[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who here living as a minimalist and happy? >only job I can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9
File: comfy.jpg (76 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
comfy.jpg
76 KB, 800x450
Who here living as a minimalist and happy?

>only job I can find is minimum wage retail
>like the idea of working ~30 hours a week and spending my free time learning stuff like languages
>parents are raging cuz I don't want to finish college and get a difficult but well-paying job

All I want is to be comfortable in a tiny cheap apartment with a simple job a lot of free time. Is it doable, or am I gonna run into trouble sooner or later?
>>
>>29681803
if you want that kind of live, finish college.
>>
>>29681803
Maybe, as long as you can convince yourself that the grass really is greener.
You'll constantly be attacked by normalfaggots trying to justify themselves by bullying you.
You should at least find a job with a union if you can, preferably.

Loneliness isn't that bad of a problem.

>>29681855
The real answer is finding a bullshit job. There are jobs that are a terrible strain that you can get with a college degree (law, medicine, non-bullshit software development (esp in video games)).

You need one of those nice cozy jobs that pay you fairly well to do nothing.
>>
>>29681884
>You need one of those nice cozy jobs that pay you fairly well to do nothing.
What's an example? Something like sysadmin? I imagine that's just checking if the servers are up and fixing a BSOD every once in a while.
>>
>>29682027
Yeah, that's one. Also government jobs. Anything involving computers that's not development is pretty phenomenal.

I work in data entry with a union and it's pretty amazing. It's still not ideal, but it's zero stress.
>>
>>29681803
Don't work retail if you want to maintain your sanity.
>>
File: 1465231211834.png (2 MB, 1223x666) Image search: [Google]
1465231211834.png
2 MB, 1223x666
>>29682071
>>29682027
I should clarify: sysadmin is all over the place. Some sysadmin jobs are a ton of work, others are none. There are a shitton of computer jobs that you can just automate out of existence, though, and keep it a secret from your employer.
>>
>>29682027
I'm a night auditor. Basically I'm paid to browse 4chan and be nocturnal.
>>
File: 1433625944218.jpg (38 KB, 395x368) Image search: [Google]
1433625944218.jpg
38 KB, 395x368
>>29681803
>minimum wage job
>working 30 hours a week
>expensive modernist loft

You don't know what you're talking about, probably some 18 year old who thinks movies and sitcoms represent real life. You can't be independent and live "minimalistically". There's just too much shit you need for a healthy lifestyle. Life is fucking complicated.
>>
>>29681803
>that pic
>tiny and cheap

Tiny and cheap means you'll be living in a run-down studio apartment surround by ghetto niggers.
>>
>>29682071
>>29682112
Well I did drop out of CompSci, so maybe I can get a job like that if I tell them I have experience with computers.

Did you guys go to college for this shit?

>>29682126
That actually sounds like a decent job. Any specific education or certificates you need for that? Night jobs sound pretty good.

>>29682215
>expensive modernist loft
Look for "minimalist living" on google images. I realize that it's gonna be a shitty apartment in the middle of shitville.

>There's just too much shit you need for a healthy lifestyle. Life is fucking complicated.
Enlighten me.
>>
>>29682112
>automate out of existence

Thats me at my job right now, got away with no having to any fucking work for 2 years before my bosses found out. Got to work on a lot of programming and language skills which was nice. still have my job until august at least.
>>
>>29682238
That's the only fucking thing that comes up when you type in "minimalist living" in google images. Do people really underestimate other people's intelligence to that fucking point?
>>
File: 1456095533333.jpg (99 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1456095533333.jpg
99 KB, 1280x720
>>29682314
You can also get a introvert/robot roommate. I have one. It's almost exactly like living alone except half as expensive.
>>
>>29682316
http://interestingengineering.com/programmer-automates-job-6-years-boss-fires-finds/

Yeah yeah go away le leddit etc, but what you said reminded me of that. Did you go to college for it?
>>
>apartment isn't even furnished besides a futon and computer desk in living room
>use cardboard boxes as clothing storage, laundry hampers, etc.
>use paper plates and utensils so I don't have to wash many dishes
>spend $50/week budget on in game purchases on my favorite video games
>save $50/month to upgrade my PC once a year
>have saved a few months expenses so that I'm not living paycheck to paycheck

I rent an upstairs in a duplex. $500/month includes everything but TV and internet. I work 2 part time jobs at Sheetz and Dollar General Comfy so far.
>>
File: 1465771377189.jpg (31 KB, 300x358) Image search: [Google]
1465771377189.jpg
31 KB, 300x358
>>29682238
This. It will also be damp, dirty (or at least in a dirty building), you will hear your neighbors fucking, the sink and toilet will constantly get clogged, and might not even have basic cooking utilities like a stove. I've checked a hundred of studio apartments and very rarely any of them is comfy.

>>29682314
>Look for "minimalist living" on google images.

That's the problem. You're relying on fucking images that sell you a non-doable dream. That picture portrays a generally expensive loft, not some dirty cheap apartment. You can't rent one while working 30 hours a week on minimum wage. You think it portrays "minimalistic" life, but it doesn't portray life at all. Where is the wood for that fire? where are the electric sockets? where are the closets for all your shit? if you don't have a lot of shit, do you just wear the same shirt and pants everyday? do you not have hobbies? are you ready to clean your apartment everyday for it to look so shiny and comfy? eat out everyday because there's no kitchen? it's not an apartment, it's a hotel room at most. Fucking try renting an apartment for a month and then talk about minimalist living.
>>
>>29682314
Nothing specific, but it helps if you already have front desk experience. I applied with zero experience and got the job, but maybe I was just lucky.
>>
>tee hee i'm just enjoying my minimalist apartment, life is so easy when you inherit 10 million dollars
>>
>>29682417
Doesn't sound comfy at all, but I guess we have different standards.
>>
>>29682444
Holy fucking autism. I know what a shitty apartment looks like, but I needed a fucking picture for the thread so I picked the first one I saw you dumb cunt. I know this looks like it's part of a beachside mansion or some shit.
>>
I just got my red seal.
>>
>>29681803
What are you gonna do when you're 45 and have to get surgery because you fucked your ankle up the one winter 15 years ago? McDonalds isn't gonna pay you while you recover for 4 weeks.
>>
>>29682527
My point is that minimalist comfy living doesn't exist. I had a similar dream when I was 18 and thought renting an apartment was so easy and fun, but guess what, it's a shitload of work.
>>
It is doable, but in either rural or ghetto trash areas. I make about 900 a month from minmum wage full time job and pay 280 for my one bedroom with all utilities except electric included. I can still afford internet, gas, car insurance, food, booze, tree, and still have a little left over.
>>
>>29682554
50yo is probably a good time to self-terminate if you're not established, desu
>>
>>29681803

>~30 hours a week minimum wage

I don't think that will get you enough money to live in most apartments, even the shitty ones. You'll probably have to work 40 hours a week at minimum wage for that.
>>
>>29681803
OP, minimum wage at 30 hours a week will barely get you $700 a month after taxes come out. And that's /if/ they schedule you for that much, which retail is notorious for not doing.

I don't know what kind of place you're expecting to get, but even if you're lucky and find a $400 tiny apartment (which is next to impossible), there's still going to be an electricity bill, an internet bill and presumably your car insurance at the least. And that's if water, gas and trash are included in the rent. Your life will be forever at the whims of the person who sets your work schedule.

How could that ever be comfortable? You need to finish college and get a part-time desk job that doesn't pay minimum wage. Minimum wage in retail is one of the least comfortable ways of living.
>>
>>29682585
Can you post pics of your place?
>>
File: an.jpg (491 KB, 1395x2243) Image search: [Google]
an.jpg
491 KB, 1395x2243
>>29682648
Looks straight from 1995, but okay
>>
>>29682405

lol, yes you can automate software testing, but doing so completely defeats the point of why testing is done. His processes probably let all sorts of crap through that could've been caught during testing if he was actually doing his job.
>>
>>29682712
Looks pretty decent imo, is that just rural or in the ghetto?
>>
>>29682712
Wow, that retro look is actually pretty cool. Nice work FAGGOT
>>
>>29682754
Town of 1800 in rural northwest illinois
>>
File: 1465306292587.png (42 KB, 500x322) Image search: [Google]
1465306292587.png
42 KB, 500x322
>>29682712
People still have carpeted floors in their homes?
>>
>>29682766
I'm happy about my situation. Its better than when I was homeless last year.
>>
>>29682804
It looks pretty comfy, but I'm an audio guy so I might just be thinking acoustically
>>
>>29682807
Story? How did you become homeless and what's it like?
>>
>>29682775
Yeah, seems like OP's best bet is to go rural. I managed a $400/mo with electricity and water included in a town of about 600 a few years ago. It's way safer and quieter than ghetto too.
>>
>>29682838
>It's way safer and quieter than ghetto too.

It also has less commercial services, less jobs so you have to commute, and you have to have your own car. There's a reason those places are cheaper. What you get in comfiness you lose in convenience, which is part of comfiness.
>>
>>29682952
Truth. I work from home, so rural is my ideal. If OP actually has any skills leftover from that comp sci major, it's possible he could pull of working for home as well.
>>
I don't want many material possessions

Literally all I want is an easy job and a gf and I'd be happy

But I'm a virgin NEET. What should I do anons?
>>
>>29683001
What do you suggest? I dare you to say freelancing. I double dare you motherfucker.

pls respond
>>
>>29682605
>part-time desk job that doesn't pay minimum wage
Like what jobs? Examples? I don't wanna go through college without knowing that I can for sure get into a comfy job/lifestyle.
>>
File: 1006150845.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
1006150845.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1600
>>29682828
The worst things about homelessness was not actually the lack of decent food, though hunger pains suck, the worst is rain. I hate the rain still. I sometimes will freeze in fear when I leave a building and it's raining and my eyes widen in fear that all my stuff is now destroyed. I can't sleep. Theres no place where I can go to sleep that is covered where police or other people will see me when it rains. So I'm forced to stay awake. I was always tired and malnutrition fucked with that. I would walk for miles everyday to find change on the ground and it would be about 2 or 3 dollars at the end of the day and use it for fast food and would sit at McDonalds and read the paper or something. I'd read books at the library for entertainment.

I was homeless because my only known relative died, and I couldn't find any work then to live anywhere. I didn't trust the other homeless people in my area so I never learned any resources.

I turned to busking (i sing well) and got a bus ticket and literally went to a middle of nowhere town on the line to see if I could start new here. I had nothing to lose. I found a warehouse job at 9 an hour (okay so it's a little above minimum wage) with no questions asked, paid in cash under the table. I secretly lived in the woods behind the park. I was able to save up for a car. Then my apartment a couple months after. And it's been like this ever since

I wish I had an ability to make some friends here.

Pic related is my sleeping bag and shit on my last day of living in the park and moving into my car.
>>
>>29683245
God damn dude holy fuck. How old are you? I feel so bad for you, must be blissful to have a place, no matter how small it seems to others. Congrats on getting out of that shitty situation.
>>
>>29683245
I am glad you okay now anon.
>>
>>29683088
>doesn't want material possessions
>still wants a gf
Pick one. No woman is gonna put up with a guy who lives like a monk.
>>
>>29681803

Me. I work low paying jobs part time, and just rarely buy anything I don't really need. Working full time drives me crazy. I just don't have enough time to recharge and relax between weeks. My issue is that I always end up in retail, which has effectively sucked the life from me.
>>
>>29684218
I don't understand the post. Do you work full time or part time right now? In retail or something else?
>>
>>29683100
>I don't wanna go through college without knowing that I can for sure get into a comfy job/lifestyle.
It's the same for me: I know I can get a job if I finish my CompSci bachelor, but everyone I know is expected to almost always be available in case of urgent troubleshooting or features that need implementation right away. I know a guy who works at a small company and basically only works and sleeps. He also has a 1.5 hour commute (3 hours per day total).

Even if it's not THAT extreme, people are often still required to spontaneously go to the job in case of things that needs to be done quickly, or to work overtime in case an application needs to be finished within a short period.

All that sounds like hell to me, but the alternative of working a minimum paying job is not much better. I really don't know what to do, I'm fucking lost.
>>
>"minimalist" apartment
>10 million dollar flat
Yeah, no.
>>
I am legit autistic with anxiety. I have neetbux since I was 18 and living alone since then. My lifestyle is:

>live in tiny bachelor apartment, very old but I keep it clean
>tiny kitchen, mostly cook with slowcooker
>all items in apartment came from Salvation Army except my laptop, headphnoes and ipod Touch (don't have a phone)
>bought all those used at pawn shop
>very carefully budget meals, easy to eat cheap due to autism meaning I like chicken, rice and broccoli every night
>spend most of the day in good weather just wandering the city
>go to the library every other day, lots of movies and graphic novels mostly
>pirate all other media
>have small budget to see the odd movie but it sets off my anxiety bad so I usually don't
>make my own decent wine with equipment I got for free on craiglist, each bottle is less than $1
>saving up for a VR headset if it comes out one doesn't suck
>last big purchase was a fleshlight
>can easily move to cheaper places when they come up because I only own a Tupperware bin full of stuff.
>>
>>29685206
>thinking the pic is 100% related to the post
Are you literally, LITERALLY retarded?
>>
>>29685432
Do you like the lifestyle? Do you ever wish things were different?
>>
My first apartment when I moved out was "minimalist". 400 sq ft. Only had a bed, my clothes, laptop, cooking materials, food, and that was it. No furniture, entire living room was empty.

My current place is fully furnished 1000 sq.ft and I am seriously considering getting rid of everything. How do I make my decision?
>>
>>29685934
Become depressed, lose all your interests, etc.
>>
>>29685981
Way ahead of you already. Haven't had any real interest for the past 2-3 years. The depression meme is starting to also make me want to go to a shrink and get put on meds.
>>
>>29685717
I do, honestly. I tried to work through high school because there was never enough money at home (parents worked on and off but had gambling addiction problems). My anxiety fucked it up every time. Now I can go outside without anxiety as long as I have my headphones on.

The last six months have actually been nice. I found my waifu and started learning French because that's her original dub language. I've enjoyed it a lot. Being with her even just in my mind is nice.

Part of me wishes I didn't just give in to anxiety and avoided it and challenged myself more. The other part of me says "You're already on drugs, you already tried, just give in and enjoy what you have". I don't really get lonely but I guess I wish I did contribute more to this world.

Obviously I'd rather not have been born broken but I don't think there's any fixing that at this point.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.