[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you fight depression and anxiety ? And i'm not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 1466920224484.jpg (31 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
1466920224484.jpg
31 KB, 720x480
How do you fight depression and anxiety ?

And i'm not talking about the >tfw no gf bullshit, i'm talking about the legitimate existential crisis where nothing makes sense and where you no longer have certitudes.
>>
Being active and having goals is the only way. You need to have something to work toward, even if it seems useless.

After ignoring your feels and just going forward for a while, you'll get interested in the goal if you pick it intelligently.
>>
>>29675582
>having goals

I can't project myself further than five minutes. And i can't even begin to imagine having goals in my current state.
>>
Fucking help me i beg you.
>>
>>29675643
If you won't, then I have no further advice.

And don't kid yourself, you can make goals, anyone can. You are simply refusing to.

Here's one: take a walk every day.
>>
>>29675975
I already do a walk every day.
>>
>>29675541
hey op.

I don't think theres an easy answer to your question. I've gone through years of pretty disabling depression, never got help, tried to treat it with distractions like drugs, video games, work, school. I was in a relationship for a few years and that was the best distraction of all. But when that ended, everything picked up right where it left off.

I've been doing a little better lately for a few reasons, maybe worth keeping in mind:
- get in shape, eat right, your mental state depends more on your health than you realize.
- read books, I like russian literature because theres something about living in such a shitty place that makes the general tone relatable to a depressed person.
- Abuse drugs in moderation. Sometimes I'll buy some pills or something and save it for a weekend, then get high and go for a walk in the woods or to a show. Gives me something that i can be sure to look forward to.
- Goals. End of the day, you need goals or some greater sense of purpose to not be depressed. Use the above, and others, to deal with short term problems, find goals to help long term.
>>
>>29675541
Submit yourself to change. Go to a different store, buy different food items, change the room you eat in. Swap out the places for furniture and clean while you're at it. Throw away something that has annoyed you slightly and replace it with something new. Humans love change and small positive improvements in their lives. The goal is to trick your primitive brain so even if it rationally feels stupid the life style change keeps you interested in life. Also go out more and maybe stretch/ do push ups and stuff every now and then. The body likes when it's being used.
>>
Give up and wait until there's something that triggers your instincts more than the pain. Only reason I eat is so I don't have to feel the pain of starving.
>>
just bee urself m80 :^D
>>
File: 1466599369311.jpg (44 KB, 488x410) Image search: [Google]
1466599369311.jpg
44 KB, 488x410
>>29675541
>fighting the depression
just let it wash over you
>>
>>29676169
>change

Interesting. See i've been in a huge routine since a good year now. Like always the same places, always the same bus, always the same work, always the same workout. I think before the depression "exploded" like it is now, i was already feeling a little bit tired of this routine.

The depression "exploded" in a form of dizziness. Suddenly i felt strange, like drunk. And it never left me since, i feel out of this world, depersonalized, like a spectator not an actor. And this create massive anxiety because it feels you're no longer living your life like "you should" but through a filter.

That's my state right now. That and permanent fatigue.
>>
>>29676231
>i feel out of this world, depersonalized, like a spectator not an actor.

DUDE you are having a STROKE. Get to a hospital ASAP
>>
go outside
do something nice for yourself
meet friends
be yourself
>>
>>29675541
music sex and keeping myself busy even if i hate that shit. give myself deadlines to do shit and it gets done.

i was pretty shitty from 13-20 though and it took a lot of small steps so it probably isn't that simple.

best thing that i learned to do was ignore the negative shit on the internet/life or things that didn't affect me, and listen to podcasts/interviews of really successful and bright people. i wouldn't say tim ferriss is the best or first person to look at but he has a ton of shit to listen to and he's the same kind of person that we all talk about here naturally. the guy was always sick and horribly depressed until he just found random ass hobbies and traveled.
>>
>>29675975
Why set a goal that I have no real interest in? Wouldn't that just be begging to fail?
>>
The only way to really fight depression is suicide.

Everyone realizes the shit you realize, they just figure ways to distract themselves from it.
>>
>>29676463
Nice try. One month would be a long ass stroke.
>>
>>29675541
you can't, most people don't believe this because they never truly understand

most people don't understand the mixture of nihilism, hard determinism and atheism that results in crippling pseudo-depression

I say pseudo because its not the normal kind, it's its own thing, if you've felt it you'll know, and I'm terrible at articulating so I can't describe it
>>
>>29676695
considering the only way anyone can really respond to thoughts like the OP is "lol don't think about stuff like that" should tell you everyone feels the exact same way.
>>
I feel like I'm past-everything. I have realized that there's no point in complaining. No point in thinking about things. People have been in this position already, there is nothing special about it. Everything I do or think stops shortly after it begins due to the realization that it's not worth it. Maybe not the thing itself, but the "core" issue and that's preventing anything.
I don't even know how to describe this. Realizing those things gives me this feeling of despair and anxiety. I don't want to do anything, but die. Since I am currently not in a position to end myself, I have no choice but to endure the despair and anxiety.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.