[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much do you believe hard work is essential for success?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: 1313477105651.jpg (43 KB, 500x328) Image search: [Google]
1313477105651.jpg
43 KB, 500x328
How much do you believe hard work is essential for success?
>>
99% of it is unless you're lucky enough to be born a genius.
>>
>>29670747
No matter how hard you work, if you're born into a shit enough situation, you ain't going anywhere.
>>
File: mono.jpg (7 KB, 196x180) Image search: [Google]
mono.jpg
7 KB, 196x180
if you want success, pick one:

1. Do hard work yourself

2. Have ability to get others to do hard work for you

#2 is the millionaire btw
>>
>>29670747
About 30%. People skills/connections makes up another 30% and luck/opportunity makes up the final 40%.

Unless I've forgotten something.
>>
work will set you free!

(non originalisimo)
>>
>>29670747
It is all bullshit. Yeah work is part of it, but 99% of getting a job and making money depends on having connections. You could be the hardest working guy on the planet now, if you don't know someone in the place you want to work you're shit out of luck.
>>
>>29670802
2. is still working his ass off to find the right people who wont screw shit up and all the PR stuff etc. etc.
>>
Of course hard work is required

What a stupid question

That's why the successful people are managing directors putting in at least 60-70 hours a week and the dregs of society are lazy pieces of shit who use drugs every day
>>
It's just one part of what's essential. You can work your ass off but unless you're lucky and charismatic, it's for nothing. Conversely you can be lucky and charismatic, but if you don't do any hard work you won't be getting anywhere either.
>>
>>29671287
>managing directors put in 60-70 hours a week
At that level, you don't do much work at all. You just play golf with the other members of the board and try not to rock the boat or piss anyone off.

You pass all your work to your underlings. You claim their success and sabotage them if they get too good.
All you can do on less than 8 hours a week.
>>
>>29671389
This is so retarded i dont even know where to begin.
All projects need planning and proper team assembly, schedule, sourcing and so much more.

I am pretty sure you are thinking about investors who put like 20million $$ in a business and come 20 years later to collect their fat dividend bonus checks.
>>
>>29671444
>All projects need planning and proper team assembly, schedule, sourcing and so much more.

You've been working less than a year, probably a recent graduate or a shitposting neet.
>>
>>29671465
Cool argument mate. Just shows you have no clue what you are talking about. Stop learning how the world works from movies.
>>
>claiming you know how the employment world works
>not even mentioning that you just get used most of the time, aka hire and fire policy
>tfw victim of the cost-effective strategy of a company although you really invested into your career there and worked more than you needed
>tfw instead of an advantage all you get is a bad resume because of short term employment

Yeah no fuck modern employers
>>
>>29670876
this

dsafsdfsadfsdf
>>
>>29670747

Hard work is a predictor of success, but plenty of people get success through connections or by cheating the system and some work hard and get fucked.

You can totally work your ass off for a company and get rekt at the end because of things totally outside of your control.
Manager at my first job promoted his fiance over me. Manager at my second job promoted his best friend over me. That's just bad luck and all that hard work just makes me a good goy, it brought me nothing.

On the other hand, hard work is the main factor in acquiring skills. Studies show that it trumps everything, genetics, IQ, etc. It may not be enough to reach success but it is necessary to acquire great skills, there's just no shortcuts to excellence.
>>
Hard work is important, but even more important is consistent effort over a long period of time.

Working normally every day is better than spurts of super effort.
>>
Being an NBA player is entirely genetically given talent. The difference between some random NBA journeyman and players like Jordan or Kobe is hard work though
>>
>>29670747
it's pretty much all talent and luck

if you're working hard for no reason you'll probably end up being exploited by someone who isn't a sucker, what do you think happens to 90% of high achievers they get shunted into smart people jobs while the managerial class get all the profit
>>
very little. Most celebreties and rich people are highly mediocre people.
It's all about how much ass are you willing to kiss and how much backs are you willing to stab.
>>
>>29671267
This.

If Wolf of Wallstreet taught us anything, it's that the boss of a company needs to motivate and deliver good shit to keep people wanting to do bullshit they wouldn't have an interest in doing in a million years
>>
>>29670848

This, with the percentages varied a little depending on career/life path (e.g. a person starting a business needs more charisma than a scientist)

Basically, your potential is measured by things you can't control--the hard work just allows you to reach it. Potentials vary widely; a person with Down syndrome isn't going to start the next Amazon.
>>
90% of the people in here saying hard work doesn't matter much have never worked hard for more than an entire week I bet. This is r9k for Christ sake don't listen to these morons they will just spew bullshit all day
>>
>>29674354
I agree
>tfw you are not 1.9-2m tall and get paid 5,6 then 7 figures per year in your basketball career
>>
>>29674690

Yet there are countless examples of people who work way less and earn way more, do you dispute that?
>>
>>29674731
Most of those people put in the necessary work for years before they could get to that point of doing next to nothing
>>
>>29674690
Nigger, hard work only pays off if it is in something you actually like.

Everything else can range from putting your foot in the door to pissing in the wind
>>
>>29674696
Some nba players just signed 100million dollar contracts. Shits getting ridiculous
>>
>>29674769
Then focus only on the things that you are sure you can make some type of money in and actually enjoy. Everybody knows this
>>
File: 1447244659410.jpg (92 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
1447244659410.jpg
92 KB, 612x612
>>29670747
Well anon, the only way to get what you want is to move toward it and do what it takes to make it happen. Sometimes that takes a lot of work if you don't have a lot of resources to start with. So, yeah, I would say doing the work required, putting in an effort is essential. That doesn't,mean it has to always be a slog. I mean yeah, there are hurdles to get over but sometimes working is fun. I enjoy painting and woodwork but it is still work. Attitude is critical. You won't stick with it if your attitude is negative.
>>
Life is about gambles and percentage chances. Working hard will increase your chances of success, but your chance of success is NEVER 100% and your chance of failure, death, etc is NEVER ZERO.
>>
File: bullets.jpg (41 KB, 351x450) Image search: [Google]
bullets.jpg
41 KB, 351x450
>>29670747
>work real hard at retail slave job
>managers say something about it a lot
>get more hours, OT, and call ins than people who have way more seniority than me
>all it takes is one person to complain to the union/management about my OT because I haven't even been there a year and it's all bad from there
>haven't even been at the job for 1 year
>other people are just lazy and older whereas I am young (18) and faster and physically fit even though I'm a skelly
>>
>>29670747
Hard work/performance level can matter, but you need to find the right situation first. That's the difficult part, especially for robots who have low/zero social status, because succeeding in college and finding your early employment opportunities relies on having connections and effective social skills, or in my case, simple dumb luck.

Once you get past that point, life does get easier. I'm an unsocial 35 year old virgin and I finally managed to find a good job where my comp sci skills are being utilized a few years ago.
>>
Intelligent work is essential for sucess

Also how much you're willing to stab others in the back

My dad worked hard for his entire life and he's still poor and can't afford a car
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.