[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Isnt videogames a childish hobby? I can't avoid to think
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 194
Thread images: 18
File: images.jpg (21 KB, 512x287) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
21 KB, 512x287
Isnt videogames a childish hobby?
I can't avoid to think that videogame is much like a children's toy. Something you're theoretically supposed to set aside once you've grown. At least it was like that for me. I lived videogames in my childhood. My first was megadrive. Sonic was my childhood hero. Then came ps1, and crash was my favourite thing, and finally came my last videogame, ps2... and then I grew up, and left games behind, to seek different things, youngster's things.
Whenever i see grown man and lads still deeply game rooted.... how would you feel if you saw a grown man playing with legos, or toy cars, or plastic swords, or if you saw an adult woman playing with barbies dolls and shit... that's how I see man playing videogames. I see them as men who never let go of their childhood for some reason... menboys, menchildren. Boys who got old physically but didn't really matured nor left their childhood icons behind.
Does anyone here thinks le me?
>>
What you're saying is just shaming. Used to shame beta men into dropping what they like and providing for roasties. Don't fall for it.
>>
>>29696645
I'm not even bringing females into question... you're the one who's doing that.
I'm speaking to you about you, regardless of what x woman might think, i myself am gay, so this really is not about sexual relationships
>>
>>29696628
I think that makes sense.
You play racing games when you're a kid, but men go to the track.
A man playing video games is like seeing a dog lying in a bed that it outgrew a long time ago.
>>
>>29696628
Look. Video games are like movies and television. They're just more active and interactive. There is absolutely no reason to be forced to give up video games. Frankly, adults should be able to play with toys. Imaginations fucking die as you get older.

Are you supposed to get rid of all active fun in your life in favor of responsibility as you get older? Are sports and binging television shows really so much better than video games, just because video games are a younger medium?
>>
it is a very childish hobby. i don't know how anyone over the age of 20 still plays them.
>>
>>29696730
What do you make of video games that are rated 17+?
>>
>>29696628
lol who considers videogames a hobby.. they're entertainment. Unless you participate in tournaments or some shit it's not a hobby.
>>
Theres a difference between enjoying the odd video game and playing video games everyday the former is fine but the latter is manchildish
>>
>>29696753
ratings are a joke
>>
oh yeah of course, because playing Men of War Assault Squad 2 or Hearts of Iron or D&D is the same thing as playing Mario Kart.

no one thinks like that, it's part of being free.
>>
>>29696628

>spend 2000 hours getting good
>finally good enough to play competitively
>win first price at local tournament
>price money is 500
>split between 6 people

This is why competitive gaming is fucking retarded. If you play it purely for fun, the way games were supposed to be, it's a decent hobby.
>>
>>29696628
You watched movies as a kid, so why the fuck would you keep watching them as an adult?
You played games like Tag as a kid, so why the fuck would you play a game like basketball as an adult?
>>
>>29696775
Playing video games everday can still be fine as long as the rest of your life doesn't suffer for it. If you can take care of yourself and your responsibilities, then you should feel free to use your free time as you see fit.

>>29696730
Are books childish? Are movies childish? Are television shows childish? You can enjoy video games in exactly the same way.
>>
>>29696723
Well you brought an interesting point. There are definitely some neuronal destroying tv shows and movies out there. A person who constantly watches stupid shows like big brother or celebrity gossip or Kardashians, and a person who lives entirely hooked on Hollywoodian blockbusters, action shooting explosion hero movies or silly comedies would be on the same level of retardation from a game user. No different from someone who only reads absolute crap like twilight or teen romance or action novels. But all those medias, tv, cinema, and literature, have also its "bright side". Tv less than the other two, but still there many well written tv shows, interesting documentaries, artistic channels and political news telling. The same applies to cinema and even more so to literature. The smart side, the "adult" side lives aling the dumb realms.
Does that happen to games as well? Does it? What are the examples so far of games that reached a superior level, either for artistic value or for its inteligent thought provoking storytelling or for its social awareness purpose? What is the 'bright' "adult" side of videogames?
None.
>>
>>29696853
we've moved on to splitting hairs now.
if you wanna quit vidya, quit vidya. no one gives a shit.
>>
On a neurological level, video games are much more productive than television/film/videos because they engage you in challenging activity. Some video games are repetitive and idiotic, like most MMORPGs. The games that are actually valuable are strategy games.

That said, I'm personally not much of a fan because any time I play a video game, I feel like I'm wasting way too much time not accomplishing anything, which leaves me feeling empty and hollow. I'd honestly rather write than play a video game. But I know some brilliant people who are into strategy games. I think it's just that I'm so out of practice - I stopped playing video games regularly when I was 17, and I'm 27 now, so it's literally been a decade.
>>
>>29696753
> Bloodshed and gore are equal to maturity
Ok.
>>
>>29696802
>not having fun improving your self

fucking pleb

Competitive players will probably grow up with successful lives.
They have dedication to improve have to admit to their mistakes and fix them. Both important things.

I always cringe when I hear someone getting fussy when they do the same mistake over and over again.
>>
>>29696770
Unless you're playing +4 hours a day, then it pretty much crossed the line.
>>
>>29696889

Whatever you say man. I know some people who spend so much time playing competitive games, like as if it was their career or some shit.

That's the kind of mindset you should not have.
>>
>>29696848
Comparing literature and cinema to games, huh?
What are the greatest games of the history, manboy?
>>
video games are on a completely different level than any of that other stuff.
>>
>>29696881
You're the one that looks like an idiot if you're saying it's for children.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah-QbFaY_wU
>>
File: ctatlyo.jpg (26 KB, 700x466) Image search: [Google]
ctatlyo.jpg
26 KB, 700x466
video games are my fucking life. i don't give a fuck what anyone says. been playing them since before i even had friends, but i still went outside and made friends.
judge all you want, what difference does it make? i'm still happy and you get to feel superior, we both win.

people develop these games and they need to be played otherwise those people wasted their time on people who they believed actually gave a shit about their work, something worthwhile, definitely not nothing.
>>
>>29696628
Thing is we redefined what being a woman was about and now we are on the verge kf doing the same for men.
Life should be lived in wathever manner you enjoy it as long as you don't harm others doing so. Chances are you are going to be happier without a serious relationship and kids no matter what buzzfeed tells you, it used to be that men who didn't settle down where gay or weirdos but now it's getting more and more common so that's going to change too
>>
>>29696848
>Are books childish? Are movies childish? Are television shows childish? You can enjoy video games in exactly the same way.

that would be a good argument if video games actually had stories and plots for adults, 99% of the plot in games are very childish and typical. go ahead and find me a game that has the same level of writing as, just for an example, synecdoche ny, and i'll just shut up.

in video games you at best get adult "themes" like sex, gore, and violence.
>>
>>29696628
All of what you just said amounts to social perception and stigmas, there's no substance to it. Is there something inherently childish about video games?
>>
>>29696945
Do you know what the world "mature" means?
If Nintendo made a remake of suoer mario with slurs, curse words, and blood spilling evertime you hop on top of an enemy the game would be R rated and unsuitable for children. Would it make the game any more mature and adult?
The games are 17+ because of violence and nudity on itself. Apart from it, everything in the game, from the story telling to the gameplay, ressembles a playtime for a child.
>>
>>29696853
Video games can be vessels for themes and messages like anything else. Grand theft auto has a fuck ton of messages about modern america for example. Here's a video about it: https://youtu.be/E85feLp-gx8 . Spec ops the line and undertale have messages about how consumers relate to media and violence. Japanese games like persona have messages about the importance of having a vibrant social life.

There are also high skill components in several genres of video games like real time strategy, fighting games, and shooters etc. They're on the level of sports just without strenuous physical activity (although I don't know why anyone likes watching sports)

And even if they weren't already like other mediums of art, and didn't even have the potential to be like other mediums of art, and were on the same level of retardation that action blockbusters and reality tv were on, people are free to relax however they want.

The only reason to think games are childish is because Nintendo marketed them as boy's children's toys after the video game market crash.
>>
>>29696961
The last of us, heavy rain, fahrenheint: indigo prophecy,
>>
>>29696996
How do you feel about enterprise software adopting "gamification" practices?
http://yukaichou.com/gamification-examples/what-is-gamification/
http://www.bunchball.com/gamification
>>
>>29696934
How long have books been around? 3000 years? How long have games been around? 30-40 years?

I still think theres plenty of enjoyable thoughtful stories in games, and enjoyable games in general from a pure gameplay perspective. Doesn't mean they're on par with skakespeare or whatever. But that fact doesn't mean they don't have potential.
>>
Explain why it should matter to anyone what other people think of their hobby.
>>
>>29696929
I will agree with that. While the genre needs good traits to succeed it also needs self control.

The thing I'll say about competitive over real life is that you'll probably see progress sooner and you get that feeling of accomplishment sooner. Which at least isn't as false of most games but isn't a very accurate depiction of life where it may take you 3 years to accomplish something that isn't in a videogame.

I also like the idea life needs to be in balance. So spending 7 hours a day gaming once your older just isn't sustainable or you'll end up in a dead end job.
>>
>>29697022
Dude don't even quote Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy as good stories, Heavy Rain straight up lies to the player to maintain the mystery and Indigo Prophecy has like 5 villains, horrible bug monsters, and a scene where you literally have to avoid things flying at you in your apartment. Not to mention that the female cop sleeps with Ethan for literally no reason. I'm not even the guy you were talking to but those games are garbage.
>>
>>29696628
Is chess for children?
Is poker for children?
Is billiard for children?
>>
>>29697022
Of those you quoted I only played heavy rain, and that alone disqualified your opinion, holy shit how can you possibly defend that tremendous pile of shit, a game made ENTIRELY of qte, you basically push the buttons you're told to for ten hours in a floppy plot worthy of a pulp magazine
>>
>>29697061
Albeit if you're the top 3% plating for big bucks then its your job at this point so it's completely reasonable to spend all day practicing.
>>
>>29697022
>these games
>on the same level as synecdoche ny

heavy rain is a lame detective murder mystery that tried so hard to be one of those hard boiled detective novels but failed miserably.

the last of us a nice story and does have some adult themes, this is still not on the level of synecdoche ny though. have you even watched that movie?
>>
>>29697102
I'm not him but I can't even pronounce synecdoche ny, let alone have I seen it, and I get the feeling most of this thread is the same way.
>>
I agree, it is childish. It's also outside of garbage reality tv probably the most unproductive and lowest form of media there is. I don't care though.
>>
>>29696628
What the fuck nigger vidya are awesome
>>
Do playing sports count too? It's the most fun I had aside from videogame as a wee lad
>>
>>29697150
sen
eck
doh
key

i'm just using it as an example. i guess for an easier example i could use a movie like idk, no country for old men
>>
So?

Western males don't have any opportunities to be Men anyway. We don't have a war to fight, we aren't allowed to pursue women and we aren't allowed to fight each other.
>>
>>29697068
Those are all for the most part social activities that are useful for building relationships with others.

Video games for the most part are not. The average gamer isn't doing couch coop with friends, he's sitting alone for hours doing the same repetitive shit. And no, your online friends on steam are not the same as real, actual in person friendships.
>>
>X is only for children
>If you're older and still do/like X, your not a man
Yeah, no. A man dies whatever he wants and likes whatever he wants all while giving zero fucks about what people think.
>>
the only games that come to mind when i think about 'adult themes' is max payne 1 and max payne 2. the story in those games are pretty mature, especially the first one.
>>
Vidya is just another form of leisurely consumption. It's not more childish than watching movies or reading books.

I don't know why but I've gotten boring. I don't enjoy any of those things. I just call people faggots all day long when I'm not working or training. Sometimes I'll get really into a project but they never seem to last. I wish I could go back to enjoying my books and games. My happiest times were when I could become totally immersed in a setting like with Lord of the Rings or morrowind.

You don't seem to be very bright or introspective, op. The sad truth is people like us didn't mature or grow up, we're broken. Not really people. Storytelling is an essential component to the human experience. If you don't like vidya something is wrong with you, not everyone else in the whole world. If I find out how to enjoy games again I'll definitely share in here, but I really doubt trying to convince yourself stories and fun are bad things is going to work. The sad truth is some people weren't meant to be happy. We lack the fundamental hardware and capacity for it.
>>
What's the significance of something being childish?
>>
>>29697160
I dunno man, you're putting a lot of shitty TV and movies over a lot of high quality games making blanket statements like that. All mediums have low points, there's a movie called Beverly Hills Chihuahua after all.
>>
>>29696628
I feel the same way when I see someone watching TV, movies or reading books, who the fuck wants to enjoy themselves? It's so childish.
>>
They have potential to become more than they are.
So far games are based on two flawed conceptions: repetition and immediate pleasure.
Repetition is easy to guess. Most games revolve around this. Specially shooters and online multiplayer. Do it, repeat, do it, repeat, the same thing over and over.
Pleasure... well games are nowadays purely entertainment. If games are to be taken seriously in one point, they must stop trying solely to please the gamer providing constant rewarding experiences and spoon feeding. No one reads or watches artsy literature and cinema because it feels good. It doesn't feel good. It's a bore. It's like a cold shower in winter or eating broccoli. You do it because you must, because it's good for you. It's not tasty like chocolat, but it's healthy, it's inteligent, it's thought provoking, it's a hidden beauty. And once you start learning to decipher it, you will learn to enjoy it.
The only games I can quote from the top of my head that got closer to art were Team Ico ones. Both Ico and Shadow of the colossus. Specially Shadow of the colossus.
Limbo also was so surprisingly beautiful, not requiring any next gen graphics or mechanics... it's somehow a shame that it's repetitive and has little progression or mutation, but it's trully artistically beautiful, not "skyrim mods photorealistic" beautiful.
>>
>>29696628
No because by your logic Movies ,television and music are for children
>>
>>29697243
> Likes crossdressingand my little pony
> Is a real man because he doesn't give a fuck about his momma complaints
Look where your logic lead us, steve. Look at it.
>>
I've noticed a theme running through this thread of taking statements that could apply to modern media as a whole and using them to criticize just games.
>>
>>29697269
movies and tv are not interactive

to compare video games with movies and tv, you have to basically completely ignore the gameplay in video games and focus on the story telling. no one in this thread can seem to come up a video game that can rival some very well written movies
>>
>>29697228
Wow. This is some real bullshit right here.

No real war? There's that never ending shit in the Middle East now if you want combat deployment. Just sign up.

Aren't allowed to pursue women? You have to be shitting me with his one. With our modern hookup culture and online shit like tinder and okc it's never been easier to chase women and get laid at any point in history.

Cannot fight each other? MMA type gyms are popping up everywhere. There are also traditional martial arts and boxing gyms.

Play your little games all you want, no one cares. Face up to it though and don't make up lame excuses that don't have a shred of truth.
>>
File: Remember the pillars goy....webm (92 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Remember the pillars goy....webm
92 KB, 640x360
>>29697316
You poor deluded ghoul.
>>
>no one in this thread can seem to come up a video game that can rival some very well written movies
Because that's completely subjective
>>
>>29697269
Once again, quote the high points of games.
Do I really need to quote the high points of music, literature and cinema? The art of the grand masters
>>
>>29697268

That's really not true at all what you say about repetition and pleasure in vidya. Either you lack any critical thinking ability and perception or you've never actually played a game before.

Try examining game mechanics. Some like Diablo 2 apply Skinner shit operant conditioning pretty blatantly but there's more to fps than just repetition. Unless you want to say chess is just repetition, moving pieces around a grid. Cold showers are fucking retarded but broccoli is delicious, not bad, and reading is enjoyable, it's not some big challenge that only gives pleasure from when finally finished and set it down.
>>
>>29697316
Depends on what you consider "well written." There are a lot of movies that couldn't come close to the story of something like Last of Us. There are a lot of shitty sci fi movies that are outdone by even mass effect. KOTOR was better written than any of the Star Wars prequels.

Sure if you compare games to the best movies have to offer they will come short, but only a small percentage of mainstream movies are all that much better
>>
>>29696628
I still enjoy video games. And I'm 28. Have a.wife and 2 kids. A good job...BUT when I play it's for at most a couple hours. I've got a friend who's the same age and plays like he's still 12. Going on like 10 plus hour benders. And I feel like he's totally wasting his life....even if your really really really good at whatever game it is. COD let's say....ultimately NO one gives a Fuck and your literally wasting your time on a game that's going to be replaced in.a.year and therefore your winning.record means nothing.
>>
>>29696628
you clearly never played eve online
>>
>>29697316
You make the mistake of assuming that movies and games are exactly as involved as each other, which isn't the case. Game developers have to worry about many more things than movie makers do. A nuanced story doesn't amount to much if you fall through the ground 5 minutes into the game. Of course that doesn't mean I wouldn't appreciate more focus on story and writing, but it's not as if the people making games are just stupid or something. Bottom line, stunted writing is one of the gaming industries problems, just as a problem the movie industry has is the way many movies pander to the lowest demographic. It really comes down to what you value in your media, no one style or focus will suit everyone, and trying to do so is an exercise in futility, demonstrated clearly by this entire thread.
>>
>>29696949
I think I smell a virgin
>>
Games are getting worse. It's almost time to give up the hobby. There's a few good indie shit games out there but that's it.
>>
>>29697413

Some people like having fun. Did you ever consider that?

I make my own beer. I'm never going to be a Belgian megacorp making tasteless swill like budweiser or some hipster microbrewery bringing home medals in tastings every year but I still enjoy the time spent researching, planning, brewing, and of course drinking the product. I don't do it to impress people even though the batch is going to be replaced in a month once I drink it all.
>>
>>29697464
>on Brazilian pasta making board
>surprised to find virgin betas saying virgin beta shit
>>
>>29697268
Its funny how you feel so confident speaking about games yet you hace not provided a single example of a title and probably dobt know about any game other than CoD etc. To put it into perspective think how for every copy of Catch 22 printed theres a copy of 50 shades of gray. There is no such thing as an "immature" medium, only immature media
>>
>>29697413
You can't say for someone else that they are wasting their life, different people value different things, I'm sure many could look at you and think you're wasting your life as well.
>>
>>29697434
the thing is we have thousands of very well written movies with adult themes. we also have thousands and thousands of well written books.

there's only a handful of games that can compare to them. worse than that, the faggots on /v/ can't stand games like the last of us because it's 'not really a game', which tBh is kind of a fair point, the only thing it has going for it is the story, the gameplay is really boring.

i kind of figured by now that the gaming industry would have clued in and started really focusing on the stories in games, but they haven't because teenagers don't really care that much.
>>
I'm not into videogames anymore, I want to play a videogame because I miss the good old days, but when I get to it I just get bored instantly

I'm more into films right now, and let me tell you that gamers can't really talk about films at all, their tastes are really shit
>>
>>29697583
Different people value different things man, sometimes you just have to realize that. I've met plenty of full grown adults who couldn't give less of a shit about story and writing in shit they watch, and just wanna see funny stuff or action or what have you.
>>
File: cancer.jpg (26 KB, 599x337) Image search: [Google]
cancer.jpg
26 KB, 599x337
>>29697583
>VideoGAME values GAMEplay
>"Wow hurr durr how childish to not give 2 shits about the story in a game that doesn't try to have engaging GAMEplay."
You might just be retarded.
>>
I get the weird feeling that 75% of this thread is posted by 3 or 4 people.
>>
File: 1353609984060.jpg (86 KB, 637x469) Image search: [Google]
1353609984060.jpg
86 KB, 637x469
>>29697693
>pretending like watching movies and playing video games isn't all people do anymore
*yawn* i guess anyone who ever played a cell phone game on their lunch break every single day is a grown child too then?
>>
This might just be the most pretentious thread on /r9k/
DO WHAT YOU WANT WATCH WHAT YOU WANT PLAY WHAT YOU WANT
There that's it it's over.
>>
chrono trigger is a true work of highbrow art on par with Ulysses by james joyce, gravity's rainbow by pynchon, and stanley kubrick movies
>>
>>29697737
>*yawn*

Also, casual gaming isn't the same as actual gaming or ''hardcore gaming''
>>
>>29697726
how about read the few posts i wrote before for context dip shit?

>>29697714
i'm mostly talking about stories because usually the gameplay is usually the most childish/teenager aspect of them. you hit things, shoot things, drive things, kick things, throw things.... there's nothing mature about any of it.
>>
>>29697790
oh it isn't? i'm sorry, i thought 50% of gamers were women? i'm incorrect then?
>inb4 true scottsman goal post moving
>>
>>29697800
No one needs context to see you're one of the Gone Homers that think videoGAMEs need anything other than gameplay you colossal faggot.
Your hobbies and interests mean jack shit, women will not care, your fellow elite niggers will simply find a way to exclude you anyway for being an unwashed simp.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_obeR1OIm8
>>
>>29697790
>implying if you saw someone pull out a DS on their lunchbreak you wouldn't silently judge them as a "hardcore" gamer, even though they are technically casually gaming
>>
>>29697800
Mature is a completely subjective word that has no place in an actual debate, besides the fact that you clearly have no understanding of gameplay or what makes it good or bad. Again, you can't go deciding for other people what they should and shouldn't like or find interest in.
>>
Obvious propaganda bullshit. Fuck off.
>>
>>29696628
I used to eat as a kid but I realized it was childish so I stopped.

No grown man should do anything that a child could also do.

Forget about how videogames were originally developed for 20-30 year old men who had expendable income for computers.
>>
File: 1435763697185.jpg (12 KB, 258x245) Image search: [Google]
1435763697185.jpg
12 KB, 258x245
>he actually thinks videogames are art
>>
>>29697800
On another note it's worth realizing that it's much more difficult to make story and writing good while also keeping a degree of interactivity. Few non-games even attempt the idea.
>>
>>29697910
>eating compares to playing with toys

You videogame autists really are autistic and stupid
>>
File: HAHAHAHAHAHA.jpg (80 KB, 582x600) Image search: [Google]
HAHAHAHAHAHA.jpg
80 KB, 582x600
>>29697915
>He values "Art"
https://youtu.be/WXZuH4ru92o?t=3m38s
Yes, videogames are so much worse!
>>
>>29697936
>taking the bait seriously
You anti-videogame autists really are autistic and stupid
>>
People who say its childish and that they've grown out of games are the edgiest and most pretentious cunts out there. Would you like a medal? That being said, after I turned 18 games massively dropped off for me, simply because my tastes of changed and gotten more specific while the industry has taken a nosedive. Gaming is now "Hollywood".
>>
>>29697859
yep i have no understanding of gameplay and i have never played a game before

please....

i don't really care what people like, games are childish, the gameplay in games is childish, the stories are absolutely terrible, and the people who play games are even worse than the games themselves
>>
>>29697960
They say the people who dislike childish things and don't want to be seen as children are the closest to children themselves.
"What would mommy and daddy think of me:((("
>>
>>29696678
You're not, but it's implied by what you're saying.
You want us to drop vidya because it's not mature and masculine... in favor of want exactly? You can work full time and still come home and play video games. From what you say that doesn't seem acceptable.
Who wants to abandon what makes them happy for a wife and kids?
>>
>Sonic
>Crash
That's literally Autism-tier. A real person played RPGs out the wazoo.

After PS2 games really went down the shitter. Look at the game list from 2000:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_in_video_gaming

>PS2 comes out
>Dragon Warrior Monsters
>Vagrant 64
>Kirby 64
>Majora's Mask
>Deus Ex
>Chrono Cross
>Age of Empires 2
>Quake 3 Arena
>Red Alert 2
>Tomb Raider
The types of games that set a standard for an epoch of video games.

Note you don't see any "Super Mario 5" in there. Closest you get is one Final Fantasy IX, but that was before ten shifted it over into ladyboy territory.
>>
>>29697960
You are clearly an open minded and reasonable individual and I apologize if I ever implied otherwise. I will now defer to your blanket statements, please go on to generalize more of the world with your lacking base of knowledge.
>>
>>29696628
>pseudo intellectual: the post
>>
File: plat_trophy.png (62 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
plat_trophy.png
62 KB, 200x200
The problem with video games, particularly as a dedicated hobby, is that you have nothing to show for it.

No one will care about your CS:GO skins, or TF2 hats, or Overwatch alt skins. No one gives a shit about how many hours you logged in to a game. Speedrunning will get you jack shit other than notoriety from other turbolosers and even then only if you get WR or are super prevalent in the community.

I'm not saying that a hobbies value is determined wholly by what other people think of it but theres going to come a day when you look back on what you did with your time and even you will think "yeah landing that 40 hit combo was fucking pointless." "Getting a new personal best in X or Y really did jack shit for me". At least with something like a musical instrument you can create something and share it with who ever is willing to listen and learn. With photography you can capture moments and help provide a context for a period of time and people can look back on it and reflect. But with "I just got all the trophies for my favorite video game" ain't nobody gonna give a shit, probably not even you in 5 10 or 20 years.
>>
>>29697999
i guess i should have instead broken down the gameplay of every single game i've ever played in explicit detail to make game autists happy instead of writing about gameplay in a general way....
>>
>>29696730
>stopping something you like doing because you're afraid others might think youre childish
Literally what the fuck y'all need to take some LSD and chill out stop worrying out what others think of you that's true immaturity
>>
>>29698052
>Claims to be a cultured individual
>Can't even dedicate his posting to proper grammar and uses ellipses excessively as though to annoy folks.
>Proceeds to skirt around anybody asking him to prove his half assed claims.
At least someone from /lit/ would have not been so obvious about being retarded, and they have the balls to come to /v/ if they got some shit to talk, faggot.
>>
>>29698078
what the fuck are you talking about holy shit

i'm cultured? where the fuck did you get that?

>balls to come to /v/
HOLY FUCKING SHIT KEK

you are right, i am afraid of pimple faced teenager hardcore gamers
>>
>>29698037
My brother was modding and scripting quake3 engine games when he was a teen, and could play RPGs for 12+ hour straight. He dropped out of high school, took five years to get a GED and now has military clearance, a confidentiality history, and programs for Android handset companies on the side. Makes mad dosh. He even was working with r4s to try and hack 3ds carts. Surely managing an internet connection to Asia on a military base and getting to say hello to the president when arranging an international conference call is something to show?
>>
>>29698052
Careful, with the name-calling, we wouldn't want to be childish now, would we? After all, you are a high minded individual, not someone who goes on image boards to call things others like immature in order to upset them and recieve a ridiculous amount of (you)s.
>>
>>29696645
OP is a roastie, most likely 29 and desperate for beta bucks.
>>
>>29698037
>from other turbolosers
People you don't even know, many speedrunners actually run charity events, more than anyone here has ever attempted in their sorry lives.
>but theres going to come a day when you look back on what you did with your time and even you will think "yeah landing that 40 hit combo was fucking pointless."
"Why do anything if you can't show it off"
Vain as fuck.
>ain't nobody gonna give a shit, probably not even you in 5 10 or 20 years.
>ain't nobody gonna give a shit
>I'm not saying that a hobbies value is determined wholly by what other people think of it
Why do people who shit talk vidya so much have to be so retarded, is it the eternal butt anger that videogames eclipsed all the shitty art mediums in popularity?
>>
If sonic and crash were your "hero" and "favorite" things you are not a robot

Those are normie games, i have met 9/10 sluts who played the shit out of crash bash

>Silent Hill
>Legacy of Kain: Soul reaver
>FFT

those are actual games
>>
>>29698101
I'll bet money I look better than you do bro.
Like, real cash money.
I work a 9-5 in a labor trade, so not only do I make more money than you, I get to spend my money on my hobby, and I'm in shape, there's also a 90% chance I look better than you do.
>>
>>29698106
Kinda sounds like the video game portion of that was pretty small. Got him started sure but its not like he wears a patch on his uniform of a quake logo and is known as the video game guy. It couldve been any tech thing that got him started
>>
>>29697078
>I only played heavy rain

>>29697960
>i have never played a game before
>>
>>29698037
There is a sense of accomplishment that any achievement will give you, in video games or otherwise. I look back on all of the video games I completed to 100% as a child fondly. I think of it as time well spent on something that I loved, that brought me pleasure and entertainment, that made me feel like I was really good at something. It's a different kind of satisfaction from the kind that you get actively working on a skill, because playing video games is a form of consumption. That doesn't mean that the experience you get from playing video games doesn't mean anything.
>>
Part of being a man is not caring what others think of you.
>>
>>29696628
Grown ass men can do whatever the fuck they want, fuck off you piece of shit
>>
>>29698163
you are seriously the most pathetic person i've ever interacted with on this board

i like how you have to prove how manly and omg so hawt you are just to detract from your childish "hobby"

that's called being insecure
>>
>>29698211
>Pimply faced loser
>Claim I'm not, even willing to post a picture if he does first
>"U're pathetic"
Anti gamers confirmed mad as fuck uggos who have to be nu-males for that SJW pussy.
>>
>>29697339
>Aren't allowed to pursue women?
everything and its opposite is rape in the JewSA these days
>>
Yeah fuck you. Rather do something I like than let roasties have my money
>>
>>29698211
You are the cancer devouring this planet and you don't even know.
>>
>>29696628

Maybe you're the one who needs growing up if you think people ought to be ashamed over enjoying what is widely accepted as a popular form of entertainment casually.

Sure, you can take it to an extreme with examples like people watching MLP or anime or whatever, but we both know those are more so exceptions than the reality. The key is how invested you are in it and how much you reflect that to others.

I see little difference between playing video games now and then and watching sports on tv occasionally in terms of casual entertainment. It seems childish to make such a drastic judgement call on someone's character based on that.
>>
>>29698172
No, it really wasn't. Since 1990 or earlier we always had video games in our house. Nintendo, Sega, GB, GBC, GBA. SNES, N64, PSX, PS2, and then onto PC. The overwhelming majority of his friends played games, and the guys he lifted with were JRPG fanatics. 6' 250+lb guys, although my brother fit the thinner stereotype. Currently he has at least one cabinet of games (new games are shit, so he hoards the old ones). He has multiple cartridges for all the games he played, and most of the strategy guides. He gave me his steel DDR pads. A few years ago (note he was born in 1985) his wife had a commission done for his birthday: she took a few pictures of his game collection, and the artist made a like 4x3 foot mural of the major characters interacting here and there. One of his sperg things is he has multiple characters close to level 255 in Star Ocean 2. He's put hundreds of hours into the game. Fucker programs every day for work and I am jealous as fuck.
>>
File: Veni Vidi Vici.jpg (114 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Veni Vidi Vici.jpg
114 KB, 1920x1200
I don't associate with people who play games, or at least when video games get brought up as a topic around me I cringe internally. I stopped playing video games at the age of 14. I got obsessed with becoming successful and rich in life and thought video games would get me nowhere, and the fact that having to sometimes try at games to achieve something made me bored and I didn't bother. The last games I played in my life were the ones that I put down after an hour or less.

I think it's fine to play video games as a kid and throughout your teenage years but once you become an adult, I think it's time to let it go.
>>
>>29696709
>You play racing games when you're a kid, but men go to the track.
Pretty much. Men are supposed to build real cities, drive real cars, kill real people with real guns, etc.

If you can't afford your video game activities in real life, you're a poorfag so you don't even count as a human being.
>>
I consider videogames an exciting vibrant new art form still in its infancy. The art of storytelling evolving interactivity. Why just watch Rambo while you could BE Rambo? Some games and styles of gaming I may have "grown out of",but I will enjoy seeing what this new art form will deliver in the near and far future.
>>
>>29698287
Wait..is being 255 in so2 sperg? I think I did it twice and took a picture of the final end screen.
>>
>>29698037
I developed a sperglord obsession with chess and used to play obsessively in my teens and early 20's. I'd estimate between 500-600 hours played. I also taught myself basic French just out of boredom on long daily commutes to work.

I gave up chess when my depression worsened and I suddenly lost interest and I've never spoken a word of French to anyone, even in Paris because my basic level is so shit tier. Would you call that time wasted as well? Or does that not count because normies are impressed when you mention being able to speak some French and being into chess as a hobby as opposed to gaming?
>>
>>29698299
So you were bad and so you quit.
Also look where that mentality got you. You're on the virgin loser board. Lol. gg
>>
>>29696628
To be honest, I feel like the Internet, especially sites like 4chan, are way more destructive for me than video games ever have been. I am good at managing how much time I spend playing video games, but when I'm on 4chan, my self-control goes out the window, and I end up staying on here all night until 6 AM.
>>
>>29698334
No you did not. Level 255 takes ages, and ages, and ages, because the experience required basically maxes out the data values. It's fucking ridiculous.

It sucks they "botched" the PSP port, because it was supposed to have better dialog as well as the new character. Whoever though forming items would be better as a fucking progress bar instead of the 3d wiggly item animation is retarded.
>>
>>29698037
i know a guy that has 10,000 hours played in FFXIV. he even has a girlfriend in the game

seems pretty happy to me
>>
>>29698326
this is a troll post please disregard
>>
>>29696628
I mean that's like saying TV is childish because you watched cartoons as a kid
There's clearly video games that are suited more towards your age, you just need to find them. Like maybe something like Zero Escape which is more like a book, but it's still a video game. Most of them are Japanese and/or niche, so you have to dig around to find stuff you like. Even playing old games you played as a kid can show you that some of those games where way more edgy than you remembered them being.

I feel like this whole "video games are like toys only manchildren play them" attitude comes from kikes who realize that you can't control people as easily through video games. And the other thing that a lot of them come from Japan, and we all know that jews fear the samurai the most.
>>
>>29698357
This shit right here. My brother only had a few online clans, and they were all video game devoted. I got onto 4chan when I was 13, in January 2014 at the latest. I near instantly went anti-normie and have never looked back.

The ride never ends.
>>
>>29698037
Same thing with anything else... Of the top of your head who won the first Nobel prize? The life of anyone is akin to fleeting dust particles. From superstars to hobos. How anyone can aggrandize themselves for doing this or that is beyond me.
>>
>>29698244
literally insecurity off the charts: the post

>willing to post a picture if he does first
and now your next post is going to make a comment on how i don't have the balls enough to post my picture

kind of typical troll tactic, but i don't expect much out of someone who says that "YOU DONT HAVE THE BALLS TO COME ON /V/ LOL"
>>
>>29696853

TV doesnt destroy neurons, you just dont learn or apply any skills whatsoever. A professional boxer who stop boxing gets worse until he loses his skills. Imagine a person wasting 5 hours a day doing nothing. And then doing that every day for the rest of their lives, not maintaining their skills or learning anything practical.

At least video games increase your reaction time. Its too bad it becomes useless since the lack of exercise makes their bodies weak and their tendons salted.
>>
>>29698396
MODS

WHY ARE YOU IDIOTS ARGUING WITH LITERAL TEENAGERS
>>
>>29698378
I definitely did it once with Rena so I could use dias. I maxed out the main party including all skills and abilities and got way up there even with the junk characters. I had a rainbow menu color scheme.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (132 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
132 KB, 1920x1080
>>29696628
there's nothing NOTHING wrong with playin the ole vidya! we're a tight community and I am tired of us being called children!
>>
>>29698416
Won't do it, no balls.
Figures.
>>
>>29698428
a lot of pc gamers are going to have wrist problems and hand problems later on in life. especially for their mouse hand. all those repetitive movements are hell on the wrist.
>>
>>29696628
If you are a fat neckbeard and you play videogames, you are a manchild.
If you are an attractive Chad / Brad who plays videogame, then nothing is wrong.
videogames
>>
>>29698439
Because Anonymous. Hiroyuki should start making us input our credit card information for "safe measure"
>>
>>29698037
the thing about this, look where you're posting
do you honestly believe people here (the true robots at least) give a shit what normies think?
by your logic, building blocks are a good hobby because I can show off my dragon dildo replicas I shove up my ass
most hobbies aren't "productive" and I don't know what kind of boring being enjoys making shit like tables as a hobby
that's not a hobby, that's work
>>
>>29698528
A thousand times this.

Hurrah for chad.
>>
EVERYTHING is fucking immature these days because it promotes consumer culture.

Movies? Used to be about interesting police mysteries and historical events and now it's literally all capeshit. I went to the movies the other day and all trailers were capeshit, every single one.

Books are completely dead as a medium

Men aren't interested in building and fixing shit and are just looking to show off in instagram

Women aren't looking to raise children and instead focus on showing off on instagram

Everyone in this age is completely immature. The only way to solve this is with a war. And before you may may me i'm already in the military so i'd be the first to die.
>>
File: untitled.jpg (143 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
untitled.jpg
143 KB, 1024x768
>>29698439
I meant 2004. You should've been able to tell you retard.
>>
File: 1414174948517.png (373 KB, 700x800) Image search: [Google]
1414174948517.png
373 KB, 700x800
>>29698528
qft
also
>people on 4chan out of all places saying videogames are waste of time
>people on fucking failed normalfag board out of all places on 4chan saying videogames are waste of time
>>
File: 1376289368380.jpg (489 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1376289368380.jpg
489 KB, 1920x1080
>says video games are for children
>comes to the autistic virgin school shooter board to whine about his problems like a baby in his spare time
>n-nuh uh, i'm a big boy who does big boy stuff! i bought a house!
>i-i just come here to laugh at you nerds!
oh sure, as if anyone remotely successful or happy comes to this place. who the fuck are you kidding, really? you think not playing nintendo when you were a kid would have made you any less of a genetic failure? you think that giving them up and trying to shame people who enjoy 'immature' hobbies doesn't make you a sad little wannabe bully? shit, i'm betting most of you losers shaming it spent a good amount of their lives playing video games, and now hate themselves for being so pathetic, so now you're trying to find things to blame instead of yourself. am i right? i am, aren't i.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=famous+video+game+players
>>
File: DragonsDaydream2.jpg (148 KB, 911x496) Image search: [Google]
DragonsDaydream2.jpg
148 KB, 911x496
>>29698037
Not exactly a Game,but I enjoyed the hell out of Second Life. For a creative mind it was a fantastic playground where ingenuity and effort could make wonders,and better yet,you could sell those wonders to other players for real money!
>>
>>29698596
The big war of this century is going to make WW1 and WW2 look like a drive by shooting.
>>
>>29696628
>how would you feel if you saw a grown man playing with legos, or toy cars, or plastic swords, or if you saw an adult woman playing with barbies dolls and shit
I wouldn't give a shit because I'm an adult and can handle it when people like things that I don't like.
>>
>>29698645
And probably install a feudalistic/aristocratic system that will last for 4000 years
>>
>>29698305
>Men are supposed to build real cities, drive real cars, kill real people with real guns, etc.
How many of these do you do?
>>
>>29696853
You don't even play video games so how would you know there is none? Also, you're pretty moronic for linking video games to your childhood and thus deeming anyone who plays video games a child.
>>
>>29698596

I dont see why consumerism is immature intrinsically, could you explain why my Dionysian Aztec priest of sacrificial fertility?

I agree though, everyone is a bit childish. Boys for toys into adult age. Women pushing "x is the new y"

where x is an older age and y is a younger age.
>>
>>29698645
>>29698596
there should be some sort of sociological investigation into your kind. the "we need a war right now i wanna kill or be killed" type. why are you so abnormal? who the hell actually wants to fight in a war? do you think it's like your movies or video games? the fuck is wrong with you people
>>
it's always amusing watching all the kiddies from /v/ come swarming over here and defend their childish waste of time
>>
File: 1418316199339.jpg (123 KB, 536x768) Image search: [Google]
1418316199339.jpg
123 KB, 536x768
>>29696628
video games are normie tier

fucking everybody plays them

if you're trying hard to avoid them, you're like those autistic kids who dress like it's the 50s and claim to listen to jazz and classical because they think it makes them mature
>>
>>29698687
isn't everything a waste of time? your whole life is a waste of time.
>>
>>29698687
your hobby is sitting on your ass on the angry virgin sperglord 4chan board and trying to make people mad

fuck childish, you never even grew up
>>
>>29698665
None, I'm poor.
>>
File: 1401798655458.jpg (64 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1401798655458.jpg
64 KB, 499x499
>tfw started playing video games with 23

Nice try OP

>>29698687
What are your hobbies?
>>
>>29698305
>>29698737
kek

figures
>>
>>29698678
>Dionysian Aztec priest of sacrificial fertility

There is a reason why Dionysian was a fertility God and was always paired against Apollo who was Law and Order.
Or why the Aztecs priests sacrificed people at the altar.

The belief that sacrificing ______ will revitalize our decaying society. For the Aztecs, it was to sacrifice people so the Sun Gods would allow fertility on the land. Like wise, there's still human sacrifice rituals in contemporary times, like some wars.
People are fucked up,you and I probably do some scapegoating ourselves and aren't aware of it.
>>
>>29698305
>stop playing fantasy vidya
>become a magician
>get paid to to do shows to apathetic audiences in dive bars

so this is what being an adult is like
>>
>>29697061
Yeah competitive gaming is a fast and convenient way of seeing results of improvement, but I just find that the amount of time needed to 'git gud' could be spend on other stuff like studying if you are in college, or even picking up new knowledge.

>>29697080
Most competitive players will never reach that level.
>>
>>29698831
Well you could always be Crowley or Alan Moore or Isaac Plumbo.
>>
>>29698678
erich fromm wrote some stuff on the topic in "escape from freedom"

if you're compelled to kill or be killed, suddenly your potential and responsibilities are reduced to a simple choice, and you're relieved of the burden of freely determining your future
>>
>>29696628
>>29696645
>>29696723

I remember when I stopped playing video games a few years ago when I was 16.

Previously, I had played 2000+ hours of Arma 3, 2000+ hours of Gmod, 500 hours of TF2, and 500 hours off C:SS. I had recently lost 110 pounds in the gym, but I was still playing video games.

Then I installed Linux and just went cold turkey. I never even wanted to go back. Now I'm way more productive.

I'm not saying I understand what exactly happened. What i'm implying is that you might have a mental roadblock preventing you from growing up. Perhaps it should just click for you like it did for me.
>>
>>29699071
Nothing is stopping anyone from growing up. And people who try to shame you for something are dirty fucking normies and deserve to die.
>>
>>29699071
Most modern games being garbage is what reduced my hours. The only modern game that I liked was ruined by normies so I'm back to runescape.
>>
>>29696628

Video games are the most chill thing anyone can do.

Especially RPGs, or games with stories in it. It's fun to engross yourself in some environment and exploring the game, or just enjoying a great story.

PvP games on the other hand..
>>
>>29698612
how should i have been able to tell
>>
>>29699208
I usually hate story heavy games because

>video game writers

Lore heavy games that use the mediums strength to tell its story on the other hand...
>>
>>29699255

>lore heavy games

stuff like Witcher series? I liked that one despite /v/ hating it.

there's some good story games out there. Life Is Strange is one.
>>
>>29699314
More like Dark Souls, not a fan of cutscenes.

Last time I was on /v/ they liked Witcher. I love it, especially the books

>life is strange

too tumblr for me
>>
k I'll take the bait then

>>29696996
>having never played a good visual novel
>having never played a good RPG
>>
>>29699241
Who would mention being on 4chan since 2014? Why would someone say the ride never ends after 2 years? The post I was referring to mentions how 4chan ruins your life. This entire thread has been posting about extended lengths of time, not time as short as two years.
>>
>>29699358

Ahh pity you didn't like Life Is Strange, I thought it was a very good game. or story. Each to his own.

I tried playing Dark Souls on PC but the controls are all haywire. One day I will do it again with an PS3 controller, but unfortunately I don't have one.
>>
>>29697480
There's a similar ratio of good to bad, it's just now with the internet you can hear about all the bad ones.
>>
I would still play them if they were any fun to me. Occasionally there are games that do interesting things with the medium and I check them out. E.g. Antichamber
>>
File: Screenshot_7.png (50 KB, 155x359) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_7.png
50 KB, 155x359
>>29697022
>The last of us
>>
>>29699544
Yee the PC port is shit, japs can't into PC.

Try a controler next time
>>
Video games are generally a pretty shitty, dead-end hobby. It's focused more on consumption than any substantial creation on the individual's part, and has a whole bag of problems with how it fucks over people's sense of delayed gratification. Plus, the community around is overwhelmingly toxic and vile.

Even though this is bait, I do agree with OP to an extent. If you put an average child in a Skinner's box during years of development, don't be surprised when they tend to have problems coping with adult responsibilities irl. This media isn't the only one doing this, but I'd say it's by far the best at it.
>>
Nobody cares, do what you enjoy.
>>
I can understand calling Call of Duty childish, but games like Beyond Two Souls, The Last of Us, etc are not childish.
Most R rated comedies are childish desu.
>>
>>29698702
>claim to listen to jazz and classical because they think it makes them mature
>lelele nobody lieeks jazz for reall!1111 :^) toppest of keks
As an avid jazz listener at the age of 28 I'd like to point out how airheaded you sound right now.
>>
>>29699071
>Now I'm way more productive.
>on 4chan
Please...
>>
>>29700092
Fuck off David Cage, you're a shit writer
>>
>>29700175

> being in denial

I'm still cripplingly lonely, just more productive
Thread replies: 194
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.