[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Programming thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: hack da planet xD.gif (441 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
hack da planet xD.gif
441 KB, 500x500
Is it possible to immediately make a living programming online? I've been programming for 4 years now, and I would call myself decent. I don't have a degree though. I know freelancing is ridiculously competitive and almost impossible to get into, so what are the alternatives?
>>
>>29725926
Let's do this probots
>>
>online
for what purpose?
why not just be a contractor?
like are you scared to go outside or live in africa?
programming now is like 60% talking to people getting requirements and checking testing goes okay
>>
>>29725926
I have actually had this idea since I was a kid. Was wondering is any probots knew how. With AI technology advancing recently, we will probably be able to soon.
>>
>>29725926
>Immediately make a living
>kek

Here are my thoughts:

>Find good hentai artist
>Start making quality hentai games/animations
>Set up a Patreon

You'll now get tons of people begging you to make stuff with their waifus - never ending business.
>>
>>29726504
Just look at Nekopara. That shit's hilarious.

No ban faaaaagggs
>>
>>29726468
>why not just be a contractor?
>like are you scared to go outside or live in africa?

Well, basically the following:
>constantly anxious around people
>can't respond well
>hate being in strange environments, especially formal enclosed spaces, because they make me anxious and sweaty
>despise the commute that can take up a chunk of the day if you don't work close by

I also just want to program on my terms. I want to pick my own hours, and not be forced to work from 8 to 5 with some asshole dictating exactly what I have to do, and when I have to do it.

>>29726491
What does AI have to do with working from home?

>>29726504
Out of the question.
>>
>>29726468
One of the most demoralizing things about programming: Non-programmers understand nothing about what you do; they think you should just be able to wave your magic wand and add/change whatever they desire. Doesn't even matter how vague or poorly thought out their idea is.
>>
>>29726721
>Thinking you're too good to work for one of the biggest industries in the world.
>>
>>29726721
>I also just want to program on my terms. I want to pick my own hours, and not be forced to work from 8 to 5 with some asshole dictating exactly what I have to do, and when I have to do it.

Make games or something for app stores, slap some ads or microtransactions on them. There is a lot of competition, but you might be able to eke out a living.
>>
>>29726832
>too good
If you're talking about the hentai, it's because I know nothing about game development, so I'd have to learn a lot first, including math which would take me a while.

>>29726875
I thought so, but I can't even draw a stick figure, and I haven't delved into GameDev yet.
>>
freelance programming is dead m8

Pajeets and collegebabbies took every "job" from us.
>>
>>29727104
>Implying hentai games require months of intricate programming.

You've been programming for years, you could pick that shit up in a month, tops, and be shitting them out faster than the artist can draw the lewdness.
>>
>>29727270
how would I make one then
>>
>>29727342
mot him but look up some decent game engines for your platform of choice, make some practice projects using the engines language/interface and then get started.

Google would be a good place to start and Unity is a decent game engine that's also free I think. The learning curve is a bit steep I've heard, but it's also really popular so there should be tons of tutorials.
>>
>>29727342
>Basics of Flash
http://www.kongregate.com/labs
>Shit out some basic game that rewards you with pics after every level

>Move on to a dating sim, or a VN if you've got a good idea for a story - use Ren'Py or something.

>After that, grab Unity (plenty of tutorials on YouTube) and fuck around with evolving the Hentai game genre.
>>
>>29727525
Well if I don't have to make it from scratch like using SDL or even OpenGL, then that's a different story. Obviously I could pick up a dedicated picture-based game engine within days. If, however, I wanted to go full-autismo and start from something as "low-level" as OpenGL, then I'd require quite some practice (although 2D shit in OpenGL seems to be pretty simple and doesn't require much math).

That being said, I followed like 2 OpenGL tuts a year ago so I have no clue if what I said even makes sense.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.