[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dear non-anglos: If a tourist came up to you, for whatever reason,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: 1457326636119.jpg (117 KB, 600x766) Image search: [Google]
1457326636119.jpg
117 KB, 600x766
Dear non-anglos: If a tourist came up to you, for whatever reason, for basic conversation, would you prefer they speak English, or your language in a bad accent? Do you like it when foreigners try their best at your language?
>>
File: IMG-20160627-WA0002.jpg (126 KB, 832x1182) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160627-WA0002.jpg
126 KB, 832x1182
In Europe you can just speak english and most people will understand, but it is fairly cute if a tourist really tries to speak the native language.
>>
>>29642961
Bad accent, or altogether bad language skills (poor grammar, incorrect/limited vocab, very slow and labored speech)?
>>
>>29642961
I wonder this too. I'm learning French and I have always wondered which would offput a frog more.
>>
>>29643043
Well, I imagine the laboured speech would be frustrating to listen to. Also, it's basic conversation. They will make some grammatical mistakes (like saying "They was" instead of "they were"), but nothing too bad.

I feel like non-Anglos are really harsh when it comes to foreigners not having a perfect accent. English-speakers don't care about accent, as long as we can understand you and you aren't extremely slow.
>>
>>29642961
As said above, people in Europe tend to appreciate when you're speaking a few words of their language, but there's no need to bother though, just greet them with the words of their languages and then speak english

For exemple, I travelled to Czech Republic and I'd say "Dobry Den" (Hello) to people, then i'd speak english.
>>
>>29643056
Frog here
I personnally don't care either way, but I believe most of the french would prefer you to speak french.
>>
>>29643191

That's more like a "good day" rather than a hello though
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.