[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who else /grew up in poverty/? Tell me your stories. >raised
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: _82205266_trainers.jpg (30 KB, 624x351) Image search: [Google]
_82205266_trainers.jpg
30 KB, 624x351
Who else /grew up in poverty/?

Tell me your stories.

>raised by a single mother with no brothers or sisters
>empty room, except for a TV
>bullied by other kids
>can't fucking afford anything
>>
>>29700024
grew up in poland while having acces to seeing better part of world, do i have to say anything else?
>>
File: More_short_11c.png (36 KB, 174x174) Image search: [Google]
More_short_11c.png
36 KB, 174x174
>>29700024
>raised by single mom until 11 (then foster care)
>bologna sandwiches and cheerios w/ no milk as a kid
>can barely afford rent and internet, no savings.
>>
>>29700141

I didn't even eat in school. My mother never made me stuff, I just took it for granted.

But at home my mother either made me poorly tasting rice or spaghetti once a day or I made myself those cheap, disgusting pizzas which literally taste like nothing or a sandwich with ketchup and salami. Breakfast? What's that?

Needless to say I became fat pretty soon.

Single mothers are the fucking worst. But it was my own fault, I never questioned anything.
>>
>>29700294
>Needless to say I became fat pretty soon.

>eat nothing
>gets fat
How? Is this an american/anglo thing?
>>
>Father is typical absent Black male parent
>Mother raising me and four other siblings, living in projects
>Each week, on a good one, I received $5.00 to last the whole week
>Eventually go to college, start working, and begin giving money to my mom regularly
>Graduate college, earn a salaried position at $40,000 working in a law office
>Open up a bank account for my HS age brother, so he has an easier financial time
>Give him $200/mo most of last year and this year, increasing the amount with his academic performance
>He's now earning $280/mo, I was able to move out of my mom's and in with a 72 year old white dude, and still give my mom money

I believe I made it. Next stop is building my savings account.
>>
>>29700294
Anon what height did you grow up to be? Just wondering what that malnourishment might have did to your stature
>>
>>29700546

No it's Western thing.

>eat nothing for a while
>your metabolism slows down, your body literally clings to every calorie it can get
>oh here anon, I brought you unhealthy food (because healthy food is fucking expensive)
>eat unhealthy food (a lot of empty calories, no vitamins, no real energy)
>eat again nothing for a while
>gain wait
>try to lose weight by not eating
>gain even more weight

Not even kidding, it's real.
>>
>>29700690

By I guess it's party because I ate alone. Does someone know this feel? I don't even know what family meals are.
>>
>shared a bed with younger brother until I was like 13 or 14 I think
>lived in same room with single mom she rented out of a house for a while, also sharing bed (pull out couch) with brother
>played some fun abandoned lot soccer as a kid and skated down by the lumber yard
>watched bootleg tokyo drift with my cousin and my brother on like an 11" tv
>WRESTLING
>vegetables were gross because I only ate plain rice and cheese and white bread sandwiches for a lot of my life (now I like vegetables but back then...)
>dad married this weird korean woman at city hall
Idk but it wasn't really bad
>>
>>29700658

My height is normal. 6'0

But the malnourishment screwed my brain as a kid. It made me really irrational, impulsive, irresponsible and "stupid".
>>
I grew up in poverty in rural Minnesota.

Dad worked for the railroad but at the same time had a big drinking problem.
Got fired from railroad, layoffs, a lot of people lost their jobs.
He then turned to dealing drugs.
He got caught in Texas trying to get drugs into the country.
Went to jail.
mom then had to get a job at a factory, it was shift work so I became a latch key kid, it was that or homelessness or go live with grandma and grandpa so I guess it was alright.
No money for anything, goodwill and kmart for clothes, mom even made some clothes by using grandmas sewing machine.

got free lunches and breakfasts at school. Had a tv with the knobs to turn the station, this was in the 90s, not the 70s when the tv was made.
Made fun of in school for being poor and dad being in jail.

Now I save all my money and have enough for a house. But since I work as a trucker I still rent.
>>
>>29700546
Actually African children look bloated because one aspect of starvation is the expansion of air in the stomach so the lining doesn't devour itself

Also, metabolic rate is greatly impeded from starvation and is proven to have genetic repercussions that can lead to offspring with weight problems.

TL;DR don't assume you have to be a skeleton to have had a starvation problem.
>>
>>29700901

>TL;DR don't assume you have to be a skeleton

This. Especially not in the West.

Starved people are hardwired to find fatty, greasy fat extremely desirable and tasty. It's quick calories but empty calories nonetheless. It doesn't really make you full.

And what is very cheap in the West? Fatty food. You can get a pizza for 1$.

Also stuff like Cola and crips has the added benefit of making you happy, and happiness is all you need when you're poor.
>>
>>29700024
>raised by a young single father
>rice, beans, pasta, cheese sandwiches were typical dinners
>had a good childhood
My dad never showed his stress on financial situations although I knew that we didn't have as much money as my childhood friends. He loved me and showed me how to have a fun life without a lot of money and I wouldn't give it up for anything
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.