[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw learning to be neurotypical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: neuro.jpg (71 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
neuro.jpg
71 KB, 960x720
>tfw learning to be neurotypical
>>
>>29651731
I feel like it's too late for me tbqh.
>>
>post tfw
>no face
Looks like learning isn't going well, since you're a full blown autist.
>>
tfw is that feel when
you're thinking of mfw my face when

overgeneralizing like yours and getting angry over pointless miniscule details is a sign of autism though. hire a handler to remove you from the internet.
>>
>>29652326
>not knowing the common knowledge that you're supposed to imagine the face
>>
>>29652326
I've had enough of you fucking newfags

>Tfw

Means That Feeling when

>Mfw

Means my face when

LURK MORE
>>
File: 1450629125215.jpg (56 KB, 616x596) Image search: [Google]
1450629125215.jpg
56 KB, 616x596
>>29652326
tfw means that feel when, retard.
>>
>>29652326
>tfw anons a retardo
>>
PRO TIP:

Generally use contractions when talking casually
ie to friends or to girls

instead of 'can not' use 'cant' and so on. Sounds like a small change but believe me it helps you sound a lot less autistic
>>
it's not really worth it
neuros don't really have anything to offer to the tistic
>>
>>29651731
People keep telling you that autism is for life and you can't change it. It's gotten to the point where they don't even teach coping strategies anymore, and aspergerfucks are only making it worse by calling it diversity and comparing themselves to the lgbt movement. It's disgusting.

You can learn social skills just as well as neurotypicals. And no, it won't be a robotic "manual learning". Your lack of social skills happen because you don't make eye contact amongst other things. You can give autists oxytocin which encourages eye contact, and in theory this could make you learn social skills over time.
>>
>>29652409
>>29652456
>>29652501
You guys are a bunch of morons.
Or this is some next level shit and they are trying to go along with the troll, but I doubt it.
>>
>>29651731
I'm autistic and I had no problem making close friends until I got into college. Of course there was a scattering of inappropriate reactions and bullying throughout, but I definitely didn't start falling behind in popularity until sports became a prerequisite for peer validation (I'm physically hindered).
>>
>>29652740
>Your lack of social skills happen because you don't make eye contact
Great, so we can get criticized for staring instead. "Just make eye contact" is the same quality of advice as "just be yourself".

The only way to learn social skills as an autist is studying it like an academic subject, and the skills gained are far less useful than the neurotypical version because the cognitive load of applying them is far greater. Sure, I can identify facial expressions from a photograph, but that's not the same as identifying them in real time while simultaneously carrying out a conversation.
>>
>>29651731
You autists are so adorable. The world is such a big confusing place for you little rascals, its so cute watching you fumble through it.
>>
>>29652798

Seriously?
Are you really going to break out the "pretending to be retarded" shtick?
>>
>>29651731
>tfw never saw mother of father interacting with other people because they're total introverts who want to be left alone all the time
>>
File: autismlevel.png (95 KB, 517x182) Image search: [Google]
autismlevel.png
95 KB, 517x182
I like to watch news stories where there's a crowd behind the anchor. I pick a person walking who looks good and carefully note how they walk, how they hold their arms and such. I then practice this in front of a mirror
>>
>>29652859
>The only way to learn social skills as an autist is studying it like an academic subject
>because the cognitive load of applying them is far greater
Nope. It's more like learning how to drive, except more natural.

I repeat: Autism do not actually affect social skills in any direct manner. You have the same basic capacity for it as as everyone else, but autism numbs your perception so you don't get the same information input as normal people.

You can cause a neurotypical to exhibit autism-like symptoms via trauma. A traumatized person will also escape into their own mind like the autist does, just for a different reason.

>"Just make eye contact" is the same quality of advice as "just be yourself".
It's a practical advice that is easy to understand. Takes some finesse to get it right but you still know what I mean. "be yourself" is a completely abstract sentence that doesn't mean anything.
>>
>>29651731
Improvement is possible. I recently re-watched Kanon 2006, and compared to watching it when it was first airing there are two demonstrations of social skill that I completely missed the first time:

1. Akiko serving curry for Makoto. This is good social skill because curry is traditionally eaten with a spoon. It avoids drawing attention to her trouble using chopsticks without making it obvious that that is the intention. This is kindness to a neurotypical.

2. Yuuichi asking Shiori for the drawing. If he only insults the drawing then Shiori loses social status. If he only praises the drawing then Yuuichi loses status. If he mildly insults it and then asks to keep it then both gain status. It's a way to praise Shiori without acting beta. This is excellent social skill.
>>
>>29653034
>autism numbs your perception so you don't get the same information input as normal people
We don't have access to intuitive interpretations of non-verbal communication. The only alternative is looking at the positions of the facial muscles, paying attention to the prosody of the voice, etc. and studying them like you're solving a puzzle. You can get very good at this, but it will never be natural. Doing it fast enough to pass as neurotypical is exhausting. If you drop your concentration for a moment the illusion is broken.

>It's a practical advice that is easy to understand
It's practical advice that's completely wrong. I have literally been criticized for staring when I've attempted to make more eye contact. Eye contact is effectively a hidden secret language used for manipulating social status. It's extremely difficult to converse in this language at the same time as conversing in verbal language.
>>
>>29653125
>We don't have access to intuitive interpretations of non-verbal communication. The only alternative is looking at the positions of the facial muscles, paying attention to the prosody of the voice, etc. and studying them like you're solving a puzzle. You can get very good at this, but it will never be natural.
I'm telling you that this is a myth. You're doing the "no you" argument.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2009/05/11/a-radical-new-autism-theory.html

>The markams argue that social difficulties of those with ASDs stem from trying to cope with a world where someone has turned the volume on all the senses and feelings up past 10. If hearing your parents' voices while sitting in your crib felt like listening to Lou Reed's Metal Machine music on acid, you, too, might prefer to curl in a corner and rock.
>But of course, this sort of withdrawal and self-soothing behavior - repetitive movements, echoing words or actions and failing to make eye contact - interferes with normal social development. Without the experience other kids get through ordinary social interactions, children on the spectrum never learn to understand subtle signals.
>>
>>29653050
Note that this kind of understanding requires "theory of mind". When I first heard the term I looked up the Sally-Anne test and assumed "autists lack theory of mind" was nonsense. You'd have to be literally retarded to fail the Sally-Anne test. But the crucial point is that the Sally-Anne test only tests first-order theory of mind. "What do I think Sally thinks?"

The Kanon examples are second-order of theory of mind. "What do I think Akiko thinks Makoto thinks?". Neurotypicals use up to third-order theory of mind! AFAIK no human has an intuitive understanding of fourth-order theory of mind.

The number of socially relevant entities is Dunbar's number, typically about 150. As you increase the depth of levels of minds understood there is a combinatorial explosion of paths to consider:

First-order: 150^1 = 150 (easy)
Second-order: 150^2 = 22500 (very difficult)
Third-order: 150^3 = 3375000 (impossible without hardware acceleration)
Fourth-order: 150^4 = 506250000 (impossible even with hardware acceleration)

This is the scale of the problem.
>>
OP link me that powerpoint you fag
>>
dunno if it's just me
but neurotypical doesn't sound good at all
like if I didn't know what it meant, I'd assume it was bad.
>>
>>29653876
It's used as a derogative term in autism forums and is the exact equivalent of "normie". So your hunch is correct.
>>
>>29653899
One would assume that they could deduce the meaning from the word itself.
Neuro is brains. Any normie can do that
Typical speaks for itself. Literally means typical brain.
So I don't see what you mean. It's likely as >>29653899 said.
Speaking of which, does anyone else notice frequent anti-intellectualism in normies? Its why they say shit like "ahaha I was never good at maths"
>>
>>29653876
Its better to be normal than an aspie beta lord.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.