29752160
Having the ability to challenge yourself even further, creating more goals to strive for i.e learn a new language, get good at anything you have a passion for art,fitness,dance (insert hobby here)

This is where I disagree with you, success and wealth doesn't bring an end to struggle, struggle will always be there and it's subjective

A poor person struggle is just financial, a rich person struggle is anything he sets his mind to

I don't believe in happiness in the long run either, life is short you go through phases you conquer it and start a new phase up and down like a rollercoaster

Wealth does bring comfort but it doesn't limit you so it's not the cause of stagnation

Even a poor person can be stagnant living check to check, just because he earned his check from hard work that doesn't make him automatically happy
>>
rich people seem completely happy to me, the depressed rich people are few and far between.

money buys happiness in this world. you don't need to be a billionaire though.
>>
>>29752920
Are you a loner or what's at the core of your depression?
>>
>>29753079
Not so asdfsdfkjhqfljhkqwf
>>
>>29754012
Sorry, I had a stroke.

Not so much of a loner necessarily. I have maybe 15 or 20 people I would count as real friends, and a fantastic girlfriend who is basically all I'm living for at this point. I've always just found things deeply unfulfilling. Like I'm watching a shitty boring movie where nothing means anything. I know that nothing on earth will make that disappointment in life go away
>>
>>29751622

I thinks its bullshit.

Money buys basic necessities

Money buys medicine

Money buys recreation

Money buys friendship and romance, and i dony just mean prostitutes and gold diggers

Money can absolutely buy happiness, and anyone who says otherwise is trying to perpetuate a bullshit meme to make themselves feel better about being poor.
>>
>>29752112
this desu

very high net worth individuals can get away with so much shit. they can hire the best legal aid and can simply flee to a private villa in a foreign country if anyone threatens them

they have the best healthcare and can access it anywhere in the world

fuck the rich
>>
Money could not bring him back to life. :(
>>
All of my "friends" are well off and seem pretty content with their lives. i.e. have good jobs/internships, in healthy relationships, have good future prospects. I on the other hand still live with my mother, have dropped out of college, and will lose my house within the next year. Oh, and I have been diagnosed with depression and all those other delightful mental maladies that are associated with it. So yeah there does seem to be a connection.
>>
>>29754120
>something tragic
You can't stop there though.

A poor person makes it their life's work to not be poor, forcing themselves to change to avoid being poor.

A person born rich is involved in scandals because of the fact that they are rich. If you are wealthy as fuck, there's no reason to change. The only way a wealthy person can change is after experiencing a dire set of circumstances, even if they have to "invent" the problems like buying into a shady deal or corruption.

Humans, on a biological level, are constantly seeking change. The "something tragic" is an agent of that change.

The event in question is something entirely subjective to the individual.
>>
File: 1462066710545.jpg (73 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
1462066710545.jpg
73 KB, 1024x576
>>29754031
Oh, hey, how's it going doppelganger?

Truly the worst depression is the one you get despite having the "perfect" life.

It's like every day I live is a Seinfeld episode. Unfulfilling and pointless.
>>
>>29751622
They arent sad.
They just psyche themselves out for attention and become a meme.
Then they cant handle becoming this self-made meme of failure and kill themselves.
They never had any problems in the first place.

I wish I had tons of money. Shit I could do anything if I had money.

Oh man im soooo depressed.
How about I just stand up and leave and go do something I want to do and throw money at anyone's faces and do it. Nobody turns down money. If you do, Ill just ask another person who will gladly take your place.
>>
>>29754296
Truly is the rarest feel on this board.
>>
>>29751622
Depression and suicide are less common among the rich and powerful. Suicide is most common among unemployed single men. They have no safety nets and when the going gets tough it's bye bye world
>>
>>29752920
>2 years of experience needed for entry level job
>have to be 30m net to accomplish this

So I imagine you are finally qualified to be able to wash dishes for minimum wage?
>>
>>29751728
>>29752160

sad first world being

You are example why western civilization will collapse.

Money gave you your meme depression and emptiness.

If you were in different place where everyday is a fight or even in undeveloped country where paying bill from shitty 100h/week job with 100$ salary /month you would not have this kind of thinking.

You are not able to appreciate what you have. Fridge full of food, enough money to pay the bills, house with pool and free time alot of free time.

You could do something to make your life bigger, better, achieve something.
Rich kids has no reference to real life, they live in semi-virtual reality. For example, teenager start that was trying to an hero, several millions on account, whole life to live and health, yet they are trying to suicide because of some kind of meme reason.

top kek
>>
it gives a tiny bit. you can spend money on stuff and be happy until your at a lost when you need some friends.
>>
>>29751622

Robin williams didn't kill himself because of depression. He killed himself because his brain was rotting and he had dementia and often didn't know who he was.
>>
depression isn't the same as unhappiness.
>>
>>29754362
I don't follow what you're saying exactly? I have a job that I'm qualified for?
>>
>>29751622
Money does by happiness but it does not cure apathy or boredom from a person who wishes to intentionally be apathetic or bored. It's like people who choose to be happy when they're impoverished but vice versa.

t. Someone who used to be rich, was poor, then gained more money again
>>
>>29751622
I like to believe robin williams figured it was time to come clean to the hollywood pedophile rings operating underground. So he decided to link together a list of names and such to take them to court.

but Dan schnieder (pic related) caught on and sent guys to blow his head open, with a shotgun.
>>
File: 1391552422083.gif (354 KB, 352x288) Image search: [Google]
1391552422083.gif
354 KB, 352x288
Money does buy some happiness, or at least gives you more time to focus on things that make you happy. People who say money doesn't buy happiness are probably the same ones reblogging other 'b urself' level phrases on FB.
But if my family has shown me anything it's that nice cars and vacation homes won't stop the little green men from whispering to you when you decide you're doing okay enough to stop taking your pills.
>>
I'm completely certain that I would still be depressed if I was rich. I would buy my own house in the middle of nowhere, buy a mountain of drugs, and I'm sure I would feel exactly the same.
>>
>>29754296
why don't you try helping individuals out?
for instance, you could help me. i had a shitty minimum wage job in order to afford insurance so i could get my hand fixed from an accident a year ago and ended up fucking my back up and losing that job so now i'm even poorer with a ton of student debt (graduated top of my class LOL NO JOB PROSPECTS) and no i'm not a fucking art major i'm CS, going on 4 years without a job in my field. get tons of interviews too. If this next interview doesn't pan out i'm probably gonna run out of money and lord knows what i'll do then.
>>
>>29752160
tl;dr Life's a bitch then you die

This is why you gotta work on things. Build things, create art, get interests. Help people or whatever. Why does Hanz Zimmer keep scoring several films a year? He could just stop now and live comfortably for the rest of his life. But he won't, because he's been playing music since he was a kid and it still excites him to this day.

In a way i kind of understand the members of ISIS. They're fighting for a true cause that means something to them, us westerners would love something like that.
>>
The accumulation of money beyond what is needed for food, shelter, and safety is merely a meaningless surrogate activity serving to fill the void in the disrupted power process inherent to modern technological-industrial society
>>
>>29754433
>If you were in different place where everyday is a fight or even in undeveloped country where paying bill from shitty 100h/week job with 100$ salary /month you would not have this kind of thinking.
>You are not able to appreciate what you have. Fridge full of food, enough money to pay the bills, house with pool and free time alot of free time.
It's not a problem of not appreciating what we have, even poor people can do this. It's about living a life that is not engaging.
>>
>>29754296
>It's like every day I live is a Seinfeld episode. Unfulfilling and pointless.
This. I temporarily moved back in with my step dad who earns upwards of $300k a year, paying no rent, starting a job myself that pays decent, and my life right now could not be any less fulfilling. All I do is go to work and get dragged along shopping for shit nobody needs. The shit these people care about is completely absurd. I don't know how much longer I can stand to listen to someone explain to me their logic for parking their car in a specific place so it has the least likely chance of being damaged by some completely unlikely scenario. My parents call me all the time and have absolutely nothing to say but the most mundane shit. "I went to the store today and bought food." "It was raining today so I didn't go outside." I have never met people who talk so much without actually saying anything.
>>
Being rich / poor / middle class doesn't really matter as far as mental health goes. Whatever class you're in, even if you change classes, you get used to it. It takes less than a year most of the time. You might grow up thinking going to Olive Garden means a special occasion and top-tier food, then after a year of being rich you're complaining about a meal at a 5 star restaurant because the place across town makes it better.
>>
>>29751622
>>29752112
Think of it like this: a poor person is far more likely to be screwed over and become depressed because of 100+ things happening around them.

But a rich person's spouse can cheat, a rich person can be extremely shitty at social functions, and a rich person can be addicted to drugs, or alcohol, or possibly so wrapped up in their own hobbies they fail to realize they're driving friends away. If anything, a rich person is a little more able to fuck themselves over with excess (albeit they DO have the means to get help).

So while a rich person probably won't be depressed because they can't afford something they really need, they can be fucked over because of things that can't be bought, or from being able to afford too much.

The saying shouldn't be that money can't afford happiness, it's more like a rich person has a larger shield against problems, but sometimes the arrows still hit, or come from behind. Humans are still dicks

(Also of course hormonal imbalances and depression not caused by circumstances, but those are fairly treatable and I don't believe you were talking about those anyway)
>>
>>29754433
>I'm so enlightened because my response is literally "THINK OF THE CHILLENS IN AFRICA"
wow
>>
>>29756469
No. It's the complete opposite, poor can get sad, but not depressed.
>>
>>29751622
The entertainment industry is shady and corrupt as fuck.

You don't get famous without literally slobbering on Shekelbergs cock.

It's well documented and why child actors always turn to drugs.
>>
Money is to a human what a bunch of treats are to a well behaved dog. You're still in captivity.

The game will need to change for life to be worth it.
>>
>>29751622
Before my father died (he worked for some kind of mafia) you could say I was rich, I remember when I was around 6 or 8 he paid the most beautiful girl in my school to be my gf, needless to say, she didn't love me, and confessed everything when some dudes betrayed him, and killed him.
Now, I'm not exactly poor, but I work hard for my stuff, and I'm very happy.
>>
>>29757014
wait your father died so you could get a girl to prom?
>>
>>29756963
are you implying pet dogs are unhappy that they have owners lmao?
>>
>>29757108
nah he just paid a girl to be my gf when I was a kid, kiss, hold hands etc.
>>
neet here who WAS rich.

It's a cycle of suffering to be wealthy, if you have everything you wan't more.

But suddenly there isn't anything more to buy which could make you more "Happy"

Then start with retarded hobbies that drain your money, every month another one.

You met bitches, but they are mostly sluts and are just going for your money, no real love, never.

You just end up depressed after all these parties and events, because it's everytime the same. over and over again.

Nothing new.

You see no real purpose in life anymore.

It is the same with my father, he got neetbux all his live, fucked my mother created me and got bored got himself another women.

God damn piece of shit.

Is never happy when i ask him, always fights with his bitch, he is kinda sex addicted, has different hobbies every month etc.

He seems to be lost in wordly desires, too much to choose from, too much time.

Rich people don't need to really fight for survival, they just live like a fly on endless shit.

Im not that rich anymore, but i have a house, car, everything i need.

It's hell, actual hell, wordly things, material things will never ever give you real happiness after you are used them since your childhood.

That's why i got into spiritualism, meditating etc, helps me.

Nothing on this world can give us happiness, real happiness is in the moment, in 'god'.

Feeling it, living for it, for the moment, is now my only goal, to achieve that, to live not anymore just for my monkey desires.
>>
>>29752160
>you gotta struggle guys
>struggle

where were you when /r9k/ became the epitome of human experience
>>
>>29752160
no pain no gain bruh, know what im sayin?!
>>
> but i don't believe in true happiness i don't believe happiness exists
ow the edge.
>>
File: 1447040379400.png (766 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1447040379400.png
766 KB, 1280x720
http://iws.collin.edu/pbrown/ENGLISH%201301/Aristotle's%20Ethics%20Happiness.htm
>>
>>29757452
dank meme bro mind if i save it
>>
>>29754296
>It's like every day I live is a Seinfeld episode
that is a great analogy
>>
>>29751622
If I were Bobby Williams I would have died in an interracial BDSM public orgy.
>>
I think life is a fight against boredom. The more money you have the more stuff you can buy/ places to go to entertain you. I think sad rich people were already really sad/ they have a mental disease. If I was rich I could think of things to do constantly to keep myself from boredom and feeling sad.
>>
>>29756614
He is talking about shitty upbringing, not comparing to the poor. Our parents has this conception that we should not experience the life struggle by granting our wishes during our upbringing, but that can also happen if you are "too good" for their challenges.
>>
>>29754326
>They never had any problems in the first place.

Having problems or not has nothing to do with depression you moron. If you have heaps of problems with your life and are extremely unhappy with it, that's a completely normal reaction, anyone in your situation would feel that way, you're not mentally ill for experiencing that.
>>
>>29754296
>*cue bass line*
>>
Depression doesn't give a shit about how much money or material possessions you have.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.