[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Get shit done with friends
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 19
File: grtehroh.jpg (49 KB, 642x547) Image search: [Google]
grtehroh.jpg
49 KB, 642x547
Productive General

>Be productive with other anons
>Post pictures or text of what you're doing
>Be nice and supportive

Get out that text book, or open up that document! Get to work, you'll feel better about yourself!
>>
File: trfiujo.jpg (57 KB, 630x546) Image search: [Google]
trfiujo.jpg
57 KB, 630x546
>>29729469
I'm learning Java 2D game development.
I'm following guides, and annotating every line as best I can

I want to be able to create android games and apps, and hopefully I'll have my first one made within a few weeks.

>Pic is the same as the OP, but without my screen filters c:
>>
File: 18115reahtjrsydtkuj.png (560 KB, 719x406) Image search: [Google]
18115reahtjrsydtkuj.png
560 KB, 719x406
>>29729469
Here is a picture of my desk
I now have an ASUS 1440p monitor there aswell, but I haven't taken a recent picture

This thread wasn't created at a very good time, as most anons are asleep/too tired to work.
But this general received 200 posts a day when I had it going last year. I'll make an official OP picture and create it during the day.

It's just nice to share progress, and have some company when being productive. The main thing stopping me from getting more done is lack of a social break.
>>
File: IMG_20160704_213321837.jpg (541 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160704_213321837.jpg
541 KB, 1280x720
My vacation just started but i also plan on doing some more programming
I need some good project ideas though can be anything
>>
What's the best way to apply what I've read about in programming?
>>
>>29729886
Make something thats always thr best
>>
>>29729886
make something cool and simple that interests you
>>
>>29729886
Project Euler
/r/dailyprogrammer
>>
File: 1367085937613.png (70 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1367085937613.png
70 KB, 400x400
I wish someone would teach me how to use game maker language
>>
Right now I'm reading. I guess in a while I switch to that Unix book I am lso reading, and then I'll do some C. Either follow that C book a bit or read that tutorial on packet sniffers I bookmarked yesterday.
>>
File: world shfjhgkhl.png (70 KB, 1894x894) Image search: [Google]
world shfjhgkhl.png
70 KB, 1894x894
>>29729798
>>29729886
Are you programming to learn, have fun, or make money?
Also what language(s) do you know?

The best way is to think of a small application that sounds fun and just go for it. If you get stuck, search google for help.

Mentally go through your day, and think about every activity, and try to create something based off of that.

>>29729982
I don't direct people away from your threads daddio, I'm going to have to fuck you up son

>pic is my attempt at drawing the world. I know it's bad, but I'm trying to learn geography
>>
>>29730006
I used to do it 10 years ago. Things might have changed wildly but I can try, ask away
>>
>>29729982
Project euler aint that good imo

>>29730026
I like programming and i want make my job out of it
Im still in school though.

The languages i use are mostly web shit
HTML, CSS, JS, PHP, Java, C#, C, Python
>>
>>29730006
are you the same guy making these same posts on /agdg/?

seriously you're only procrastinating by saying you need someone to teach you how to code. just look up tutorials until you're good enough to make a simple game on your own.
>>
File: serdtyguhijok.png (2 MB, 950x861) Image search: [Google]
serdtyguhijok.png
2 MB, 950x861
>>29730006
What type of game do you want to create anon?

Games for computers, iPhones, Android, xBox etc? Once you decide, you can find a suitable programming language.

I started with HTML, CSS and Javascript. It's so easy, and you have instant rewards from doing it.
With these languages (inb4 html isn't a language), you get interesting text, layout, images and games very quickly. Whereas with other languages it can take a lot longer to get something substantial on the screen.

>pic is my year 12 electronics project
>that cable management tho
>>
>>29729469

That pic has to be b8. Have you heard of "self commenting code" OP?
>>
>>29730009
Good for you anon, keep up the good work!

I brought myself so many books, but when I was in the mindset to read, I had just started antidepressants.
They caused me to forget each word as I read them. I would read a sentence 100 times, and still not know what it meant.

I'm off them now, keeping a positive mental attitude to stay happy. It's worked for the past few months.
>>
>java 2d
>not libGDx
>>
>>29730115
I haven't posted in /agdg/ in a week but maybe I made a post like that a few times. Honestly can't remember. I know I'm making excuses and should try harder
>>
>>29730157
I have not. If self commenting code is code that comments itself, I do not want it.

The point is that I'm trying to understand and add the comments myself, to improve my learning.

My pic is an example of obvious code that doesn't really need comments, but it's the most colourful part, so that's why I posted it
>>
>>29730026
Programming to learn and have fun. I like the idea of being able to create something that suits my personal interests.

I want to build a musical scale builder that tells me the notes in a selected or customized scale.

I just have no idea how to approach it, really. My intuition tells me I'll have to make use of Arrays and a tostring onject (looking into Java, btw).

I also wanna build some games, either puzzles or rpgs.

Gonna go to sleep soon, as I got 2 hours last night.
>>
I'm currently following the Brackey's guide on how to make a survival game in unity because I started it one late summer so I didn't get very far but it was enjoyable so I wanted to finish it at some stage

Now I'm picking it up again and once I finish this tutorial I'll likely try my hand at the others

I'm also finding it fun looking for solutions to my problems as the tutorial was made for unity 4 so I have to find ways around the differences of unity 5. I'm enjoying the extra challenge
>>
>>29730179
libgtx looks interesting, thankyou for the suggestion anon

I found a guide that starts with the basics, eg. what is a class, what public, private, void means etc, and goes straight to game development.

I've only used Javascript previously, and I can make the type of game that I want on Android, but not in Java. Hence the 2d java.
>>
>>29730230
Sounds like a challenge, I'm into audio analysation right now, but I have no idea how you would do that.
I've made a few visualisers in Javascript, and being able to distinguish between notes would make it a lot more interesting than the basic features I've been able to get
>>
>>29730280
If you're that basic into java then yea stick with that.

But when you start getting more experience you should move onto libgdx
>>
>>29729526
>Java
>game development.
pick one
>>
File: 1427410773777.png (12 KB, 407x412) Image search: [Google]
1427410773777.png
12 KB, 407x412
I'm listening to some impressionist music while I read this book on contemporary music theory. It's pretty good. I'm thinking up all kinds of cool ideas for some songs I want to write.

After I finish this textbook, I'm gonna read a book this avant-garde composer, Xenakis, wrote. Judging from the index it looks pretty interesting. There's stuff in there about stochastic techniques and meta-philosophies of music.
>>
>>29730613
I want to create apps for android, for which java is used.

I have neither the artistic skill or patience that requires anything Java isn't suitable for.
>>
>>29730682
Sounds surprisingly interesting. What sort of differences would you see in the music you plan to create, post reading this type of literature?
>>
>>29730824
Well, usually every chord a musician uses, especially for rock and pop music, has been built up by strings of third intervals. Like, for example, a standard major chord is a major third and then a minor third on top. But there are lots of other intervals you can make chords out of too. I've thought up a few different tunings for my guitar so that I can play chords made up of seconds, fourths, and fifths.

I've also learned a bit about polytonality, which is where you've got two different keys playing at the same time. I'd like to play around with that.
>>
>>29730924
I'm genuinely intrigued, I've got to learn to play an instrument one day, it must be amazing to create something good.

I could probably play the keyboard as good as Dr. Dre, but that's not very hard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CL6n0FJZpk
>>
File: 20160705_025742.jpg (204 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
20160705_025742.jpg
204 KB, 1000x750
Thanks robot for remiding me to get back to my programming... this desk is making me depressed.
>>
>>29731100
Yeah, learning an instrument is very rewarding. It's pretty much the only thing I've got going for me right now. There are loads of basic music theory books out there. I started learning when I was like 15 or so, from reading this book that used Beatles songs to teach some simple harmony and melody analysis. I think it was like "Songwriting Secrets of the Beatles" or something. It was pretty helpful because you could listen to the songs and see what the author was talking about.
>>
I'm writing a normiebook clone but with lots of encryption and privacy shit. I saw Telegram was sucessful and squeezing some shekels out of people, so why not try to do the whole social network? I'm thinking of targetting teen Chads and Stacys that want to hide shit from their parents, then move out from there.

Got a fully stateless API designed and implemented for all the basic features (post message, post image, send private message, make friend request, send friend request, follow, check messages, etc...), with full correctness tests. Working on the UI and have now gotten bogged down with asshole CSS\HTML shit. I can sort of make it look fine if I have Javascript manipulate the DOM, but holy balls is that slow. Have to admit, I am losing interest.
>>
>>29731183
No problem anon.

Now, as you're reading this, grab every can and piece of rubbish from your desk, and your plates and take them downstairs and put it into the bin.

Right now, anon. Stop reading and do it.

Okay. Put everything that you will not need to use today away. It will only take 30 seconds.

Also straighten up those papers on your wall c:

Your desk is now the cleanest it's been in over a week.
Well done anon! I'm proud of you
>>
>>29731570
Don't give up anon, it's a good idea.

CSS and HTML is ezpz once you get used to it. External CSS is the key. Get a general theme going, and each page is 100x easier to create.
The first few pages are always the hardest, keep at it!

Think how much pussy Mark Shekleburg could be rolling in if his Jewish parents wouldn't disown him for lewd behaviour.
>>
>>29730173
T-thanks.
I'm happy that I've been getting back into the habit of studying, sometimes I feel like that, in which I have some trouble reading, and I go over a single sentence a few times. Even if I understand it at a glance, I somehow feel like I should actually read it, and go word through word feeling I'm not getting it, it's strange.

Also I think I'll need to stretch my productive time, because, today for example, I just felt ready to start reading, and I won't likely get time to read those books on korean, german, real analysis, and Go.
I should try and not overwhelm myself either.
>>
File: fresh start.jpg (613 KB, 2000x1500) Image search: [Google]
fresh start.jpg
613 KB, 2000x1500
>>29731578
You actually motivated me to get my shit together. 4 AM cleanup feels awesome. Now I just need to get the rest of this place together, and we're good!
>>
Anyone here have any experience with neural networks? I'm trying to make a program that will allow me to scan for the amount of a certain thing on my screen.
>>
>>29731874
Don't think you need to implement a NN for that, to be quite honest with you. Be more specific and I'll try to help.
>>
>>29731903
Well, the thing is, I am actually just trying to learn neural networks, and I get them in general, but I have no idea how to use a neural network to analyze an image.
>>
>>29731867
Yo, that desk is 10/10. Where to cop?
>>
File: 1435812038524.jpg (19 KB, 388x392) Image search: [Google]
1435812038524.jpg
19 KB, 388x392
>>29729469
I need to finish a 10-12 pages semiotic analysis in 9 hours and i havent even started yet, been browsing 4chan for the last 2 hours and jerking off.

I NEED TO STOP PROCASTINATING HELP A BRO ROBOTS
>>
>>29731867
Good job! Your desk is looking amazing.
I want your computer chair, mine's all tatty and the sponge is falling out. What brand/model is it?

Your enthusiasm and picture has motivated me to clean my own desk and room.

Run your hand or something over your desk to get rid of those tiny bits of stuff, and straighten that picture, it's bugging me :3
>>
>>29731940
Apparently it's called the LINNMON / ALEX at IKEA.
>>
>>29730355
Well, it wouldn't listen to notes and tell me the scale (although machine learning would be the best way to go about doing such a task, imo).
I wanted to be have a drop down list of the 7 musical modes(Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian, and Locrian) and put in a root note, then have the program return all the notes in a selected mode for that root note.

I though I could also create a scale customizer, by having the user input where they want to have half or whole steps.
>>
>>29731975
>Open everything you need for the analysis
>Finish jerking off. Open your hottest saved webms and get it out of your system if you have to.
>Close all irrelevant tabs
>Open a window, get a glass of water
>Just start writing, even if it's crap. Just snap out of the procrastination phase.

Good luck anon, you can do it.
>>
>>29731653
Thanks for the encouragement. There's just so many special forms and gotchas that frustrate the academic circlejerker in me. Like, there is so many things I can get to work with !important, but I know that's not the right way, and I don't know why it works. And templating in Python is rather tacked-on. I definitely understand the appeal of PHP on this issue.

>>29731874
I wrote a recurrent NN that trained topologies that would learn the fastest with a genetic algorithm, and used gradient descent for learning for a term paper once. An NN is almost definitely not the tool for the job here. Never the less, ask me things if you want.
>>
>>29732049
where can I learn to make a nn specifically for recognizing images?
>>
File: 20160704_205517.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160704_205517.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
>>29729469

I'm actually having fun
>>
>>29732074
>where can I learn to make a nn specifically for recognizing images?

You were born with a nn specifically for recognising images.
It's your brain anon.
Have faith in yourself.
You don't need a program, you are perfectly capable.
Believe in yourself, and you will achieve greatness.
>>
>>29731934
I'm sure there are plenty of resources online.
The way I did it (depends on your language, some support OOP which I believe works well with NNs) was create an object for each 'neuron', made an array for the entry points, an array for each hidden layer and an array for the output nodes. All of them pretty much were the same thing:
They had an array of their input nodes in the previous layer, and they all responded to the input by just storing it in a sort of queue (for if two inputs were sequentially entered from the same node, each would represent input from each step), then when all the input points were ready, they'd all be popped (or shifted if you like that term better), passed through the sigmoid function, and send the output to each of the output nodes listed in an array.
I remember the worst part was the boilerplate of making the layers and giving them the array of all the input/output nodes for each. Even when I automated it kept feeling that, had I made it less general, I could've avoided boilerplate.
>>
>>29732102
Good for you!
Ask your mum, or next time you're shopping, get a lined or graph squared exercise book, it will help neaten everything up.
Although I do understand the appeal of everything being raw and packed closely together. It looks much more impressive.

I have two of those beasty 1500 page text books I want to work through. I dropped out of my physics degree, but still want to learn it all.
>>
>>29732074
That's an entire field of research (computer vision). Determining if a picture is or isn't something is a bit easier than classifying it among many tags (look at https://booru.guhnoo.org for an automatic tagger for anime images that was trained on Danbooru). There's usually a non-NN filter to separate out the important features from the unimportant, then that feature data is sent into the neural network. The training set is used to adjust the weights until all or most of the training set where you know the classification already is classified correctly, then the same process is used for any images you wish.
>>
>>29729798
I started out by making something like a minimalistic image viewer, it's simple and useful.
>>
>>29732262
This actually helped a lot, thanks. I realize now that if I can reduce a picture to a few numbers by filtering out the details, it would be much easier to train a neural network.
>>
>>29732190

When I do shit that I need to read later I use that.

I appreciate anybody who isn't totally soulless about their field. It's good that you would learn things even if you don't get a grade out of the deal.
>>
>>29732174
I did my hidden layers as a graph, divided them into sets, attached each one to every node in the next layer, attached the input and output nodes, then ran a topological sort on the entire graph for each input, merged the lists by first occurance, then executed in that order. No manual wiring up the network. Network generation became slow as balls, but there was no graph traveral during operation, since the scheduler had a reference to each node, and each one queried the value of it's inputs rather than had it set.

>>29732322
Be careful with that though. Researchers once tried to classify tanks and trucks. They got an NN that did it, but when they showed it to the military, the military realized that the NN was only classifying bright pictures from dark ones, since the tank photos were taken on a sunny day and the trucks on a cloudy one. They were humiliated and AI research lost all of that sweet cold war funding, and the entire field was a laughing stock for the entire world for several decades. (Really, it's called the AI winter.)
>>
File: a2Funnd.png (21 KB, 511x325) Image search: [Google]
a2Funnd.png
21 KB, 511x325
>>29729469
>it's one of those "the function call would be so retardedly long if i combined everything into one line so i separate the inside into temporary local scope variables with shitty names" days
>>
Like OP I taught myself Java out of nowhere as a challenge and I have decided that I want to work with android studio, so I can create basic apps not just devote all my time to a game. Would love to make a living by developing apps of my own or just working from a cheap shack in Mexico creating little bullshit apps online
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-07-04_22-18-37.png (672 KB, 1920x1980) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-07-04_22-18-37.png
672 KB, 1920x1980
Just a college assignment for webdev pajeet class. I hate PHP so much.
>>
>>29732505
It sounds like such a comfy career choice.

I plan on making maybe 50 little rip off apps, and any unique ones along the way.

I have an idea that could be huge, and it can be implemented into a huge amounts of games. It's like the innovation of the Wii using motion control (although it's nothing to do with motion).

I want to saturate the market with my idea, and bring out a huge amounts of simple games in one go, rather than people steal my idea and add it to their games, before I can make more.

I'm going to make a basic framework, and just have the logic changed for the games, so I can churn them out within days.

That's my masterplan, and I'm very excited c:
>>
>>29732577
I'm gonna word this carefully but: That.... could be done... in a not-so-ugly fashion anon.
>>
>>29729469
i wish my IQ was high enough to learn programming, looks interesting and i wouldnt mind making a few bucks off it
>>
>>29732501
I enjoy that sort of thing. Making something otherwise unreadable readable.

Looks complex though anon, I wish I could understand it all.
Maybe one day

>>29732577
I can't tell if it's because of the programming language, or native language that makes me sad when I read all of that

Keep up the good work though anon. Make your teacher proud
>>
>>29732577
Change that to an else-if structure, then die() at the end. Or, maybe don't change it to an else-if structure, but die at the end anyway. That would alert for all non-set fields at once.

Also, just because the field is set, doesn't mean that it isn't empty.
>>
>>29732781
anyone can learn programming. it's like drawing a map to show someone where to go, you just have to learn the key of the map first, and that's pretty easy too after you learn it once.
>>
>>29732735
I know, every time I try something "clever" or more elegant with PHP I end up with a mess of bugs and wasting a ton of time trying to fix it, I just things it as easy and dumb as possible to avoid crashing the clumsy elephant. Last night I lost about 3 hours because for some reason PHP casts booleans to string as "1" and "" instead of "true" and "false" like every other language.
>>
>>29732781
if (anon_can_read & anon_can_follow_instructions) then
programming_should_be_easy
endif
>>
>>29732903
if (anonCanRead == true && anonCanFollowInstructions == true) {
programmingShouldBeEasy = true;
}

It's like you're not even trying anon
>>
>>29732897
> Last night I lost about 3 hours because for some reason PHP casts booleans to string as "1" and "" instead of "true" and "false" like every other language

Uhh, no 0 and 1 is also what other languages will store bools as. However, the IDE will allow you to use true/false, but you can't count on that working with every language.
>>
>>29732897
Both dynamic and weak typing are the devil's temptresses. PHP happens to be both.
>>
>>29732959
>not knowing that there languages besides those inspired by c/fortran that use if statements
end your life immediately
>>
>>29732959
True is not necessary here. It is assumed by the compiler that if left unspecified, the default is true. Boolean logic would suggest that this should be common practice, right?
>>
I've suddenly lost the desire to build my Mordheim terrain. I guess it's because of the lack of people to play it with, but I'm hoping to start back at it.
>>
>>29732781
https://www.youtube.com/user/thenewboston/playlists

Follow one of these playlists. It's ezpz
>>
>>29732959
programming_should_be_easy = anon.can_read && anon.can_follow_instructions

>>29732967
well python does it that way, I assumed PHP did it too. But since PHP is a "web language" meant to be embedded into HTML maybe casting booleans to string that way makes sense
>>
>>29732996
You are partially correct. "(x == true) == true <==> (x == true)". That's the boolean algebra, default has nothing to do with it. It can be no other way unless the compiler is assuming that "false == true".
>>
>>29733060
Thanks for explaining that. Boolean algebra is next year, so I just assumed it was compiler default. Thanks anon!
>>
>>29732996
>i wish my IQ was high enough to learn programming

if (IQ >= 100) {
programmingIsEasy();
} else {
giveItAGoAnywayNigga();
}
>>
>>29733141
Gee, thanks for quoting me in that. I already make my living of off freelance programming.
>>
>>29732991
;;; Lisp
(defun faggot-p (anon)
(if (makes-assumptions-p anon)
(get-some-helium anon)))

I hate that indentation isn't presserved in these things and we dont have [ code ] tags do we?
>>
This thread is a lot more comfy than the pretentiousness in /sci/.

Also, can someone post the Carly Kloss images of her failing at programming? They always make me laugh
>>
File: Zijq0SO.png (36 KB, 532x900) Image search: [Google]
Zijq0SO.png
36 KB, 532x900
For any assembly programmers present, do you prefer your syntax to be Intel or AT&T? I've always liked Intel better because it just seems cleaner to me, but I'm definitely willing to listen to opinions from the other camp.

Pic related, some kernel code from the calculator operating system I'm developing in my free time.
>>
>>29733160
>>29732781
I quoted the wrong person, lol, sorry anon
>>
>>29732959
I wrote it for anon to be able to read it without asking why there were two ampersands
s/programmingShouldBeEasy = true;/give_it_a_try();/
also
>camelcase
ishygddtftlogpmis
>>
>>29733214
actually as a regex golfer, lemme rephrase that s//ful
s/^\wp.*;$/give_it_a_try();/
>>
>>29733214
If he can't understand it because of the ampersands or camel case, anon is correct in his assumption that his IQ is too low to learn.
>>
>>29733035
Casting specifications are always arbitrary. It's a mapping between two unrelated sets. The number 1 will never equal the string "1" because the number 1 doesn't equal the array [49, 0]. There is no right way to evaluate that expression.

>>29733121
:3

>>29733161
>common lisp

>>29733202
Intel, hands down. There is no reason to clutter everything up with so many %. FASM syntax is even nicer. AT&T syntax is only used because GNU's NIH syndrome.
>>
File: 1467619556411.jpg (27 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
1467619556411.jpg
27 KB, 500x332
I'm leaning C#

Having trouble getting from knowing the basics to being able to pick a program I want to make and make it.

I keep switching between tutorials, help.

I got Essential C# 6.0. Going to try and stick to it.
>>
>>29733324
wow
next you're going to say Scheme is a lisp
then what, Ruby is a lisp, amirite?
>>
>>29733161
only /g/ and /vg/ have code tags afaik
>>
>>29733349
I ran into that problem maybe 10 times.
I would complete a tutorial series, then get stuck between the beginner and intermediate stage, unable to make the jump.

I have no resources to send you, as I don't know C#.

I bridged the gap by learning Javascript first. It's so easy, you can do so many things, without being restricted by anything too difficult or a strict syntax.
>>
It's 5 AM. Glassware is picked up at other persons house now... waiting till 8 AM for u haul to arrive with my shit, and then I'll head to bed... What to do in meanwhile?

Context. I ordered 2 moving boxes worth of chemistry glassware. No, I'm not a meth cook. Chemistry (and programming) is my hobby.
>>
>>29733444
What to do in meanwhile?

Learn to cook meth
>>
>>29733358
Scheme is the most comfy Lisp. How can you call it a Lisp when it doesn't even require tail call optimization? I want to tell the compiler what to do, not how to do it. It's just a procedural programming language that happens to use s-expressions.
>>
>>29733499
Thing is: I do really value the freedoms. And also chemistry is also a rather looked-down-upon hobby by the general population and soccer moms, no need to fuck shit up for everyone who enjoys this hobby.
>>
>>29733349
It's hardest to start, within the first 2 months of school doing computer science i thought i was lost, i thought for loops were some kind of magic and i would never understand... but once you master the very basics (data types, variables loops conditional statements functions/methods and objects) the magic is gone and it gets so easy to figure out how basically anything was made.

keep at it bro.
>>
>>29733349
Also don't just try to follow some guy on youtube making something, go out and look up the things i mentioned and understand them in your language and then do the youtube program tutorials.
>>
>>29733522
>How can you call it a Lisp
>It's just a procedural programming language that happens to use s-expressions.
how do you call then a language with a single namespace, both in symbols and globally?
Without a complete standard that actually lets you do shit?
How can you call it a lisp if it doesn't even have lisp macros? (syntax-rules is just a pattern-matching rewrite)
It's a toy language that happens to use s-expressions

Yeah I bet you're just mad because you're too dumb for several namespaces
>>
>>29733617
but hey, if TCO is the defining quality of a lisp, I guess C is a lisp too , huh?
>>
>>29733202
I don't really give a fuck
Intel is nicer, yes. But I can read both I have no problems. And many programs output AT&T syntax by default, like gcc -s, I haven't figured out if you can change the output syntax in gcc.
>>
>>29733748
the only problem is that sometimes I read intel syntax backwards, because in AT&T:
op src,dest
and in Intel:
op dest,src
>>
>>29733617
>how do you call then a language with a single namespace, both in symbols and globally?
Which just makes it ambiguous when passing functions as variables.

>Without a complete standard that actually lets you do shit?
C also has a very small stdlib. You won't get very far without calling into windows.h or unistd.h. There is no consistent support for cross-platform threading, for example. But none of that stops C from being able to get things done. The ability to do everything with the standard library is overrated and unrealistic. Everything depends on external libraries.

>How can you call it a lisp if it doesn't even have lisp macros? (syntax-rules is just a pattern-matching rewrite)
Those aren't part of what makes a Lisp.

>It's a toy language that happens to use s-expressions
An s-expression that perfectly matches the AST that the compiler will generate. The grammar is so simple it can easily be implemented and manipulated with little effort and code. Common Lisp has many hacks and special forms. Being more complex doesn't make it better.

>Yeah I bet you're just mad because you're too dumb for several namespaces
Calm down, Anon. Let's take it easy. There is no need to make this personal.

>>29733640
C does not require TCO.
>>
I'm trying to make some musical "creation" game type thing, in browser, but I can't figure out what languages and stuff to use. I've done a lot of programming before so that's not a problem, I just have no idea where to start to learn what I need to learn.
>>
>>29733748
gcc -S -masm=intel input.c
>>
File: 1283625918847.jpg (71 KB, 528x384) Image search: [Google]
1283625918847.jpg
71 KB, 528x384
>>29732577
good fucking god m8 i'm pissed and disgusted at the same time

you can literally condense all that shit
look at everything that's repeating
now isolate the varying parts of it
DELETE THE SHIT THAT IS THE SAME

keep it simple
>>
>>29733862
Best practices don't work with me and PHP. It's simpler that way, stupid simple.
>>
>>29733823
In the browser is always Javascript (the programming language) for the logic, and CSS (styling and positioning of elements that are on the screen) and HTML (defining what elements are on the screen) for the presentation. You can use other languages that will compile down to Javascript or CSS, but they are hardly worth it, and you'll need to know JS and CSS anyway.

All of this is executed in the browser. I've found that Brackets is a nice IDE for web shit.
>>
>>29733849
thanks.
veggie soup
>>
>>29733901
well I understand PHP is pretty shit but you can only blame the language so much

here's a refactor i'd do, pretty easy and not much can go wrong;
- put all those $_POST variables inside an array
- if you wanna be fancy, nest another array inside and add the error message along with the $_POST variable. Maybe even a custom validation for that variable only
- loop through the array and check if the current index isset ( add more checks too )
- if it's not, pop it's corresponding error and die()
- that's it
>>
>>29733936
thanks dood
this will at least help me get started
>>
>>29733818
>The ability to do everything with the standard library is overrated and unrealistic
not *everything* but at least *something*

See, I like to actually use my language. While it is true that a lot of the functionality is provided by external definitions, CL provides at least enough (along with read macros to ease implementation-dependent bits) to reuse code between implementations. Scheme is nothing but a standard, CL is an actual language.
TCO is done by default by most compilers, including C compilers, so there's no need to keep it in the definition. But when you want to debug your code and the bug is in a recursive function, non-tail calls can be a blessing.
Also, if macros are not too important in lisp, why use lisp then? It's main defining quality is homoiconicity, and what good does it serve if you can't take advantage of that, letting your code write itself in flexible ways?

lately my captcha has been stuff like 665 and 421 lol
>>
About a month and a half away from starting my senior year in a Networking and Sys Admin major. Bought the book i need for my VoIP 1 class early, just need to actually find the motivation to read it. It's like 400 pages so maybe I'll do like 3 or 4 pages a day? I want to git gud at VoIP. I'm jealous of you guys who are good at coding, I can do it and understand it, but it fucking takes me forever to do things and my algo's are always disgusting.
>>
>>29734431
keep it up anon.
Don't give up. As I read somewhere: the bookmark will be moving slowly, but you'll be making some progress every time.
The BSD book I'm reading is about 1100 pages long. I'm halfway through chapter one. But I too want to git gud at my trade so It's okay
Remember that mastery is a function of time.
And I don't really do much coding either, C is kinda painful, but I cope with understanding everything that happens, for I rarely actually *need* to write code.
>>
File: 57180816.jpg (215 KB, 500x514) Image search: [Google]
57180816.jpg
215 KB, 500x514
>I'm mid 30's and just starting to learn how to program
>can barely get together a website
>css leads to enormous frustration because it seems simple until things start going completely out of whack and nothing lines up how I want it to
>feel like an old man who was too stupid to learn this when I was younger and I'll forever be playing catch-up
>mfw I'm fucking computer retarded
>>
>>29734522
Are you trying to learn Unix admin stuff? I always thought that Linux was a cool kid meme until I got to college and realized it is so much better.
>>
>>29734556
>some people lose the will to learn past the age of 30
>Most people your age forever stay computer retarded
I started coding a few years back. I'm 25 now, which also feels old for someone to be a novice programmer, but I'll git gud and in 5 years people will look up to me.
Never late to learn, you're just in time.
>>
>>29734567
Yeah. Administration, Networking, security.
I'm learning how the whole architecture is put together.
>>
>>29734660
I have a bunch of security and admin, but I'm focusing on networking. I'd get a bit of all three, then pick one to focus on. They all can get really fucking deep and you'll need to pick one to focus on for a job anyway.
>>
>>29734748
Yeah, I'm thinking security. It actually spans the other two subjects to some extent, and gives a sort of big-picture view of it all.
And it pays well.
>>
>>29729469
>>29729612
>>29730102
stop polluting the job market
>>
File: SZPjHwz.jpg (271 KB, 1560x2048) Image search: [Google]
SZPjHwz.jpg
271 KB, 1560x2048
>>29735124
a mediocre, wage-oriented drone
You don't stand much of a chance anyway, it's full of indians already.
But you can still find a position as a codemonkey.
>>
>>29735124
>>29735314
You posted me twice

I don't want a job. I want to live the neet lifestyle and make some money from apps

Your wage slaving job is safe pajeet
>>
>>29735523
You're not the first person who though about that. Have fun starving to death.
>>
>>29735537
I come from a first world country, pajeet.
Even if I wanted to, it's impossible for me to starve to death.
>>
>>29730123
Nice looking breadboard. What does it do tho?
>>
I read a non-fiction book a week to learn. Over one hundred pages a day mostly, never less than fifty a day.

I am an animal when I have something to do that I care about... otherwise I require severe inspiration.
>>
>>29736823
how do i force myself to sit down and read? It's the worst most tedious thing ever.
>>
>>29736858
Read things that interest you deeply. If you want to 'get' interested in something, read something related to it that is entry level to gauge if you actually are interested in it.
>>
>>29736858
Also, I will add: You probably spend hours a day reading this site for whatever reason and you take almost nothing from it I am certain so with reading books, you are learning things, useful things.
Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.