[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can you tell if you have a mental/emotional affliction like
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: wojak.png (413 KB, 4344x5000) Image search: [Google]
wojak.png
413 KB, 4344x5000
How can you tell if you have a mental/emotional affliction like ADD and Depression?

If I have a broken arm, I can see that my arm is broken and feel it right away. What does ADD & Depression feel like?

What if they don't exist within me but are just symptoms of my shitty environment?
>>
>>29664016
I think about this a lot. Some days I think it would be for the best to go see a doctor and on others I think that I'm just fooling myself and that I've "memed" myself into self diagnosis.
>>
>>29664145
>Some days I think it would be for the best to go see a doctor

I think that would be the best way to find out, but even then I'm worried that I'll accidentally lie when being asked questions or the doctor will fuck up and I won't get a proper diagnostic.

Especially with ADD, I wonder if it's not just the product of my environment. I have trouble focusing on one task and finish it before moving on to the next, but maybe that's because my daily routine involves having about 20 different tabs open in two web browsers, usually while playing a game on my phone.

but then if I walk away from my computer and my phone, I can sit down and watch a movie or read a book without having to do 19 other things.
>>
Like most other illnesses, by speaking to a qualified doctor.

For depression especially, I would recommend not worrying about the "cause" (whether it's produced by your hormones or by your life situation), but how its affecting your life. Are you not doing things you used to enjoy doing? Are you finding yourself over/under sleeping or eating? There are a lot of symptoms you can easily spot.

Because you mentioned environmental factors, I would recommend finding a psychiatrist (in case you are worried about getting started on drugs without being "really" depressed). Even if you are not depressed, having someone emotionally removed from your situation to talk to is a large help.
>>
>>29664016
Just started a new antidepressant, a stimulant sdri. It's making me tired rather than energetic, apparently that's why it's used for adhd treatment.

People with adhd tend to get paradoxical effects from stims. My doctor is a total bro and maybe says too much, he insists that 95% of people prescribed adhd meds are either lying for pills or misdiagnosed and it's really very rare.
>>
>>29664145
>>29664202
Speaking again of depression, it's important to remember that there are still "bad" and "good" days. I'll often find myself having my worst days away from my therapist and really needing someone to speak to, and on the days I actually get to see her then I'm suddenly feeling fine and have nothing to talk about. The feeling of "lying to yourself" is also a common symptom (of this and many other emotional distresses).

A change of environment is always helpful, but like it's been said, speaking to a qualified professional is the most important step.
>>
>>29664259
I know exactly what you mean.

Saw my t today and I felt much better than usual, felt like it was a waste of time for both of us. Just yesterday I couldn't wait to get a lot of feels out.

Bipolar II, though. So that's kinda typical.

What meds work for you?
>>
>>29664321
From what I've garnered it's an extremely frequent feeling among mentally ill. I'd wager it's because we have the anxiety of not being able to release these feelings adding onto said feelings, whereas on the days we can talk about them that relief is there.

>What meds work for you?
None to be honest. I'm currently on Cipralex, but I'm going to see my doctor this month and ask to either up the dosage or switch to a different brand. Therapy works best for me but I can never see my therapist often enough (usually only three-five times a year) because I don't live in town anymore.
>>
>>29664016

I have severe ADHD and I am not depressed. The only thing I feel is anxiety but I recognize it. It actually created over the long term a huge tension headache that didn't leave for a year. I ended up having to go on a regime of klonopins. Even then I still had to exercise, get massages, etc. I was never not a happy dude though.
>>
>>29664218
>in case you are worried about getting started on drugs without being "really" depressed

Actually I would love to be on performance/mood enhancing drugs. My worry is NOT being prescribed them.
>>
These articles by Dr. Jerry Coyne (not a medical doctor, keep in mind) might be relevant to your interests.

https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2011/06/25/is-medical-psychatry-a-scam/

https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2010/05/27/is-depression-an-adaptation/
>>
>>29664393
Then worry not, because the trend is to over-prescribe, not under.

Although in my experience anti-depressants don't elevate your mood so much as "flatten" them.
>>
>>29664393

Are you aware of the generic drug problems that have been finally getting coverage in the mainstream media?

Tons of generic drugs at pharmacies in the US are now from India and China where regulation is sparse. The FDA doesn't test generic drugs before approving them, and there have been multiple cases of them not working like the name brand and causing bizarre/horrific side effects and the FDA is basically sitting on their hands and still saying "they're equivalent" even when on multiple cases they were shown not to be and Ranbaxy corporation just paid like half a billion dollars in fines to the US government over it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/business/global/ranbaxy-in-500-million-settlement-of-generic-drug-case.html?_r=0
>>
>>29664361
I've switched from ir to sr bupropion amd it's like a totally different drug.

I feel great, just apprehensive about relying on pills to keep my head screwed on. Talking things out does help me, but it's slow going and I'm not really comfortable with my t.

Can't shop for a new one because it's a free service, guess I'm getting what I pay for.

What is it that helps, exactly? I really want to get the most from therapy but I always wind up telling long-winded stories, occasionally get "sounds like you sometimes (behavior) when (situation)" replies and really only go to keep my scrip.
>>
>>29664393
I recommend a dopaminergic antidepressant. Works wonders, better than any SSRI I've tried.
>>
File: bieber_harper-1.jpg (155 KB, 940x705) Image search: [Google]
bieber_harper-1.jpg
155 KB, 940x705
>>29664449
I'm Canadian though
>>
ADD does not exist by the way. It is only ADHD.

It does however change when you get older. After puberty it becomes a whole different shindig.
>>
>>29664462
Nice, I'm glad you've found a good med for you.

As far as my therapy goes, I just don't have many friends and can't talk to my family much, so having someone I can unload all of my feelings and anxieties onto is just beneficial in and of itself. She has also taught me a lot of "mind-tricks" or whatnot to help me remind myself that my suicidal thoughts are just "thoughts"--basically things that seem empty and obvious, but after coming from someone in person they actually stick.

Comfort, though, is the number one most important factor in a therapist. I trust and rely on mine 100%, and just being around her relieves a lot of emotional burden. Even if your service is free then please do shop around, because if you are not comfortable then it's impossible to get the full support you need.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.