[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Productivity General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 11
File: Productivity General.png (465 KB, 1000x600) Image search: [Google]
Productivity General.png
465 KB, 1000x600
Productivity General

>Start programming, revising, reading, writing, cleaning etc.
>Post about what you're working on
>Get encouragement from other anons
>Feel good about yourself once you get tasks completed

Starting is always the hardest part, you can do it!
>>
File: 18115trsytudyfkughl.png (607 KB, 865x561) Image search: [Google]
18115trsytudyfkughl.png
607 KB, 865x561
>>29744713
I'm continuing to learn Java to create Android apps.

Everyone open their compilers and get started for the day.
>>
File: yujutyjkytj.jpg (15 KB, 152x206) Image search: [Google]
yujutyjkytj.jpg
15 KB, 152x206
>>29744775
These threads start slow, but once people arrive, they tend to stay for hours.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1467410126990.jpg (55 KB, 600x916) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1467410126990.jpg
55 KB, 600x916
I have a lot of stuff in my to-do and to-learn list, but I can't get motivated.
How do you do it, man.
Like, fuck.
I wish motivation was a physical pill I could swallow.

Also, the most productive thing I've recently done is I started jotting down my dreams first thing in the morning, and I can honestly say it helped.
Today was the first day in 5 years when I actually remembered a dream, all thanks to writing it down.
>>
>want to start learning keyboard
>have to wait for brother to get a new one so I can take his old one
I'm gonna make it guys
>>
>>29744713
I'm reading Great Expectations for pleasure. Averaging about 100 pages a day. I replaced vidya and watching vidya streams (most embarassing) with reading. I'm on the 4th book this year.

I'm also studying for the GRE and I need to finish the next lesson, they're piss easy so it's no big deal.

Today I'm meeting my PI to get some instruction on wtf I'm working on in his lab. I'm feeling pretty directionless and I need to start working on an abstract and presentation but I'm not sure what the narrative is going to be.

Shopping for a bike sometime this week and starting to lift (sometime this summer). I'll probably start lifting tomorrow when my vacation is over, not sure about the bike.
>>
I started practicing juggling just for fun, and I'm pretty good at it with 3 balls, gonna try 4 sometimes... I also plan on studying Swedish but I'm really lazy since it's summer right now...
>>
I'm 9% fluent in German according to duolingo and I read books. That's about all I currently have the energy for
>>
>>29744979
Keep jotting them down! I don't have the will power to write first thing in the morning. I managed to do it for a week, and I had several lucid dreams because of it.

Pick the most interesting/impactful/fast reward thing from your list, and just do it right now.
Clean your desk anon. Start small.
>>
>>29744987
Can you read music already? Watch a few tutorials and get a head start before you take his old one c:
>>
File: thenewgermans.jpg (849 KB, 3570x1680) Image search: [Google]
thenewgermans.jpg
849 KB, 3570x1680
>>29745036
Nice anon, keep up the good work.

>>29745002
Wow, how did you make the transition from vidya to books? I've tried but have't managed to do it

>>29745021
Summer's the best time to show off your skills. Go to the beach and juggle topless to get mad pussy
>>
>>29745160
Wow, how did you make the transition from vidya to books? I've tried but have't managed to do it

I've been getting bored with video games for years. No games interest me and some actually make me more stressed when I play them. I started by forcing myself to read for 20 minute intervals then I would browse 4chan or play some game. I upped the time I spent reading daily until I was spending more time reading than playing games.

I got bored with television and movies too. They just stopped giving me satisfaction and I would skip through most of it. Eventually I just decided to switch to reading because even if the story wasn't interesting I was at least expanding my vocabulary. Reading and not playing games or watching tv or movies has also made me more coherent and I can think about abstract ideas more clearly and come to conclusions about them faster. I don't know if the last point is accurate or if it's just an illusion but I feel good after reading.

I also write walls of text more often.
>>
>>29745104
Yeah I was in band in high school so I can read.
>>
I'm training my memory.

I memorized pi to 100 and managed to remember an entire deck of cards.
>>
>>29745295
I'll have to try it. Just starting slowly.

Did you notice any change in your ability to speak or listen?

I'm zoned out a lot of the time, so when people talk to me, I'm a second or two behind what they're saying, so I don't understand. I just smile and hope they're not expecting more of a response.

I'm also slow af at talking, whereas I wasn't as bad as a child when I would read non stop
>>
I've spent many years studying privately, about many different topics. Whilst that's been great, I'm completely mathematically illiterate and have no clue where to start. I don't care so much how difficult it is, I'm a fast learner, so resources would be appreciated
>>
>>29745416
Pretty impressive. Do you have any goals like card counting?
>>
>>29745468
No, not even sure how that works. Care to enlighten me?
>>
>>29745416
that's not training, that's autistic
>>
>>29745451
I don't talk much so I'm not sure about this.

I haven't noticed any changes in my listening abilities but I am more articulate when I speak. I think I also talk less and choose my words more carefully to fully express my thoughts.
>>
File: guumodus.jpg (66 KB, 960x627) Image search: [Google]
guumodus.jpg
66 KB, 960x627
>>29744713

>Wanna learn to draw
>Wanna start calisthenics
>Wanna improve my culinary skills and know-how

Too much to do, i hope i don't have a burnout
>>
>>29745521
Why would that be autistic? People waste countless hours rote learning or just forgetting important information. I train my body in the gym and my mind when I'm not there. Seems like a good use of time since it saves more time and makes me feel superhuman.
>>
>>29745460
I'd just search google for some high rated books. I don't know your level of education, so start at an age range you find appropriate.

Buy a few books, and work through the questions. It's the best way to learn.

Good luck anon
>>
>>29745557
>want to learn how to draw
only if you really truly want it anon, otherwise it gets boring quick. you really have to play through the pain because you're gonna suck for at least 2 years.
>t. failed artist
>>
>>29745516
I don't really know myself.
It's about memorising which cards have been played to give you a small statistical advantage.
There's about 7 decks of cards at once, so it's pretty difficult.

>>29745533
>I also talk less
I went to Pizza Hut last week with a group of people I'm going on holiday with.
I said hello, then sat in silence for 90 minutes whilst everyone else was joking and chatting.
>>
>>29745587
Don't worry, i'm not gonna be an artist
>>
>>29745571
remembering a deck of cards makes you feel superhuman. that's the definition of autistic
>>
File: 9hGgcSg.png (612 KB, 700x950) Image search: [Google]
9hGgcSg.png
612 KB, 700x950
Why do human beings need to be productive anyways? Why is every fucking normie nowadays going on about their productivity and getting "le productive hobbies". Fuck this meme.
>>
>>29745663
Have fun with alzheimers
>>
File: tgergeger.jpg (30 KB, 1000x328) Image search: [Google]
tgergeger.jpg
30 KB, 1000x328
>>29745663
oh shit, you're actually right
>>
>>29745610
>I went to Pizza Hut last week with a group of people I'm going on holiday with.
I said hello, then sat in silence for 90 minutes whilst everyone else was joking and chatting.

I don't really do this, although I don't get out much and when I do it's with a group I can easily talk to. What I meant was that instead of babbling, pausing, and trying to explain something in one or two paragraphs worth of talking I can communicate an idea in one or two sentences.

I'm able to keep up with banter pretty well so maybe I'm just a normalfag who has stumbled a few times.
>>
>>29745687
hate to say it, but told you so.
>>
>>29745761
Thank you for the clarification.

Maybe if I'm more confident in my ability to string a sentence together coherently, I'll talk more.
>>
I really want to make music and while I'm getting closer to realising that dream I'm still a way off.

I do little things here and there but I never work consistently towards my goal.

I've been playing guitar for almost a year now and while I'm much better that when I started, a lot of time has been wasted. I don't practice as much as I perhaps should and when I do practice it often isn't as effective as it could be.

I'm also doing a little bit of keyboard on the side, trying to pick up from where I left off when I quit it as a kid. I also want to learn production so that I can record and mix my own stuff.

My theory knowledge is very much insufficient for where I want to be at and is holding me back at the moment.

At least I have a good idea of where I want to be though, but I'm a long way from there and the motivation to get there is sorely lacking.
>>
File: valkyrie111114444uuuuu.jpg (2 MB, 1009x1432) Image search: [Google]
valkyrie111114444uuuuu.jpg
2 MB, 1009x1432
drew this. kinda angel/seraphim
>>
>>29745959
i really like your style, anon
THIS IS AN ORIGINAL COMMENT
>>
File: 1457700278958.jpg (39 KB, 797x957) Image search: [Google]
1457700278958.jpg
39 KB, 797x957
>want to learn Japanese
>no motivation so I always stop

>want to learn programming
>no motivation since I don't know what programs I should write
>>
>>29746099
What's your end goal with programming?
To make websites, games, phone apps, etc.

The problem I found with learning to program came from following generic guides that taught you a little bit of everything, but not enough in the topic you wanted to learn, to make anything useful.

Tell me a little about your ambitions and I might be able to help you.
>>
>>29746148
I want to be able to write desktop applications. The problem is just that I have no idea what kind of applications I could make since everything I need already exists.
>>
File: whatamidoingwithmylife.png (515 KB, 518x512) Image search: [Google]
whatamidoingwithmylife.png
515 KB, 518x512
>>29745959
I like it anon, keep up the good work
>>
I finished my exams for the year and I'm free til late august
I'm gonna be wageslaving and working out but between that I'd like to get started on some basic coding
where can I find some html courses? I was thinking codeacademy since a friend recommended it
>>
>>29745959
>there are people this talented browsing r9k right now
great job anon, this looks amazing
>>
>>29746197
I have no experience with desktop applications. It seems like you would have to work within a company to make anything substantial. Only small niche applications are made by a single person.

If you're practising, start by doing something really simple. Make a basic MS word or excel clone etc.
If you have no ideas of something original, look through your desktop or start menu, and make simple versions of what you already have.

I'm learning Android apps, as they're rather easy, and small and manageable enough that I can create them before I lose interest
>>
>>29746300
Alright, thank you Anon. I'll try to find some motivation.
>>
I want to get into programming, where can I start? I once made some shitty website with Notepad++ but thats it
>>
>>29746226
>>there are people this talented browsing r9k right now
Talent doesn't mean shit when no one acknowledges you.
>>
>>29746370
If you already know some HTML and CSS, I'd start learning JavaScript. You can create in browser games very easily. JS is a very rewarding language, as you can create graphics almost immediately.

Once you're familiar with how a language works, you can translate the skills to other languages a lot quicker.

https://www.youtube.com/user/thenewboston/videos
Has some good tutorials. I tend to only follow halfway through the series, as the first half is essentials, and the second half is niche stuff I will never use.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Games/Tutorials/2D_Breakout_game_pure_JavaScript
This guide gives you everything you need to know about creating simple 2D games. However I'd suggest getting familiar with the basics of HTML, CSS and JS first.
>>
>>29746538
https://www.codecademy.com/learn/javascript
>>
why do you guys bother

what's your endgame here
>>
>>29747612
Pass the time and maybe make a bit of money so I'm comfortable before I die. Same as everyone on Earth.
>>
I have a guitar sitting in the corner of my room collecting dust. I wish i could be dedicated enough to actually learn to use it.
>>
>>29747673
Learn to play the Simpsons theme song
>>
>>29745295
i like this plan

i'm going to implement it myself starting tomorrow
>>
>>29745295
Personally I would not say I am getting bored of video games, but I am noticing it has gone from being a hobby to a mix of habit, a way to pass the time and addiction. Over the years I have perfected my focus when it comes to playing for long periods, and as such I end up with the 'flow' until suddenly bedtime is close.

I know I want to stop, but it is tough, since I only do what I want to do in the moment. I am pretty weak when it comes to such things.

I think I will stick around with these generals, as I believe they could encourage me to try spending at least some of my free time on something I consider to be productive (learning something new, get better understanding of something, create something etc). Thanks.
>>
>>29745675
You know when you go to bed and you just feel like you never really experienced anything at all that day? That is how being unproductive feels for me. It is a terrible feeling.
>>
>>29745959
This is really good anon, it has a unique style to it. Would love to see you experiment more with different angles, especially with the head.
>>
do you guys have schedules or maintain logs of what you accomplish through the day?
>>
>>29749004
I kept a log of everything for 8 months during my gap year.
It's really useful if you can stick to it.
>>
>>29745959
goddamn anon. this is super neat.

how long have you been drawing?
>>
>>29745416
start memorizing poetry, anon.

I've memorized Kubla Khan, The Tiger, and The Destruction of the Sennacherib. People are legitimately impressed.
>>
>>29745959
find it hard to believe you actually did this because of how good it is. If it really is original than you are pretty good.
>>
Wrote a song for the first time in weeks. Thirsty for more.

>>29746226
People keep their work to themselves as it's stupid to tie r9k to your real identity
>>
I'm gonna start reading Big Sur by Kerouac. Will report back in 30 minutes or so.
>>
>>29751685
Have original fun anon
>>
>>29751685
Reporting back. I'm about 1/3 of the way through. Listened to a couple Eno albums along the way as well. Cracking open Ableton Live now and breaking out my Launchpad to play with sine waves for the night.
>>
i got bored a few days ago. i had a couple messed up guitar cables, so i watched some soldering videos on youtube, then went out and bought some soldering stuff to fix the cables i have. i'm probably going to buy some stuff online to make custom pedalboard cables now because the ones i have on it aren't ideal. i also desoldered a broken input jack on a pedal and need to get a new one now
>>
>>29745036
>according to duolingo
>I'm 9% fluent in German

You're not even 5% fluent when you finish the entire tree.
>>
>>29745675
"Productive" really is the most meaningless buzzword of the 21st century

It's become a synonym for "normie appropriate activities"
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.