[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So recently I've realized the main reason i'm such
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (11 KB, 391x380) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
11 KB, 391x380
So recently I've realized the main reason i'm such a socially inept faggot: I have a depressing lack of hobbies.

I can actually hold a semi-decent conversation, I'm not really physically unattractive, i'm somewhat /fit/ but I have the personality of a saltine cracker that's been marinated in tap water. I usually just bore people because I don't have any hobbies/interests besides video games, music and I try writing but i'm fucking terrible at it. Decided I should try and find something new to try but I don't really know where to start.

Any somewhat interesting hobbies you guys have?
>>
>>29655722
I can speak from experience that getting hobbies will not give you anything to talk about.

When I was in high school I did Hockey, Cadets, Scouts, Drama and had a job and I was still painfully boring to talk to.
>>
>>29655776
Is there any actual solution to this then?

I mean, if they initiate the conversation I can usually go with whatever topic they want to talk about, but I feel like it's still pretty brief.

And even if it doesn't help with that, I still feel like I'm lacking something in life. Just think I need something more to do than the same shit i've done for years.
>>
>>29655962
I don't know. It's kind of a catch-22. If you talk about yourself and all your cool hobbies you have, people will get bored of you, but if you have nothing to contribute because you have no hobbies, then they get bored with you.

I imagine there is a middle ground you have to navigate. But it probably helps if you have something in common. If you go to a university where everyone plays sports, they probably want to talk about sport, not painting.
>>
Hobbies are a meme. You think chad has any real hobbies outside of work/school and the gym? Come on guy most people are not that interesting.
>>
>>29655722
Take advantage of the oppurtunities around you.
What do hour close friends and relatives do?
Do you know a mechanic? If so, get a project car.
Do you know a musician? If so, take up an instrument.
Do you know an athelet? If so, get them to teach you their exercise routine.
Do you know an outdoorsman? If so, take up fishing.
Cars, gym, fishing, photography, computer programing, guns, antiquing, music; the possibilities are vast.
>>
>>29655722
How about reading into different mythologies? Greek, Roman, Nordic, Abrahamic ... No need to read full texts (though the Ilias or the Odyssee is a nice read), usually outlines suffice to get the story. Check how they are applied/referenced in modern culture, compare different creation myths etc.

>>/po/ is a nice hobby too, though it is more of a pass-time, not a conversation maker.

Honestly though, I would approach an activity completely differently if my primary goal would be to make conversations from it and I despise people who do so, it is essentially what a Normie is to me. I think it bars you from obtaining full and deep enjoyment from it, you should be doing things for their own sake, because they interest you, not because they might yield interesting stories.
>>
Key to good conversation really is to make other person do most of the talking, ask questions about what they do etc., ask them short open ended questions and the conversation will flow from there. You stick relevant info about yoursekf in here and there but if you let them talk majority of the time they walk away feeling very satisfied with conversation.

Body language is also a big part, try to make eye contact periodically, dont stare at their eyes ofc, keep you body open as well.
>>
>>29656151
>Stories that will last a lifetime
aka
stories you can tell to impress normalfags
>>
>>29656040
I'm positive Chads have at least 1 other thing. It's literally impossible to just have work/school and working out.

Everybody has at least some single thing that's their "Thing" y'know? Just feel like i'm a characteristically devoid asshole who just kind of exists but doesn't actually fucking do anything.
>>
>>29656181
lot of sports talk. they actually keep track and watch sports games. care who's playing etc. music too. whatever the current memeshit song is they will parrot lines frequently. uhhh tv too. they watch like walking dead, game of thrones, boring stuff like that. i think they know it's boring too but it's socially acceptable and they can put it on during sex since nobody actually cares about that boring shit.

these subjects are always changing so there's always some new shit to talk about. that's why they're so effective in conversation.
>>
>>29656023
Yeah, I just feel like it'd be alot easier to not come off as a complete aspie if I had something to actually say when people ask me what i'm into.

I imagine being a bit more into sports and all that shit wouldn't hurt either.
>>
>>29655722
>I can actually hold a semi-decent conversation
If you can do this then you must have some kind of hobby, but maybe not in a traditional sense. What do you talk about?
>>
>>29655722
Don't take up hobbies for the sake of being able to have conversations about it. That sounds like the kind of thing women do. Men take up hobbies because they love it, not to please anyone else. A lot of guys have really niche or obscure hobbies that no one else but them cares about for that reason. Just find something that you enjoy just for it's own sake.
>>
>>29656165
>Key to good conversation really is to make other person do most of the talking, ask questions about what they do etc., ask them short open ended questions and the conversation will flow from there. You stick relevant info about yoursekf in here and there but if you let them talk majority of the time they walk away feeling very satisfied with conversation.
This is retarded advice, most of the time the other person will not want to do most of the talking, and if they are then they probably feel awkward and are just doing it because it's better than silence. Most people feel the same as us, just not as bad, they dont always know what to say, and are hoping to find those precious moments and times when you have an actual interesting/funny/good conversation, but it's not easy. When you just talk about yourself you're not going to experience anything new yourself, its new to the other person, not you, so unless they give you input then you feel like it was one sided.

This idea that hobbies make people is flawed, hobbies are not always done passionately, many people do them out of boredom. A good conversation has randomness, intelligence, wit, knowledge, humor, and many other things, and having a hobby is not going to help you until you have reached an advanced stage of doing it and it becomes a topic that you can actually talk in depth about.
>>
>>29656397
most men don't give a shit about sports but they follow it for the sake of being able to talk sports
>>
>>29656464
This applies to every topic. Most conversations are complete bullshit. Even my counselor told me this.

The problem for me is I can't get myself to do the bullshit.
>>
>>29656347
Typically whatever they feel like talking about really. That or just whatever shit's going on at the time. The other day me and a friend, more of an acquaintance I guess, we're talking about this asshole customer who came in literally screaming about some shit. After that though it just seemed quietly awkward.

It's hard to describe but talking isn't really an issue for me, it's just finding subject matter.
>>
>>29656464
Ya, but for most guys sports isn't a "hobby". I think most of them would admit that they just watch it and play it for fun and don't take it very seriously. And the guys for whom it is a hobby generally take it up because of their passion for it.
>>
>>29656552
So once you find a topic to talk about, you can keep talking? Because they are pretty much the same thing; once you start talking about something, you inevitably start bringing in new topics and shit. Most conversations end in a completely different area than where they start
>>
Make things up sometimes. The main purpose of a conversation interaction and entertainment.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.