[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>graduated from a masters program at a top 5 school in my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: 1423713465375.jpg (184 KB, 794x794) Image search: [Google]
1423713465375.jpg
184 KB, 794x794
>graduated from a masters program at a top 5 school in my field
>still can't get any interviews 1 month later
>every open job position requires 3-5yrs experience minimum
>Don't even get called in when applying for positions that only require a high school degree "with preference for candidates with postsecondary education"
>mom complains that I'm being lazy and 'not willing to start at the bottom' in a position that makes LESS money than the unskilled manual labor that I was doing before my education

Why is this job market so fucking ass? I went into my graduate program to dodge the last bad job market and it's still fucked.
>>
>>29729336
>Why is this job market so fucking ass?
new world order planned this. you are the first of a new class of indentured servants.
>>
1) if you were intelligent enough to finish college in a top 5 school, you should have been intelligent enough to see this shit coming.
2) Internships/apprenticeships while in school = two birds, one stone
3) god damn people still think that college is worth shit
>>
>he fell for the college meme

there's a shortage of manual laborers way 2 go OP.
>>
>>29729383
I interned in the city mayor's office and the state senate, I got paid for both of them but it was less than I made laying sod and weedwhacking.

>>29729392
I can't do manual labor forever, the little injuries are already starting to build up.
>>
Sounds non stem related. You're fucked m8
>>
>>29729473
I do light industrial work, make 19bucks n hour own a house idk what to tell u man up
>>
>>29729473
keep doing it until someone notices you. that's when you know you're doing it right, and that's when you start getting paid.

that or suck some mean dick. sounds like you're in the type of field that needs it.
>>
>>29729336
What the fuck is your field? Public policy?
>>
You'll make it but you're gonna have to suffer for a few years. Sorry but it's the truth
>>
>>29729336
Don't you fucking whine, there are people with no college degrees or even high school diplomas which are clearly far more fucked up than you.

Yet you have a masters and still have the guts to whine about your life? Search better you fucking cunt. Get an internship or move to another country if it's really that hard for you to get a job in your field, but don't think you have the right to whine as a college graduate of all things.

Unless you went for a liberal arts/humanities degree you CAN'T WHINE. SEARCH FOR A JOB HARDER YOU SHIT.
>>
>>29729482
>>29729541
This. Also, which country?
>>
File: 1465956739878.jpg (7 KB, 231x218) Image search: [Google]
1465956739878.jpg
7 KB, 231x218
If you're in a euro country, time to pack your shit and move
>>
>>29729336
Didn't you make any connections in college? If not, you wasted your time and money. Nepotism always holds more weight over merit
>>
>>29729336
shit pretty fucked right now fampai, you can only really keep appyling until something comes up. Should reach out to your schools career services center for help, they are actually pretty helpful.
>>
>>29729657
It helps, but is not guaranteed job. I had family members who worked in the same field that I was trying to get into. Didn't help me at all.
>>
>>29729541
Public Administration.

>>29729657
I have like 200 people on my linkedin and a third of them are basically in the same boat.

I should note that so far the best offer I got was an unpaid position with a local city that MIGHT go up to a minimum wage position in next year's budget. She looked insulted when I said I'm too old and too educated to work for nothing. I'd rather be a NEET than the equivalent of a janny.
>>
File: 1466792764340.png (32 KB, 657x527) Image search: [Google]
1466792764340.png
32 KB, 657x527
>expecting a job with no connections

it's worthless
>>
>>29729791
>and too educated to work for nothing
Should've got that job, put in good work and build connections.
>>
>>29729888
No
That was obviously a lie, almost all unpaid internships are a scam
>>
Have you thought about teaching? The first year will likely be the worst of your life but it gets so much better in every way.
>>
>>29729791
enjoy NEET life. you're entitled to nothing. i've always said that if i had a business, you cunts that were stupid enough to in-debt yourself for college would be the last ones I hire
>>
>>29729791
>I should note that so far the best offer I got was an unpaid position with a local city that MIGHT go up to a minimum wage position in next year's budget. She looked insulted when I said I'm too old and too educated to work for nothing. I'd rather be a NEET than the equivalent of a janny.

You'd be getting paid in experience and social capital. It's a shitty deal but it was the one you were given.
>>
>>29729336
higher education is a cruel meme. Instead of humping 4 years and tens of thousands of dollars into a piece of paper you should be doing that manual shit. Build a network, make friends and gain experience.

if you can step up in your 20's with 2-5 years experience under your belt you've got a massive leg up over unibot with his crushing debt
>>
>>29729336
>at a top 5 school in my field

Why do people always try to make their university sound impressive? Unless you go to one of the super good ones in the US or Oxford/Cambridge, there's no point in boasting about how good your shitty university is.
>>
>>29730171
I dont' think he was boasting. "Top" schools generally are recruiting grounds for major employers, which should have provided OP an edge.
>>
>>29730210
If it weren't for his inferiority complex, he wouldn't feel the need to say "top 5 school"
>>
>>29729888
I fell for that meme twice before, I've worked in the state legislature, I am facebook friends with a dozen state representatives. I am on a first name basis with the mayor of my hometown and know virtually everyone who works with the city.

It doesn't necessarily help. At least I was paid for those positions. I am not going to work for a full year in a bumfuck town for a chance at maybe getting paid minimum wage thereafter. The city has maybe 40 employees total.

>>29730092
>in debt

I'm stupid, but not that stupid. I paid as I went and am debtfree living on savings with my mom atm.
>>
>go to cc
>study nursing with qt bitches
>$30/hr starting
>shitpost all night because it's a psych facility and there's nothing to do but charting
>>
If no one will employ you in your field, the only reasonable solution is to make your own job.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.