[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any bots ever been to therapy? I'm thinking about scheduling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1467048537190.jpg (58 KB, 962x541) Image search: [Google]
1467048537190.jpg
58 KB, 962x541
Any bots ever been to therapy? I'm thinking about scheduling an appointment
>>
>>29747682
Yes
What do you want to know
>>
>>29747682
I just got back from an appointment, do you have any questions OP?
>>
>>29748331
>>29748185
>>29747682
Not OP but I am curious. Do you just talk or do they ask weird questions? Do they make you get meds? Are they unintentionally condescending. Please give details, I am interested and have many questions.
>>
>>29748376
It depends on the therapist. A good one will direct the conversation in a productive direction, ask questions to determine your diagnosis, ask questions to help treat your symptoms, and offer advice or suggestions about your situation depending on what you're suffering from. That's the basics. When therapy is involved, their participation depends heavily on the kind of treatment. I have done a LOT so if you have any questions about specific therapies I'd be happy to answer them.

Psychiatrists exist to give you medication. If you are seeing one, you are primarily there to be given medication to treat whatever you've been diagnosed with (either by them or another doctor). Psychologists frequently work in tandem with psychiatrists, and they keep each other informed about your condition and what meds you're taking to treat it. You should NEVER feel like you're being forced to take meds- it is always voluntary, and if you are not comfortable with a medication, speak up and say so. You are your own advocate, you control what goes in your body.

I've been to some very poor therapists who were absolutely condescending, intentionally and unintentionally. If you get someone like this, drop them and find someone else. You should feel respected and treated fairly by whoever your therapist is. A good working relationship with them is the most important factor in getting better.
>>
Don't do it. Shrinks are useless and it's just a plain terrible idea.
>>
For years. About to leave for my guy right now.
>>
>>29748490
Forgot to answer part of your question:

>do they ask weird questions?

Sometimes. It may be something like "do you ever feel as if someone is watching you" or "do you ever see or hear things that aren't there"- questions that serve to determine your diagnosis and what your specific problems are. There are some bad therapists out there that will take advantage of the vulnerability of their patients, and ask about things like your personal life or sex life. If you EVER feel uncomfortable answering a question, you have every right to say so. If they press the issue, leave and don't go back. A good therapist respects you and your boundaries.

>>29748526
I thought this for a long time until I got in contact with an actually competent psychologist and psychiatrist. They've saved my life, anon. Good therapy can be the difference between nonfuctioning misery and functionally being on the path to recovery. And I'm not suffering from something mild like general anxiety, I've got some hard fucking issues to deal with. The only time it's a terrible idea is when you don't have the luxury of choosing your therapist and get stuck with someone who's a bad fit, in which case you're better off not seeing anyone at all.
>>
Never. Therapists are a bunch of fucking normalfags, I don't want to tell them shit.
>>
>>29748490
>You should NEVER feel like you're being forced to take meds- it is always voluntary, and if you are not comfortable with a medication, speak up and say so. You are your own advocate, you control what goes in your body.

This is important, glad he said this.
I only take anti-depressants, but my doctor never ever asked me if I wanted to switch.

"Yeah, 2 months on these and I get the shakes, anxiety like crazy and constant suicidal ideation."

"Oh, that's unfortunate."

Gotta speak up if you want to try something else, never forget that.
>>
>>29748570
And you'd do well to never see one if that's your attitude.

A shrink isn't a mindwizard, anon. They can't look at you and know "this guy has x problem, time to y it away" or something.

I told my shrink day one that I had substance abuse problems and thought I'd never be clean. Cooperated fully, total honesty.

Not quite clean, but I no longer need to drink or take painkillers daily. I still take pills recreationally, but can go weeks without them. I'm happy, I wake up and take on the day, I feel better than ai ever did while self-medicating.

It was hard, titration is a bitch and at times felt like insanity. Full-on psychotic episodes, detachment from reality, tics, memory issues, speech issues.

Then one day I woke up and felt human. It's not the easy way, but it's worth it if you want to take a step forward.
>>
>>29748570
I feel this way usually

>>29748566
Thank you for answering

I have thought about going but I don't because I think my problems are very simple but they affect me deeply. I have a job and I guess normal life but when I'm home by myself I have crazy thoughts that I couldn't explain I guess even to a doctor. I refuse to take meds bc I think it would be easier for me to just be 'cured'. Never been harmful or very paranoid or anything. I know i'm 'weird' but the strange thing I do sometimes I find comfort in.
>>
>>29748877
Check'd the double dubs

Is it just paranoia? Mind elaborating a little?
>>
bumping a pretty decent thread

somehow this wasn't original
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.