[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Learning martial arts alone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: jujutsu.jpg (402 KB, 1796x1800) Image search: [Google]
jujutsu.jpg
402 KB, 1796x1800
I've always wanted to learn some eastern martial art but I can't join a club or train with a group or anything. My autism is too strong.

I'm sure some of you lonely weebs here have the same problem.

What do? Is it possible to learn with just videos and a sparring partner?
>>
>>29721624
I was sparring boxing with a trainer for 6 months this year, till I hurt my shoulder. The progress I made was unbelievable, compared to just training alone. Nothing beats the real thing. I think my shoulder is starting to get better, I want to get back at it. Fighting is the cure for robotism.
>>
>>29721670
Hmm, how did you get a trainer? And how did you train alone?
>>
>>29721624
In my opinion, sadly no. I haven't trained a martial art for a long time, only did some kickboxing for a month or something a while ago but lost interest. So many times did I think I was doing something correctly only to be corrected by the teacher and realize how wrong I was doing the specific move. Same thing with fencing, trained for a year and I needed a bunch of months to get my footwork to be good.

Can't you find some small club / group to train in? They're usually tight-knit and welcome newcomers warmly. I highly doubt they'll make it tough for you because you're socially inept or whatever. If they do, they can fuck off and you can find a better place.
>>
>>29721722
I looked up a boxing gym in my area, and they offered one on one training. Boxing was something I always wanted to do. Training alone meant working out on the heavy bag, shadow boxing, skipping, body weight work, cycling, running, getting injured, recovering from injuries.
>>
Classes for most martial arts are too expensive for me. You need to get a job or something.
>>
>>29721733
Oh. This is what I was worried about. Solo practice being impossible to get good with.

I'm sure I could find a small club in the city but that's 40 min away. Also it's scary as fuck to meet a bunch of new people and join a group and stuff, even if they're nice.
>>
>>29721670
I've been thinking about trying boxing in the past few months, since I need something to do and I think picking up a martial art will help me build confidence and stuff. But I've always been a pussy - scared of fighting, mostly because I'm afraid of hurting other people, not because I think I'm so strong or whatever, but about unfortunate accidents which result in permanent damage. Also, one thing I'm also quite scared about is brain damage - from what I know it's inevitable to get punched in the head when you're training boxing. What's you opinion / experience on the matter? (Not OP btw)
>>
>>29721859
Don't worry, it's indeed scary to meet new people, but trust me - once you do it enough it just starts to feel normal. I'm still a bit spooked /anxious when I get introduced to someone by a friend, but once we shake hands with the person / exchange names the fear is over.

Having it 40 minutes away sucks though. At first it won't be that much of a problem, but I've skipped training quite a few times because I'd go out at and come back home 2/3 hours later. If you've got strong will and motivation for training though, you won't have any problems.
>>
>>29721870
My opinion is you won't hurt your trainer; it's impossible. It's like punching a block of wood. If you even manage to land at all lol. Pro fighters are just too good. Your trainer will only dish out what you can handle, they don't make money by bashing their clients. Brain damage? you get hit in the head enough, yeah, you'll get brain damage. Personally I don't think you'll be getting hit hard enough to suffer brain damage. I can't stress hard enough how easy it is for your trainer to knock you out if he wanted too; he really is taking it easy on you. Being able to fight will turn your confidence around like you wouldn't believe. When I was training hard, I would've taken on King Kong. You look at men differently. A guy looks at you and he knows you'll have a go. You're not aggressive; fighting's fun, hell you go a few rounds every week. That really throws people off. Most blokes can't fight for shit, you'll know by looking at them they're scared of being hurt.
>>
>>29722024
Dang, I really wanna try it now. I was also wondering about sparring with fellow trainees, but I'm sure that the trainer will most likely be arranging stuff so we don't hurt each other.

Also, how much time does it take from the week? I'm wondering since I've been really interested in learning sax recently, but don't know if I can fit both in a schedule. I know it's mostly up to when exactly during the week I'll be training / learning but it's nice to hear what other people's experience is.
>>
>>29722160
yeah, I'm pumped for it too. I'm pissed off at myself, after I hurt my shoulder I've barely been to the gym. I've even been smoking cigarettes again, after i tried so hard to quit. I'm 35, so I have to put a lot of effort into training. I'm sure it's easier if you're younger. Never the less, i think even for a young man boxing will test you. You're really looking at a five day gym week, if you want to get in there and mix it up. As for sparring with other mugs, that's where'll you'll get hurt. They won't have the kind of control that a pro has; there'll be machismo and hurt feelings involved. I wouldn't worry about that for a while.
>>
File: 20160704_094241.jpg (894 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160704_094241.jpg
894 KB, 2560x1440
I was in martial arts for 4 years, and i hated the last two. Pic belts are mine
>>
>>29722289
>inb4 something qbout the turtle poster.
I share a room.
>>
>>29722289
What martial art, anon? And why did you hate the last 2 years? Sweet belts tho.
>>
Martial arts is a fucking fantastic way to spend your time and the benefits if anything are underrated and that's saying something.

Starting from square 1 you CANNOT learn a martial art alone. I taught myself alot of Filipino martial arts stickfighting stuff from youtube (sinawali's and things) and had good success that makes me want to say it is possible but I have years of other martial arts foundation behind me that probably actually did the job.

Seriously find one you really like and go find a club.

Best in my opinion for a beginner are Ju Jitsu, , A traditional wrestling style, Boxing or HEMA.
Probably in that order though the last is my favorite.

Protip: Martial arts is a nerd activity and most of the beginners at least will be nerds so don't expect to stand out as the worst guy thats come through the door because you won't have been.
>>
Do it m8. I've done Muay Thai for 2 years now and my robotism has decreased at least 80%. Don't worry about getting hurt during sparring, we usually never go with intent to harm but to actually apply techniques and find flaws. It can also be a cordial and warm environment so it's unlikely your place will have sadistic cunts
>>
>>29722324
Im too much of a robot to deal with those people, i started in 8th grade and left junior year mostly due to my social anxiety and me not liking some of the other kids. I do miss sparring practice tho, that was pretty fun, wish id done some tournaments but i never did.
>>
>>29722367
>Martial arts is a nerd activity
This is what makes me consider joining a club. The people there might be nerdy enough to not give me hell about my social skills and stuff.

Thanks for all the info, anon.
>>
>>29722410
How has it decreased your robotism? I can't see how it would help, through it would be great.
>>
>>29721870
If you're afraid of brain damage do a grappling art like BJJ. You're not punching people, it's just chokes and locks
>>
>>29722367

What martial arts would you recommend? I'm most interested in Japanese and Chinese ones.
>>
>>29724506
I did kung fu when I was a child up through high school. What's neat is that although I forgot nearly every of the practised forms, I can move, balance and work my body very efficiently. A few years ago I tried getting into tai chi at the same school, but I didn't stick with it. Considering doing kung fu again, but I'm always drained after work and wouldn't really like the social interaction.

One of my biggest regrets actually was quitting kung fu to do track. I wish I had kept doing it and dedicated my life to it and progressed to being a teacher or something. Even if the pay was shit at least I would probably be happy.
>>
>>29721624
Do you live in NYC OP?
Please do, I'll teach you everything I know
>>
File: Hahaha+benis_d16a77_5507831[2].jpg (72 KB, 680x583) Image search: [Google]
Hahaha+benis_d16a77_5507831[2].jpg
72 KB, 680x583
>>29721624

You can't learn shit all by yourself. If you try to learn boxing by yourself you'll look like a fucking moron. You can learn all the punches in boxing in one day but you CAN'T learn how to box by training alone on a heavybag. You'll have zero footwork, zero timing, and most importantly you'll have absolutely zero experience of getting punched in the face and trying to punch another guy in the face. All you'll get out of it is a false-sense of security, "hurrdurr i've been boxing alone everyday! i can totally knock someoneout!" meanwhile you'll fall over your feet and have absolutely zero knowledge of how to predict/slip/counter a punch.
Any martial art worthwhile DEMANDS you train with a partner and a coach. Without both of those you are literally wasting your time, AND, if one day you decide to actually train in something for real you will have a fuckkkkkkkload of bad habits to break and actually put yourself in a worst spot than going in completely new
>>
Martial arts, the art of fighting another man in hand to hand combat...

>"can i learn it alone?"

are you fucking autism
>>
>>29724506

Japanese: Judo or BJJ (stemmed from Judo, super similar)

Judo is more traditional and weeabooish. You'll learn a lot of japanese words and history on Judo/Japanese martial arts, and the philosophy of martial arts in Japan. Most people are nerdy as hell or people who have trained from child.

BJJ is way more slack/chill. It's less of an "instructor-Student" vibe like in Judo and more like a club. Most people are sort of nerdy but really extroverted and friendly. I've never felt or seen someone be judged for their interests at a jits club.
I would honestly suggest Judo over BJJ for pure self-defense just because against someone untrained, Judo is far more effective purely because of the focus on throws. The ground game in Judo is more than enough to choke or submit someone too. BJJ is just overkill on the ground and underkill for getting the guy to the ground
>>
>>29721624
Clubs like this are perfect for sorting yourself out. If you really want to learn something but are afraid of spaghetti, then this will motivate you to developing the confidence or/and charisma you need to survive in society.

Take me, I went from being a shy autismo to loud obnoxious autismo. I'm not afraid of going outside anymore.
>>
Protip - pretty much everyone is scared when they first show up for martial arts training. So relax. Even the Super-Chads at the dojo are nerds who spend their free time watching YouTube videos of techniques and drills. Nobody will judge you.

Training martial arts alone is retarded. It's like trying to learn to play the piano without an actual instrument.

BJJ is easily the most chill to get into as an adult. Problem is some dojos can be shitty, but there's a lot of information online.

Judo is a great traditional sport. Some fake black belts here aswell, but it's easy to see who's for real and who's not.

Boxing is a great sport, but there can be some thugs in it.

Wrestling is probably the hardest to get into when you are old, since most wrestlers train from a young age. Wrestling also requires to be in insane shape. It's a very rewarding challenge though, as it develops both great physical and mental strength as well as speed, flexibility and athletic ability. Best sport if you ask me.
>>
I've got the best school and Sifu out of anyone on this board.

Also my best friends been training for about 10 years. Its really fun sparring.

Hung Gar MasterRace
>>
Not only do you need a teacher with hung gar, you also have to have one from a true lineage if you wish to know the true secrets of the forms
>>
MMA is an embarrassment to the patriarchs of ancient arts.
>>
>>29724731
No, sorry. I live in Europe which makes this even harder.

Thanks for the offer though.
>>
>>29721624

Used to teach this stuff until injuries ruined my life. Answer is basically no. Sorry. It's very social, oddly enough most authentic versions are very non robot friendly, and for Chad's.
>>
>>29727096
Hmm, you're saying the exact opposite of the other replies in this thread. What is true?
>>
Nothing beats having a teacher
last year when I took kung fu I realized this when shifu kept correcting a lot of details I would've never have found myself.
And you don't get enough discipline if you don't kind of rely on a compromise you have with someone else.
I've been meaning to keep on training by my own but I barely have, and I already forgot one of my favourite routines.

And as anons before me said, martial arts groups are very welcoming. I myself am kinda awkward, but the people in the group were really cool with me.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.