[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Attend high-tier university, a stone's throw beneath
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: 1466278331922.jpg (26 KB, 640x637) Image search: [Google]
1466278331922.jpg
26 KB, 640x637
>Attend high-tier university, a stone's throw beneath Ivy League
>Finish second year with a 3.0 because smoke weed pretty much every day, sleep through class, only show up for exams in non discussion based classes &c.
>Parents say I have an "executive function learning disability"
>Really just lazy, not very smart, and smoke too much
>Get sent to summer program to work on my learning skills
>"It'll be kids like you, you know, kids from Dartmouth and Tufts and Wesleyan who haven't done as well as they'd have liked to!"
>It's really a program for kids with autism
>and not 4chan meme autism, honest to god real autism
>Stuck in rural Vermont for four weeks with a brigade of retards

How do I stay sane? I have to spend 5 hours a day being condescended by "professors" teaching down to a sub-community college level and I'm about to lose my mind. I miss being in a city instead of bumfuck nowhere, I miss mentally competent company
>>
>>29742803
Tell me the school anon.
Stanford?
Notre Dame?
Vanderbilt?
Duke?
>>
>>29742831
Emory
>>
>>29742897
You don't have to take that shit man. If you can't go back until you complete that BS, just transfer to an elite public school like UofM or UT Austin. Even though there's shitloads of normies there you'll be ok. Those degrees still hold a lot of weight.
>>
Jesus Christ your parents are dicks

Tell them you are coming home and just sit in your room till the school year starts, don't do that stupid shit

A 3.0 is fine
>>
>>29742950
I got into UMich in my high school application round, but I don't think with my current gpa I can transfer and be accepted to a school of comparable quality to my current school. Unfortunately, finishing this program is a requirement for my parents' contribution to my continued education.
>>29742987
I explained to my father that this program was for actual retards, but he just told me
>oh you haven't given it a chance!
>even if it is, you should see what you can get out of it!
>there must be other kids there like you (I saw a list of the other main universities of students here; the only ones I'd even heard of were Alfred University and Miami of Ohio)
>>
>>29742950
Not OP but I go to Vanderbilt and I feel like my degree won't be worth shit outside of the South (where I don't wanna be post grad). I'm a Chicagoan so I wanna go back.
>>
>>29742897
>emory
Literally who
>>
>>29743028
Don't. Vandy degree is no doubt a top 15 degree. INTERNATIONALLY recognized.

I would give my left testicle to go there. Stuck at a medium tier public uni.
>>
>>29743028
OP, I'm from New York and I know a lot of people go to Vanderbilt at least from my area, I can't imagine they would if the degree didn't have non-regional value -- I wouldn't sweat it
>>
File: 1465410847413.png (177 KB, 316x321) Image search: [Google]
1465410847413.png
177 KB, 316x321
You're in college and your folks send you to camps? C'mon man, you're a free man. Just leave. Spend your summer smoking pot, and start working out to practice your determination. Establish a regulated smoking schedule.
>>
>>29743054
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Emory
>Emory University is currently ranked 21st among national universities in the United States by U.S. News and World Report and 90th among global universities in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings.
>>
>>29742831
vermont state u
>>
>>29742803
maybe you are autistic but you just didn't notice yet?
>>
>>29742803
Columbia Masters reporting in, what are you studying OP? Your degree likely won't mean shit in this day and age anyway. An Ivy League School is almost always a networking program, the education isn't magically better than a state school.
>>
>>29743107
History and Political Science with a focus on Middle Eastern topics. I'm also learning Arabic to increase my marketability and doing a program in the spring to study in DC and do an internship in the area, maybe DOJ
>>
>>29743132
wtf OP you realize that no matter where you are humanities are a bad bet right? Especially if you are already a junior and you don't have any internship experience
>>
>>29743181
>implying I don't have other internship/work experience
>implying it even matters what you major in
the STEM meme is just that -- a meme. I appreciate the concern but I'll be fine.
>>
File: never an option.jpg (61 KB, 498x510) Image search: [Google]
never an option.jpg
61 KB, 498x510
>>29742803
>brigade of retards
A brigade needs a brigadier, anon.
>>
>>29743089
>only slightly better than exeter

are you sure this retard class isnt your uni?
>>
Mid-level public uni here, it has one of the best nursing and business programs in Texas so I don't give a fuck about the namesake. I am a high school drop out so I am just glad to be in a non-community college.
>>
>>29742803
Good story, OP 10/10. It's 4 weeks, that's nothing. Imagine doing a life sentence for murder. This is just a walk in the park.
>>
>>29743181
Columbia anon here, ignore stem memers. My brother worked in DC and has similar credentials to you, he is doing just fine. Make sure you use as much time as you possibly can meeting people, shaking hands, sending follow up emails, arranging cups of coffee with people when they're in town, and that sort of thing.

Depending on your specific field of study, i would also recommend writing small essays in areas that interest you politically. I graduated in May, and spent a lot of time working on a handful of papers that were important to me. I showed them to a professor who was leaving to go to another program, and she is trying to convince me to go with her to do a PhD now. I'm not sure if in dependant research like that carries as much weight in your field but if it could, work on your personal writing/critical analysis skills and find someone who you can shoehorn into a mentor position.

Finding a person who can mentor your work is HUGE today, as it's basically a dead paradigm. If you can get in with someone like that, it will take you really far.
>>
>>29743240

Whoops, meant this
>>29744719
For you, OP
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.