[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any /ex-Christians/ here? >tfw you think you can just go
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (96 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96 KB, 500x500
Any /ex-Christians/ here?

>tfw you think you can just go back to church anytime so you don't go
>it's been 10 years
>>
>>29638138
I burnt those bridges during my edgy new-atheist phase.
Sometimes I miss it and the comfort that it provides, but then again I wouldn't be able to convince myself anymore anyway.
>>
>>29638205

Being atheist feels like heavy limbo man. Like I feel pushed around by the elements instead of having the strength to mold it.
>>
>>29638138
>family is forcing me to go on a week long mission trip thousands of miles away
>to scared to tell them I am an atheist
>trip is filled with people I know but haven't spoken to in years

Get deathly ill or seriously injured would be preferable
>>
>>29638306

Being an atheist is like being a spiritual neet.
>>
meh christians are just the most popular cult on this landmass, fuck em, their god is luke warm and nonsensical, their values are completely screwed up, the only reasonable thing for them to do is start a lottery for the purpose of deciding who kills the lot of them, garenteeing their places in heaven after repenting their sins of course, then fucking snuffing, let the rest of us actually enjoy life, pack of simpering cunts
>>
God is a part of me. By denying god I deny myself. Amen.
>>
>>29638297
Have you read The Stranger by Camus? Sounds like it might be of interest to you.
>>
>>29638362
By setting your cause upon god, you negate yourself.
>>
Can't say I don't miss being able to blend in easily. However I can't really convince myself anymore to believe. Doesn't matter anyways, my old friends eventually turned irreligious or atheist.
>>
>>29638396

Yeah I remember when I turned away.
>>
God is a delusion, so yes he is a part of you, most of us get over our imaginary friends before puberty
>>
>>29638138

>>29638371

This robot is a fucking nuisance.
>>
>>29638428

You're not God bucko so don't pretend like you are.
>>
When i first converted to atheism, i was scared of death.

For any of you in that situation, I'll tell you a nice quote i read from /r9k/.

It's like before you were born.
>>
perception being what it is, who can say for certain that they are not god?
>>
All you know it all pretenders, swim in the void of this emptiness.

You can deny God to yourself, but God is there.
>>
>>29638344
I don't know, you seem a little biased.
>>
>be raised christian
>as a little kid (like 6~8 years old), admit to myself that santa , easter bunny, etc don't exist
>also lump god onto that list
>mom is telling me god stuff one day
>say something along the lines of "mom i'm not a little kid anymore, i don't believe that stuff"
>she loses her shit

Learning that most of the world actually believes those things was a shocker. Luckily when I told my moderately religious friends, they all became atheists. So I wasn't alone.
>>
>>29638485
I can, I'm not "god". I can't change the world around me without using my physical body. No thoughts I ever make actually make a difference without action.

This is of course you're referring to god as an all-powerful, omnipotent being.
>>
To turn from God is to hurt.
>>
thinking about going back and being a mormon again.

after all this time thinking and reasoning, guess it wouldn't harm to try and be happy again
>>
Ex-Catholic here. Got kicked out of my church recently for talking back to the priest during a sermon.

>be me
>be at mass the Sunday after the Orlando Shooting
>pastor starts on a triumphant tirade about how the gays deserved it
>"But Father, Aren't you gay?"
>"I am not. How dare you, Anon!"
>"Ok ok, take it easy. I guess I just jumped to a conclusion when I saw how much you enjoy having that stick up your ass."
>get dragged outside by the guy next to me and beaten up
>priest later informs me I've been excommunicated
>>
I did a stint withe catholics and later the mormons(shudders), there is no good to be found in god's house, just cliquey back biting, and repetitive, self deluding nonsense ment to weakly rationalize an absurd notion and brainwashing their children to do the same. And every generation makes it a little worse
>>
>>29638531
i'm pretty sure the only reason religion still exists is because it is allowed and even encouraged to begin indoctrinating your children with ideas about god at an early age.

yes, it provides comfort but i'd rather have comfort from other people than a being that i'll never interact with.

yes, it helps people bond but other supportive communities exist.
>>
To know God is to be free
>>
Religion should be like sex and booze, illegal until your a legal adult
>>
>>29638598
fgkn hero
>>
Why does pain feel so good
>>
>>29638138
This is a nice fucking sculpture. I really hope it flows constantly like a fountain.
>>
You can be spiritual without going to church. A lot of it is area dependent.
like this guy
>>29638598
I am a catholic, I read the book and know or even forgot more about it than a lot of people that go to church. Try to follow what the Pope says.
It's like if you were driving a car, there are rules and lines in the road but sometimes there are situations you just move your wagon to avoid some bigger trouble. It's not like most of those other assholes are following the rules or even what's going on anyway.
>>
>>29638598
Woaw, you sure showed him!
>>
I want to be Christian again, it was nice and peaceful. I want to make myself believe, but I just can't. I know that I would be much more happier, if I believed in God and all that stuff
>>
God is always with me.

Like children we refuse to look
>>
you'd be happier if you were retarded to
>>
God is right. Atheists are sore losers.
>>
>>29638734

Then why bother having those rules in the first place? You ever seen dash cam footage of Russian drivers? Fucking bedlam over there man.
>>
I remember when I turned
>>
Used to believe in god when i was a kid, then i grew up and kinda forgot the whole thing, i think everyone in my family is agnostic or atheist anyways
>>
I turned away over a girl,
>>
I was raised catholic but I never really believed in god. That was all just "church stuff" to me.
I even went to jesus camp once. Got nothing out of it. I never realized I was actually supposed to believe in that stuff.
>>
My family used to go to church all the time until my dad passed. We went less but my mom would still force me. I never liked it, the people are nice besides the occasional gossip but it's not for me.

I'm counting down the weeks until I go to my out of state college. Where my mother can't try to guilt me into going. She told me to atleast go once a month but I just plan on finding the nearest church so I know where one is when she visits or so I can name drop one. Maybe go a week before she vists so I have a panflet
>>
I got my mom to stop trying to make me go to church when I was 16 even though I was still in Catholic school. I used to go with her on Christmas and Easter to make her happy but she stopped even going a few years ago. It's awkward now because there have been a few popes that changed everything and I don't know everything I'm supposed to say and when you stand and sit and shit. I really don't miss church. I actually forget people devote so much of their time to that shit.
>>
I used to be a good little catholic boy, but after a bunch of bad stuff that happened I pretty much completely lost my faith. It started whenright around the time most kids started to be attracted to girls I had funny feelings about guys. I also had this deep feeling of wanting to be a girl that only got worst when puberty hit. I got a bunch of anxiety attacks because of these feelings and I was afraid the Devil was going to drag my soul down to hell. To prevent this I'd sleep with 3 rosarys around my neck and go to sleep on top of a bible because i figured if the Devil tried to reach up and grab my soul the bible would burn his hands. I started developing weird compulsions where i had to do the sign of the cross three times every time i would walk into my room, and i had to flip the bible open to a passage where Jesus is talking and read the whole thing. My panic attacks kept getting worse even though i prayed every night for God to save me. I started drinking holy water that I bought from a Catholic bookstore and one Sunday I actually had a panic attack in church. It freaked my mom out. She had to take me out of church cause I was inconsolable. I thought that since the panic attack happened at church it meant I wasn't safe from the Devil anymore and that God abandoned me. I told my mom about the gay thoughts but was too afraid to talk about the trans stuff and she cried and prayed and told me she wouldn't let the Devil get me. She took me to our priest and he gave me like some sort of blessing/mini exorcism thing. I felt okay for like a few days but the panic attacks cane back and I'd start screaming in the middle of the night feeling like I was dying. I started thinking there were shadows following me around. My mom tried taking me to the blessing thing again, but it helped even less this time.

This is a lot longer than i thought it'd be. I'll continue though.
>>
File: cfba9mG.png (28 KB, 957x751) Image search: [Google]
cfba9mG.png
28 KB, 957x751
>tfw baptised as Lutheran
>even if I leave church I'm still one of God's children
>tfw going to heaven no matter what
>death to Jews
>>
File: 1438553437869.gif (2 MB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
1438553437869.gif
2 MB, 300x168
>mfw The story of Job
>>
>>29638834
I'm not in control of what other people do.
It doesn't matter if I exist or not.
I'm in control of what I do while I'm here.

It doesn't matter what I do is good or not. If it was good it benefited society to keep me alive. If it wasn't it benefited it to stop it.
>>
>>29639767
The next sunday the priest told us about this guy who was coming to our city. He was one of those faith healers from the mega churches. I could go there to be healed. I looked up stuff about him and saw all these videos where these people said they were healed. How they fell over crying and shaking saying they were bathed in God's Love. I got really hopeful and was thinking this would help. This would keep me safe. My mom was going to take me out of school that day so we could pray at the chapel and stuff before going. When the day came I was excited and told God i was ready to be healed and not have these bad thoughts and feelings anymore. We went to the event and the mega church guy gave a big sermon and then started talking about how he could "feel God's Love in the building" and that when there's enough Love miracles can happen. He started doing his healing thing and we got in the line to be healed. I remember getting close and seeing people laughing and crying and shaking with joy. It was my turn and he told me to accept God in my heart and let him wash away my pain. I closed my eyes and he laid his hands on me and said a prayer and kinda tipped my head back. And even though i had been getting ready all day, even though I was so ready to recieve God, I felt nothing. I expected to see light or feel peace or something but I felt nothing. My mom asked me how I felt after, I lied and said I felt amazing. The next few days I still had panic attacks, I did my best to keep my panic attacks quiet. I looked for help online. Eventually i went to my school counselor and told them about my gay thoughts and how think they were giving me panic attacks. I told her I didn't want my parents to know about this. She helped me as best she could by listening and telling me its okay to feel like I feel and that I shouldnt harbor so much guilt for it. I got better. I'm sure it's because I stopped believing in God, and that got rid of a lot of my guilt
>>
>>29638344
Wew lad. The projecting in this post is crazy.
>>
>>29640175

>I'm in control of what I do while I'm here.

How can anything be causa sui?
>>
>>29638138
I don't want to be edgy for that fountain in the OP goes hard as fuck.
>>
File: 1332993116545.jpg (45 KB, 500x770) Image search: [Google]
1332993116545.jpg
45 KB, 500x770
Any 25+ year olds who are still in an angry atheist phase?

It just seems so pointless to me. Religion creates a sense of belonging and assuages fear of death for billions of people and all the dank Richard Dawkins memes aren't going to change that.

Pic not really related.
>>
>>29638306
>Get deathly ill or seriously injured would be preferable
Then seriously injure yourself somehow. Seems obvious.
>>
File: 2q3werdf.png (330 KB, 627x430) Image search: [Google]
2q3werdf.png
330 KB, 627x430
>>29640425
>that image
Ricky was a hero, a shame he was only a few days late to enact his revenge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p0-iLcx4es
>>
File: 1332992260593.jpg (74 KB, 534x553) Image search: [Google]
1332992260593.jpg
74 KB, 534x553
>>29640578

Yeah, I've got a whole Children of God folder on my computer. Always been interested in cults, dysfunctional families, and crime stuff.
>>
>>29640425
>Religion creates a sense of belonging and assuages fear of death
>following a religion not because you believe it's correct, but because it makes you feel better about yourself
>>
File: 1466812873890.png (48 KB, 626x1070) Image search: [Google]
1466812873890.png
48 KB, 626x1070
>>29640790
>wanting to be correct about things
>>
>>29638344
>Their values are completely screwed up
Isn't it weird that the countries based on Judaeo-Christian values are the also the best places to live in terms of freedoms, salaries, and life expectancy.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.