[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is it about memes like "dat boi" and "damn
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
What is it about memes like "dat boi" and "damn daniel" that normies find funny?
I'm genuinely confused and unsure.
>>
>>29644143
Maybe it's vagueness/simplicity and ease of use irl?
>>
>>29644143
Notice how they both have that "ghetto/ebonics" thing to them.
A lot of teens of different races think it's cool to act like a nigger.
Before you jump on me for being a /pol/ bogeyman, keep in mind that I'm not white at all, mixed race, and have never even browsed or posted on /pol/. It's just an observation.
>>
I find dat boi kinda funny, but damn daniel isnt funny at all. Normie-originated memes are so bad
>>
Back when le epic maymay boom happened, I used to have some friends, and I remember they would go into the emerging meme pages on facebug and they'd start going through the memes.
I was there with them and noticed something. They started off with a smile in their face. They were predisposed to laugh. As long as they 'got' the joke (however unfunny it would be), they'd laugh. Because they were memes.
>>
>>29644160
It's possible.
I'm just confused because I look at the Wojaks, Pepes, and so on used here and I can understand the intent, what it means, and why it would make people laugh/why it makes me laugh. When I look at dat boi or damn daniel, I'm puzzled. Is damn daniel funny because of the way the guy says it? Because he did it multiple times? Because he's talking about a male friend? Is dat boi funny because it's silly? And stupid? Isn't there more to it?

I don't understand.
>>
>>29644226
What is funny about that boy, please explain. Genuinely curious
>>
>>29644143
sheep mentality.
they see people posting it on facebook/twitter and they repost it because they need to follow trends. knowing the meme means you're in "the know"
>>
>>29644257
I'm just as confused, thats why my guesses were so vague.
>>
>>29644143
It has no inherent meaning, it's really just nigger babble. I assume normies find it funny because its "random".
>>
It's easy to use in conversation
Greetings, burns, mix it into other memes for fun
It's so easy though, it's not fun
>>
The original propagators of the meme force it to hell, and it's easy because it's so vague and simplistic that you can use it in any situation.
Example: Caveman Spongebob can be used from any situation from "woah haha wacky that's awkward" to "woah haha zany that's so relatable"
From there it's mainly herd mentality ("Woah he got 3200 likes on that Dat Boi meme! Can't let him outdo me!"
>>
>>29644260
He looks funny
Waddap is kinda funny
Not entirely sure t b h pham lol
>>
>>29644225
>>Notice how they both have that "ghetto/ebonics" thing to them.
Pretty much this. See also: "salty".
>>
>>29644320
This. The more universal a meme is the easier it is to catch on and so memes that are basically just phrases spread fastest.
>>
>>29644260
I'm probably gonna fu k up explaining this but ill try.

Its funny in an ironic way, it's intentionally created to be stupid and nonsensical, the way a lot of ironic jokes are. The goal is to make your joke as close to unironic normie shit as possible. Dat boi is funny because it hits the sweet spot where it can pass for normie shit (notice normies eat it up) but it was created ironically.

The fact that normies love it only makes it funnier desu
>>
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who is vexed by these memes. However, my lack of understanding makes me feel insecure.

As a user of 4chan since its inception I feel like I'm more well versed in memeology than the typical internet user, but the genesis of these "normie memes" (which in most cases, did not originate on 4chan, unlike most other memes until now) is foreign to me. They don't make sense and most of the people I hear using them in real life are the same types of people that are the reason I don't tell people I browse the internet as much as I do. That's because they do it incessantly and annoyingly and are generally not pleasant to be around. It's not like they're autistic or anything, they have friends and lovers and jobs and everything. They're just insufferable, but I can't say anything because they'll just say "you don't get it", as I have said or thought about others throughout my life. Honestly I probably seem like a normal person, despite the fact that 4chan is basically my entire social life and entertainment. I'm worried I'll eventually become like every other old person, except in the future I'll be the one thinking memes from the 2000's are funny while my grandchildren are onto even crazier nonsensical memes, and I'll still complain like older generations complained about rock music when it first came out or whatever modern trend may be. I want to stay current but I just can't reconcile these feelings.

Sadly I occasionally will refer to these memes in everyday conversation just to appease those around me that find them funny, if only to feel accepted. But I am seriously questioning my life because I don't agree with the reasons and method by which these memes became popular.
>>
>>29644638
>postmodern bullcrap

Kys
>>
>>29644707
>tossing out buzzwords
likewise
>>
>>29644143
Normies think bad computer generated images and nigger-talk is funny.
>>
>metaphysically discussing memes

What a time to be alive
>>
>>29644807
>Futurologists
Will metrology become a field or does it already exist in propaganda/marketing firms?
>>
>>29644876
Trump propaganda dumbass.
>>
>>29644876
Metrology is the study of measurements and calibration, so yes metrology exists
If you meant some sort of meme science, yes the word meme was coined by a scientist for scientific reasons, it was actually Richard Dawkins
>>
i dont know what a damn daniel is but i do think dat boi is a good meme. and i am an experienced memesman. i have been here on 4chan since 2007
>>
>>29644260
describing a frog on a unicycle as one of your "boys" and then casually greeting him is a humorous prospect
>>
But i love that dat boi meme, its the only meme of the year so far. make something better and i'll be happy to call it shit
>>
>>29644730
>buzzwords

Umm no, postmodernism is centered in being 'le ironic' and smugness over the masses.
>>
>>29644930
Autocorrect, meant memeology.
>>29644895
Maybe he has also hired CTR, CTP, and Cruz's Memetic Solutions, but I was referring to a field with a similarly titled degree/job title. I dont know enough about propagandists and marketers to quantify how different each is.
>>29644930
Yes, however I am referring to a field with a similarly titled degree/job title. We have formal meteorologist, will we have memeologists or is it already fully covered in another field.
>>
>>29644654
Kys u fugn figlord
>>
>>29644143
stay away from twitter, twitter posters, twitter memes, etc
there's no reasoning with that kind of cancer
>>
>>29645065
>>29644638
>>29644335
>>29644749
Thank you for your perspectives, very helpful in understanding their motivations.
>>
>>29644143
it's about empathy, which robots don't have.
>>
>>29645172
What a fantastic reply. please give us more of your insight.
>>
>>29644257
>i get wojaks
>but not dat boi
you're literally just saying this for attention, which is awkward on a forum like this where nobody gives a shit what your "opinion" is. there's nothing funny at all about wojak, and there was never any "intent" you fucking idiot. the context is exactly the same. whether or not a consensus makes a meme funny is based on the quality of the shitposters who spam it and that is just a demographics problem. if some middle aged dude was spamming a poorly drawn stick figure with awkward language and jokes that make no sense, it passes like garbage. if a 13 year old does it with current, relateable shit, then the entire internet will love it. people like you exist to just take the fun out of some memes so you get attention, but almost nobody notices.
>>
File: 1441633464060.png (705 KB, 805x581) Image search: [Google]
1441633464060.png
705 KB, 805x581
It's pleasant to be on the other side of the meme curtain, is it not? Imagine how a normie must feel when witnessing Baneposting. How could he not understand the sublime detail of this masterpiece of cinema? Can he not see the genius at work behind every "For you"?

Take it as a perspective change, OP.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.