[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
All my friends are online. I am addicted to the thrill of someone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: 1465129070336.jpg (63 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1465129070336.jpg
63 KB, 600x600
All my friends are online. I am addicted to the thrill of someone responding to my post.
"Just go outside" is the usual advice I get. I've tried this countless times over years. But at my age, walking up to a group of people and intruding into their conversation is considered creepy harrassment.

I am beginning to accept that the root of my addiction to imageboards is that it is like an umbilical cord to a supply of fresh safe human contact.

But as soon as bedtime comes, the crushing weightlessness of it all becomes unbearable. I take my laptop with me, and just leave it on so I can sleep in peace. I'm afraid that I might one day go full Elliot if I go completely mad.

Can anyone relate? Any practical advice that doesn't involve harrassing people?

combprince unrelated
>>
>>29700997
Nah, it sounds like you have a good idea of the situation you're in.
Most adults don't have friends, however.
>>
>>29700997
Then you need to cut your safety net out; as long as you know your hugbox is waiting for you after each abortive attempt, you're not going to make real progress.
>>
>>29700997
>But at my age
please clarify. this matters.
>>
>>29701088
I am exactly 30 years old.
>>
>>29701104
Happy birthday, Anon.
Did you recieve your wizard status today? Or is that not your thing?
>>
>>29701149
I'm a wizard, sure. But my magic cannot fix my addiction.

I dont know whether to try going cold turkey or a slow wean. Or just accept this is the best I can get.
>>
Its amazing how much of your free time you are ready to spend here just for few (You)s. My steam library is full of unplayed games, I have dozens of unwatched movies, there is unread books laying everywhere. I could do something fun, something that actually left some kind of mark on me, but no, I keep coming back, for (You).

Also I'm pretty sure that spending so much time here hinders my ability to socialize in general. Here you are more free to say what ever, no matter how stupid or childish you know it is. I wish I could call my boss nigger faggot without repercussions. Then again my whole life revolves around self-reflection, I have nothing to say to real people, its all me, me, me.
>>
HAHAH LOL WE'RE PRETENDING TROLLING IS SOMETHING NEW
>>>/r/eddit
You need to go back.
>>
>>29701236
It's better than nothing, I suppose. You likely just feel like the internet is just a bad thing, because you linger around 4chan. 4chan is a sea of cynisism and piss.
If you're 30 and haven't matured into a social butterfly yet, you've likely fallen into social default. This means you can kick back, and just enjoy solitude.
>>
>>29701104
that sucks anon and i understand what you mean now. i'm 28 and can relate to much of what you're saying. i broke away from internet for a while, only going on a little bit a day but the last week or two i've been back full force. i can't fucking stop refreshing r9k and last night i stayed up until 7:30am because i couldn't leave. i haven't been to sleep before 5/6am this entire week because of that and one night it was 9am. i'm exhausted and more depressed than i've been in a while.

i don't know if you have social anxiety but the only practical advice i have sounds a lot like "just go outside" and it's basically to find hobby groups that relate to your hobbies or activity meetups that are for people in your age range. people are expected to mingle in groups like this and it wouldn't be seen as creepy to walk up to a couple of people you don't know. if they're there to socialize they also know it's hard to make friends at our age.

i've never done it myself (haha) but i know someone with social issues who has and they've managed to make a couple of social contacts at meetups for games (tabletop/board) and other activities. in the end they pretty much gave up but that's because they're just not as lonely as you or i. however, i do live in a city and i don't know how good the meetups in your area are. still, there's got to be some sort of groups in your area if you're not too picky.

also, you need to commit to going out and making this happen if you ever want it to happen. i understand what you're dealing with but there's no way to avoid it. if the internet is holding you back and you really can't stop, you might want to cut your service for a month. you could still use public wifi when you were desperate but you need to give yourself a chance.

i wish you luck. iktf.
>>
>>29700997
>I am addicted to the thrill of someone responding to my post "Just go outside"
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>29701374
You read it wrong. Try again.
>>
>>29701399
maybe you're just retarded
Just go outside
>>
>>29700997
How do you make online friends?
I only have my four former classmates as steam friends and I haven't talked to them in 3 years or so.
>>
File: image.jpg (647 KB, 2336x3504) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
647 KB, 2336x3504
>>29700997
How about spending the majority of your time on the Internet and you still never gain any internet friends, and if you do you end up blocking them after one day for reasons unbeknownst to you.

I made one friend on minecraft when I was younger but he turned out to I'm pretty sure he was a predator
>>
>>29701432
Join a server for your favorite game. Play for a while, and inquire about a Skype group or something.
>>
>>29701374
>hurr how does i punctuation
>>
>>29701452
this is me. i can't handle anyone being close to me, even online. i'm massively lonely but i can't have anyone having expectations of me.
>>
>>29701468
I don't really play online. What are some online games that are easy to get into?
>>
>>29701452
>if you do you end up blocking them after one day for reasons unbeknownst to you
The longest internet friendships I've ever had have only lasted for 6 months. Whenever we get into a disagreement, I just block them, and block every single tie I had to them, so I'd never see them again.
This once meant deleting my real Facebook account with 1000 friends on it, because I wanted to cut every possible tie.
>>
>>29701473
do* dumbass
>>
>>29701507
Minecraft. There are even serveral 4chan Minecraft servers to join.
If you don't like Minecraft, go to /vg/ to get into some other 4chan video game communities.
>>
>>29701579
What if I don't have literal autism?
>>
>>29701994
You asked for something easy to get into.
If you don't have any hobbies or interest, guess what: you aren't going to have any friends ever.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.