[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Silencing of gene affects people's social lives
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: 20151201WhatIsAutism-844-2.jpg (167 KB, 844x495) Image search: [Google]
20151201WhatIsAutism-844-2.jpg
167 KB, 844x495
Date: June 20, 2016

Source: University of Georgia

Summary: Psychologists have found that the silencing of a specific gene may affect human social behavior, including a person's ability to form healthy relationships or to recognize the emotional states of others.

>A team of researchers...at the University of Georgia have found that the silencing of a specific gene may affect human social behavior, including a person's ability to form healthy relationships or to recognize the emotional states of others.

>In a paper published June 20 in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, scientists examined how a process known as methylation, which can reduce the expression of specific genes, affects a gene called OXT. This gene is responsible for the production of a hormone called oxytocin, which is linked to a wide range of social behaviors in humans and other mammals.

>"Methylation restricts how much a gene is expressed," said Brian W. Haas, the study's lead author and assistant professor of psychology in UGA's Franklin College of Arts and Sciences. "An increase in methylation typically corresponds to a decrease in the expression of a gene, so it affects how much a particular gene is functioning.

>"When methylation increases on the OXT gene, this may correspond to a reduction in this gene's activity. Our study shows that this can have a profound impact on social behaviors."

>Haas and his collaborators collected saliva samples from more than 120 study participants to perform genetic tests that show the levels of methylation on the OXT gene. The participants went through a battery of tests to evaluate their social skills as well as their brain structure and function.

>"Participants with greater methylation of the OXT gene were less accurate in describing the emotional states of the people they saw in pictures," he said. "That's a typical characteristic associated with autism, for example."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/06/160620160158.htm
>>
blah blah blahh
>>
>>29669855

Thanks for the great contribution.
>>
>>29669855
lel

>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 450x331) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 450x331
Never though I'd see this on 4chan lel. I'm actually trying to treat my methylation
Issues now
>>
>>29670850
Interesting. I usually roll my eyes on self diagnosis crap like MBTI and assburgers which people use as a crutch and end up molding their identity over perpetuating their problems but this might be something. How do you get it treated?
>>
>>29670875
MBTI is horoscope tier but I don't see how high-functioning autism is self diagnosis when you have psychologists diagnosing it. If you do an intelligence test on an aspie the result will come back all fucked up which is pretty undeniable.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.