[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Theism vs Atheism debate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: anselm.jpg (42 KB, 396x360) Image search: [Google]
anselm.jpg
42 KB, 396x360
Thread theme song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv1opiP6v0o

Does God exist, guys? Or is there no God?

Is agnosticism the only reasonable position?
>>
Agnosticism isn't its own position.
>>
>>29660474

Please, clarify what you mean by this.
>>
>>29660503
You can't just be agnostic. If you don't actively believe in a god, you're an atheist. Your position on whether or not such a thing can be known is irrelevant.
>>
>trying to apply human logic to a godly being
>thinking it actually gives a fuck about us
>>
>>29660452
God existing or not existing is kind of a logical fallacy.

He wants faith, but if he were to give evidence that he existed, then you wouldn't worship him out of faith, but out of fear of what he will do to you.

And if he doesn't give evidence that he exists, then there is no reasonable reason to believe in him or worship him.

This whole debate is kind of old and worn out. Agnosticism is kind of the only logical position you can have.
>>
File: 1454275010056.jpg (11 KB, 221x228) Image search: [Google]
1454275010056.jpg
11 KB, 221x228
>>29660572
did you really just type this out, did you read it back to you again before posting this?
>>
File: 1452707651643.png (610 KB, 700x865) Image search: [Google]
1452707651643.png
610 KB, 700x865
>>29660693
anon what is this picture trying to tell us
>>
>>29660452
There have been so many Gods/Goddesses that mankind has believed in over the years

i just see the whole point moot

what am i going to do? just pick the current flavour of the month?

the Abrahamic god has zero evidence just like all the rest
>>
>life is what it is based on your experience of it
>if i experience God then for me, it's real.
>your opinion is irrelevant.

>thinking the universe didn't come from intelligence.
>thinking you can fathom your own consciousness

I feel bad for atheists, that they don't have a connection with God. But it's not a big deal, and I don't try to convince anybody.
>>
>>29660727
That the ability to cook, in itself, is attractive in itself. So if you are conventionally unattractive (like the guy in the top right frame), girls will still find you attractive if they see you cooking.
>>
>>29660693
>He wants faith, but if he were to give evidence >that he existed, then you wouldn't worship him out of faith, but out of fear of what he will do to you

Is your only concept of God a religious one? Are you even aware that there are multiple religions, you're only going off of one.
>>
>>29660739
>I feel bad for atheists, that they don't have a connection with God.

which one
>>
>>29660769
Okay, that was worded poorly. What I mean is that most religions reward good behaviour. If you are only doing good things because you know god exists and he will hurt you if you don't, then your good actions are genuine.

If you do it out of the goodness of your heart instead of for some ulterior motive, then your goodness is more genuine.
>>
>>29660699

Gnostic theist: "I believe in God and know for a fact he exists"
Agnostic theist: "I believe in God but I don't know for sure if he exists"
Gnostic atheist: "I don't believe in God and I know for a fact he doesn't exist"
Agnostic atheist: "I don't believe in God but I don't know for sure if he exists"
>>
>>29660797
>which one

What do you mean? There is only one, the most high. I don't dabble with religion if that is what you're getting at.
>>
>>29660820
> What I mean is that most religions reward good behaviour.

>Islam
>Inasallah brother! you killed 50 children with that bomb! good work! 72 virgins await you!
>>
>>29660873
>What do you mean?

Theres been over 10,000 gods that man has believed in

>There is only one, the most high.

Zeus? Chronus? Odin/wodan?
>>
File: 46217583.png (82 KB, 558x1552) Image search: [Google]
46217583.png
82 KB, 558x1552
stop making these

take it to /b/
>>
>>29660739
I am ok with sacrificing my connection with God in favor of my connection with reality. Every process is explainable when you use science to pursue truth.

I believe in god, but not God. It is not a person, it is simply the sum of all physical processes in our universe. To pray to it would be retarded. In order to enact real change in the universe, you must act within the physical laws of it.
>>
>>29660905

Obviously he means cthulu.
>>
>>29660625
This right here. I think there is a form of higher intelligence(s) but we'd understand it/them as much as one of the transport proteins in our cells understand how the human conscious works. To attempt to ascribe human thoughts and emotions to a being beyond comprehension is pretty ridiculous.
>>
>>29660942
nah, he said the most high, Cthulu is down in the ocean
>>
Agnostics are fucking pussies that won't pick a side of the fence. They just sit on the fence. Anyone that even says the term agnostic needs to fucking kill themselves. You're either an atheist, or a theist. If you have a slither of hope there is a god like an agnostic, congratulations, you're a fucking theist.

My god. Just use atheist if you want to be edgy. I was an atheist to be edgy, but now I seriously don't believe in a God(s).
>>
>>29660955
Perfect. I'm an atheist, and this is essentially my take on the universe.
>>
>>29660452
I'm confused by that equation.
I know first order logic, but it seems he's using a notation that I'm not familiar with. Like the first line:
"there exists an x so that (x is bigger than Y) implies X is God"
Is that it?
I think this premiss is questionable. Or is it supposed to be "there exists an x, so for every y: X>Y implies X is god"? In that case there's a lack of the upside down A
>>
>>29660905
what's it like recycling arguments over and over?
Don't you get tired of it?
>b-but them religious people are dumb and I need to stop this

after reading god delusion is that as long as religious people don't get to do politics, we shouldn't give a fuck
>>
>>29660452
The only FUNDAMENTAL problem with the belief in God is that it takes so many assumptions to believe with anything resembling certainty.

For a god to exist, one must assume
>the universe could not have existed on its own
>God however, Can exist on his own
>The universe had a finite beginning
>God however, is eternal
>Presumably it would then follow that for an infinite quantity of time before the creation of the universe, God simply existed and chose not to create anything
>God is all powerful and all knowing
>But refuses to take direct action in nearly any situation
>and yet he's all loving as well

I'm not saying he COULD NOT exist, I'm saying if there is a god or gods, it's not in the way we tend to think, and even if it were, this being or beings are either unwilling or unable to impact our lives in ways that cannot otherwise be explained away, and thus are rendered more or less meaningless in our day to day lives until they do decide to meaningfully intervene.
>>
>>29660625

>>trying to apply human logic to a godly being

Is logic really "human logic"?

Logic is like math...is math human math, or is it just math?

Either way, it seems like you're doing it right now. You're LOGICALLY deducing that a "godly" being wouldn't be bound by "logic" because it would be ABOVE logic.

This itself is applying "human logic" to it.

>thinking it actually gives a fuck about us

Why wouldn't it?
>>
>>29660572
Are you fucking retarded? I'm legitimately asking by the way.

Atheism is the believe that there is no god whatsoever. Being Agnostic means that you're open to the existence of god but see no evidence confirming or denying his/it's existence.
>>
>>29661304
No it doesn't. Atheism means not professing a belief in god. It doesn't mean rejecting the idea altogether.
Not accepting A =/= accepting not A
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.